Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia daylight running lights

Options
  • 24-01-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi,
    I generally drive with my dims on during the day during winter but know its not ideal. I have recently purchased an Octavia and am wondering if I should add the Light Assistant as an extra to get the Daylight option. Anyone hear have them or seen them on a Skoda? How do they look?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

something like this I'd say:

banner-octaviarsliftback.jpg

i.e not great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I think they look nice. I know on the passat they have that option its only 20 euro extra i think but your dims are on all the time. those lights are subtle looking i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Damien360

Those look pointless. As it is a requirement for cars in scadanavian countrys to have their lights on all the time, I would bet that these things would'nt be allowed as "daytime running lights". It takes the very reason for having lights on during the day away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

10 or more years ago it was announced that all vehicles in the EC produced from 2004 onwards must have day-time running lights - obviously enough it never happened and I cannot understand why! After living in Germany in '96/'97 I became accustomed to turning on my lights every time I start the car ( people see you in their rearview earlier and get out of your way a lot quicker on the Autobhan) and haven't stopped doing it since. How many threads here have complained about people driving in low visibility or even in the dark without any lights on! :eek:

(P.S. Front Foglight Use An Optional Extra!!!!!) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭albob

Lets not turn this into a front fogs debate....wont last long if it does. ;)

Yeah, those daylight running lights are not the greatest, but surely would be more economical than dims on all the time, and less annoying to other drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

albob wrote: »
    Lets not turn this into a front fogs debate....wont last long if it does. ;)

Yeah, those daylight running lights are not the greatest, but surely would be more economical than dims on all the time, and less annoying to other drivers.

I think the point of them is to in a sense annoy other drivers and pedestrians. Its all about being seen and I would love to see them on every car because I am sick to death of the clueless peeps in fog with no lights. Tis todays peeve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I generally drive with my dims on during the day during winter but know its not ideal.

Why isn't it ideal?

-Chris- wrote: »
    Why isn't it ideal?

1) Less economical on fuel
    2) Can be dazzling to other drivers if out of focus, or on hilly roads
    3) Have to remember to put them on

Less economical on fuel? I presume you won't be using the air conditioning or opening the windows either then

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Less economical on fuel? I presume you won't be using the air conditioning or opening the windows either then

It all adds up or subtracts. Forget aircon or windows. LED vs Halogen for example power wise cant be disputed.

tesco.jpg
    :p

• Advertisement

1) Less economical on fuel

I'd rather be visible and safe than save a few pennies

Also, as Colm says, there are many other things that will also affect your fuel economy.

How much mpg do you think you're losing by having your lights on?

2) Can be dazzling to other drivers if out of focus, or on hilly roads

That's not a reason to turn them off, that's a reason to have them properly aligned.

3) Have to remember to put them on

I forced myself to turn them on every time I sat into the car, now it's a habit just like turning on the ignition or putting on my seatbelt.

How much does the Light Assistant cost? How does that cost balance against the fuel saving/inconvenience?

bbk wrote: »
    It all adds up or subtracts. Forget aircon or windows. LED vs Halogen for example power wise cant be disputed.
    This isn't like replacing all your bulbs in the house for CFLs. I'm asking how much fuel would you actually save, given that the DRLs will have to be paid for in the first place.

I know they use less energy but come on.......

This isn't like replacing all your bulbs in the house for CFLs. I'm asking how much fuel would you actually save, given that the DRLs will have to be paid for in the first place.

I know they use less energy but come on.......

I understand that, im not disputing that the fuel saving would be minimal, I am however saying that there is a difference, however small it is I dont really mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

something like this I'd say:

banner-octaviarsliftback.jpg

i.e not great

Vanity lights. No useful purpose. They're for the gombeens who think it's cool to have f** lights on, so they don't need to have them on.

Quick look on Google...
    http://www.swov.nl/rapport/Factsheets/UK/FS_DRL.pdf
    Does DRL have any disadvantages?
    "DRL has disadvantages. If the lamps are lit, the dynamo is switched on and more fuel is used. Although the extra consumption is the same per car, the relative differences are large. A fuel efficient car using 6.7 litres per 100 km (1:15) with DRL has an extra consumption of 3%, a 10 litres per 100 km (1:10) car uses 2% more, and a lorry of 33 litres per 100 km uses 1% more (ETSC, 2003). A larger fuel consumption causes a greater emission of harmful materials that produce air pollution. The CO2 emissions of car traffic increase by 0.6-1.4% (Elvik et al., 2003). Saving fuel and reducing CO2 emissions can be achieved by using special DRL lamps. Instead of 2x55W lamps for the dipped lights 2x21W can be used (a reduction of 62%). LED lamps of only a few Watts lead to an even higher reduction. In addition automatic switches can turn off unnecessary lighting (e.g. the rear lights).
    Another disadvantage of DRL is that headlamps burn out more often, because they are switched on longer. This problem is small if LED lamps are used. Batteries can also run down if one forgets to turn the lights off. This can be solved by mounting a bleeper or an automatic DRL switch (after turning off the engine the dipped lights go out). Both can be installed in existing cars (Schoon, 1991).
    There is also the matter of whether blinding occurs. Blinding has been researched extensively (Koornstra et al., 1997; Hagenzieker, 1990). The degrees of blinding vary from a nuisance to complete blinding. DRL can cause daytime blinding (especially nuisance) when the light intensity of the dipped light is too high and the surrounding lighting is at a relatively low level (also at sunset). The too intense dipped lights are due to incorrect adjustment. In fact this is not a DRL problem; the blinding is more severe at night time. Nowadays dipped lights are quite well adjusted because of the MOT and built-in systems that ensure an automatic adjustment of headlights. Blinding does not occur with lamps that have been specially developed for DRL purposes."

http://johndayautomotivelectronics.com/?p=719

"LED daytime running lights reduce fuel consumption by approx 0.2 liter/100 km, compared to a headlamp low beam. Using LED technology is ideal for providing the extended use demanded of daytime running lights because LED lamps, unlike halogen, offer a working life equal to that of the vehicle itself."

0.2l/100km is not to be sniffed at unless you drive a gas guzzler anyway.

Do you get the cornering lights (1 foglight comes on depending on the angle of the wheel) Had them on a new model Ibiza and they were actually pretty useful

Also, I hope you ordered curtain airbags on it too if you're going down the route of a special order

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Vanity lights. No useful purpose. They're for the gombeens who think it's cool to have f** lights on, so they don't need to have them on.
    http://www.swov.nl/rapport/Factsheets/UK/FS_DRL.pdf

nipplenuts wrote: »

I get ya, but there are fog lights on the car too. Double whammy lol

Do you get the cornering lights (1 foglight comes on depending on the angle of the wheel) Had them on a new model Ibiza and they were actually pretty useful
    No cornering lights on Octavia I am getting. Too expensive to add-on. I am hoping that daylight running lights will be a cheap add on. Cost could rule it out for me though.
    Yeah got the curtain airbags. Also ESP. Long commute every day, and after the last months experienses on the roads, think it would be worth it.

Im a full supporter of DRL's and I dont think anyone is disagreeing with their aim but I think it just looks like in the picture that they are too dim to be of any use. Maybe in real life which is the only place to judge it they are as bright as their Audi counterparts.

• Advertisement

There seems to be 2 options available:

Front lights with Corner function (with Day light system, incl. day time running lights)

Day time driving lights

Which one are you getting and I wonder if there's a difference between DRL and day time driving lights?

Which one are you getting and I wonder if there's a difference between DRL and day time driving lights?

Ive seen Audis with two different types of what I would call DRLS.

One are the sharp bright white LED's and the other seems to be a set of regular bulbs, but still bright. Could that be it?

0.2l/100km is not to be sniffed at unless you drive a gas guzzler anyway.

By my calculations, if you're doing 16,000KMs per annum, you're saving 32l per annum, or €40ish per annum.

Over 3 years of ownership, that's €120. Build in the cost of the extra bulbs required due to the lights being on more often and you're probably talking of a saving of less than €150 over the course of 3 years of driving.

How much is the Light Assistant?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think DRLs are to be standard on every new car sold from next year under EU directive. Alot of new models have them already as standard, I guess Skoda haven't bothered with the facelifted Octavia.

Day time driving lights on their own (hopefully).
    I am not sure if you can get the cornering function with going for the xenons which are 600 sterling so can imagine what they charge here.
    I know they also have "Light Assist" which has coming home, going out etc functions. Not bothered with all that though.

I agree that on the pic they don't look the brightest, and agree that real life is the only way to judge. Perhaps they would look gammy where they are situated.

they look like an ebay/Halfords job to be honest.

I agree that on the pic they don't look the brightest, and agree that real life is the only way to judge. Perhaps they would look gammy where they are situated.

I dont think they look gammy at all, although its your opinion that really matters. having said that Ill still give you mine haha.

I think its a good looking car all round and the DRL's dont detract from it. It would just be down to the brightness for me.

-Chris- wrote: »
    How much is the Light Assistant?

In UK its 55 sterling for coming home and tunnel version of light assistant. I am hoping that because DRL's need little added technology (i.e. have them on unless the main lights are on) they will be somewhat cheaper. Won't know until I ring tomorrow though. I'll let ye all know.

bbk wrote: »
    having said that Ill still give you mine haha.
    Why we all love boards :)

• Advertisement

they look like an ebay/Halfords job to be honest.

+1

I think Skoda should have integrated them into the headlamp units.

Advertisement