Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema application for Ennis Road retail park

Options
  • 02-02-2010 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Planning Permission submitted to Limerick City Council for a cinema in the vacant units beside Smyths Toystore. Hope it'll be granted!

Applicant Name: MZM Holdings Ltd.
    Development Description: permission for change of use of the existing single storey retail units 7, 8 and 9 (approved under PL30.212827 (P04/583) to one single combined unit accommodating one number 7 screen cinema (2,589 sq. m. gross floor area) consisting of 1,338 no. seats, with ancillary areas including entrance foyer, toilets, children's party area, computer entertainment area, projection box, office staff areas and other facilities (site area 0.7777 hectares). The development includes external elevational amendments consisting of the provision of additional door openings for fire exit purposes to North Elevation (2 no. doors), West Elevation (4 no. doors), and South Elevation (3 no. doors); closing up existing entrances to Unit 7 and 9 including the removal of the existing entrance canopy and supporting column structure; redressing of existing entrance canopy and column structure to Unit 8 incorporating strip lighting to canopy and cladding either side; the provision of poster boxes at low level to North elevation, mechanical plant at roof level; adjustments to car park to provide for set down area in front of the building and the provision of a vehicular turning circle all at existing Retail Units 7, 8 and 9
    Development Address: Ennis Road Retail Park, Ennis Road, Limerick.

http://www.limerick.ie/eplan/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=09327&LASiteID=0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Great news for anyone living North of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Fingers crossed, makes perfect sense. If the one in the City Centre gets off the ground then it's good times for cinema fans in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Aidric wrote: »
    Fingers crossed, makes perfect sense. If the one in the City Centre gets off the ground then it's good times for cinema fans in Limerick.

Lets be honest here, will there really be enough customers for 4 cinemas in a city this size, as it is the omniplex and storm are rarely sold out. sure it will be a great amenity for the north side of the city. but i think it will be a bit of flop in terms of numbers using it after the initial hype wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Will believe it when it is built and finished.

Have people already forgotten the multiplex that also applied for planning permission by the Coonagh Tesco? Or the one that applied for the same business park that this one has applied for?

Maybe it will be third time lucky, but I have a feeling a similar objection and threat of job losses will be raised by the same cinema that objected the last time.

I do think that there should be a town centre cinema though. The town centre badly needs something like that as there is very little variety in terms of entertainment in the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

foinse wrote: »
    Lets be honest here, will there really be enough customers for 4 cinemas in a city this size, as it is the omniplex and storm are rarely sold out. sure it will be a great amenity for the north side of the city. but i think it will be a bit of flop in terms of numbers using it after the initial hype wears off.

I saw Avatar in Storm and there were people sitting on the stairs as there wasnt a seat to be found, another cinema is welcome, purely for somewhere else to go aside from the two we already have, Storm has gotten really shabby lately, most of its screens have one or more broken speakers and nearly every time i got theres an issue with the projection, its always either in the wrong ratio for the first few mins, or its out of focus nearly all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

A little off topic, but which is the best cinema to go to? I've been to both storm and omniplex a couple of years ago, but cant remember them really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

i prefer storm because its still newer and you only have to que once:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Storm is good but jesus they'd want to do something about the cold in there.
    The past three movies I've been to I was frozen and yes I should have complained but I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeah what is with the cold? i saw The Road a few weeks back and i was shivering as much as the bloody characters in the movie :D I dont like it when cinemas are baking hot either but it doesnt have to be a bloody freezer in there, and strangely the smaller screens in Storm always have better projection and sound thatn the bigger ones, every movie I've seen in screen 1 lately has been out of focus , whereas i saw Daybreakers in screen 7 i think it was and it was perfect, not a bit of it out of focus or projected onto the walls instead of the screen

krudler wrote: »
    I saw Avatar in Storm and there were people sitting on the stairs as there wasnt a seat to be found, another cinema is welcome, purely for somewhere else to go aside from the two we already have, Storm has gotten really shabby lately, most of its screens have one or more broken speakers and nearly every time i got theres an issue with the projection, its always either in the wrong ratio for the first few mins, or its out of focus nearly all the time

Okay fair enough, opening week on big hyped movie releases will be sold out, but after that initial week, cinema screens are at most 3/4's full. Do we really need 4 cinemas in this city?

