Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG WEEK!!

Options
  • 02-02-2010 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Line up looks decent enough. Anyone doing the mystery bus tour? worth doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

What is the line up? Bet their is a social on in 21 and a band in the metro numerous times, iron stomach, some band such as republic of loose or fitzaprnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Coronas are the band playing, wish it was Republic of Loose(quality band and great live). Andrew Maxwell is doing a gig too. Rag Ball in the Button Factory. Can't remember anything else.

Coronas are the band playing, wish it was Republic of Loose(quality band and great live). Andrew Maxwell is doing a gig too. Rag Ball in the Button Factory. Can't remember anything else.

EPIC :rolleyes:

Did the coronas not play last year for rag week?
    Also a mystery bus tour iirc?
    How much are the tickets?
    Also iirc the button factory has a small capacity.
    Hope maxwell doesn't show up locked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The Coronas are decent and a good bunch of lads tbf.

Rag Week is the same thing in every college, every year. You can bitch and moan if you want but you'll still enjoy the events if you go to them. I've never went on a mystery tour for some strange reason but they sound like good craic by all accounts.

Teferi wrote: »
    The Coronas are decent and a good bunch of lads tbf.

Rag Week is the same thing in every college, every year. You can bitch and moan if you want but you'll still enjoy the events if you go to them. I've never went on a mystery tour for some strange reason but they sound like good craic by all accounts.

While I agree that somethings will always be the same I don't agree that they need to get the same bands constantly. As Gavin said republic of loose would be great. I've never heard them in the college. Also I'm sure that they would be cheaper.

Its all about thinking outside the box, that's what they get paid to do. Have a look on the ucc forum look at their rag week. I know people will enjoy the events it's what you make of it. I can have good nights every week with my friends. When I go to socials I want that little bit extra for paying the 10 or 12 euro. Would you not agree?

• Advertisement

Monday - Mystery Bus Tour €15
    Tuesday - Andrew Maxwell live in room 29 €5
    Wednesday - Rock band in the Mezz, Free paintball on campus and then that night Button Factory which is €7 in
    Thursday - Chill out day in the Mezz, then battle of the bands in the Metro
    Friday - Mini Brother Finale and the Coronas live in the Playhouse €8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

What's this Mini Brother thingie?
    I don't think I'll go to anything, too much work to get done for radio soc but we'll see.

I'd recommend the mystery tour to people ... good fun and you'll come out of it a braver person :P

Wednesday - Rock band in the Mezz, Free paintball on campus and then that night Button Factory which is €7 in

Yeah can't see me going to too much. Imo the weakest rag week in my five years. Does room 29 not only hold circa 100. Also coronas in the plaza would require you to mix with the plaza Friday night crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Where's the Mezz?

And are the Corona's defo playin in the PLayhouse? Metro again would be the smarter option. They aint changin the lineup so why change the venue

unreggd wrote: »
    Where's the Mezz?

And are the Corona's defo playin in the PLayhouse? Metro again would be the smarter option. They aint changin the lineup so why change the venue

Presume it's the canteen on the first floor, Mezzzaine.

Well it's on the rag week flyers, etc.. that they're playing playhouse.

• Advertisement

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    When I go to socials I want that little bit extra for paying the 10 or 12 euro. Would you not agree?

Most places in town have a door charge similiar to what you pay for a social and the socials usually have better drink promotions and other stuff going on :)
    What's this Mini Brother thingie?
    I don't think I'll go to anything, too much work to get done for radio soc but we'll see.

Mini brother is a ITT version of Big Brother. It was advertised on the facebook page but I didn't see it anywhere else.
    unreggd wrote: »
    Where's the Mezz?

Apparently they have sold a good number of tickets for it already. They have another band playing before them too. Check them out here. :)

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Does room 29 not only hold circa 100. Also coronas in the plaza would require you to mix with the plaza Friday night crew.

Agree with what you're saying. I'm surprised they didn't put the Andrew Maxwell gig on in Metro. Would hold more people than the lecture hall! :/And yeah, Plaza is a no no for me. I got dragged there quite a few times last year and never had a good night. Just not my scene!
    Teferi wrote: »
    Mini brother is a ITT version of Big Brother. It was advertised on the facebook page but I didn't see it anywhere else.

