Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New season in ireland

Options
  • 28-01-2010 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Anybody any idea what teams are playing this year and in what league structure. How must does it cost to set up a team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

spursman wrote: »
    Anybody any idea what teams are playing this year and in what league structure. How must does it cost to set up a team

All I can say is, watch this space; www.rli.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 spursman

be waiting a while so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭MerryWhistleblo

Just a quick heads up, any queries about team/club foundation are best directed to Callum Irving (General Manager RLI).Try info@rli.ie to contact him.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

having played in RLI comps for about 4 or 5 years now it really feels like the game is struggling here. Some good teams gone that won't be back Kilkenny Wildcats, Dublin Blues and Kerry Kings. Titans and Carlow and so far ahead of the rest it doesn't seem to be great for the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

any teams in Cork?

• Advertisement

Cork24, there is a planned return for a team in Cork for the 2010 season. Don't have contact details for the organisers but would suggest contacting Brendan Guillfoyle(RLI development officer for Munster/Connaught) at devmc@rli.ie and he should be able to provide these details.

Ok cool I'll give him an email and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ismhunter

The schedule for the new season is up on RLI.IE. Anyone know what days and times the exiles train?

Also if theres going to be a leinster and munster league then surely there must be new teams as i'd have said that there wasnt enough teams to make those leagues good ones??

Ismhunter wrote: »
    The schedule for the new season is up on RLI.IE. Anyone know what days and times the exiles train?

Also if theres going to be a leinster and munster league then surely there must be new teams as i'd have said that there wasnt enough teams to make those leagues good ones??

exiles train in Terenure Rugby Club and sometimes Terenure's schoolgrounds (depends on tag) on Wednesday nights. Usually for between 1 and a half to 2 hours. Training is good but you'd need to do your fitness yourself as it's mostly gameplan stuff that they train for. give the coach an email and he'll keep you up to date
    exilesrl@ireland.com

is there going to be a separate munster and leinster league, what teams are going to be in each

• Advertisement

i doubt it, there's shag all teams in ireland right now and most of them are in leinster. in fact i think limerick are the only munster team, or at least they were last year. Portlaoise or carlow might align themselves in munster the way the kilkenny wildcats did before but other than that it's just the titans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

First round on a bank holiday.
    Fifth Round on a bank holiday.
    A nines competition on Oxygen weekend and an A-team game to take possible players away.

I'd love the comp to be a success but experience tells me that it's hard to get a decent team together for bank holidays / oxygen weekends as a lot of the team want to go home those weekends. There needs to be some slack built into the fixtures and a reluctance admitance that unfortunately RL isn't peoples priority in the summer. I'm sure they have/will discuss with clubs though.

It looks like a combined league otherwise I would expect seperate playoffs as there is for Ulster. Perhaps they're expecting 9 teams? and so 8 rounds.
    Last year there were 6: Portloaise, Eagles, Exiles, Titans, Crusaders and the Knights. Big step for those new clubs to be brought straight in. I wouldn't fancy facing the titans or crusaders in round 1 as a newcomer to league. Either that or a lucky dip draw to decide which teams face each other twice.

what new teams are there? the only one i know that might be about are the tallaght tigers and to be honest if they're anything like they were a couple of years ago they'll have a very tough time against any of those teams

JonnyF wrote: »
    what new teams are there? the only one i know that might be about are the tallaght tigers and to be honest if they're anything like they were a couple of years ago they'll have a very tough time against any of those teams

I've no idea what possible new teams there could be.Tallaght are I suppose an outside bet. Galway, Tipperary and Cork would be ideal expansion areas to add to a Munster League.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

I try to keep an eye on RL back in Irl and it seems to be an annual stress getting teams/clubs/leagues organised in time to publicise what's going on.

With that in mind, are the new full-time staff (Dev. Officers and Gen. Manager) putting any time into developing under age RL with a view to them then becoming the senior players? I know it can be difficult to get an 'in' at a school but it might be the only option. Schools rugby (Union) has finished now and there are alot of young people taking part in no sport for the summer. I'm sure there are schools who would jump at the opportunity of having sessions run in a new sport for their kids. Am I being too naive to think this can be done?

I'm fully aware of the difficulties involved in setting up and running (and maintaining) a rugby league club as I'm heavily involved in running a club in Leeds (where it should be a doddle!).

What do people think? How are the RLI staff getting to new players and volunteers? How difficult are RU and GAA clubs to deal with?

A lot of the questions raised on this thread can be answered by contacting the development officer for Munster/Connaught at devmc@rli.ie , development officer for Leinster/Ulster at devlu@rli.ie , RLI general manager at callum.irving@rli.ie or general inquiries can be directed to info@rli.ie .