One more cinema would more than satisfy the demand, I reckon that a decent sized cinema in the city centre would be ideal, as it would be close enough to the northside service that area.

You can't build cinemas on the idea that opening week on big budget movies will be packed. it doesn't matter how many cinemas we have, big movies like avatar will always sell out, the problem is, large ticket sales for a few weeks a year won't keep 4 cinemas open.

• Advertisement

Okay fair enough, opening week on big hyped movie releases will be sold out, but after that initial week, cinema screens are at most 3/4's full. Do we really need 4 cinemas in this city?

One more cinema would more than satisfy the demand, I reckon that a decent sized cinema in the city centre would be ideal, as it would be close enough to the northside service that area.

You can't build cinemas on the idea that opening week on big budget movies will be packed. it doesn't matter how many cinemas we have, big movies like avatar will always sell out, the problem is, large ticket sales for a few weeks a year won't keep 4 cinemas open.

maybe not but do we need one in the center yes. not everyone has a car and public transport.................................

long story short a cinema in the city center is badly needed. not sure if one on the ennis road is needed doh

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Living on the northside, I think there is more than enough population to keep a cinema on the northside going. (Caherdavin, Coonagh, Woodview, Moyross, Ballananty, Thomondgate, Farranshone,Mayorstone, Clareview, Greystones, Ashbrooke, Ennis Road, NC Road) to name but a few.

To get to the crescent/castletroy can take 1 hour, depending on traffic, and if you don't have a car well I would not bother go to either cinema. As the coonagh bus service on the ennis road sucks!! (once an hour if your lucky!!)

Not much to do on the northside of the city besides go to woodies/smyths/dunnes/tesco/bowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'm sure the developers would have deemed it commercially viable before submitting a planning application. There is a big catchment area there plus you've got LIT in the vicinity also.
    Millie wrote: »
    Storm is good but jesus they'd want to do something about the cold in there.
    The past three movies I've been to I was frozen and yes I should have complained but I didn't.
    Storm really has got shabby. I was out there last week to see Up In The Air. The guy at the till said the heating was broken so had to watch the movie in a jacket and scarf and it was still cold. There was also distorted sound on one of the speakers. The area outside the front door has a pile of rubbish lying there and inside it's very often unclean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

+1 Like storm but they REALLY need to sort out dodgy sound and projection . Very frustrating to see a good chunk of the projection appears off the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Living on the northside, I think there is more than enough population to keep a cinema on the northside going. (Caherdavin, Coonagh, Woodview, Moyross, Ballananty, Thomondgate, Farranshone,Mayorstone, Clareview, Greystones, Ashbrooke, Ennis Road, NC Road) to name but a few.

You don't have to limit the catchment area to parts of the city. You can add Meelick, Cratloe, Sixmilebridge and Shannon to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Living in the northside this is great news hope it gets passed:) because we really do not have nothing at this side of town but grocery shops,

and also to get to the other side of town to go the cinema takes forever in traffic so fingers crossed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

As a recent migrant to the north side of the city,I would welcome this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Northside & Southside.

The city is not really big enough for anybody to complain they couldn't travel across town to the Cinema. It's not a metropolis.

I cannot comment on if a cinema is even needed. It has been years since I have bothered visiting one.

I wonder who is going to bother financing this venture though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

I'm really hoping for this. Trying to get to storm or the omniplex is a nightmare sometimes with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Don't you mean "Do we really need 3 cinemas in this city?" Storm, the Omniplex - where's the third one.

Personally while I'll be delighted if this one gets built, I too would love a cinema in town. I think the site of the old Dunnes Stores on Sarsfield St would be just perfect.

• Advertisement

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Don't you mean "Do we really need 3 cinemas in this city?" Storm, the Omniplex - where's the third one.

Personally while I'll be delighted if this one gets built, I too would love a cinema in town. I think the site of the old Dunnes Stores on Sarsfield St would be just perfect.

have said this for years. we dont need more cinemas just one in the city with proper parking

Paulegend wrote: »
    have said this for years. we dont need more cinemas just one in the city with proper parking

Where's the proper parking? Surrounded by double yellow line routes and the multistoreys close at 7 and 8pm most nights(other than Friday).

