Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF: O2 Ireland Tethering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I thought the 3G & 3GS releases were customer service fiascos, but a third fiasco? What's the extension of that line about one being misfortune & two being carelessness.

I've read close to 10 pages tonight of the O2 thread and as far as I can figure out, the situation is this:
    - if you signed up for a new contract recently, you will be charged either 10,000 or 20,000 a gigabyte if you tether without a tethering addon.
    - if you didn't sign up for a new contract, you will be charged either 10,000 or 20,000 if you tether the "wrong way" i.e. by using the wrong APN. Do 99% of O2s customers know what an APN is or where it is set? Not a hope, I look forward to O2 trying to enforce this.
    - If you didn't sign up for a new contract, you can use your 1gb allowance to tether. Maybe. Using some APN that, if you get it wrong, will cost you 10,000 or 20,000 euros.
    - O2 have announced these prices because of a rush to get tethering out, a hugely complicated affair which involves massive technical changes and discussions with Apple, the UN and the Sultan of Brunei. The changes have been rushed through in a speedy response to the 2 year call by customers for tethering. O2 will be revising the prices very soon. Or something. But they are doing this for our benefit. The latest prices. Which will change. Or maybe not. Or you could be using the wrong APN anyway and it wouldn't matter. The situation is very fluid and is changing by the minute.

I'm afraid to touch my phone tonight in case I bankrupt myself. Of course I could be using the wrong APN anyway and I'll bankrupt myself by not touching my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

hmmm wrote: »
    I thought the 3G & 3GS releases were customer service fiascos, but a third fiasco? What's the extension of that line about one being misfortune & two being carelessness.

I've read close to 10 pages tonight of the O2 thread and as far as I can figure out, the situation is this:
    - if you signed up for a new contract recently, you will be charged either 10,000 or 20,000 a gigabyte if you tether without a tethering addon.
    - if you didn't sign up for a new contract, you will be charged either 10,000 or 20,000 if you tether the "wrong way" i.e. by using the wrong APN. Do 99% of O2s customers know what an APN is or where it is set? Not a hope, I look forward to O2 trying to enforce this.
    - If you didn't sign up for a new contract, you can use your 1gb allowance to tether. Maybe. Using some APN that, if you get it wrong, will cost you 10,000 or 20,000 euros.
    - O2 have announced these prices because of a rush to get tethering out, a hugely complicated affair which involves massive technical changes and discussions with Apple, the UN and the Sultan of Brunei. The changes have been rushed through in a speedy response to the 2 year call by customers for tethering. O2 will be revising the prices very soon. Or something. But they are doing this for our benefit. The latest prices. Which will change. Or maybe not. Or you could be using the wrong APN anyway and it wouldn't matter. The situation is very fluid and is changing by the minute.

I'm afraid to touch my phone tonight in case I bankrupt myself. Of course I could be using the wrong APN anyway and I'll bankrupt myself by not touching my phone.

Excellent post.
    I can see a lot of people moving to vodafone as a result of this mess.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I tool out an iPhone in Dec, for65 pm with 1gb. I rang up in jan an they nicely put me on the new tarrif, no extension needed and it was5e cheaper. And unlimited download(capped at 3gb) so can anyone clear up do I have tethering now for free? My extra budle is free texts to any network.
    How do I check what apn setting is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

My O2 contract is up in a few weeks. I won't be renewing because of the tethering policy and 18 month contract.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Thanks for the update Daryll.

Lucky I didnt switch to the new contract as they will still be caught for a minimum €12.50 extra per month just to tether 1 Gb.

Pity its not free 1Gb for everyone and charge addons for over that. fairest solution for all!

agreed, those new contracts look to have been launched to try and catch people out. Sorry to say that the advice to not trust O2 about treating you well if you are signed up to a new 18 month contract was right on the nose.

Interesting about the apn also, O2 can't get away with advising people to move to it because their systems are incredibly unreliable and then charge people a fortune if they acutally use them exactly as designed.

good review of the situation above!
    It's funny to read just how much O2 can feck things up given half a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sounds like 02 are scum... 18 month contracts, more expensive contracts just to have an iphone and now fooling their customers into these crazy new contracts... in a way that strikes me as devious...