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kellco88

AdeT wrote: »
    I try to keep an eye on RL back in Irl and it seems to be an annual stress getting teams/clubs/leagues organised in time to publicise what's going on.

With that in mind, are the new full-time staff (Dev. Officers and Gen. Manager) putting any time into developing under age RL with a view to them then becoming the senior players? I know it can be difficult to get an 'in' at a school but it might be the only option. Schools rugby (Union) has finished now and there are alot of young people taking part in no sport for the summer. I'm sure there are schools who would jump at the opportunity of having sessions run in a new sport for their kids. Am I being too naive to think this can be done?

I'm fully aware of the difficulties involved in setting up and running (and maintaining) a rugby league club as I'm heavily involved in running a club in Leeds (where it should be a doddle!).

What do people think? How are the RLI staff getting to new players and volunteers? How difficult are RU and GAA clubs to deal with?

Its important that the main league is sorted out first. Its expanded this year.

In relation to your question on GAA and RU clubs. GAA clubs have gotten a slap on the wrist from the powers that be for letting ru clubs use their grounds for training etc.

Some RU clubs are very co-operative from my experience. More so the bigger ones as smaller clubs would fear losing their better players to RL

looking for a Rugby League team that is based in Cork or even an sevens team.

If you e-mail Brendan Guilfoyle devmc@rli.ie he should be able to put you in touch with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

From Rugbyleague.com:

Irish rugby unveils reforms.

Wednesday 21st April 2010

Rugby League Ireland (RLI) have launched an inter-provincial championship to provide a pathway into the international team.
    The initiative was announced at the launch of the 2010 Carnegie League at the Tallaght Stadium in Dublin, where officials also unveiled a new-look league format.
    "Hopefully the advent of the inter-provincial game will give players a platform to get onto the A team or international and possibly pick up full-time contracts in the UK, as two players did last season," said RLI general manager Callum Irving.
    Teams will play in three provinces - Leinster, Munster and Ulster - with the title decided by a play-off series.
    RLI director Gordon Matthews said: "This is the first time ever we will have three conferences competing for the All Ireland Championship.
    "It's a huge step forward from last year when we had just one league with only six teams."

• Advertisement

toomevara wrote: »
    From Rugbyleague.com:

Not quite the huge step from one league to three when you consider the Ulster comp was AFAIK already being played last year and have only just come back under a unified RLI.As long as all fixtures are played it will be a succesful jump in playing numbers. If teams start dropping fixtures during the season though like the bad old days then I fear for the competition. Its hard to get lads to come back year after year when they aren't sure that fixtures are going to take place and they cancel weekends away only to find the other team can't fulfill.

Anybody know what teams are in what league

LEINSTER

Carlow Crusaders
    North Dublin Eagles
    Dublin City Exiles
    Tullamore Knights
    Laois Panthers
    Athboy Longhorns
    Wicklow (Vikings?)

ULSTER

Ballynahinch Rabbitohs
    East Belfast Bulldogs
    Portadown Pumas
    Strangford Sharks
    Enniskillen (?)

MUNSTER

Bruff (?)
    Cork Bulls
    Treaty City Titans

what's a wicklow viking and why are they training in tallaght?

what's a wicklow viking and why are they training in tallaght?

I would have thought that the Wicklow team were part of Wicklow RFC?

did a google search and it says they train in kiltipper in tallaght, and the coach is the guy who was running the tigers so maybe it's a rebranding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

sad to see nothing in Waterford. There was a time when it looked like it might take off down here.

did a google search and it says they train in kiltipper in tallaght, and the coach is the guy who was running the tigers so maybe it's a rebranding

Maybe so, it seems wierd to do so though as Tallaght are/were an old club with some history.Season starts on Saturday and I must say I am lookking forward to it.it;ll be interesting to see if anyone can break the Treaty / Carlow stranglehold on the competition.

Full List of Fixtures: (Kick Off 2pm Unless Otherwise Stated)

Ulster:
    Fermanagh Redskins -v- Portadown Pumas
    Ballynahinch Rabbitohs -v- East Belfast Bulldogs
    Strangford Sharks BYE

Leinster:
    Portlaoise Panthers -v- Carlow Crusaders
    Wicklow Vikings -v- Dublin City Exiles
    Athboy -v- North Dublin Eagles
    Tullamore Knights BYE

Munster:
    Treaty City Titans -v- Bruff
    Cork Bulls BYE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Are those matches tomorrow? And are any of them on in Dublin? Got a good few hours to kill tomorrow.

Advertisement