People would park illegaly on the streets anyway because there is no fear of parking control in our city due to the lack of clampers.

Business have been proven to fail because of lack of available and free parking. See the argument between the city and the Crescent saga.

gaf1983 wrote: »

There's discussions for one in the city centre and one on the north side, if those plans went ahead then we would have 4 cinemas. (which we do not need)

The Dunnes site on sarsfield street would be a good place for a cinema, get rid of the plans for the jetland cinema, and just make one there on sarsfield st. it's close enough to the north side that it would service it, and in the city centre so it will also service that.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

I wonder do the people posting "we do not need" a cinema on the North side live close to Storm or the Omniplex?
    I live on the North side and never go to the cinema during the week because the traffic is too much hassle. I'd never make it across town for the early evening screening times and the late times don't suit if I've an early start the next morning.

Dunnes on sarsfield street would be a nice place for a cinema but as someone else mentioned there is a lack of secure/safe/nearby parking in town at night.
    One advantage of the Ennis Road Retail park is the big car park.

I dont remember the previous city centre cinemas, Carlton and Savoy, doing too well before they closed.
    Did the Opera centre include plans for a cinema?

I hope the one in Coonagh Cross gets the go-ahead as it badly needs something out there and it might make it harder for the scobes to get out there than the Ennis Rd!

rok wrote: »
    I wonder do the people posting "we do not need" a cinema on the North side live close to Storm or the Omniplex?
    I live on the North side and never go to the cinema during the week because the traffic is too much hassle. I'd never make it across town for the early evening screening times and the late times don't suit if I've an early start the next morning.

Dunnes on sarsfield street would be a nice place for a cinema but as someone else mentioned there is a lack of secure/safe/nearby parking in town at night.
    One advantage of the Ennis Road Retail park is the big car park.

I dont remember the previous city centre cinemas, Carlton and Savoy, doing too well before they closed.
    Did the Opera centre include plans for a cinema?

I hope the one in Coonagh Cross gets the go-ahead as it badly needs something out there and it might make it harder for the scobes to get out there than the Ennis Rd!

The Coonagh cross cinema was well and truly buried, in a similar way as to when Lidl applied to build a store where the old Texaco station was across from where the Coonagh Tesco is.

The only place in the town centre where they are looking at applying for permission for a cinema is on Catherine street, where the Desmond pub was.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1446:city-centre-cinemas-on-agenda&catid=37:local-news&Itemid=60

Berty wrote: »
    Where's the proper parking? Surrounded by double yellow line routes and the multistoreys close at 7 and 8pm most nights(other than Friday).

People would park illegaly on the streets anyway because there is no fear of parking control in our city due to the lack of clampers.

Business have been proven to fail because of lack of available and free parking. See the argument between the city and the Crescent saga.

what?????????????????????/

clamping should never ever ever be aloud. its a quick buck scheme dreampt up by someone who is getting very rich.

didnt realise i waas on here last night:D but what i meant is we need a cinema in the center with proper parking. as in we need parking aswell. i cant see why they dont build on the dunnes sarsfield street site. they could build a multistory carpark and the cinema/entertainment complex inside

Paulegend wrote: »
    didnt realise i waas on here last night:D but what i meant is we need a cinema in the center with proper parking. as in we need parking aswell. i cant see why they dont build on the dunnes sarsfield street site. they could build a multistory carpark and the cinema/entertainment complex inside

With some type of restaurant overlooking the river. Then get rid of the asylum centre across the road and maybe then we will actually have a proper riverside city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Berty wrote: »
    With some type of restaurant overlooking the river. Then get rid of the asylum centre across the road and maybe then we will actually have a proper riverside city.

+1 Berty you should seriously be the mayor of Limerick

• Advertisement

+1 Berty you should seriously be the mayor of Limerick

Better the devil's you know already I'd say. :D Just make sure it's not a labour mayor otherwise we will all be travelling at 30kph.

Advertisement