Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meg, why the hell hasnt this been made yet?!

Options
  • 28-01-2010 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

This is BEGGING to be made into a movie, its been in development for over a decade now, been through three studios, a bunch of directors (Jan de Bont was attached at one point, with Guillermo Del Toro at another)

Its based on a bunch of trashy novels by Steve Alten, about a Megalodon, a gigantic, 70 foot shark found in the Mariana Trench, one of the deepest places on earth, its trapped there as it needs a certain temperature of water to survive, and the volcanic eruptions that happen underwater in the deep ocean are keeping the water at the right temp, the shallower waters above are too cold for it to go into so its stayed there since the prehistoric age, it finds its way to the surface and starts eating, well everything really. Its airport novel trash writing at its finest, damn entertaining too, the book begins with a Megalodon attacking and eating a T-Rex in prehistoric times, whats not to love:D

A script was bouncing around for a few years but the setpieces in it are huge, and the budget was clocking in at over 150 million dollars so it keeps being pushed back, according to imdb its slated for a 2011 release but thats pretty unlikely. There have been a spate of giant sea creature movies made lately (Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus is beyond hilariously bad, check it out!) but this could be the new Jaws, look at some of the concept art for it, who honestly wouldnt want to see a big budget movie with a 70ft shark devouring people in it?! I love a good B movie with some giant creature in it, and this is the daddy of them all

meg-concept-art.jpg

meg1.jpg

MEG2.jpg

1.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I would pay money to see this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The series of books are well worth a read, pure trash but hugely entertaining, the Meg actually existed too, its was pretty much the most badass thing to ever live, 70 feet long and weighing over 100 tons,and had a bite force of 41,000 pounds of pressure, it was basically a freight train with teeth, it needs its own movie:)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

Sharks sure do love their helicopters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

The only one I've read is Primal Waters, bought it in the States and flew through it on the plane, thought it was a great bit of trash! I'd say the movie is a long way away if it's gonna happen though, the movie update section has disappeared from Alten's website altogether and iMDB is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Well, until Meg actually comes out, there's still The Asylum's cheap knock-off - Megashark vs Giant Octopus.

mega-shark-vs-giant-octopus-560x345.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284303/

2.2 out of 10. Sounds like a keeper.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ObeyGiant wrote: »
    Well, until Meg actually comes out, there's still The Asylum's cheap knock-off - Megashark vs Giant Octopus.

mega-shark-vs-giant-octopus-560x345.jpg
    I like their interpretation of a supposedly 70 foot shark. 'Let's make it a mile long. That'll get the punters!'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

It should be in 3-D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭jeffreylebowski

Chocolate Teapot... that sounds delicious.

And next up: I think the goodness of a movie is often determined by the bigness of the shark. By that rationale this movie could be off the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Haven't read the books so don't know how they are strung out plot wise but would it not be fairly easy to find and kill?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284303/

2.2 out of 10. Sounds like a keeper.

That has Badger in it!!!!
    AKA Mark Sheppard

Haven't read the books so don't know how they are strung out plot wise but would it not be fairly easy to find and kill?

You'd think that, they do try hunt it down but it usually eats whatever vessel they're using to do it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

krudler wrote: »
    You'd think that, they do try hunt it down but it usually eats whatever vessel they're using to do it:D

And I guess those evil scientists will try to catch it to use as some sort of bioweapon with disastrous results (will they never learn?) and those pesky environmentalists would try to protect it until it eats their Greenpeace boat.

Actually that sounds like a lot of fun.

Well a rich Japanese guy wants it for his waterpark aquarium , you can imagine what happens next :D

Well a rich Japanese guy wants it for his waterpark aquarium , you can imagine what happens next :D

That brought a smile to my face. It just sounds like a delight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I guess it's because Jaws is the benchmark for taking trashy airport novels about really big sharks and crafting them into a superior blockbuster.
    I haven't read the books so I can't say for sure but the premise seems daft and there has to be a pretty limited scope in the narrative to make Meg feel like anything other than a poor second cousin to a Jaws rip off, I don't think I could suffer through another 'Deep Blue Sea' and Meg looks likely to be the 'Friday the 13th' to Jaws' 'Halloween', at which point you have to think, what's the point?
    That said, it might make a pretty cool 3D action blockbuster, I guess they might be waiting to see how Pirahana 3D fares at the box office to test the waters, so to speak.

conorhal wrote: »
    I guess it's because Jaws is the benchmark for taking trashy airport novels about really big sharks and crafting them into a superior blockbuster.
    I haven't read the books so I can't say for sure but the premise seems daft and there has to be a pretty limited scope in the narrative to make Meg feel like anything other than a poor second cousin to a Jaws rip off, I don't think I could suffer through another 'Deep Blue Sea' and Meg looks likely to be the 'Friday the 13th' to Jaws' 'Halloween', at which point you have to think, what's the point?
    That said, it might make a pretty cool 3D action blockbuster.

