Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people get into Airsoft??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kavanagh.john12

Mate, I'm new to this too - but I can't stress enough how completely sound and friendly everyone has been whenever I've had questions, whenever I've turned up on my own at a site, or whenever I've bought stuff (either in retailers or from fellow Boards members).

Is it clickish? No - I wouldn't put it that way. Looking at posts on boards, where a lot of people know each other and have skirmished (or mil sim'd - if that can be said) together, you can get the wrong impression. Go to a skirmish and I would be very surprised if you didn't find people to be pretty easy to talk to and willing to talk about airsoft and skirmishing.

After all - if you're willing to drag your ass out of bed early on a Saturday or Sunday to go out to a freezing cold field/scrub/wood site, then run around through rain/snow/fog/sleet/muck (delete as appropriate to the day), then you must really love doing it.

Err - perhaps that last paragraph wasn't the best possible sell ...

No I get you. Ive noticed that everyone is very helpfull alright. im looking forward to this now. thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

No bother mate - just be warned - it's bloody addictive!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

All your money.... kiss it good bye boys... you will never see it again.

Firekitten wrote: »
    And that last paragraph was the best sell ;) Why else play?

I think that's a sniper's perspective, no?!
    ;)

All your money.... kiss it good bye boys... you will never see it again.

What she said. I sometimes think that a serious drug habit would be cheaper.

• Advertisement

I think that's a sniper's perspective, no?!
    ;)
    Not paticularly.... just a sadist with a serious enjoyment of getting dirty and shooting people...

If you're still clean after a skirmish, you have not tried hard enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭HelloJellyFish

Hi Again,

Thanks for the massive reply, interesting views. Not sure that I will get into it, it looked fun and interesting, but I am not sure I will get into the habit of dressing up and all.

I like the replicas, they really look realistic, this is what first got my attention. I have had the pleasure of handling most of them as the real McCoy.

Well each to there own, hope you's have tons more fun.

Cheers

Heh, the dressing up bit... you make it sound so perverted....

Groups of adults that meet discretely in the woods to spay white stuff on each other...

Its like an extreme sports version of dogging.... but with more injuries.

Nah, in all seriousness, the gear helps

Camo helps you blend in, the vest holds your mags and stuff you need/want to carry.... you learn fairly quickly that real military kit or similar kit to the military is useful for the same rasons they use it... then you go.. hey why not have an impression of x force' and thus it begins... or it doesnt... not everyone does it... I just like themes myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

To be fair, the dressing up aspect isn't necessarily costuming. Certainly some people are into emulating the uniforms and kit of a particular group, but more commonly the camouflage and equipment is for purely practical purposes - helping you sneak about and hide from the opposition, and store bits and pieces that you need. So in that respect it's just sports gear like anything else - you go surfing, you wear a wetsuit; you go skiing, you wear a parka; you play airsoft, you wear camouflage.

And there's just as much discussion of varying effectiveness and calls of "Gucci!" in those sports too. :)

Gucci is a misused phrase here....

Gucci, is used to discribe bits of kit... 'those boots are gucci' 'that holster is gucci'

not 'im gucci' or 'we're gucci'
    There is no definition of what is gucci per gear type, just certain bits of gear...

'Guccisoft' was a term pioneered in England refering to a style of airsoft where the players had reverted back from full loadouts, to a more practical aproach.

Boots, combat trousers, molle blast belt with pouches, dropleg or belt mounted serpa or 6004 (Real deal only thankyou folks ;)) and a hoodie or helly hansen underarmour top (yes you need to be fit) and possibly a blackhawk battle bag or similar.... Gucci refered to expensive 'designer' brand kit; Safariland, Blackhawk, TT, Eagle... not clones of same... thats wannabee :D

Firekitten herself, though speaking in third person today, is a proponent and deciple of the guccisoft. (Hobosoft branch)

(Hobosoft: Boots, jeans, helly or hoodie, blast belt+holster and rifle, coffe in one hand, cigarette in other, shoot people when they disturb you)

The kit is practical, tough, and about as 'dressup' as going doing any sport in the right kit. It also looks 'flask as fook' another phrase to be learned...

Here endeth the lesson.

• Advertisement

Hi Again,

Sure...

Groups of adults that meet discretely in the woods to spay white stuff on each other...

......You might have taken it a bit out of contexts, I never meant it to sound perverted, but the bottom part of the quote was more my meaning.

But like I said each to there own, it sounds like it can be fun and it looks like people have fun doing it, so why not??

For me holding AK 47 or M4 and firing it, might have a different meaning than it would have for you. The recoil might have given me a more perverse sense of being, for me to see the logic of people doing it, for the fun of it.

But like I said each to there own.....:cool:

:O LOL I Hope you didn't mean that the way I read that... and there isnt really any recoil with airsoft outside of gbbs and gbbrs

lol

Nah, i was taking the piss before :) Welcome to airsoft, its full of it :D

:O LOL I Hope you didn't mean that the way I read that... and there isnt really any recoil with airsoft outside of gbbs and gbbrs

lol

Nah, i was taking the piss before :) Welcome to airsoft, its full of it :D

Cheers Firekitten, thanks for the heads up and I like your website, very nice....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

Hi,

I keep on hearing about airsoft and decided to have a look around, man what a surprise. Everybody on this forum is into it big time, really big!!!

WoW...all the kit, ammo, equipment, camou and all....It looks like the real McCoy.

I just could not get it though and had to ask, what is the inspiration?? Why do people get into it, what is it that makes it so popular?? What is it that people really enjoy about it??

