Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you get involved in a team?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

my comment was a bit tonge in check as we have all been going on about going out play in lots of places experience as much airsoft as you can and then where saying impress people as you do it and done feel encumbered by the need for a team, and then we say ow but btw impress people as you do it, as i said just sounded like a sports try out :)

the meaning appears to have got lost i do apologise

and agree with your list of team types and there are 101 points between them and combinations of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Puding wrote: »
    my comment was a bit tonge in check as we have all been going on about going out play in lots of places experience as much airsoft as you can and then where saying impress people as you do it and done feel encumbered by the need for a team, and then we say ow but btw impress people as you do it, as i said just sounded like a sports try out :)

Yeah sadly a lot of people see it that way... Its all about respect and how 'good' you are and people place kills over just having a good time.

To be honest, the culture here is rather alien in this respect. I've known of teams in the UK, but very specifically loadout based and for milsim reasons etc. Never so many teams in one place... perhaps a site 'home team'. It almost seems like the individual player is a minority in Ireland... Which is a shame in my book. It removes a lot of the mixing and social chitchat that makes up airsoft for me. The rivalry and fighting is just sad too.

Firekitten wrote: »
    Yeah sadly a lot of people see it that way... Its all about respect and how 'good' you are and people place kills over just having a good time.

To be honest, the culture here is rather alien in this respect. I've known of teams in the UK, but very specifically loadout based and for milsim reasons etc. Never so many teams in one place... perhaps a site 'home team'. It almost seems like the individual player is a minority in Ireland... Which is a shame in my book. It removes a lot of the mixing and social chitchat that makes up airsoft for me. The rivalry and fighting is just sad too.

as with other discussions i believe there is enough room for both, what worrys me is that by its nature the sporty side is very over powering and smother the other aspects of the hobby

i just find it funny the idea of an invite competitive team for airsoft, sorry you can not play with use you aim is not good enough, can see at some point mandatory upgrades before you can apply to the team :eek: had a number of conversation with new guys how though this kinda thing was alreayd the case, scary concept

And ive seen some teams here that dictate what guns teammembers can buy or use, and what kit... Thats a bit... um, anal?

Tbh i do see exactly why new players in ireland are overawed by the team culture and almost see it as mandatory. While teams have a place (im not advocating otherwise) I think that place is currently over occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

Team ARU is based on a person contributing in some way to the team.
    but by contributing i mean making the game that much more fun, having a laugh, making the atmosphere all that much better but is able to also play airsoft(obviously).
    TBH i cannot remember what my team was like when there was only 4 of us, each and every player makes our team the way it is, and we have players of all ages, check us out!

Im sure ther are plenty og teams out there life this. I have spoken to several people during my sundays of playing where they are starting a team and are recruiting etc. and they are the nicest bunch ever.
    It's all about having a great laugh on a sunday with friends, but i can be lethal when found alone ;)

xXx

• Advertisement

And ive seen some teams here that dictate what guns teammembers can buy or use, and what kit... Thats a bit... um, anal?

Tbh i do see exactly why new players in ireland are overawed by the team culture and almost see it as mandatory. While teams have a place (im not advocating otherwise) I think that place is currently over occupied.

it was somthing that came to find, but from my point of view it would be like saying no you can not use that cyam ak its not accurate enough you need to spend double the money and get the vfc, and tbh i know it happens in the themed area of airsoft, if anyone though that elitism in competitive side might be bad you have seen nothing until you have experienced the true gerdo, the guy that will drop 200usd on a MIBUS pouch as it has the right bukle for ther seal impression

personaly i try and discourage this kinda attitude when i talk to people about theme if anyone ever ask me for advice i try and give a range of answer and not just the 'real steel' if there are cheaper wasy of doing thing that are maybe not 100% will give them

but yes the example of mandatory upgrades and required real steel gear are both scary concepts that could have a negative impact on airsoft, and do have a negative impact in my eyes in other country's

Half of those geardos on Arnies don't even play airsoft... they would get thier precious real steel seal gear dirty... Thier rifles are meticulously aged and weathered... thier kit the same... heaven forbid they actually use it.