Harsh... to my mind Deep Blue Sea is easily in the top five alltime multiple killer shark movies ever made. (Though actually it also introduced me to Thomas Jane, who has become one of my favourite actors)

Harsh... to my mind Deep Blue Sea is easily in the top five alltime multiple killer shark movies ever made. (Though actually it also introduced me to Thomas Jane, who has become one of my favourite actors)

I suppose it's hard to argue against a movie that that's willing to use any 'ol feeble excuse to strip Saffron Burrows down to her skimpies.... but Thomas 'more punishing than punisher' Jane, he's forever on the short list with Vigo Mortenson, Clive Owen and Abs McConaughey for the 'bland generic lead in a motion picture' award. I admire his work on Hung, but that is perhaps because I consider his star power to be strictly TV wattage. (sorry!)

but Thomas 'more punishing than punisher' Jane, he's forever on the short list with Vigo Mortenson, Clive Owen and Abs McConaughey for the 'bland generic lead in a motion picture' award. I admire his work on Hung, but that is perhaps because I consider his star power to be strictly TV wattage. (sorry!)

Hah! That's fair enough really. I quite liked him until I saw him in Stander and then I just started to take him a lot more seriously. But yeah, he's in a few clankers...

Edit- Btw I was kind of kidding about the alltime top five multiple killer shark movies... I don't like any other multiple killer shark movies. I love Jaws, and I kinda like Deep Blue Sea even though it's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Get an English baddie like Gary Oldman or Tim Roth to lead a team of Navy SWATs to kill the shark.
    Make the Shark fall in love with a female actress. When it gets blown to pieces at the end there won't be a dry eye in the house. What an original premise for a movie.

• Advertisement

Get an English baddie like Gary Oldman or Tim Roth to lead a team of Navy SWATs to kill the shark.
    Make the Shark fall in love with a female actress. When it gets blown to pieces at the end there won't be a dry eye in the house. What an original premise for a movie.

I like this very much. I wonder if there's room for a human who gets implanted with uh, shark dna. And gets shark powers. I love hybrids. (then this franchise could merge with Aliens and Predator franchise for some ultimate showdowns)

Edit- Btw I was kind of kidding about the alltime top five multiple killer shark movies... I don't like any other multiple killer shark movies. I love Jaws, and I kinda like Deep Blue Sea even though it's crap.

Oh I think I got that. :D

I like this very much. I wonder if there's room for a human who gets implanted with uh, shark dna. And gets shark powers. I love hybrids. (then this franchise could merge with Aliens and Predator franchise for some ultimate showdowns)

Then you'd love (in that so bad it's good kinda way) Peter 'Jaws' Benchley's TV mini series 'Creature'. As an ambhibious shark hybrid stalks both sea and.... LAND!!! It's craptacular!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The series of books are well worth a read, pure trash but hugely entertaining, the Meg actually existed too, its was pretty much the most badass thing to ever live, 70 feet long and weighing over 100 tons,and had a bite force of 41,000 pounds of pressure, it was basically a freight train with teeth, it needs its own movie:)

Eh, more like 52 feet long and under 50 tonnes.

Not that we need this movie anymore. Not when we have Shark Attack 3: Megalodon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭fluke

Harsh... to my mind Deep Blue Sea is easily in the top five alltime multiple killer shark movies ever made.

When I saw this I was like WTF how many shark movies are there bar the Jaws movies and Deep Blue Sea :pac:

I realise it was all in good jest of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Oh I think I got that. :D

Then you'd love (in that so bad it's good kinda way) Peter 'Jaws' Benchley's TV mini series 'Creature'. As an ambhibious shark hybrid stalks both sea and.... LAND!!! It's craptacular!

Wow. Yes. A thousand times yes. I'll have to track that down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

That, and the giant squid one, were AMAZING. Its like my youth all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

How would you take him out at the end of the film. I don't think the exploding air tank would be enough to kill him. Maybe something like a massive beaching or better still a tactical nuclear bomb placed into his stomach.

Sounds like a cracking movie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I want to see these in the cinema, where they deserve to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

NEEDS A BIGGER SHARK! BIGGER!

Advertisement