Haha, nice. I just saw the mini parked outside the college ... This should be interesting! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ittdublin su

Howya lads/ladies

Just replying to the threads here regarding Rag Week. I just wanted to answer a few questions or points etc which are highlighted in the above posts

The line up:
    We have put together the best possible line up we could have possibly hoped for as regard budget limitations. As we have mentioned at class rep meetings and in the student union newsletter( first one ever published by any union in Tallaght) that the college management have refused to give the union any money whatsoever for external entertainment for the first year in the unions history. Please understand that big acts/dj's can cost in excess of 10k for external events etc..
    Reason for Andrew Maxwell playing in the room 29??? Comedians will not perform in metro as they have had very negative experiences there with the layout of the bar and its not a fully seated theatre etc. Also college management will only grant money for internal ents i.e anything inside the college gates so we are stuck to using college facilities for this event.

I think that we have come up with some original and unique ideas this year such as the mini brother event (4 students in one mini for 5 days, students will compete in daily tasks on stage in the canteen and the winner will win 1000 euro at the end of the week). We've put a huge effort into advertising/promoting our events/we've just introduced the LCD tv's in and around the canteen area and the european mystery tour is a first also for the college.

The s.u would love to have the budget that colleges such as UCD/Trinity college have but due to the budget tightening and management cutting off our funding for external ents, its very hard to bring in big acts on our wish list. Also we are still awaiting confirmation on the special guest band for the Thursday in metro, we should have word tommorrow.

Hope some of this info has helped, let us know if you have any other queries.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 angrystudent

Howya lads/ladies

Just replying to the threads here regarding Rag Week. I just wanted to answer a few questions or points etc which are highlighted in the above posts

The line up:
    We have put together the best possible line up we could have possibly hoped for as regard budget limitations. As we have mentioned at class rep meetings and in the student union newsletter( first one ever published by any union in Tallaght) that the college management have refused to give the union any money whatsoever for external entertainment for the first year in the unions history. Please understand that big acts/dj's can cost in excess of 10k for external events etc..
    Reason for Andrew Maxwell playing in the room 29??? Comedians will not perform in metro as they have had very negative experiences there with the layout of the bar and its not a fully seated theatre etc. Also college management will only grant money for internal ents i.e anything inside the college gates so we are stuck to using college facilities for this event.

I think that we have come up with some original and unique ideas this year such as the mini brother event (4 students in one mini for 5 days, students will compete in daily tasks on stage in the canteen and the winner will win 1000 euro at the end of the week). We've put a huge effort into advertising/promoting our events/we've just introduced the LCD tv's in and around the canteen area and the european mystery tour is a first also for the college.

The s.u would love to have the budget that colleges such as UCD/Trinity college have but due to the budget tightening and management cutting off our funding for external ents, its very hard to bring in big acts on our wish list. Also we are still awaiting confirmation on the special guest band for the Thursday in metro, we should have word tommorrow.

Hope some of this info has helped, let us know if you have any other queries.

Cheers

Howya lads,

Just a few queries

While i understand that you are under some pressure regards not getting external entertainment money this year. Some people would say that this should've always been the case. I for one don't agree that every students capatation fee should go towards paying for the minoritys entertainment needs. My understanding is that this is the case with other students unions all over Ireland.

Would it not be possible for you to self finance events? For example

Expenditure Income

Coronas fee - €7k Ticket sales (900*€10) €9k
    Rider/Pa - €1.5k Sponsership Plaza (maybe even ulster bank) € 2k
    Total fee - €8.5k Total income €11000

Profit which would roll or go charity after all its rag week = € 2500

But what it seems to me that you are doing is

Expenditure Income

Andrew maxwell €3k Ticket sales (120*5) €600
    Flights € 300 (I think he is based in london now)
    Ryder/pa €700
    Total fee €4000 Total income €600

Loss which will come out of every students capatation fee because its "on campus", even though only 120 students can go is €3400.

