Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting to squat..........no balance!

Options
  • 05-02-2010 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

hi, i joined a gym this time last yr to lose some fat, gain a bit of muscle and basically become fitter and healthier.all went well im in a million times better shape than i was but ive hit a brick wall lately so decided to try up the intensity a bit.
    up until now though i havent been including squats in my workout. i presumed (and probably wrongly so) that my legs were fairly strong-high enough weights on machines, high resistance on bike, cross trainer etc.

so i bit the bullet, and on hearing the many recommendations about squatting, to try and incorporate it.i got a big reality check to say the least-problem is even with just a basic standing squat (no weight) i lose my balance an awful lot. im using a swiss ball against the wall now so im not all over the place and build up strength in my legs.

im at a loss though, i cant ever see me squatting with weights if i cant get my balace in order-anyone any suggestions/tips?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Balance was never a problem with me so i can't speak from experience but i imagine some of it may be psychological. Try taking the bar off the rack at a height where you don't have to stand on your toes to take it off. Step back a bit and hold the bar in a manner that is comforable to you. I grip just slightly wider than shoulder width. Some people like to wrap their arms over the bar and i've ever seen people hold close to the plates. The wider your hands are the more balanced you should be i would guess. Just try holding a plate-less bar in the upright position and get comforable holding it. Then slowly squat down keeping the pressue on your heals. Don't leave forward too much or try shifting the weight to your toes. When you squat down try holding it there for a few seconds. Again until you feel comfortable in that postion. And then push up keeping your heels flat on the ground. Looking up youtube for instructional videos will show you the mechanics of a proper squat. Or maybe you could try squatting with dumbbells until you get used to the movement. As i said i've never had an issue with balance so i'm just guessing here and thinking of things i might have done if i had that problem.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

df1985 wrote: »
    i cant ever see me squatting with weights if i cant get my balace in order-anyone any suggestions/tips?

Try a wider stance so you drop down more between your feet rather than behind them (if that makes sense).

I had the same problem with toppling over backwards when starting out with just bodyweight squats. This problem dissappeared once I got used to the movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

df1985 wrote: »
    hi, i joined a gym this time last yr to lose some fat, gain a bit of muscle and basically become fitter and healthier.all went well im in a million times better shape than i was but ive hit a brick wall lately so decided to try up the intensity a bit.
    up until now though i havent been including squats in my workout. i presumed (and probably wrongly so) that my legs were fairly strong-high enough weights on machines, high resistance on bike, cross trainer etc.

so i bit the bullet, and on hearing the many recommendations about squatting, to try and incorporate it.i got a big reality check to say the least-problem is even with just a basic standing squat (no weight) i lose my balance an awful lot. im using a swiss ball against the wall now so im not all over the place and build up strength in my legs.

im at a loss though, i cant ever see me squatting with weights if i cant get my balace in order-anyone any suggestions/tips?

thanks.

As stated, the problem could well be psychological or more specifically neuromuscular. It doesn't sound like mobility is your problem. You can try squatting with a mini-band around your knees in order to activate the stabiliser muscles which will help to stabilise the femur in the squatting movement. Squatting beginners are very often under utilising both the gluts and the abductor/adductor muscles and activation exercises such as supinated bridging will assist you here. Another way to teach stability in the squat is this:

1. Stand tall with your hands above your head with a medecine ball or other raised surface on the ground in front of you.

2. Flex your spine and place your two hands flat on the med ball (you should now be bent over double)

3. Now follow your hands and sit back into a squat position while keeping your hands on the ball.

4. Once in the sitting position, raise one hand above your head, followed by the other. You should be sitting back with arms outstretched.

5. Rise out of the squat.

If there is any pain in spinal flexion, avoid this exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Exact same thing happened me. Was squatting on smith machine and going grand. Left the smith and literally had 10kg either side and cudnt keep my balance. Within two weeks I had 25kg either side and no problem with balance. Try what people are saying here but I think time and little bit of power you build in muscles you not been working enough before the balance will come!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I'm in no way an expert, but I think mobility is a possible issue. If you have some problem with flexibility in your hips, knees or ankles it can throw your whole squat off.

