Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not losing weight....help?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 6:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

i'm a 20 year old female, wearing a size 16-18. i exercise 5 times a week, usually for 40-50 minutes each time.

on a typical day i eat two tiny "meals", my friends say its more like snacks. nothing else, and i'm still overweight.

example, today i ate:

breakfast/lunch
    - bagel (cinnamon and raisin,usually its the plain kind though) - 156 calories
    - slice of cheese melted on top - 60 calories

"dinner"
    - 2 slices of white bread toasted - 180 calories
    - a little cheddar cheese grated on top - not sure how many calories exactly but i'll say around 150

that means today i consumed a total of 546 calories. and thats not just today, most days i eat around that. i think my average daily intake is about 620 calories. this is how my diet has been for the past few years. i understand cheese and bread are both not good but surely they can't be stopping me from losing any weight? my friends all eat what i do and more and they are not as big as i am.

i drink once or twice a month, usually 4 or 5 vodkas each time i am out. i never get "munchies" after drinking, i'm the opposite..i just go home and sleep while my friends are heading to the chip shop. i don't drink any kind of fizzy drinks either. no coffee/tea. i drink about 2.5-3 litres of water a day.

i did 45 mins work out this evening (the 30 day shred which is 20 mins and 25 mins on the treadmill walking at a medium speed aka. "fat burning zone") and i just know when i step on the scales tomorrow i'll still weigh the same.

its very depressing. i will admit my weight problems are due to my bad eating habits as a teen (i lived off pre-packaged meals and take aways) but i don't eat like that anymore and haven't for a number of years so i can't understand why i am not dropping the weight.

while i'm here does anyone know of any good meal replacement shakes? i am kind of fussy and would prefer something like that instead of my usual toast/sandwich dinner, especially since i know i'm not getting enough protein right now. (and i don't eat meat so please don't say i need to add it to my diet for protein!!)

any help welcome :D

and if anyone has any meal plans/suggestions please send them my way. i don't eat meat, occassionally eat fruit and a little veg but not every day.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

What height / weight are you?

It sounds like you are eating waaayyyy too little & prompting your body to enter starvation mode.

Figure out how many calories someone of your bodyweight requires for maintainence of bodyweight then reduce it just by 10 to 15%. The rest of your diet should be lean (chicken, tuna) with some good fats (avocado, nuts).

Take a look at the diet and nutrition info in the fitness basis sticky.

Stop eating bread and cheese for a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

defo agree you are not eating enough, and unfortunately nealy everything you do eat is junk ... have you read the diet / nutrition stickies? IMO you can cut cals by more than 10% some days but going down under 1000 cals is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Your body is holding onto all the fat because it thinks you are starving .... you really need to learn proper nutrition, work out your daily requirments then as the others have said , drop this by 10-20%

Your diet is shocking to be honest and you may be doing yourself some serious harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

You are not eating enough. Your body is in a standstill, a rut.

Like said DO read the stickies.

DO eat more. Eat complex carbs like oats, wholegrain rice, plenty of veggies especially greens. Get some pritein into ya. Tuna, chicken, cottage cheese, milk. Get good fats from oily fish, nuts, nut butters

Dump the white bread.

I have a friend who is a dance teacher and is exactly like you. Doesnt really eat anything and can't understand why she can't lose weight with the classes she teaches and the workouts she does. She doesnt really believe me that she needs to eat more. She is still the same size.

All calories are not used equally by the body. Eatr more and then even more good calories. Leave out the bad ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

OP - everything on the previous posts are correct. You're body is grabbing on to every little last calorie thinking there is a famine! There is no way you could not be hungry when you are only eating that amount of food and if you are exercising, giving 110%!
    Also, is you do change your diet for the better and are still holding the weight, maybe chat to your GP, check your thyroid perhaps?

Best of luck to you - and dont give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

You're starving yourself, which means you will NOT lose fat - invest some time in learning about food, nutrition and the body - it will pay off big time for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

Stop eating bread and cheese for a start!

haha classic...my first thoughts exactly.

No bread/cheese/milk/potatoes/crackers/fizzy drinks/chocolate/crisps/butter/processed meats/fruit past 6/meals past 9 usually does it for me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i think my average daily intake is about 620 calories. this is how my diet has been for the past few years.
    Starvation mode is one thing, but if your intake has been only 620kcal for several years there might be something else wrong. I would see your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭anigheh

My God..... how do u function????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bellz_x

You need to consume 1200 cals per day, at least. If you're using Jillian's DVD - 30 day shred, you should know what she's like. She even says 1200 cals min. If you consume less, as the other posters have said, you wont lose any weight at all.

I'm 20 also, Im a size 18 in my clothes and I've recently started a healthy eating / Exercise regime. My 30 day shred DVD arrived this morning. I havent used it yet but I plan to..

I hope that you can do well on this, but you need to eat more.

Less cheese and white bread, if you have to eat bread and cheese, have some low low cheese triangles and some brown bread, toasted perhaps.. It's lovely!! Even the low low cheese has ham in some of them. Which is nice also!

Best of luck hun.

Do keep us posted.

x

Advertisement