Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia Interview Feedback

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 orlz2

hi marram..can u tell me what was the name of the course in C N G? i had my interview yesterday and just found out i didnt get it! I am devastated but have tha application ready to send again! and would love to do a course to help! would really appriciate if you let me know which course it was.. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 t.ray

Hi guys I have my Second interview for Hibneria the 18th May. I didnt get in last time based on my Irish which surprised me as i attained an all irish primary school and my irish has been ok. im really nervous because I really want to get it. Im nervous about the Quotes they give too. just wondering if anyone could give me advice. im new to this so not sure if im doing right. all the posts im reading seem to be last years posts. any help would be great. thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lizeob

t.ray wrote: »
    Hi guys I have my Second interview for Hibneria the 18th May. I didnt get in last time based on my Irish which surprised me as i attained an all irish primary school and my irish has been ok. im really nervous because I really want to get it. Im nervous about the Quotes they give too. just wondering if anyone could give me advice. im new to this so not sure if im doing right. all the posts im reading seem to be last years posts. any help would be great. thanks :)

Hey just did my interview today. dont know what to expect. I had prepared loads of questions and they ended up asking really basic stuff like what I had for lunch, etc. I actually got flustered coz I had only the other questions in my mind. really hope I passed it:rolleyes:

t.ray wrote: »

Hey just did my interview today. dont know what to expect. I had prepared loads of questions and they ended up asking really basic stuff like what I had for lunch, etc. I actually got flustered coz I had only the other questions in my mind. really hope I passed itrolleyes.gif

I had my 2nd hibernia interview yesterday, when I found out I didnt get it the 1st time I reapplied straight away filling in the application form the same as I did previously...also had my 2nd interview within a month of applying so keep applying!!

Felt my interview went a lot better than the 1st time, as others have said in my 1st irish interview I kept getting interrupted and asked the same questions in different tenses but yesterday was much better...

English questions...
    Degree...how has it lead you to hibernia and the skills that you have gained?
    Why primary school teaching??
    What motivates me to be a primary school teacher??

Irish questions...
    Preparation for the interview
    Holidays
    Pastimes
    Where and when do i play camogie
    What will i do next weekend
    Do i hear a lot of irish being spoken in my local town

English questions...
    Cant really remember the quote, something along the lines of primary education is the foundation for future education.
    It skills
    Role of the principal
    Special Needs Children within the classroom
    Work, college, life balance.

Good luck everyone, hope we all hear good news!!!

Hey just did my interview today. dont know what to expect. I had prepared loads of questions for the Irish and they ended up asking really basic stuff like what I had for lunch, etc. I actually got flustered coz I had only the other questions in my mind. really hope I passed itrolleyes.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gowerhouseuk

I too just got accepted into Hibernia after my second interview!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fmck21

Hi gowerhouseuk, congrats on getting accepted. I am due to do my first interview monday 13th of June and after reading all of these posts I am now really nervous. I was relaxed until now. Were the irish q's hard? Can you give any tips? or does anyone have some tips who has done the interview recently. I think they are doing alot of them right now??? Thanks a mill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lillymai

HI there i have applied to Hibernia and hopefully will have my interview soon! I need some recent tips on questions especially irish as they seem to vary a lot,should I wear a suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lillymai

fmck21 wrote: »
    Hi gowerhouseuk, congrats on getting accepted. I am due to do my first interview monday 13th of June and after reading all of these posts I am now really nervous. I was relaxed until now. Were the irish q's hard? Can you give any tips? or does anyone have some tips who has done the interview recently. I think they are doing alot of them right now??? Thanks a mill.
    How was your interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carnage11

hey there,
    i have my interview on tuesday, i have just sat my LC honours irish, so can anyone tell me if the interview is along the same lines as the oral??
    also, i have heard that they dont offer you a place on your first interview, this cant be true is all cases, can it??
    quiet nervous now, so can anyone give me any tips on it??
    any help will be much appreciated!!

• Advertisement

Hi there. I didnt get my first one but have re applied and have a second one in 2 weeks. I dont blame anyone but myself for not getting it because i did a terrible Irish interview. I just turned into a blubbering mess the second they started to speak Irish. A mess!!
    I knew exactly what they were saying but i was so nervous i couldnt even answer!!!
    Disaster.....Anyway the main thing seems to be whatevers on your application. Just be sure to know how to talk about whatevers on it in Irish they wont ask you anything obscure. they are lovely people so relax and dont get worked up like i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ac2011

anybody get accepted for october 2011 intake???:)

yup got accepted for october 2011. U?

ah cool.. me too got accepted in May.. can't wait to get started :)

Yeah but I'm in a bit of bother..... it looks like the only Saturday in the whole year im out of the country, is induction day.... typical!! I just hope i don't miss too much.
    Are you working full time while doing this course?

Hey guys. All those people who think their starting in October, their not. It was changed to September and its a 2 yr course instead of a one and a half yr course. Just had my second interview the other day. Rly hope I get it.:)

ah i'm sure plenty of people will miss it.. they'll send u the stuff anyways i'm sure once u get in touch and explain.. at the min i'm jobless :(.. had a great run of subbin & grinds for the last year and a bit so was hoping for the same again but with the dept changin things around its highly unlikely but i'm tryin for work everywhere to keep me goin yano.. u workin yourself??