Check this out. http://www.exrx.net/Testing/FlexFunction/DeepSquat.html. It's really a test that should be administered by an expert, but have a go and see if you can get into the pose described. It might give you a feeling for if something is tight.

Other than that, it might just be that you need to practice the motion. Practice, practice, practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Well first of all, it's nothing to do with strength, so don't despair. This is very common with beginners and is usually down to a simple lack of flexibility. I'd recommend getting a good warm-up in before squatting and also stretching the hip flexors for several minutes (and even between sets if needed).

Also keep an eye on your form. Make sure you are really 'sitting in' to the movement - it's common to just bend at the knees and hope for the best. Form is really important. Head straight ahead, chest big and 'up', sit back like you're sitting into a chair, keep knees pointing ahead as you go down.

I'm in no way an expert, but I think mobility is a possible issue. If you have some problem with flexibility in your hips, knees or ankles it can throw your whole squat off.

Check this out. http://www.exrx.net/Testing/FlexFunction/DeepSquat.html. It's really a test that should be administered by an expert, but have a go and see if you can get into the pose described. It might give you a feeling for if something is tight.

Other than that, it might just be that you need to practice the motion. Practice, practice, practice.
    Chet Zar wrote: »
    Well first of all, it's nothing to do with strength, so don't despair. This is very common with beginners and is usually down to a simple lack of flexibility. I'd recommend getting a good warm-up in before squatting and also stretching the hip flexors for several minutes (and even between sets if needed).

Also keep an eye on your form. Make sure you are really 'sitting in' to the movement - it's common to just bend at the knees and hope for the best. Form is really important. Head straight ahead, chest big and 'up', sit back like you're sitting into a chair, keep knees pointing ahead as you go down.

In relation to the above, these are fair points but they are still attempting to get the OP to do what we cannot physically do. There is one way to find out if it's a mobility issue or not. Lie on your back and pull your knees towards yours chest, replicating the deep squat position (except on your back). if you can assume this position, mobility is not the issue here - stability is. If that is the case, run the drill I posted above and just keep practicing squatting. We could all perform this movement as young kids but somewhere along the line, for whatever reason, the motor pattern went awol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

J-Fit wrote: »
    There is one way to find out if it's a mobility issue or not. Lie on your back and pull your knees towards yours chest, replicating the deep squat position (except on your back). if you can assume this position, mobility is not the issue here - stability is.

This position won't test ankle flexibility.

Correct but it doesn't really matter. Ankle flexibility only really limits a squat pattern when the feet are kept parallel. Thats why most people squat with feet in a 10 to 2 position, it negates a lack of ankle flexibility. If the OP does feel he has a problem with ankle flexibility, he can squat with the heels raised on a board. I have poor ankle flexibility but I can still hit a heavily loaded, rock-bottom squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

I had very poor flexibility in my IT bands and Hip flexors so the stretching advice is spot on!! every day 3x8 stetches!!
    On a sidenote you are not alone. Doing circuits with my g.a.a team at moment and one station is bodyweight squats. The lack of flexibility and ability to do squats actually scares me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Correct but it doesn't really matter. Ankle flexibility only really limits a squat pattern when the feet are kept parallel. Thats why most people squat with feet in a 10 to 2 position, it negates a lack of ankle flexibility. If the OP does feel he has a problem with ankle flexibility, he can squat with the heels raised on a board. I have poor ankle flexibility but I can still hit a heavily loaded, rock-bottom squat.

Can you explain that to me a bit please? How does the angle between the feet change the angle the shin is going to make with the ankle joint? You can negate ankle flexibility by keeping the shin vertical (or as close as you can get) while you squat yes, but you can do that with a multitude of feet positions. Not trying to be an ass, just trying to see where you're coming from with this.

You're right though, unless it's a whopper tightness it's not going to matter.

Can you explain that to me a bit please? How does the angle between the feet change the angle the shin is going to make with the ankle joint? You can negate ankle flexibility by keeping the shin vertical (or as close as you can get) while you squat yes, but you can do that with a multitude of feet positions. Not trying to be an ass, just trying to see where you're coming from with this.

You're right though, unless it's a whopper tightness it's not going to matter.

