Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's day parades

Options
  • 20-01-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

It might be a bit early but are any clubs/sites/shops/teams planning on having a float in any parades this year.
    This could be used to promote airsoft in Ireland but would of course need to be cleared with parade organizers and the local garda.
    The sport could be promoted in several ways without actually having AEG's on the float.You could have banners and people in camo handing out flyers and info packs.There ars lots of ways to use this for the good of our sport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Personally speaking, I don't think this country is ready for airsoft floats. I really don't. Part of our problem(s) in the past have been down to the game growing faster than it could perhaps cope out of its infancy (which we are still in really) in a variety of ways. I think that airsoft floats in a parade would get the community in the papers (again) for all the wrong reasons which is a crying shame given the sterling work achieved in the last while with some journalists & their media outlets.

This is all "in my opinion".

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

I feel that this could be a way to get to a larger public and show/educate them that we are just ordinary people who just happen to have chosen airsoft as our prefered sport.With salute or open days , we only get to preach to people who are already partially informed about airsoft but with this we we could get to new players and parents of younger new players and show them the true face of airsoft in Ireland.Meeting players in the flesh as they walk along beside their float handing out information and having a quick chat could do more good than any newspaper report or information gleened from the web or forums.It would not take much work to show the personal good humored side of our sport to a huge captive audience.
    Again this is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

In a way, I agree with you OP, but I'm more in agreement with Lemming on this issue.

I'd prefer more subtle ways of influencing public opinion, like the charity days.

We need to tread very carefully, as Lemming pointed out we are still a new sport, because of the reactionary nature of some people when items of a nature such as airsoft is mentioned, and the sensational elements of the media.

Consider the following:
    Reaction -> Sensational story -> Another Liveline spectacular -> Hassle for the IAA and the community.

Going full blown into an airsoft float at a St. Patrick's Day parade would be far into the future.

I do see where ye are coming from and do not mean to suggest a huge crowd of people on a float complete with AEG's and masks as this would do our sport NO good but a more subtle aproche i.e. no AEG's and faces fully visible smiling handing out flyers and sweets , maybe a few water pistols could be something that could work.I do agree that there is a very fine line between shying back because the public is not ready , and missing a possible opertunity to do some good for our sport.I feel that it is worth the gamble to be proactive and go out there and create our own good publicity rather than wait and react when we recive bad publicity.This is NOT a dig at IAA as I think that they do and have done great work for our sport.This is only my opinion and the purpose of this thread is to get feedback and other peoples opinions.There are limited places that we can advertise our sport ,salute , Duncannon , and I think that the more the public sees us the sooner they become used to and accustomed to us , thus accepting us as a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Any publicity for any niche activity has to be carefully considered, not based on the good it can do, but rather the bad things it can achieve. There's much to consider...even by choice of camo you could be seen to endorse certain ideals.

We come from quite a militant background (Ireland) so the people have different reactions to it. I'd say Lemming siad it best...Airsoft is too young in Ireland, and needs to mature with enough of a community to guide the new-guns (couldn't resist the pun), that way it can deal with the influx.

PS: I've seen it before with other activities...large influx = dilution of values/ethics, and big problems with public perception due to this dilution

• Advertisement

Having been at the IAA AGM and hearing that "airsoft is here to stay" and so , legally safe , I feel that we are , maybe ,too afraid of bad publicity to try and make some good publicity.I do not mean this from an IAA point of view , but from an every player in the country point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

se conman wrote: »
    Having been at the IAA AGM and hearing that "airsoft is here to stay" and so , legally safe , I feel that we are , maybe ,too afraid of bad publicity to try and make some good publicity.

Consider the source tbh, if that politician had enough constituents bending his ear about the evil of airsoft and his votes were threatened he'd knife airsoft in the back without blinking an eye..care always has to be taken with a fringe sport, look at shooting, well established but still on a knife edge.

I can understand what you mean about it being a laid back affair with no guns or anything, but the people who will see it and still have a problem will be the ones who will be shouting louder about it on Liveline etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Having been at the IAA AGM and hearing that "airsoft is here to stay" and so , legally safe , I feel that we are , maybe ,too afraid of bad publicity to try and make some good publicity.I do not mean this from an IAA point of view , but from an every player in the country point of view.

We're forgetting, however, that aside from any ability to eloquently speak on behalf of our sport 1:1, most airsofters in Ireland are dangerous-looking headbangers.

It's about first impressions, and most of the time you're going to speak to maybe 100 of the thousands of people at a parade on the day. The rest just have what you look like to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

To expand on what Gerrowadat was saying, this is why you see models on tops of floats publicising products/sports/clubs and cutesy children etc...because it's less offensive and gains support.

Are you saying I'm too ugly to be on a float? LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Are you saying I'm too ugly to be on a float? LOL

dontworry-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Rogue, I'm convinced that all you're on here for is to post silly pictures:P

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Rogue, I'm convinced that all you're on here for is to post silly pictures:P

fatherjack.jpeg

Back on topic though, OP I think this is a really bad idea. Airsoft is all about the guns - what's the point in putting an airsoft float in a parade with water pistols? It stops being an airsoft float at that point and becomes a water pistol float so that kills that idea.
    In 2007, airsoft had a 'presence' at the Toys For Big Boys Show in the RDS. You'd think it would have gone down really well in that setting but it didn't. So much so that it was banned the following year from the show and only made an appearance last year but was heavily restricted. There is a very good reason that our only public outings are at the likes of Duncannon & Salute. How do you think it will be perceived at the biggest annual family event in the country? Joe public is not ready for a truck load of mad looking fcukers with guns on O'Connell Street - we'd never hear the end of it and HRH Joe Duffy would only be the tip of the iceberg!

