Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Non fiction books you have read?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for suggestions as these type books I like to read

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

im not a big Non-fiction reader but my favourite book was recommended by a friend who is an avid non-fiction reader and this is a must if into american culture and politics........

http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Fear-Americans-Afraid-Things/dp/0465014909

and no dont worry about the Michael Moore tendancies it is more balanced than anythign he has written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Fermat's Last Theroem - Simon Singh

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

The Great Bridge or 1776 by David McCullough

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Not sure if you like war books, but you can't go wrong
    with anything by Anthony Beevor - Stalingrad, Berlin or
    the Spanish Civil war, which I am currently reading.

Has a fantastic way of describing events, giving you an
    overview of a complicated situation then zooming in to focus
    on events take place on the ground and how they affect the individual
    participants. Not unlike Tolstoy in 'War and Peace' in his
    ability to describe a battle scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thanks all for your help:)

Yes read Berlin was excellent book (so much so read it twice). Must get others he has out too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

+1 if you like historical non-fiction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Cosmos, by Carl Sagan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

The Geography of Nowhere by James Howard Kunstler

I don't agree with everything he says, and he tends to be a bit of a doomsdayer, but certainly interesting and his writing style is always colorful.

One of my favorite quotes, I'll have to paraphrase...
    "We've become a bunch of overfed clowns living in a hostile cartoon environment."

It's about suburbinization, car depedency, souless architecture, chain stores killing off smaller shops, consumerism, obesity, the environment and lots of other things

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

Easy Way to give up Smoking By Allen Carr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Generally, I don't enjoy non-fiction books but I loved Assasination Vacation by Sarah Vowell - I found it really entertaining and easy to read, and I learned a few things along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BaelNaMblath

SALT is really good. And it has nothing to do with that awful looking angelina travesty coming out in theaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

A Peoples Tragedy: A history of the russian revolution

excellent book concerning the russian revolution,what came before and the civil war after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

The Longest Day - Cornelius Ryan (WWII book about D-day)
    Madame Secretary - Madeline Albright (autobiography)
    Pascal's Wager - James Connor (biography of Pascal)

All are good reads if you are interested in the topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Stella777 wrote: »
    The Geography of Nowhere by James Howard Kunstler

I don't agree with everything he says, and he tends to be a bit of a doomsdayer, but certainly interesting and his writing style is always colorful.

"We've become a bunch of overfed clowns living in a hostile cartoon environment."

It's about suburbinization, car depedency, souless architecture, chain stores killing off smaller shops, consumerism, obesity, the environment and lots of other things

I finished The Geography of Nowhere last Autumn, and although I agree with nearly all of Kunstler's arguments, I can't say I really enjoyed the read.
    I was recommended this book by someone who said that the suburban sprawl that Kunstler was so critical of in his book, was being replicated in Ireland during the property bubble of the past decade.
    Overall, I agree with his central thesis, that a car-orientated planning regime results in ugly, characterless and ultimately dehumanising towns and cities. It was especially interesting to read his book during the Copenhagen Climate Change Conference, as many of the issues he hinted in his 1993 book would become major international issues by 2010 have actually come to pass.
    My criticisms of the book would be that he does seem to play the same tune throughout, rehashing the same old arguments – I believe the book could have benefited from more ruthless editing. I thought some of the case studies were irrelevant to a wider international audience. I thought his account of his trip to Disneyworld was pointless: there was never any chance that a someone as committed to sustainable planning as Kunstler would have enjoyed such an excursion; the resulting essay was just a tad bit overblown. However, I particularly enjoyed his case studies of the development of Los Angeles, Detroit and Portland.
    His concluding Credo has some interesting recommendations; however I don't think quite it made up for the tediousness of the preceding chapters.

Reading Stalin: In the Court of the Red Tsar by Simon Sebag Montefiore at the moment and think it's brilliant, a real pager-turner, even if there are quite a few names to keep track of. He is a brilliant historian and really paints a full picture of the characters in Stalin's inner circle and conveys the atmosphere of paranoia that pervaded in the USSR during the Purges.

Overall I probably prefer non-fiction to fiction - I certainly seem to read more of the former. Last week I finished Shane Hegarty's The Irish (& Other Foreigners), a popular history of 10,000 years of migration to Ireland, a fascinating and enjoyable book.

Some of my all time favourite non-fiction books include:
    • The State of Africa - Martin Meredith
    • Hidden Agendas - John Pilger
    • The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East - Robert Fisk
    • Guns Germs and Steal - Jared Diamond
    • The Undercover Economist - Tim Harford
    • The War of the World: Twentieth-Century Conflict and the Descent of the West - Niall Ferguson
    • The Second World: Empires and Influence in the New Global Order - Parag Khanna
    • Foul!: The Secret World of FIFA: Bribes, Vote Rigging and Ticket Scandals - Andrew Jennings
    • Al-Qaeda - Jason Burke

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

David Simon - Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets

I know I keep harping on about it, but if I ever read a work of non-fiction as good as this I will be pleasantly surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Al-Qaeda - Jason Burke

Must look into reading this book.

I read his book "On the Road to Kandahar" excellent read

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Kandahar-Travels-Through-Conflict/dp/0141024356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264513189&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

The best non-fiction book I've read in the last while was King Leopold's Ghost - Adam Hochschild - an account of Beligian activities in the Congo in the nineteenth century, best non-fiction book I've read in quite a while. Excellently written, and hard hitting. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The two that impacted my life most and are the most thumbed on my bookshelf are:

'Affluenza' by Oliver James
    'The Beauty Myth' by Naomi Wolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Originally Posted by gaf1983 viewpost.gif
    Al-Qaeda - Jason Burke
    Must look into reading this book.

I read his book "On the Road to Kandahar" excellent read

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Kandahar-Travels-Through-Conflict/dp/0141024356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264513189&sr=8-1

Both great reads. I read a great book about Jack the Ripper (actually it's more about the murders and not coming up with nonsesnse theories) called The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Phillip Sugden.
    Another good non fiction one I read a good while back was In Harms Way by Doug Stanton; it's about the sinking of the USS Indianopolis in WW2, which was made famous in Jaws by Robert Shaws monologue.
    I'd also recommend Cosmos by Carl Sagan and Guns, Gemrs and Steel by Jared Diamond (Collapse is good aswell) which were mentioned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I would actually be quite skeptical of someones choice of their favorite non-fiction book. This is because usually their choice wont be based on the quality of the book, but rather because the book suits their own point of view.

As someone who almost exclusively reads fiction I rarely come across this tendancy, with the major exception (and with the utmost deference to Valmont :pac:) of Ayn Rand. Whilst I would agree with Rand on most things, I don't think her books are written well and I think she is undeserving of any "great" status amongst writers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

BopNiblets wrote: »
    A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson was good.

Yes, and it's nearly everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Where do you start? Here's some of my all time favourite non-fiction reads;
      Karl Marx - Francis Wheen.
      My War Gone By I Miss It So - Anthony Loyd.
      Reformation - Diarmaid McCullough.
      Travels With A Tangerine - Tim Mackintosh Smith.
      The Buried Soul: How Humans Invented Death - Timothy Taylor
      How are We to Live: Peter Singer.
      The Art of Travel: Alain de Botton.
      The Battle for God: Karen Armstrong.
      The Blind Watchmaker: Richard Dawkins.
      The End of Faith: Sam Harris.
      The Suicide of the West: Richard Koch and Chris Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Two recent Irish non-fiction books I read (featured in my reading log in my sig) were Fintan O'Toole's Ship of Fools and David Lynch's A Divided Paradise. Both were excellent, particularly A Divided Paradise.

Before Christmas I read the latest Richard Dawkins book, The Greatest Show On Earth. I much preferred this one to The God Delusion as it focuses mainly on evolutionary biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭brumindub

I would recommend "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom. It's a very moving book about the last months or so of a terminally ill man's journey and the relationship he re-discovers with one of his ex-pupil's (the author).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Forgotton Soldier - Guy Sajer

About a man who joiins the German army and fights on the eastern front in World War II , WOW is all I can say about it , An amazing read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

On the balance of things I've probably read more non fiction than fiction, and much of that has been excessively dull.

Here is a rundown of my favourite works. Most of them are 'popular' for a reason you know :)

• Robert Harvey, A Few Bloody Noses (Excellent narrative of the American revolution from a British pov)
    • Fearghal Mc Garry, Eoin O Duffy (Excellent biography, in nearly every way. Has a great ability to write about wider issues and very insignificant issues in the same breadth)
    • Niall Ferguson, Empire (Puts the British Empire in perspective)
    • Michael Hopkinson, Green against Green (Authoritative account of the Irish Civil War)
    • Tim Pat Coogan, Michael Collins (Don't care what anyone says, its a very good biography!)
    • Lord Longford, Peace by Ordeal (semi archaic prose, perfect title for a book on the anglo Irish treaty)
    • Conor Cruise O Brian, The Great Melody (Fantastic thematic biography of Edmund Burke)
    • Tom Holland, Rubicon (This has gotten some criticism as far as I know, but the drama of the fall of the Roman Republic is accounted for with majesterial competance)
    • AJP Taylor, Origins of the Second World War (Controversial analysis of the origins of WWII)
    • John France, Military history of the first crusade (Exciting)
    • Peter Hart, IRA and its enemies in co. Cork (Controversial and probably wrong, but well meant)
    • R.B. Mc Dowell, Public Opinion in Ireland, 1750-1800 (Fantastic review of pamphleteering literature in an age of revolution in Ireland)
    • Machiavelli, The Prince (multi layered)
    • Edmund Burke, Reflections of the Revolution in France (The rallying rhetoric of the philosophy of moderation)

And of Course:

• Stephen Runciman, History of the crusades in 3 volumes (BY FAR my most favourite non fiction read)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Denerick wrote: »
    Niall Ferguson, Empire (Puts the British Empire in perspective)

I'm glad you liked it :D

My central qualm with it was that I perceived a sense of bias towards the British Empire, particularly in the first and last chapters. I think he was justifying it on the basis of economics or something?

Saying that, it was a year and a half ago when I read it. I still had a bit of the petty Irish nationalism in me and was probably insulted by the pro-Empire stance from my subjective viewpoint. Theres been a lot of growing up since then...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'm glad you liked it :D

My central qualm with it was that I perceived a sense of bias towards the British Empire, particularly in the first and last chapters. I think he was justifying it on the basis of economics or something?

Saying that, it was a year and a half ago when I read it. I still had a bit of the petty Irish nationalism in me and was probably insulted by the pro-Empire stance from my subjective viewpoint. Theres been a lot of growing up since then...

Lol. Thanks for the book by the way!

I liked it because it was controversial. I don't necessarily agree with what he's saying but he does make it intelligable. People like to whinge about the British Empire as an inherently evil thing, but he does a good job of putting it into a sense of economic rationality. In short I would say that I found it interesting without agreeing with him all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Stella777 wrote: »

gaf1983 wrote: »
    His concluding Credo has some interesting recommendations; however I don't think quite it made up for the tediousness of the preceding chapters.

Is it worth a read? I wouldn't be the biggest fan of so-called progress myself so might have a look at this. What did you find tedious, the message or the writing style?

Advertisement