I realise how popular the jesus phone is, but at this stage there are plenty of viable alternatives... BTW I'm on meteor and only pay €40 for my calls with 10gb of data for my android phone, with tethering.... my advice is to leave 02 behind...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

move to meteor and get a htc hero instead. Root your phone (takes 20 minutes or less) and get an app called "Wireless tether for root users". it works great and I gave back my o2 mobile dongle because using my phone is cheaper.
    No need to root, there's a free tethering app. In the market. Pda net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

AS I said before, but a bit more politely, mobile phone companies are the scum of the earth!! This is absolutely pathetic carry on by O2.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Valentia wrote: »
    AS I said before, but a bit more politely, mobile phone companies are the scum of the earth!! This is absolutely pathetic carry on by O2.

the problem is that they are all pretty much the same. it's trying to pick the feckers who will shaft you the least, a lottery at best.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Excellent post.
    I can see a lot of people moving to vodafone as a result of this mess.

I don't know if VF will be a lot better. They can't even get their website working correctly in over 6 months..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Valentia wrote: »
    just in this country, vf in oz were fantastic value when i lived there, just 02 and vf have it sown up here, so will ride us up the ass at every opportunity, fact
    in this country you get punished financially for wanting to own a cutting edge iphone

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I agreed to the new 18 month contract and its in place as far as I know but i never signed anything. I wonder am I legally tied in to it now?

Really hacked off with O2 about this as I specifically brought up the issue of tethering with the O2 guy who called me about the new contract, he fobbed me off saying he knew nothing about it, while now it is clear these new contracts are all part of their devious plan to screw more money out of us.

Is there not a cooling off period in contracts whereby you can change your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Tazzle wrote: »
    Is there not a cooling off period in contracts whereby you can change your mind?

Unsure about that one but a customer on the O2 forums said he changed his mind and didnt want to start new contract over the tethering issue. They switched him back as I dont think his current bill period finished.

Lenny wrote: »
    I tool out an iPhone in Dec, for65 pm with 1gb. I rang up in jan an they nicely put me on the new tarrif, no extension needed and it was5e cheaper. And unlimited download(capped at 3gb) so can anyone clear up do I have tethering now for free? My extra budle is free texts to any network.

Did you read the o2 forum thread posted here ?

No you don't have free tethering.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

How do I check what apn setting is it?

You would have had free tethering if you remained on old plan. You must pay a minimum of €12.50 for a bundle otherwise be caught for a massive bill!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea I notice that now..
    updated my phone there yesterday or something.. didn't read up or anything and tethered on it.. I litterly turned it on, went to speedtest.net and did a speedtest and loaded the boards.ie front page...
    did 3.16MB and I have a charge of €26.50, whoopsie,
    they really should send EVERYONE a text message with a iphone to let them know about the plans, because when I changed over there a month ago I changed over to the "unlimited" plan, like data is still data, right?
    I will not be using the tethering again, and I wouldn't really have the need for it only for if I was going away for the weekend it'd be nicer if ya could pay the €12.50 for a download allounce and use that up instead of paying it monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I litterly turned it on, went to speedtest.net and did a speedtest and loaded the boards.ie front page...
    did 3.16MB and I have a charge of €26.50, whoopsie,
    That's outrageous. Someone is almost inevitably going to inadvertently get a mind boggling bill from o2 (in the thousands). I can see a scenario where someone gets their new phone, is playing with the settings and switches on tethering and then connects to test it, without being aware of the requirement to purchase a plan to not incur massive charges.

O2 are being idiots in allowing this situation. If I buy a new phone, I shouldn't have to understand the minutiae of their terms and conditions to avoid racking up huge bills e.g. international roaming is disabled by default to prevent this.

And you know what, that person won't have to pay it because the rules have been such a disgrace.

They'll be let off with it and rightly so, so run up the bills all you like, the terms and conditions are so bloody misleading, I'd refuse to pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lrandc

That's outrageous. Someone is almost inevitably going to inadvertently get a mind boggling bill from o2 (in the thousands). I can see a scenario where someone gets their new phone, is playing with the settings and switches on tethering and then connects to test it, without being aware of the requirement to purchase a plan to not incur massive charges.