Cheers

This sport is the gift from god for the weapon/war/guns obsessed people that cannot get enough of things related 24/7. i.e. me!:D

Its like people being obsessed with a computer game although this way it is ACTUALY first person shooter and this is REAL socializing and exercise!

I could go on... but i won't

xXx

Its like an extreme sports version of dogging.... but with more injuries

LMAO, I'm sorry but i must comment on the brilliance of this paragraph LMAO!

It's unfortunate that THAT is actualy what we do...

I'm explaining airsoft that way from now on :D

xXx

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Its like people being obsessed with a computer game although this way it is ACTUALY first person shooter

FPS Doug? Is that you?

BOOOM HEADSHOT!!! :D

You forgot to add that there's no lag in airsoft and it's got full 16AA antialiasing at max resolution :p

Lemming wrote: »
    FPS Doug? Is that you?

BOOOM HEADSHOT!!! :D

You forgot to add that there's no lag in airsoft and it's got full 16AA antialiasing at max resolution :p

:p yeah its me FPS doug, at the start of a skirmish don't forget to run with your knife out, it makes you run faster.
    Well i supose there can be lag if you have some kind of medical condition, but then again if its as serious as "real life lag" then i dont think its very safe for you to play :p

fps games do help with airsoft though, unless your a online fps addicted thats too good and obviously has no friends, coz then you'd probably have lost the ability to move your legs!

xXx

Sorry if im rambling pointlessly, i'm in one of those moods...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I love guns, i can collect guns, i can shoot people with said guns.
    I can collect loadouts, i can play the 'fun' part of being in some form of military.

I can then go home and moan about it on forums, or go home and chairsoft and play some COD.

It's like a dream come true really.

Cheers Firekitten, thanks for the heads up and I like your website, very nice....:)
    Its not mine... its Owned and run by Pudding, He published my material there.

Its like people being obsessed with a computer game although this way it is ACTUALY first person shooter and this is REAL socializing and exercise!

xXx
    Like Fps... but wetter.
    LMAO, I'm sorry but i must comment on the brilliance of this paragraph LMAO!

It's unfortunate that THAT is actualy what we do...

I'm explaining airsoft that way from now on :D

xXx
    Indeed... Its what I describe it as, in my own sick twisted dirty dirty mind :)

chairsoft

I love it LOL :p
    Like Fps... but wetter.

indeed it is, ALOT wetter and colder during the winter time.

xXx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

get a room :)

MindPhuck wrote: »
    erm, random...

so, why do people get into airsoft?

I got into airsoft from the begining, because some friends at I thought it would be a laugh for a mates birthday party. One of my guy friend ssuggested it and we played, and I liked it... simple as.

Unlike a lot it seems. I'm not in it for the guns... or to get realistic super duper replicas of guns i cant get in real life... They are a means to an end in airsoft. I dont mind them, but i've had my share of real ones, and dont paticularly want any more, or like what they do...

(Ok, plus the thought of her daughter playing with guns and running around shooting people with big groups of mostly men really pisses off my mum... bonus)

MindPhuck wrote: »

I know exactly what your talking about.... :confused:

I started coz im a big war/gun junkie! sinse i was real small! so you can imagen how happy i was when i discovered this gift from god sport!
    :D story of my life!

xXx

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Fireborn

I know exactly what your talking about.... :confused:

I started coz im a big war/gun junkie! sinse i was real small! so you can imagen how happy i was when i discovered this gift from god sport!
    :D story of my life!

xXx

Pretty much the same. Just interested in all things military. Airsoft allows me to use the same/similar gear to the real deal. Only i'm not going to be sent into wars for dubious reasons by my government (UK).

It's good fun, the people i've met are great and the you dont notice how much exercise you're doing until you stop and head for home. I sat on the bus home and had trouble standing up again once I got there. My legs ached so bad. Best kind of exercise IMO.

Fireborn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Solid Snake

Why did I get into airsoft?

In my opinion it's escapism in it's finest form.
    You get to spend the day outside knee deep in crap working as a team to accomplish something that you'd never do in your normal day to day life.
    The sense of teamwork and achievement is great.

Also alot of people would say "ahh wannabe soldiers" but I don't think it's like that at all. For me I found I respect what those guys do more than ever but would never like to see real combat. I might not like the reasons for wars or the other BS that comes with it but when you're out there and you get hit, in Airsoft it's respawn and back into the fight but in real life it's not quite that simple.

That and you can empty a mag of BB fury screaming "kiss em...kiss em" oohh yeeah!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Markom5a

Why do people play airsoft? Easy, why do people do any hobby willingly? Becase they enjoy it!!!

For me though it's the closeness to rs. I love anything to do with guns and the military, books, games, tv shows, films and now airsoft!!! Hopefully I will join the military after college( would have been after the lc but due to being blind as a bat...)

Thats just my two cents :)

d back into the fight but in real life it's not quite that simple.

That and you can empty a mag of BB fury screaming "kiss em...kiss em" oohh yeeah!:D

I think the quote is 'Kill them...kill them... unless you do actually want the oposing side to kiss your... balls ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Solid Snake

I think the quote is 'Kill them...kill them... unless you do actually want the oposing side to kiss your... balls ;)

TBH I think the quote is "get some....get some" (full metal jacket)but I'm an affectionate guy.
    I like to spread the love with my balls.....;)

See OP we're a loving bunch of folks, another good reason to get into airsoft!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHkbahPv7s0

Advertisement