Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Im in the dock tomorrow.......

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

20 kmph isn't much over the limit but with the previous points it looks grim.

Thanks Anan, I couldn't make out that post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

Magnus wrote: »
    20 kmph isn't much over the limit but with the previous point it looks grim.
    Your right !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The OP told us the others were bogus summons and they were covered. He shouldn't need a solicitor for those.

Now if the OP was actually lying and hasn't got their affairs in order then yes, I would suggest a solicitor.

Yeah right, have you ever seen somebody dressed like a scummer get off on a Judge's discretion? I haven't...
    true..insurance offences for scummers are a lot more serious so best to distinguish yourself as a law abiding person who made a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Magnus wrote: »
    20 kmph isn't much over the limit but with the previous points it looks grim.

Thanks Anan, I couldn't make out that post above.
    20 kmh over the limit is a lot considering the garda use a 10% tolerance. Did you not learn to play nice after your 6 points? What are they for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

kwalshe wrote: »
    20 kmh over the limit is a lot considering the garda use a 10% tolerance. Did you not learn to play nice after your 6 points? What are they for
    Doing 85km in a 70 on glenamuck road carraigmines at 10pm..2 points...undue care...2 points...phone ...2 points... All in the space of 1 year driving in dublin...been driving for a living 22 years. had clean licence till i started working in dublin a year ago..if i get convicted tomorrow thats me back to the sticks till those points are gone....maybe i just need time out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

kwalshe wrote: »

20km/h over a 50km/h limit is definitely large when the speeding amount is viewed as a percentage of the limit and 70km/h in a place like the Port Tunnel isn't anywhere near as dangerous as 70km/h in a housing estate. Still though, it was above the 10% tolerance as you say but keep in mind that 10% is only there because your speedometer isn't the same as the gun and both will have different readings - not to give you leeway into speeding "within the law" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Doing 85km in a 70 on glenamuck road carraigmines at 10pm..2 points...undue care...2 points...phone ...2 points... All in the space of 1 year driving in dublin...been driving for a living 22 years. had clean licence till i started working in dublin a year ago..if i get convicted tomorrow thats me back to the sticks till those points are gone....maybe i just need time out

judge prob won't look too favourably on that... 6 points in a year and now your current situation. and as said above, 20kmph might not seem like a lot, but driving at 70 in a 50 zone is almost 30% over the limit. i reckon you'll be lucky to get off lightly mate, but good luck. whatever happens, learn a lesson from it for your own sake.

EDIT:
    Doing 85km in a 70 on glenamuck road carraigmines at 10pm..2 points

a 70kmph zone? never knew there was such thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

The OP told us the others were bogus summons and they were covered. He shouldn't need a solicitor for those.

Now if the OP was actually lying and hasn't got their affairs in order then yes, I would suggest a solicitor.

Yeah right, have you ever seen somebody dressed like a scummer get off on a Judge's discretion? I haven't...

Yes I have! I saw 7 in tracksuits walk out with warning the day I was in court.

Guy in suit wasnt so lucky, they must of thought he could afford a big fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

I didn't bother with a solicitor, if all your papers are in order the insurance should not be an issue.I would recommend learning the lingo as it pisses off judges when you have no legal aid and you cannot deal with what's happening. It's a bit daunting being asked "what do yu plead?"......you will have to plead guilty for the speeding but not for everthing else. Make sure you stress you did produce your documents at the time.

Get a solicitor, watch the other cases and choose a solicitor who is confident and speaks clearly, ask him to represent you. You need a solicitor because you have to be cross examined under oath. Under oath tell the judge that you didn't receive the fines, just the summons. If he accepts that then there's a good chance he'll strike them out because your due process has been compromised.

I've said this on here several times before, the odds are in your favour, that your case will be struck out for any one of several reasons, if you go to court rather than simply paying fines and accepting points. This has been my policy for all the years I've been driving, and I am points free.