O2 are being idiots in allowing this situation. If I buy a new phone, I shouldn't have to understand the minutiae of their terms and conditions to avoid racking up huge bills e.g. international roaming is disabled by default to prevent this.

I got charged €186 to read the Irish Times and a few other news sites and receive a few emails. Total 22mb of data. I was testing the tethering malarkey on the train and assumed that it was part of my data usage. Just checked my details online. I think need a drink!

I spoke to a few robots in O2 who said I basically have to lie back and enjoy the fact that they are screwing me with me pants on! I verbally agreed to another contract a week before and would be liable to a cancellation charge if I broke the terms... otherwise, I'd be knocking on vodaphone's door.

With hind sight, I know it's naive to think that O2 wouldn't charge extra for something like this. They are a multinational company after all. But to be screwed like this is still sore. Lack of a warning here too is pretty underhanded.

I'm off to light up a Cuban with a €100 note and snort cocaine off the butt of the supermodel that's just cleaned me Bentley.

O2, you are a shower of shiny sh1tes!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

lrandc, the situation you describe appears to be part and parcel of o2 Ireland's new business model. If I were you, I'd get onto Rod Coleman, head of customer service at o2 ireland:

http://ie.linkedin.com/pub/rod-coleman/4/487/78b

As Rod himself says:
    "The use of social media has ensured that any company not living the Customer Experience will be exposed with brutal honesty. PR is less about spin and more about delivery, because the ownership of it has migrated to the Customer. Now, more than ever, you are what you do."

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Thanks for that. I haven't time to be battling with phone operators in O2, and I know they are just doing their job... a job I wouldn't relish in the slightest. I called one of them a robot at one stage... I'm not proud and I know it's not her fault.. just O2's really stupid policy of ripping off unaware customers. How many other people are going to be charged an extortionate rate for simple data usage? It's absurd. I viewed that 22mb as a test run to see how much if at all I was to be charged extra for tethering. If online I saw a charge for 20 blips It would have been realistic, but €186?
    It's gas, isn't it? Just another day in the good old ROI. Stung at every turn.

Different sailor... same boat...
    http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=8810&highlight=feed
    Stinks to high heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Any chance that o2 could be forced to do something like this for Data Usage costs when at home - forget about even when roaming
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8543341.stm

Of course, they could just have an easy to use reasonably priced service, but that could be too much to ask for :P

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Donnchadh1

lrandc wrote: »
    I verbally agreed to another contract a week before and would be liable to a cancellation charge if I broke the terms... otherwise, I'd be knocking on vodaphone's door.

Have you gone through your first billing cycle yet. I think I read (O2 forum)that if you haven't gone through your bill cycle date you might be able to cancel your new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

O2 are a sneaky shower who catch the customer at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Donnchadh1 wrote: »
    Have you gone through your first billing cycle yet. I think I read (O2 forum)that if you haven't gone through your bill cycle date you might be able to cancel your new contract.

Yes, there's often a "change of mind" period of a week or two.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I got a data charge of €226 for using just over 25mb with o2 in just over 2 weeks!. The robots tell me i've been using the wrong APN. My phone is not an iphone but its obvious they are not too found of telling customers when they are on the wrong APN, I wonder why :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pocco

Hello everyone.. :)
    I have an iphone with 02 on their new o2 advanced price plan with unlimited data.
    I changed my tarriff back in Janurary and sence then i have been charged for all my data use which has added up to some €761 odd which o2 want me to pay. it was more but they credited by account for last months bill as they didnt know what was happenin... but now they say i was using my iphone as a modem. Which i wasn't :mad:
    then they said i changed my apn settings... which i didnt think you could do.. :confused:
    Has anyone, other than me had the same problem???? :eek:
    Regards,
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Can you get in touch with us over on our forum and I will take a look at the situation for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pocco

no i can get onto it o2 have be block or something... i can't get on it.. i took it up with 02 customer service with no look or much help from them

Advertisement