Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Russian?- here are some links to help :D

• 29-01-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'd love to be able to speak it, and I'm considering it as part of a TSM in September. I've googled about a bit on it, and find the alphabet a bit tough.

Is the language really hard to learn? :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Iolar wrote: »
    I have removed the link as i wasnt too sure about it

Phew, glad i bookmarked it so :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Marco Swift Predator

Abigayle wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to speak it, and I'm considering it as part of a TSM in September. I've googled about a bit on it, and find the alphabet a bit tough.

Is the language really hard to learn? :-/

The hard part of the language is the grammar. The verb system is pretty easy (bar verb aspect which is tricky). Also remebering words can be difficult due to them not looking like any words you may already know.

Other than that it's a great language:D And you also be in TCD if you do TSM which is a bonus;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Wigglesworth

You can see a bunch of video demos of the major Russian language learning software programs that are available. Sorta helps you find the best match for your learning sytle:

learn to speak Russian

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Irlandesaaa

Veles wrote: »
    Not harder than to learn any other language,once you learn the alphabet you'll find it easier as the words are pronounced as they are written and Russian doesn't have complicated sentence structures like in English:)

hey there! i'm new to the russian forum ^^' interesting answer but...d'ya know a simple way to switch alphabets in windows 7 (mic word only?) i'm quite used to the cyrillic already and it's harder for me to write russian words in roman alphabet than cyrillic... thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 whildchild

If you're on windows 7, there's a little EN down on your task bar yoke at the bottom of your screen. Click on that, click "show the language bar",click the tiny down arrow and go into settings. After that you can just click on the EN and you can have the option to use the Cyrillic keyboard! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 whildchild

Also, I'm doing Russian in TCD and it's awesome! It's such a supportive department and you have lovely small classes and you do loads of fun stuff which help the Russian stick in your head! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Irlandesaaa

whildchild wrote: »
    If you're on windows 7, there's a little EN down on your task bar yoke at the bottom of your screen. Click on that, click "show the language bar",click the tiny down arrow and go into settings. After that you can just click on the EN and you can have the option to use the Cyrillic keyboard! :)

yayy!! спасибо!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

yayy!! спасибо!! :D

ypa!!!))) I studied Russian for one year in TCD and loved it. The only reason I left was due to the French department being so poxy. Truly gifted teaching in the Russian department.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭survivor2

An interesting website http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/

La_Gordy wrote: »
    ypa!!!))) I studied Russian for one year in TCD and loved it. The only reason I left was due to the French department being so poxy. Truly gifted teaching in the Russian department.

Ye I'm same loved the Russian department. I left because I didn't like the Business side of the things. Am definitely going to go back and do the night courses some time

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gruenchen

survivor2 wrote: »

wowser great link, thanks :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jenny_Dublin

Hi to everyone! I am a native Russian speaker, I can offer private Russian lessons. I have worked as a teacher for 3 years, lived in Russia, now living in Dublin 7 (Phibsborough). Lessons can be held both at my place or at yours if it is D7, D3 or D1. 15 euro per hour.

Phone 085 241 29 22. Jenny (Evgenia).

Hi to everyone! I am a native Russian speaker, I can offer private Russian lessons. I have worked as a teacher for 3 years, lived in Russia, now living in Dublin 7 (Phibsborough). Lessons can be held both at my place or at yours if it is D7, D3 or D1. 15 euro per hour.

Phone 085 241 29 22. Jenny (Evgenia).

I might be interested in doing these lessons. I'll have to see how much time I have free when I go back to college. So I may be in touch, but I'm not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jenny_Dublin

Ok) You have my number, so whenever you're ready just let me know! Regards!

http://learnrussian.rt.com/lessons/greeting-first-simple-phrases-professions/

Here's a great website from Russia Today to help with learning the language.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Here's a great website from Russia Today to help with learning the language.
    Russia Today? I can imagine it:

EN: I enjoy speaking Russian freely!
    RU: Свобода слова? Ты думаешь, что ты живешь в Ирланде? Где наша милиция? Идите в тюрьму за жизнь!

EN: How can I express my love for your Dear Leader?
    RU: Я очень, очень люлбю Маленького Княза Путина!

EN: The government in Kiev lacks legitimacy.
    RU: Они преступники, Бандеристи, Hацисти.

EN: We want peace with Ukraine!
    RU: Ты дурак или что? Украина - это не страна, это Россия. Нам нада посылать Россискую Войску. Конечно, за мир. Наш мир.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 MNV_Dub

don't think these were mentioned before:

russianforfree.com has some grand stuff, only thing I didn't particularly like is that they're only using phonetic for the cyrillic version and not the latin version (like they would use kharasho instead of horosho). Which might be good if you have trouble with the pronunciation but is very confusing if you then have to unlearn everything again when typing to someone in russian.

I also joined russianpod101.com which is good if you don't mind the ridiculously annoying male presenter constantly hitting on his copresenter(s). And the fact that for the first week they will try and push you to get some kind of subscription. I never got the subscription but still keep getting "word of the day" emails and as far as I know I still have access to most of the stuff, so does come in handy.

Advertisement