I was unaware that the only parade was in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

As far as ideas go... this is on a par with; 'Chocolate Fireguard', 'waterproof teabag' and 'the X factor'.... Darwin will naturally suceed. Mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,429 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Bad idea I think...better off having a charity day or something and invite media and a politician along..they'd love it for the positive exposure etc..
    Would be no harm to reassure them we'll all normal people who enjoy a good harmless sport etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Berkut wrote: »
    Bad idea I think...better off having a charity day or something and invite media and a politician along..they'd love it for the positive exposure etc..
    Would be no harm to reassure them we'll all normal people who enjoy a good harmless sport etc..
    I'm not...

I was unaware that the only parade was in Dublin.

I was using O'Connell Street as an example. I am well aware of the extent of the St. Patrick's Day festivities, countrywide and globally, having worked with the festival in a professsional capacity over the last 12 years.
    There are limited places that we can advertise our sport ,salute , Duncannon , and I think that the more the public sees us the sooner they become used to and accustomed to us , thus accepting us as a sport.

There are limited places to advertise our sport because it has a limited appeal. This is not soccer. We run around with very realistic guns dressed in what is percieved by some (most?) as very intimidating attire.

'The public' don't need to 'accept' airsoft as a sport. It already is a sport in this country according to the Federation Of Irish Sports.

OP, if you are really enthusiastic about participating in your lacal parade I would suggest joining a marching band. Have you ever heard a Joe Duffy special on marching bands scaring people and corrupting our youth?!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Unfortunately I have to agree that this is a bad idea. Imagine, a float full of guys in camo. From 50 meters, the airsoft "float" would be indistinguishable from a paramilitary parade.

The long and short of it is that airsofters play at war (emphasis on play) and many people don't like that, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I remember a Paddy's day parade in Clonmel a few years back where a Paintball site took part. Guys were dressed head to toe in Brit DPM, 58 webbing and carrying markers( Licenced firearms) handing out flyers and followed by a black Landy 110. Caused major interest from joe public but not the bad type. They were asked about the site, the kit, who can play etc. I have a pic of one of them somewhere, I'll try to dig it up.

Now the biggy of course is the visual differance between a paintball marker, and an AEG... Its all about perception really isn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

absolutely no way
    seriously anyone planning approaching parade organisers around the country
    dont ,
    Think for a min people parading down o connell st in full battle dress and carrying aegs and gbbs add a tricolor or two and watch how certain politcal groups( we all know which ones) using the pictures for proaganda and yes i can hear the ahh that wont happen just being paronoid ,explain to the doj why somegob****e turned up in black camo balaclava and carrying an ak aeg because its his load out,

Theres promoting the sport the right way and then there the wrong way

using parades to promote clubs or sites is just wrong

Duncannon and salute are totaly different there organised military shows and there something were proud to be part of ,
    ask why none of the military groups take part in parades

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Gatling wrote: »
    Duncannon and salute are totaly different there organised military shows and there something were proud to be part of ,

and from what i hear , duncannon will be undergoing serious changes this year with regard to publically viewable RIFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Gatling wrote: »

It's all down to our Countries turbulent history boys n' girls. The pain of the past is still too close for the comforts of the general public.

I put this out as a suggestion and , clearly , everyone thinks that it is a bad suggestion and most gave good reasons for their opinions.I have no problem with being wrong but why do we always have some posters who feel the need to talk down rather than give reasons for their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Really think this is the last thing that Airsoft needs.

Even if there was overwhelming evidence to suggest that the feedback would be positive, I still think that a bunch of toy soldier parading their replica guns is a disasterous idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

OP it was a good suggestion! The country and General Public are just not ready for an Airsoft in your face parade unfortunately.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Seriously, guys, we've a million other things to do than setting airsoft back three years. At least.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Firekitten wrote: »
    As far as ideas go... this is on a par with; 'Chocolate Fireguard', 'waterproof teabag' and 'the X factor'.... Darwin will naturally suceed. Mark my words.

haha, I wouldn't slate the op, he is trying and it was a decent suggestion.

I do think the time will come when spotlight on the sport will be positive and we wont be afraid to go and show our stuff. But we need to take baby steps.

A niche " nerdy" sport or whatever you want to call it, doesn't feature on sky sports and get advertisement on the telly.

When was the last time you say on the telly

" Always wanted to strike your boss down with a furious lightning bolt, packed with hatred for that unpaid overtime, try live larping!"

I think we are doing fine for now, we dont need anymore players, its hard enough as it is getting the current crowd to follow the rules 100% of the time, so another mass influx like last year would make things only worse imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

TheDoc wrote: »

I think we are doing fine for now, we dont need anymore players, its hard enough as it is getting the current crowd to follow the rules 100% of the time, so another mass influx like last year would make things only worse imo.

Huh ? Sorry Doc, but thats bollocks.

There arent enough players in this country to support 4 or 5 retailers, never mind the 15 or so that exist now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement