Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE tv schedules in the 80s and 90s

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

I'm certain Twin Peaks was on RTE 1 after the Nine O'Clock News...think it was a Thursday night though (season 2 episodes in 1990/1991).

You may be right about the original screen of the series... but I agree with the previous poster that Twin Peaks was on v Late night (after that show with Sean Moncrieff) on either Friday or Saturday nights. I used to try to stay up to watch it 'cos I was 16 or so at the time and thought it was 'cool' to stay up as late as possible - but by the time Twin Peaks came on I was usually dozing on the couch, only to wake up again when the ending credits were rolling and the music playing. To this day if I ever hear the theme music I start to get a bit snoooooooozy

Meant to say - I think the Fri/Sat night showing was a re-run

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

MazG wrote: »
    Meant to say - I think the Fri/Sat night showing was a re-run

Twin Peak may have been on The End but generally it was just comedy series on The End. It was repeated late night in the 1990s alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

hey, didn't the Late Late Show used to be on Saturday nights............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

What about Pajo's Junkbox of a Saturday morning?! The one day of the week when it was a good thing to get out of bed early. Can find no clips of it on YouTube however, I actually have forgotten what Pajo's voice sounded like..

pajo if memory serves correctley sounded a lot like dustin the turkey and he was similar in charechter too , ive enjoyed this thread , im a sucker for nostalgia myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Yeah he was a rodent type dude with a long snout, pink hair and a leather jacket!! I'd love to see a clip..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Who remembers Twin peaks? Was late night, might have been a Sunday night.
    I thought that was Monday nights?
    I think 2 other mid-week series were 'moonlighting' and 'cagney and Lacey'. I also remember 'Dynasty', maybe thats the one they showed Sunday night?
    I think Cagney and Lacey was on before Twin Peaks on RTE1.

Anyone else remember Midnight Caller? It was on Saturday's after the Kenny Live show iirc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

AW MAN, Pajo's junkbox!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Anyone else remember Midnight Caller? It was on Saturday's after the Kenny Live show iirc :)

Starring Gary 'Vice President Bob Russell' Cole! Considering I'd say I saw 1 maybe 2 episodes, this show has lodged itself in my mind for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

MT USA on a sunday afternoon on RTE2 with Vincent Hanley. I think it started off rte 2 transmissions for the day. Saturday after mail bag was Family Ties and subsequently Teddy Z if I remember correctly. He-man was on about 5.30 on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx1WX6gRcnY&feature=related

closedown with news and the following days shows,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Duffy7

Was the 'The Live Mike' the show on a Friday night with Mike Murphy.
    There was also another show which was either a Saturday or Friday night which had a guest presenter each week. I remember Rhonda Paisley presented that show one night.

Re the schedule, many moons ago there was some poor man murdered near where I lived. The Gardai called a few weeks later asking did I see anything.

I couldn't remember if I was in or out. Then the Gard told me it was a Sunday evening. To my shame I knew then I wasn't at home because I always went home from my Mothers after Glenroe and the news.
    It was the TV schedule that allowed me track my movements!

Duffy7 wrote: »
    There was also another show which was either a Saturday or Friday night which had a guest presenter each week. I remember Rhonda Paisley presented that show one night.

Saturday Live which became Kenny Live.
    It was the TV schedule that allowed me track my movements!

I don't know if this is a reasonable alibi, what happen in Glenroe that night?*

*tasteless joke, just could resist.

Sidney77 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx1WX6gRcnY&feature=related

closedown with news and the following days shows,

Video removed?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Duffy7 wrote: »
    Elmo wrote: »
    Saturday Live which became Kenny Live.

I don't know if this is a reasonable alibi, what happen in Glenroe that night?*

*tasteless joke, just could resist.

Was it not Bibi Baskin who took over from that show?

Anyway, I remember Where in the world and Murphys Micro Quizm before that.

Also, "Dinny gets a pregnancy scan." Wtf?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Was it not Bibi Baskin who took over from that show?

She was summer time.

I used to hate shows like The Sandy Kelly Show etc hahhaha Golf was usually on the other side.

From December 96

RTE1 THURSDAY
    —————————————————————————————————— 1/2
    07.00 EURO NEWS 09.00 NEWS HEADLINES
    09.10 THE ELEPHANT SHOW
    09.40 GREAT CASTLES OF EUROPE
    10.10 MATERIAL WORLD
    10.35 WOULD YOU BELIEVE?
    11.00 NEWS - A RICH AND RARE LAND
    11.30 TAKE THE HIGH ROAD
    12.00 NEWS 12.02 TWELVE TO ONE
    13.00 NEWS HEADLINES
    13.25 OIREACHTAS REPORT
    13.50 CONSUMING PASSIONS
    14.00 RUMPOLE OF THE BAILEY
    15.00 LIVE AT THREE
    16.00 NEWS SUMMARY - EMMERDALE
    16.30 SCARECROW AND MRS KING
    17.20 BON VOYAGE
    17.30 COUNTRY PRACTICE
    18.01 NEWS - WEATHERLINE Subtitles
    Net 2 * Whats On Now * Sport * TV Index
    aertv.gif RTE1 THURSDAY
    —————————————————————————————————— 2/2
    18.01 SIX-ONE - WEATHER - NEWS FOR DEAF
    19.00 FAIR CITY
    19.30 TALKABOUT
    20.00 MOVEABLE FEAST

20.30 THE CURRENT ACCOUNT
    21.00 NEWS AND WEATHER
    21.30 PRIME TIME
    22.10 THE IRISH NAVY

23.10 THE MOVIE SHOW
    23.40 STREET LEGAL
    00.30 OIREACHTAS REPORT
    00.55 LATE NEWS

RTE2
    NETWORK 2 THURSDAY
    —————————————————————————————————— 1/2
    08.50 DAIL QUESTIONTIME
    10.15 THE MORBEGS
    10.30 OPEN LEARNING