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you keep the shin vertical in an attempt to take the ankles out of the equation, you'll likely have to use the low bar position and/or push your backside back outwards, thus turning it into more of a good morning type of movement. This may also expose a lack of hip mobility. This is ok for powerlifting but not so good for sport or general keep fit. There is no rule stating that the shins should remain vertical, in fact the knees should track out over the feet, putting the tibia at a similar angle to the trunk. Does that explain anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Stick the sweeping brush accross your shoulders and squat. If you feel a tightness somewhere then that's the problem (hips or calves). This might make it easier (initially) to get a feel for different squat positions. I highly recommend the feet pointing out slightly as posted earlier. Some people simply may not be used to this, or are too tight in some areas to complete the squat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you keep the shin vertical in an attempt to take the ankles out of the equation, you'll likely have to use the low bar position and/or push your backside back outwards, thus turning it into more of a good morning type of movement. This may also expose a lack of hip mobility. This is ok for powerlifting but not so good for sport or general keep fit. There is no rule stating that the shins should remain vertical, in fact the knees should track out over the feet, putting the tibia at a similar angle to the trunk. Does that explain anything?

I low-bar squat all the time and it works just fine for my sports. But I digress, that's another argument altogether.

What I was getting at was your point that ankle flexibility only matters if the feet are parallel. Why is this? My point about the vertical shins was that the only point where ankle flexibility doesn't matter is if the tibia and ankle joint stay fixed during the movement.

This is the bit I'm on a bout
    Ankle flexibility only really limits a squat pattern when the feet are kept parallel. Thats why most people squat with feet in a 10 to 2 position, it negates a lack of ankle flexibility.

I low-bar squat all the time and it works just fine for my sports. But I digress, that's another argument altogether.

What I was getting at was your point that ankle flexibility only matters if the feet are parallel. Why is this? My point about the vertical shins was that the only point where ankle flexibility doesn't matter is if the tibia and ankle joint stay fixed during the movement.

This is the bit I'm on a bout

The reason I says high bar is better for sports is that it causes a more upright trunk, better activated gluts and creates a greater need to increase rate of force development but you're right - a different kettle of fish.

Try and do a rock bottom overhead squat with your feet placed shoulder width and completely parallel to each other (facing forward). There should be no forward lean and the tibia should be at the exact same angle as the torso. The bar or stick should be held behind the head and directly over the ankles. If you lack mobility at the ankles and you stay true to the criteria of the movement, you'll soon see why ankle mobility is so important when feet are parallel. If you are having difficulty hitting rock bottom (due to poor ankle mob), you will lean forward and the ankles will almost instantly shoot outwards to allow you to get down. The reason I say it only matters if the feet are parallel is because most of the time when the feet shoot out, you should be able to complete a fairly decent squat. I may have jumped the gun a little - ankle flexibility is always important but because most people squat "10 to 2" it's never really a major factor - I myself am a typical example of this.

The ankle problems usually originate from tight calves (gastroc and soleus) and fascia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

thanks for all the advice everyone....i'll get there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Just keep plugging away at the position, avoid over-complicating the movement and probably don't read this topic :). Your best bet is to get someone to watch you and correct your form.

J-Fit,

I disagree with your assertion that ankle flexibility isn't a problem. I've seen plenty of ankle flex isssues with regular squatting. We don't see as many as we tend to emphasis the box squat over the regular squat but I'd see them just the same.

Just keep plugging away at the position, avoid over-complicating the movement and probably don't read this topic :). Your best bet is to get someone to watch you and correct your form.

J-Fit,

I disagree with your assertion that ankle flexibility isn't a problem. I've seen plenty of ankle flex isssues with regular squatting. We don't see as many as we tend to emphasis the box squat over the regular squat but I'd see them just the same.

I agree with you. What I mean is if the problem isn't dramatic it generally won't prevent you from hitting a pretty decent rock bottom squat. I am a case in point. I have a definite ankle mobility problem but it's not a limiting factor for me because of my squatting style. Ankle flexibility in ANY style, whether with parallel or angled feet can be a problem if the range of motion is extremely poor, but certain stances enable us to complete the movement regardless. I think we're splitting the atom here and as you said to the guy, continued efforts will pay off.

Advertisement