Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best route Dublin to Killarney?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

AldilaMan wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I'm just wondering have things improved since lasT January going via the M7. I was originally thinking of going via the M8 Fermoy etc but have been put off that route. Going as far as cork seems a bit far to switch back to Killarney. Any thoughts ?

Fermoy to Mallow is every bit as bad as Mitchelstown to Mallow and makes for a longer route as you have to travel further down the M8 to get to Fermoy and there's little difference in the distance between Mitchelstown or Fermoy and Mallow.

The M7 via Limerick probably edges it with the Castleisland bypass open but time of day is still everything.

166man wrote: »
    Mods probably won't like this but anyway!

Drove from Killarney to Dublin over the summer. Went Killarney-Farranfore-bypass Castleisland-Abbeyfeale-Newcastle West and on into Adare. After Adare I joined the motorway and from there motorway to Dublin. Took about 4.5 hours all in.

Was there pitstops / tailbacks / jams en route? I ask because Dublin - Limerick is usually a comfortable 2 hour journey these days, an extra 2.5 hours to Killarney seems a bit extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I did Farranfore to Banteer and on to Dublin Saturday morning. 45 mins to Banteer, the Mallow-Mitchelstown roads been resurfaced and is a lot better. I was in a hurry and did Banteer up in 2.5 hours but say 3 normally. That's 3.75 hours.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If anyone is coming through cork city to get to killarney be aware that there are road works on the south link (constructing 2 flyovers)there will be delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Was there pitstops / tailbacks / jams en route? I ask because Dublin - Limerick is usually a comfortable 2 hour journey these days, an extra 2.5 hours to Killarney seems a bit extreme.

Got held up badly coming into Adare and in Killorglin but other than that and a fuel stop it was about 4.5hours.

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    Got held up badly coming into Adare and in Killorglin but other than that and a fuel stop it was about 4.5hours.

Killorglin is way off track for a trip between Killarney and Dublin. That explains a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Killorglin is way off track for a trip between Killarney and Dublin. That explains a lot.

yeah sorry I went from Killarney to Killorglin and then through milltown Firies and so on. Have gone straight from Killarney before to Faranfore and it was quicker alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SandiC

I'm working in Dublin and often travel home to Killarney.
    I always go Dublin to Limerick, Adare, Newcastle West, Abbeyfeale, Castleisland, Farranfore, Killarney.
    New bypass in Castleisland is brilliant. Usually very heavy delays on both sides of Adare during rush hr. Putting up traffic lights or something outside the filling station of the Abbeyfeale side of Newcastle also and was very delayed there last weekend. Journey from Dublin usually takes 3.5 to 4 hrs

Safe driving :)

Advertisement