12.05 RHODA 12.35 BENSON
    13.05 PAPER CHASE
    14.05 THE LITTLEST PET SHOP
    14.15 BARNEY & FRIENDS
    14.45 THE MORBEGS
    15.00 DEN TV
    Thomas the Tank Engine - Happy
    Birthday - Caitlin - Bump in the
    Night - Furry Green Tele Quiz -
    captain Planet - Wishbone -
    Echo Island -
    18.00 CALIFORNIA DREAMS
    Subtitles p888
    TV EXTRA 350 ON RTE1
    BBC1 * Whats On Now * Film Previews * Index
    aertv.gif NETWORK 2 THURSDAY
    —————————————————————————————————— 2/2
    18.00 CALIFORNIA DREAMS
    18.30 HOME AND AWAY
    19.00 HAPPY DAYS
    19.25 GLENROE (Rpt)

20.00 NEWS; WEATHERLINE
    20.03 MURPHY BROWN
    20.30 NUACHT

20.35 WEEKEND SPORT
    21.05 NYPD BLUE
    22.00 FATHER TED

22.30 NETWORK NEWS AND WEATHERLINE
    22.50 FILM TOTO THE HERO
    00.20 CLOSE
    Subtitles p888
    Select TV:Viewing Highlights 362 RTE1

Elmo wrote: »
    She was summer time.

I used to hate shows like The Sandy Kelly Show etc hahhaha Golf was usually on the other side.

Yeah, you're right enough. I can remember The Sullivans being on at 5.30, used to be the first programme on. Think it was the old RTE 2, pre Den days, though could have been RTE 1. Jaysus, RTE had some terrible stuff.

Remington Steele with a young Pearse Brosnan and Scarecrow and Mrs. King stick out for me too.East of Eden I think, was a Aussie drama, kind of an Aussie Dynasty. They showed Falcon Crest too and that Knots landing during the day.

The best was Leave it to Mrs. O'Brien though! :eek:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

They still showed Happy Days in 1996!

Scarecrow and Mrs. King was originally 7 or 8 O'Clock but like a lot of them programmes, they showed them during the day, years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

Saturdays around 3 or 4PM in the early 90's:

Baywatch. A special time of the week for me!!!!

K-9 wrote: »
    They still showed Happy Days in 1996!

It's called a repeat. It was one of those filler shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I remember this used to be on Monday nights on RTE 1 after the 9 o' clock news:

Be the jaysus, Dana Delany has aged well, hasn't she? ;) She's one of those women who's like a wine and seems to be getting finer with age! Total MILF material!:D

And I'd forgotten that the 'Emergency Medical Hologram' (albeit with a bit of hair left! :D) from Star Trek: Voyager was in it until I saw that intro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Not really old enough to remember too much now, but I do have vague recollections of a Sunday night routine of watching Theresa Lowe on Where in the World, followed by Glenroe. That was the 90's I think. Also Italian Serie A football on a Monday night always impressed the young Reg, mainly cos Maradona was playing.. Talkabout with Alan Hughes on a Saturday evening around tea-time. Mailbag with Arthur Murphy was on earlier in the day of a Saturday. Should be enough there to get us started!!

That calcio Italia back in the 90s was legendary stuff, zico, careca, maradona....!

none of that prancy celebrity crap we have now

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Saturdays around 3 or 4PM in the early 90's:

Baywatch. A special time of the week for me!!!!

That was on UTV on Saturdays at that time though

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rtetvschedule

I remember this used to be on Monday nights on RTE 1 after the 9 o' clock news:

Be the jaysus, Dana Delany has aged well, hasn't she? ;) She's one of those women who's like a wine and seems to be getting finer with age! Total MILF material!:D

And I'd forgotten that the 'Emergency Medical Hologram' (albeit with a bit of hair left! :D) from Star Trek: Voyager was in it until I saw that intro.

Aidan you are a LEGEND for posting that, had completely forgotten and it was one of the family favourites at the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Please tell me someone has the intro to Garda Patrol

Been trying to find it for ages... got a major ear worm for the intro music and it'll only go away when I finally find it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

vincent hanley from MTUSA was one of the first notable irish people to die from AIDS as far as i can remember too.
    i remember listening to the radio at work last year and the dj had just played a song by sons and daughters, and when he gave the name, he sang it like the intro to that shyte show. it was funny, but when a woman in the room started to sing along with him and kept singing the tune i couldn't stop laughing.
    twin peaks was repeated on the end on friday nights with barry murphy.

now here's my contribution!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Solyad wrote: »
    Please tell me someone has the intro to Garda Patrol

Been trying to find it for ages... got a major ear worm for the intro music and it'll only go away when I finally find it:)

It's easy, all you need is an upturned biscuit tin and two spoons... :)

I remember Saturday mornings particularly, Anything Goes with Aengus McNally, Mary Fitzgerald and Ultan Guilfoyle, The Little Rascals, Mr. Ed, followed later on by Daktari (Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion). Then Saturday Grandstand, and I abandoned the tv at that point...

I was about 12 then, but going back further, I remember Land of the Giants, and Space 1999, two programs which scared me a little at the age of 5 or 6.

The very first program I ever remember watching, at the age of 3 or 4, was The Odd Couple, with Tony Randall and Jack Klugman. I was too young to understand what was going on, but that wonderful theme tune brings me right back every time, the first theme tune I ever remember!

• Advertisement

And there's this too of course.. Classic crime caper with Jake, and his fatman..

Advertisement