And one benefit of "the current economic climate" is the reduction of overtime for gardai, this means that there is a reasonable chance that the prosecuting garda may not be able to turn up for a court appearance. Not a lot of people are aware of that... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

what speed were you driving at, and was it busy at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

how did you get on OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Doing 85km in a 70 on glenamuck road carraigmines at 10pm..2 points...undue care...2 points...phone ...2 points...
    I can never understand why people who drive for a living do not have a hands free kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

oldyouth wrote: »
    I can never understand why people who drive for a living do not have a hands free kit.

...indeed....but you won't find one in a GTC car, either......so figure that out: Do As I Say, Not Do As I Do......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...indeed....but you won't find one in a GTC car, either......so figure that out: Do As I Say, Not Do As I Do......

That is so true, often see the guards on the phone while driving, course they need them for their job and are above the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

That is so true, often see the guards on the phone while driving, course they need them for their job and are above the law.

thats not the point, they aren't above the law and stupidly their cars aren't supplied with them... they also have to chase muppets all day yet get no actual driving training bar personal experience ( which is a steep learning curve )

On topic: op was caught red handed, take what you get and move on...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Its in the irish statute book that ANY calls from/to a garda using a mobile phone is exempt from the points.

This includes any member of the public ringing a garda station from their mobile phone when still driving to report eg stupid/dangerous driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Sorry, perhaps I am slow. On the interweb super highway thingy, I got a wireless handsfree for €30. Did I do something wrong????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Gardai are not the lawmakers.

70kph is 40% over a 50kph limit (20 is 40% of 50) so it's pretty serious speeding. The OP should bring legal support and be prepared to lose his license. I wonder how he got on......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The Gardai are not the lawmakers.

I know, I'm not saying they are. From a practical point of view, irrespective of any exception they (shouldn't, but that's story.........) enjoy, then they should give leadership by practicing what is only common sense: no phones whilst driving.
    I wonder how he got on......

+1 on that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Scania580

Hi everyone,went to court on thursday last , got 325 euro fine and 4 points.other charges were struck out. i explaned to judge that i never recieved fixed penalty but he just ignored me and kept asking me,,are you guilty or not guilty.He let a guy before me off a mobile phone charge when he told the same story... i feel very hard done by and am appealing it...im fortuneteller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Scania580 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,went to court on thursday last , got 325 euro fine and 4 points.other charges were struck out. i explaned to judge that i never recieved fixed penalty but he just ignored me and kept asking me,,are you guilty or not guilty.He let a guy before me off a mobile phone charge when he told the same story... i feel very hard done by and am appealing it...im fortuneteller.

Dont appeal it, Id say take it on the chin, you wont get anywhere appealing.
    Its a pain but they do not like appeals, pay the fine, take the points and take it handy in the car.

I know that sounds harsh but I dont think youl get anywhere appealing.

Ps the fine wasnt too bad at all. You were speeding and the fine was on the low end of what they give for that and the 4 points was always goina happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Scania580 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing, we don't see many court stories round here thanks to the pitch-fork wielding locals.

I'd also say leave this one be, there's a time to fight and make a nuisance of yourself and there's a time to draw a line under it. An appeal does not guarantee anything.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

So do ya loose your licence for 10 points or is it 12. If you still have your licence id say just leave things be. Points only last 3 years so you only have to be on best behaviour for another 2 then your first 6 are gone.

BTW thanks for sharing its been a facinating thread and good to see most on here are helpfull posters....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Savman wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing, we don't see many court stories round here thanks to the pitch-fork wielding locals.

I'd also say leave this one be, there's a time to fight and make a nuisance of yourself and there's a time to draw a line under it. An appeal does not guarantee anything.
    On appeal you will get a different judge, so there will be a different attitude. Worth asking around who that is likely to be and what they are like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

So do ya loose your licence for 10 points or is it 12. If you still have your licence id say just leave things be. Points only last 3 years so you only have to be on best behaviour for another 2 then your first 6 are gone.

BTW thanks for sharing its been a facinating thread and good to see most on here are helpfull posters....
    12 points and you lose it i had 10 and now down to nothing since xmas. It will train you to be a good boy:):)

Advertisement