Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis advice regarding physique and anatomy in the work of Michelangelo

Options
  • 06-02-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm working with a few people on a thesis at the moment but I thought some of you here might be interested as it relates to anatomy and physique. I was a gym instructor and personal trainer for a few years and I've also studied anatomy in Trinity so feel free to throw anatomical and training terms at me, I'm sure there's a dictionary around here somewhere;)

In brief, my thesis is based on the work of Michelangelo who practiced dissection as part of his studies to better understand the human form. It is my proposal that while he may have understood elements of anatomy, his understanding was mainly based in the aesthetic and he lacked a full understanding of the functions of muscle groups, showing no regard for i.e. flexion or extension, opposing muscle groups, articulation of joints, muscle to fat ratios or the practical nature of anatomy as a functional entity. It is my opinion that he applies a 'copy and paste' method to his constructions, taking features from one form (somatotype) and combining them with another to create what he considered the 'ideal form'. I believe his creations if real would have suffered painful problems and injuries stemming from the muscle imbalance.
    Some who have looked into the work in the past state that his figure are 'anatomical impossibilities' but nobody has said why this is so.
    The opinion in the art historical field for the most part is that Michelangelo could do no wrong, 'if he painted it, then it is correct.'
    He didn't use models and believed his work was an improvement on nature.

If anybody finds this in any way of interest, feel free to drop me a pm and I'll forward you some more details and images.
    Cheers,
    Karl

Advertisement