Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suggest an active breed please...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

Thanks guys, I passed on the suggestions and she's still thinking about it. She really likes the idea of a springer spaniel, samoyed or boxer. Another friend suggested a german shepherd. My friend has always thought long haired german shepherds are fantastic looking dogs but she's not convinced they'd fit the criteria set out in the OP, e.g. enjoy swimming, stamina to run 3+ hours.... Anyone any thoughts on this?

Also, keep yer other suggestions coming please - they're a big help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

sadhbhc15 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I passed on the suggestions and she's still thinking about it. She really likes the idea of a springer spaniel, samoyed or boxer. Another friend suggested a german shepherd. My friend has always thought long haired german shepherds are fantastic looking dogs but she's not convinced they'd fit the criteria set out in the OP, e.g. enjoy swimming, stamina to run 3+ hours.... Anyone any thoughts on this?

Also, keep yer other suggestions coming please - they're a big help :)

German Shephards are brill, the only thing I would say though is that they would 'slow down' at an earlier age than a Springer Spaniel, Boxers too (not sure about Samoyeds) , Springers will be pretty much as active at 10yrs as they are at 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Unfortunately since German Shepherds are on the restricted breeds list she wouldn't be able to let it off lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

i have a king charles/collie cross that has plenty of energy which suits my lifestyle (daily jogging, mountain treks etc). She was perfect for us as we don't have a huge garden and she ended up being just half-way between collie and king charles size. She is very intelligent and was easy to train and is amazing with kids, extremely friendly. Only downside to the mix is that she got the king charles face and my god she knows how cute she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

+1 on the Samoyed, I have one aswell and hes getting better off the lead I was scared to leave him off at first because what I had heard about them not coming back but hes great:) he loves having a lil run around,sniffing about and will come running back to me(I have my treats just in case) nearly knocks me over now hes so big!lol! hes almost8months now:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

A Labrador would be perfect! Active, friendly, clever and loves water!
    They're the perfect dog! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

Get your friend to look up Italian Spinone

A large gundog breed bred to hunt/point/retrieve

They have the stamina to run/work all day long, they dont tire.

Very unsual looking dog

Excellent with children, arguably the best large breeds, natural affinity with kids. (read breed standard)

The will cover any terrain that labs, spaniels, pointers wont manage.

Being a retriever they love water and very powerful swimmers

Not great guard dogs but but be very safe jogging around with one of these as they are large

Good off lead once some training done

I wouldnt recommend a boxer at all as they tend to overheat fairly easily.

I happen to know of some Italian Spinone puppies available in 8 weeks time;)

Advertisement