Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight training query

Options
  • 07-02-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently have started weight training at home and i am looking for advice.
    I'm looking to build upper body muscle and strength but i have read a lot of varying opinions on programs and diet etc.
    For example : use heavy weights and do low reps ???
    take protein supplements or not ???
    muscle groups to work and how often ???

I know this covers a lot of info, but any advice to make sure i'm not wasting my time would be great.
    I am currently doing chest flys, bench presses, bicep curl and tricep exercises with bar and dumbell about 3 times a week.

Thanks...........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

For a start, work your whole body. Even if your goal is a spectacular chest, you'll get there quicker if you also do squats and deadlifts, since those lifts increase testosterone and growth hormone.

Lift heavy. Make sure you have your form down perfection (check out www.exrx.net) for little thumbnail videos on the correct technique. Then increase the weight until you have to struggle to finish a set of eight reps. When you can do ten, it's time to increase the weights. Lower weights for more reps feels just as hard, but won't push your muscles the same way.

Of course, you can always have the occasional way of low weights with high repts, just to mix things up, but you do need heavy weights to force your body to build more muscle.

A protein supplement, like a whey shake, directly after lifting is an excellent idea. Apart from that, you probably don't need protein supplements if your diet is good and based on fresh whole foods like eggs, meat, fish, chicken, lots of green veg, some dairy, nuts, fruit and wholegrains. Limit junk and processed foods, and anything with a lot of sugar or transfats.

Compound lifts are the way to go at this stage. Bench press, squat, deadlift, stiffleg deadlift, military press, dips, pull-ups, hyperextension, woodchopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rookie76

Thanks EileenG.

Had a quick look at the website. looks to have all the info I need. I hope to start new training program this week, and will take your advice on baord.

Cheers.......

Advertisement