Buying special buckles to swap to look like real seal pouch variants of thier already real steel pouches... 500£ vests, Tbh, its always the yank geardos that are the worst... well, american themed ones... most eastern ones are fairly relaxed but accurate. But again... theme.
    I've played with some geardos that actually airsoft at a milsim event once... both thought they were badass.. desert gear and molle vests in a woodland terrorist IED location mission... good start. Thie concept of stealth was 'CRUNCH *pose for photo * CRUNCH CRUNCH *Chatter* CRUNCH* *Pose for photo* *shoot tree* *laugh* *pose for photo* In the end I wanted to drop a BFG down thier Blackhawk branded underpants... There's a reason the idioim is 'All the gear and no idea'
    Gear - 1500€
    Gun - 800€
    weathering and kyrlon - 60€
    A Clue - priceless

But these geardos take pleasure in havin the real steal gear and adds to thier own experience, if i had the money i would love to have the real gear stuff, personaly.
    You guys have just controdicted everything you have said about having fun while you play airsoft. (not meaning to offend)
    Who cares if theyr spend hundreds on gear and still stick out like a polar bear in a ice rink. Thats theyr biggest hobby obviously if they'v spent so much on it.
    xXx

Nah, most dont skirmish... they dont want to get mud on thier weesatch...(Only puding will get this *sigh*)

They ten to be arseholes about it too.. looking down on others without the gear, and treat people like lesser mortals because they are 'elite' becaues they dress up as a Navy Squeel.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

cobra 08 wrote: »
    And which site would be the best for milsim?
    At the moment there's only one commercial site in Ireland whose games are all milsim-style, and that's Airsoft Battle Zone in Laois. Midlands Airsoft Club in Longford also play milsim-style games but they're a club so you can't just rock up and play, it has to be arranged. Some other sites run milsims now and again, especially Hit & Run Tactical Airsoft outside Swords.

• Advertisement

They ten to be arseholes about it too.. looking down on others without the gear, and treat people like lesser mortals because they are 'elite' becaues they dress up as a Navy Squeel.

Ok i supose if theyr not nice about things i supose that would be a different story but that cant go for all obviously coz i know 1 person that has spend ALOT on his gear and is the nicest guy ever. :)
    I'm just saying :p
    xXx

Yeah, some do... some are. There are the elite geardos we're talking about that are quite different... accurate expensive loadout does not = geardo in the strictest sense... thats a type of person. 'gear weirdo' for you poor folks that havent suffered this type of airsofter for year.

I spend a lot and have accurate kit... but then I also USE it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Puding wrote: »

and agree with your list of team types and there are 101 points between them and combinations of them

I know what you ment, just dont give me any lip...

I'm only joking ;) Sure I'm the most mis interpreted person on the net :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

im glad you enjoyed playing with us..we enjoy playing as a team, havin the craic and a laugh..i think we are moving more towards milsim as a team and away from killsim but i think thats just down to experience of playin week in week out..being on a team can be a very serious affair but not for us, the same bdu is all thats asked, not restrictions on type of AEG..but your more than welcome to come play with us again this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

I started off playing on my own. There were not many teams back then and it was quite common to drop up to a site on your own and have a game a bit of fun and learn the ropes. Hope it still is.

Then I started playing with a friend who had a few friends that also played and we started playing together having the craic and morphed into a team over time.

Given that airsoft is about honour you should first look to yourself and learn the ropes. If you play honestly have a bit of fun take and give advice freely then I'd be surprised if you will be out skirmishing solo for long not that there is anything wrong with that.

Teams are a mixed bag the majority are fine some are exceptionally good and I don't mean they always win they are good community players and honest players which I respect above all else.

There are a few bad apples who are the polar opposite and quite simply I make sure they are not playing at the same site on the same day as I am because they will just piss me off and ruin everyones day with their non hit taking glory running shenanigans.