What i would suggest, but you don't have to listen to me is. Go across to any hotel in tallaght they are all crying out for business. Get the biggest meeting room they have, ask them to set the seats up auditourm style. Sell 800 tickets to the gig to break even, don't pay for the room. After all they get to keep the bar sales, they would bite your hand off for this offer.

But credit where credit is due, the mini brother is a very good idea. Just one question is the €1000 prize coming out of capatation because its on campus?

Can you provide more details of the european mystery tour? I don't really do the whole face book scene. I was trying to get information from the website that Mark promised in his manifesto, but alas he has only had over 7mths to get this done. You'd never think that we have a netsoc in the college that has won national awards and could have this up in running in 7days.

Also can you please confirm or deny that the entire union (full time & part time) also the secretary had a trip to southern france paid for out of capatation? If this is true, do you think its acceptable with and i quote "budget tightening" this trip still took place?

P.s. Well done on putting up tv's and handing out a flyer.
    Sorry for the layout its hard to format on this.

Looking forward to your prompt reply.

Self Finance?? The student union officers financing the college gigs??

We cannot finance big acts to play at the socials because we have no capital whatsoever coming from the college and any revenue made from ticket sales etc has gone to pay for expenses incurred at previous events and the rest goes on venue hire/future acts for the coming months.

I do not agree that a minority of students agree with a percentage of their capitation fee going towards the running of the entertainment for ITT Dublin students, I believe that it is a majority of students.

With regard to approaching local hotels etc, it will simply not happen because comedians such as Andrew Maxwell are required to be paid well in advance of their shows they will ot turn up hoping that we sell tickets and then get paid for their show. Therefore we must rely on funding from the college i.e internal events. We did approach the civic theatre two months ago for this event but it had already been booked up.

The student union had numerous meetings with netsoc regarding the student union website. The technical side of the website was put together quite quickly but on the development and design side, things have fallen by the wayside. The people looking after the design have changed and other college issues have arisen since the start of the year.

The SU and the secretary did travel two southern France for two days on a team building trip but this trip was heavily financed by the officers themselves and it worked out much cheaper than previous team building trips in Ireland.

The european mystery tour will take place between Feb 22nd and Feb 24th. 50 students will travel to one european city for two nights.

Also, we have just confirmed Delerentos for next Thursday @ Metro after the Battle of The Bands Final.

Cheers

Out of interest,

How do people apply for this Mini Brother thing? I reckon a few people in here should apply :P

Contestants for mini brother have already been chosen this week through our facebook page. Students have emailed there names and why they should be a contestant for mini brother. There are 2 male and 2 female contestants. Posters will be up with details how to vote for your favourite contestant next week.

Thanks

Also, we have just confirmed Delerentos for next Thursday @ Metro after the Battle of The Bands Final.

Cheers

Any info on this? Free in or what? Regardless I'll be there, quality band and great live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 angrystudent

Self Finance?? The student union officers financing the college gigs??

We cannot finance big acts to play at the socials because we have no capital whatsoever coming from the college and any revenue made from ticket sales etc has gone to pay for expenses incurred at previous events and the rest goes on venue hire/future acts for the coming months.

I do not agree that a minority of students agree with a percentage of their capitation fee going towards the running of the entertainment for ITT Dublin students, I believe that it is a majority of students.

With regard to approaching local hotels etc, it will simply not happen because comedians such as Andrew Maxwell are required to be paid well in advance of their shows they will ot turn up hoping that we sell tickets and then get paid for their show. Therefore we must rely on funding from the college i.e internal events. We did approach the civic theatre two months ago for this event but it had already been booked up.

The student union had numerous meetings with netsoc regarding the student union website. The technical side of the website was put together quite quickly but on the development and design side, things have fallen by the wayside. The people looking after the design have changed and other college issues have arisen since the start of the year.

The SU and the secretary did travel two southern France for two days on a team building trip but this trip was heavily financed by the officers themselves and it worked out much cheaper than previous team building trips in Ireland.

The european mystery tour will take place between Feb 22nd and Feb 24th. 50 students will travel to one european city for two nights.

