Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

training suggestions please

• 02-02-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I would greatly appreciate a few comments on my training.
    I did a fair bit of racing biking in my teens, but got back into it after 10 years last year. Enjoyed going out and building up @100K spins. Amazed at how quick you can improve.
    Obviously since Nov I couldn't get out and I wanted to get ready for this March so got a turbo off santa! I have been doing half hour sessions every day almost for the last 3 weeks. I generally do them last thing at night before I shower and go to bed and dont eat after as I want to lose a bit of body fat. I do 2 good upper body weight sessions a week so that i wont be losing muscle mass.
    I generally warm up for 10 mins at @ 125-130bpm, then from 10-20 mins I do 30secs flat out on a hard gear, 30 secs spin easy. I do 10 reps of this by the end of my bpm would be @170. The final 10 mins then I would do a steady 150bpms. I find this way that I'm not recked afterwards, not bored to tears as it's only 30 mins and I have pushed my bpm up fairly high rather than a 30 min sitting at 140 all the way

I'd drink diluted squash and rehydrate pre and post
    So am I wondering am I doing the right thing? Should I be eating a very small mix of carbs & protein to refuel/strengthen my thighs? My concern is that by not eating after to loose some body fat that I am comprimising getting stronger in my legs?

Would I be better off doing this in the am pre breakfast and eat about 30 mins to 1hr after that? It just suits better in the evenings when the kids are gone to bed

My main aim is to build strength in my legs for the season ahead while also loosing some body fat.

any other ideas or suggetions?

God I read somewhere on here about someone keeping their bpm at 180 for an hour pushing a big gear.....i'm a bit off that!!!

Regards,
    D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I can't comment on the weight loss part, I think Blorg had some pretty good advice on this a while ago.

I don't think training right before bed is a good idea though, you could end up messing up your sleeping patterns and being run down in the morning. Your body is fired up after exercise, even if you are tired, so doing it right before you are meant to get your proper rest in doesn't sound like a good idea. I'd leave a bit of time between your sessions and sleep.

Were you doing the exact same thing every day for those 3 weeks?

It sounds to me, with the lack of rest periods, variety and not feeding your body that you may end up exhausting yourself and not reaching your peak.

I think if you search Blorg's posts for weight loss you might find the one I was thinking of, I think they said high intensity and hard fasting is not a good idea.

Good luck though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

dexty wrote: »
    So am I wondering am I doing the right thing? Should I be eating a very small mix of carbs & protein to refuel/strengthen my thighs? My concern is that by not eating after to loose some body fat that I am comprimising getting stronger in my legs?

You won't weaken your legs by eating sensibly, and you won't strengthen your legs by overeating. Calories in, calories out.

I don't know that daily 10x30s intervals are necessarily the right thing to be doing while you're trying to lose weight, but I wouldn't worry about training before bed with no food. It's not exactly conventional practice, but if you're not taking on enough carbohydrate you'll soon know about it (you'll want to crawl into bed at 7pm).

I also do trainer workouts late at night, but usually stuff my face afterwards. Unsurprisingly this is making me fatter.

Maybe mix it up a bit and try alternating days of steady state workouts. If it feels good then keep doing it.

(In my unqualified opinion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have to fit it training when I can so I have ended up training in the evening. One thing I would so is that this really has a bad impact in my sleep. After a hard session in the evening I find it very difficult to to get to sleep - buzzing.
    So maybe that's one thing you might consider.

Advertisement