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭cobra 08

im glad you enjoyed playing with us..we enjoy playing as a team, havin the craic and a laugh..i think we are moving more towards milsim as a team and away from killsim but i think thats just down to experience of playin week in week out..being on a team can be a very serious affair but not for us, the same bdu is all thats asked, not restrictions on type of AEG..but your more than welcome to come play with us again this weekend

Where you lads at this weekend I was going to hit hellfire.

we are in hellfire ourselves this sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

What other people have said.

I made sure to play at a couple of different sites, and didn't really occur to me to join a team until I was approached. In general I wanted to be on a team that doesn't just hit the same site over and over, which is pretty much what the Hawks were. I went to the Gathering, Sennybridge 3 times, Berget, etc. No other team or group (Apart from the Cork Airsoft lads) have had a presence at foreign events as much as the Hawks have, which is what I'm into.

What about team feckin awesome? the Firekitten and Lemming show? :D I think we with the most international events award :D

True, the hawks and cork airsoft club have had a good presence at UK and european events... nice to see a good mix of Irish at big games in the UK too... Remind em you're here lads :)

gerrowadat wrote: »
    What other people have said.

I made sure to play at a couple of different sites, and didn't really occur to me to join a team until I was approached. In general I wanted to be on a team that doesn't just hit the same site over and over, which is pretty much what the Hawks were. I went to the Gathering, Sennybridge 3 times, Berget, etc. No other team or group (Apart from the Cork Airsoft lads) have had a presence at foreign events as much as the Hawks have, which is what I'm into.

This would be one of the main reasons why I would want to join a team. Its not really just about been on a team on a weekend as I believe if the games are uneven teams should be split up so everybody there on the day gets the full experince. Its more having a group of players that play together regulary and attend foreign events in order to get the full experience of Airsoft.:)

• Advertisement

Again, you dont have to be part of a team to go to foreign events... loads from Ireland go to other games in the UK and further afield without being in a team... You can play together regularly with all the other local regulars at your site... I suggest you get out and play :) see the sport, and see how it all rides... Teams are not the holy grail I think you see them as.

(Sorry folks, trying to play devils advocate here to give an even balance to things)

Again, you dont have to be part of a team to go to foreign events... loads from Ireland go to other games in the UK and further afield without being in a team... You can play together regularly with all the other local regulars at your site... I suggest you get out and play :) see the sport, and see how it all rides... Teams are not the holy grail I think you see them as.

(Sorry folks, trying to play devils advocate here to give an even balance to things)

I see your points FK and I dont see the teams as the holy grail. Its that none of my mates take any interest in airsoft and when your involved at least you know that there will be a good show up on site. But due to your points I am hitting Hellfire solo this weekend and going to hit as many sites as possible in coming weeks. As you say get out and play. After all thats what its all about.;)

travel around and play with a few different teams, then when you find the team that best suits you, you'll be in a better position to decide what you want to do then..but as i said, youre definately more than welcome to play with us on sunday

travel around and play with a few different teams, then when you find the team that best suits you, you'll be in a better position to decide what you want to do then..but as i said, youre definately more than welcome to play with us on sunday

Thanks Ill will see you sunday:). And on another note has anybody tried moyvalley as its around the corner from me and the site looks and sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kavanagh.john12

Where would you normally meet teams though and is it like football where some teams despise other teams?

You could say that...

you meet at games, though teams do not make up the majority of players... a lot play without teams in the games... as teams themselves rarely go 'one on one' but are part of larger sides at games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kavanagh.john12

You could say that...

you meet at games, though teams do not make up the majority of players... a lot play without teams in the games... as teams themselves rarely go 'one on one' but are part of larger sides at games.

So why are people in teams if not to take on other teams. That makes no sense.

no offence meant to anyone

Teams are groups of players who basically like to play together... There are squad tactics usable with a group that plays together and wants to use them... it makes them better in the games... Non teams can do that too, but teams have the advantage of knowing eachother and training if they choose to.

Teams are also for like, similar loadouts or outfits... US army... British Army, Durka Durka terrorsits, Police, Swat, Gardai... giant chicken suit teams... its allsorts of reasons really.

Team on team is really only a part of the competative side of the sport.

Advertisement