Hi Lizeob yeah we know that. Email I received said induction day was the end of September. Anyone else get that one?
    hey ac2011 Yeah Im in the same boat. Im on contract work with dept of education in admin at the moment but should be finished up there the end of October so im also hoping to get back to do some subbing like i did last year too. Though i was in a secondary school last year. Were u subbing in a primary school?
    I got lucky there too. I started subbing in one school and then they gave me a learning support contract till end of year so I've been blessed. I just know i wont get that lucky again this year! Plus id love to get some in a primary school but i thought it was nearly impossible??

yeah i got that this evenin.. excited to get the show on the road at this stage!! I was subbing in a secondary school in Dundalk.. only people that I know of who got any sort of work in a pri school were qualified pri teachers so seriously doubt it.. i'm relyin on grinds to keep me tickin over cos there is no work at all..

yeah im the same going to try get back on subbing panel for the VECs for the year after I finish my contract. Kinda ideal for last year so it'd be great to get it again.I take it thats your area then around Dundalk? Im Offaly. So both of us have a bit of travelling to do to get there. Im also dying to get stuck in i must say. Although im not looking forward to more exams.... i thought they were all behind me!! I guess not!

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm from Dundalk.. Yeah a nice early start for us!! But its diff centres all round the country for the sat lectures so hopefully get one close enough to home for them.. ah the exams will all be worth it cos we'll be qualified at the end of them :) if you're anythin like me it took long enough to get accepted for the course so i'll be flat out to make the most of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gavin89

any suggestions to get my irish up to scratch? iv applied to hibernia wice before and was refused because of my irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Exhausted Angie

Hi Guys,

Getting scared reading this thread. I didn't realise it was so difficult to get into this course. I have a degree and masters in law. I have only ever volunteered at two after schools homework clubs and I havn't even applied for the interview yet. In addition, I havnt studied Irish for 5 years so I am very scared to say the least.

Where do I even start with improving my Irish? If I applied now, would I have a few weeks to prep for the interview? If so, would a few weeks be enough time. Also, am I too late for the April intake?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Gavin 89.. There's a few groups in Dublin that do conversational Irish courses that myt help you Ino a friend of mine went to one near Temple bar but cnt think of the name :(. Also, try get yourself a copy of Cruinnscriobh na Gaeilge. It explains complicated Irish grammar really simply.. this will help with your interview.. Focus esp on the tenses!! don't forget pronunciations change with each tense they crucify u on that!! Other than that keep it simple as poss... youself, family, where you live, job, college, why u wanna be a teacher etc.. be prepared for a modh coinniolach q..
    Also look at the Aidiacht Shealbhach.. reali simple but can mess up pronunciations.. and the cupla rule!! don't say cupla seachtaine/cailini etc.. always cupla + singular.. so cupla la/seachtain/muinteoir....
    reali hope that was of some use to u!! :)

Angie.. Again the same advice as I said to Gavin and realistically I would give yourself more than a few wks to get yourself ready for interview as they call reali quick once they get the app form! and you will only get flustered and panicked if u rush into it which will stress u out more.. u should have plenty of time for April intake as I started in Sept and a girl had her interview the wk before induction!
    Also try get some voluntary work or observation days in schools to have somethin to talk about in your interview.. always helps to have a wee story to refer to yano :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 delilahmac

Hi guys! New to boards site. Sent off my first Hibernia application yesterday and nervous already! Starting to think I should have done my Irish prep work before sending application off! Is the March 2012 intake full by now? Chances are I would be too late for that anyway. Has anyone had an interview in 2012 so far? How did it go? Advice? Questions asked etc??

Many thanks and good luck to all!

delilahmac wrote: »
    Hi guys! New to boards site. Sent off my first Hibernia application yesterday and nervous already! Starting to think I should have done my Irish prep work before sending application off! Is the March 2012 intake full by now? Chances are I would be too late for that anyway. Has anyone had an interview in 2012 so far? How did it go? Advice? Questions asked etc??

Many thanks and good luck to all!

Hey Delilahmac,
    I am sendig my application tomorrow 2. R u planning on doing any prep course for the Irish interview? I have been trying to search for one which might be coming up soon but the nearest one seems to be the 25th Feb with Gaelchultur. I am afraid to apply for it though in case I am called for the interview before this date. Wish I knew how long we will be waiting for the interview. I think I may have left it too late for the March intake frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7 delilahmac

Hey Delilahmac,
    I am sendig my application tomorrow 2. R u planning on doing any prep course for the Irish interview? I have been trying to search for one which might be coming up soon but the nearest one seems to be the 25th Feb with Gaelchultur. I am afraid to apply for it though in case I am called for the interview before this date. Wish I knew how long we will be waiting for the interview. I think I may have left it too late for the March intake frown.gif

Hi Exhausted Angie,
    Yeah I had looked into the Prep course on 25th of Feb but decided it was too late. Glad I didnt go for it though as a friend just told me that she did that same course and thought it was rubbish! Instead I signed up lastnight for Gaelchultur's online prep course, that was 49euro. From what I have seen so far that won't be great either. I'd say I'll get a grind or two once I get a date for interview. Very nervous about the whole thing!! Three days observation done, 2 more this week. Will see from there then. Loving it so far!

delilahmac wrote: »
    Hi Exhausted Angie,
    Yeah I had looked into the Prep course on 25th of Feb but decided it was too late. Glad I didnt go for it though as a friend just told me that she did that same course and thought it was rubbish! Instead I signed up lastnight for Gaelchultur's online prep course, that was 49euro. From what I have seen so far that won't be great either. I'd say I'll get a grind or two once I get a date for interview. Very nervous about the whole thing!! Three days observation done, 2 more this week. Will see from there then. Loving it so far!

O might check that online course out. It has to be better than nothing. I am glad u r enjoying the observation. I assisted in a few homework clubs and just loved working with children.Stuck working in an office at the mo n finding it really boring. Besta luck with everything, if I get my interview will let u know. so nervous too but would just love to get on the course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nrgB

hey ive just had my interview for hibernia! they were lovely. i dont know what to think after it though. i felt good when I came out but I dont know now! i would be interested to know how other people are feeling… anybody who has recently done it??? thanks

Advertisement