Cheers

I didnt mean for the student union officers themselves to self finance the event. The concept i was getting at was that you use the income you have from the pool tables, the selling of hoodies and also handbook advertizment. What happens to all of this money?

Do you honestly think that students would be happy with giving money out of their capation fee so that 120 can see the comediean? I dont think im the only one who feels that this is unfair. Id much rather see the money being spent on more important things within the college, that would benefit all students not just 120.

I don't feel its acceptable in the slightest that the union basically took money out students pockets, to go to southern france. Regardless of how much previous unions spent. You weren't in control of the budget then, however you are this year. You have to be accountable for your actions and i would go as far to say that you were reckless.

If you gave netsoc a chance, why have you not gone outside the college to get this done? Can i suggest you cancel the comidean and get the website done. cna anyone from netsoc on here clarify what happened?

Are the su planning on donating any money to charity from this rag week?

You stilll havent answered my question about if the €1000 prize money is coming out of capation?

Where did you advertize for people to takepart in mini brother? Anywhere besides facebook?

Are you actually hiring venues? I wouldve thought in the current economic climate clubs would be begging you to hold events with them.

First of all, we look at numerous options when spending money on projects or events for the students. The union is required to give 3 different quotes from 3 different companies for anything they propose to spend money on , we don't just splash out money on anything without any thought if that is what you are trying to put across here.

With regards to the website, we did indeed approach 3 different website developers in the summer but we were told to work with netsoc as they have experience in this area and that it wouldnt cost as much as getting an outside company to do the job. We cannot simply turn around to college management and demand 2-3 k to get the job done.

The handbook advertisement revenue generated goes towards paying for the production of the handbook. Any money generated from hoodies is given back to the capitation fund at the end of the year and money generated from the pool tables does not come anywhere near paying for events off campus.

The mini brother event was advertised on facebook and a bulk sms was sent out to students informing them about the event. We find that facebook is the best medium to target students at the moment.

The 1000euro prizemoney will not be given from capitation, it will be given from revenue generated from RAG Week ticket sales.

Profits from RAG Week will be donated to concern to help the people of Haiti who were affected by the recent earthquakes.

Yes some venues in Dublin still do demand a venue hire fee. We are trying to put socials in the best possible venues for the students and some of these venues require a venue hire fee.

It is beside the point where the union went for a team building trip, we looked at numerous team buiding locations here in Ireland and abroad and that one worked out the cheapest. Every penny we propose to spend during the year is looked at and approved by college management

We are not on opposite sides here, we are here to represent you the students, I hope these points have answered your questions.
    This discussion has gone completely off the original topic, we would appreciate you contacting us if you have anymore questions

Thanks

• Advertisement

This discussion has gone completely off the original topic, we would appreciate you contacting us if you have anymore questions

This is the only problem I have with your reply. The more transparency the better :)

Hey any info about the wrist bands for the week?

Do they cover everything??

They've were being sold last week. They grant you access to everything I think. €25 for them is a good deal.

Wristbands are still available but there is only a small number left for the mystery tour at the moment.

The Andrew Maxwell gig is a first come first served basis..Anyone with a wristband will get in free but anyone without is 5euro admission. be there early to ensure you get a spot.

Thanks

Any info on Delorentos? Free in or what? Any idea of times, etc...? Great band live, not to fond of their new stuff but hopefully they'd play some of their older stuff.

Thursday - battle of the bands in the Metro
    Friday - the Coronas live in the Playhouse €8

Anyone got times for these events??

Doors at 11pm for The Coronas I believe.

Wednesday: Traffic Light Ball @ The Button Factory..Doors 11pm

Thursday: Battle of the Bands commences at 3pm
    headlined by Delerentos. Delerentos will come on at approximately 6pm

Friday: Knights of Leon will commence at 9pm in the metro followed by the coronas at 11pm in the playhouse

Anyone heading tonight? Might be heading along myself. Any idea of drink promos and I'm guessing you can paid at the door?

• Advertisement

Nah I'm not heading myself, not many in my class(es) are. I think I saw something for €3 drinks?

Anyone try the paintballing today? My only class started at 3pm today and I forgot it was on. They were taking it down as I was coming in. Disaster.

Advertisement