Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Following Mr. Fink to Copenhagen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 johanandbex

Yep I'm also using the 4:1 and the iso gels now as well as the bars.
    Keep up the good work and have a great race!
    Johan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

WEEK 28 (W/E 25/07)

Ok, this was supposed to be the last week of peak training but work and family commitments made things a bit complicated - but I was still able to get the key long sessions in.

Monday and Tuesday were a write off due to work.

Wednesday - relaxed swim at lunchtime, 2x800m - not sure what the point of this was but anyway... In the pm, 1 hour 15 turbo, 45 mins run

Thursday - One hour run z2, then some OW swimming at Bull wall with club, probably no more than 1500 m but lots of good sighting practice around a triangular course of very small red buoys

Friday - because I knew I had to be away for the weekend - I took a day's leave on Friday to do my long bike - 6 hours, out the usual routes around Trim, Kilcock, and as far as Maynooth then just turned around and went back the way I came, one or two points were a bit sapping but basically ok. Ran for one hour afterwards.

Sunday - did not get back until Sunday evening and had just time to do one hour on the turbo with 5x(5 mins z4, 2 mins easy) - really heavy weather, sweat everywhere

Monday - Ok this is cheating, but extended week into Monday to do my long run in the evening in the Phoenix Park , 3 hours, roughly 21 miles, longest ever run in training, ran in large loops from my car to get drinks in and took a gel before the last loop which might have helped. Very happy to have got this done.

Totals
    Run 5 :45, Swim 1:40 Bike 8:15

Thoughts -
    nowhere near the type of time I should be doing at this point but that could not be helped. The main thing for me is that I got the two long sessions in, which represent the two 'peak' sessions in old Mr. Fink's plan. To tell the truth, lots of Mr. Fink's plan has gone out the window at this stage, especially the z4 sessions.

For the last three weeks I will try to follow him a bit better and also I want to make sure to get some proper swimming, especially open water in. I have neglected my swimming on the basis that for the sake of a few minutes it makes more sense to work on my weaker bike and run

Other than that the hardest sessions are now done and it is just a question of keeping it together until the big day. One of the 'gurus' - Gordo Byrn I think, talks about the idea that preparing for this is like turning a Styrofoam cup inside out, if you take it carefully and slowly you can do it without tearing the cup ( in this dodgy analogy, you are the cup). That is what I am banking on at the moment. With only a few exceptions, most the training has been pretty steady and my fitness has built up gradually but consistently. There had not been as much (melo)drama as I expected so maybe that is all to come on the day itself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Great work MD and congrats on getting through the longest sessions in one piece. I did my long brick on Saturday and my long run yesterday as well and have to say that trying to stay focused for 6+ hours on the N11 nearly killed me (mainly the concentration part)! :pac:

You've a ton of training in the bank now so enjoy the taper!

IE

WEEK 29 (W/E 2/08)

First week of taper - the theory seems to be to take down the voulme but maintain quality and intensity - not sure i managed that really.

Tuesday - didnt run because i had done the last 3hr run the day before
    Swim - really good set - 400 wup, 16x25 wup, 5x100 off 1:35 !! :eek:50 easy, 5x100 off 2:00 sprinting, 50 easy, 5x100 25 fast, 25 slow etc, 8x25 off 40 sec no breaths. I was swimming really well in this set, holding good times

Wed - 1 hour turbo, 45 mins run - quite brisk run

Thursday - swim with the club, 500 wup, 4x50 drills, 3x100, 3x200, 2x300,3x200, 2x100, finished with some sprints

Friday - 2 hour easy run, very humid , sweat, sweat, sweat

Saturday - met up with one of the other Copenhageners, plan was to cycle out to skerries and then back to bull wall for swim, weather and traffic were total crap, did 3.5 hours, ditched the swim

Sunday - took it off, my back was sore from being tense on the bike in the rain and traffic

Monday - 1.5 hour cycle up and over howth into the village and then back over to sutton.
    In the eveninng went for open water swim with the club in Seapoint, good sighting session, one of the 'real' open water swims was on so felt a bit of a wuss for swimming in the wetsuit:rolleyes: very happy that my sighting is getting better

Totals swim 3:00, bike 6:00, run 2:45

Thoughts not sure about this taper lark, it is a bit demotivating at this point to think that there really is no more improvement that can be achieved within the time left. Just need to focus on trying to get some good rest and sleep over the next week and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thats the thing about taper. After doing some of the sessions you have been putting in over the peak build phase, the reduced volume sessions don't take as much out of you. Feeling like you have more in the tank, or you could have done it harder or longer is exactly how you should be feeling. Take it easy for the next week, sleep loads and finish every session wanting more! I'm sure there was a time when a 12 hour week would have been quite satisfying in its own right :)

• Advertisement

Hi MD, I am with you on this taper stuff. Not a fan of it so far and I also feel a little gutted that this is as good as its going to get for CCopenhagen! I guess you need to look back and remember where you started off and see how much u have gained! When you cross the line it will all feel better...well after a few days mayne anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

The hard work is done. Stick to the plan, and you will be in great shape!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jamesd77

Well well nearly there. Just read your entire blog, it makes a good read. Your flyin, sounds like you have all the hard work done, time to fly over and collect your medal.

I'm thinking of bitting the bullet and going long next year. Any advice you can give me and what you have learned, much appreciated and good luck, i'll be watching the live times.

Hunger

Week 30

Last real week of training.

Tuesday - 45 mins run, 2x6 mins z4 after 10 minutes. Swim - 300 wup, 16x25m wup, 5x150 off 2:30, 50 easy, 5x100 off 1:35, 50 easy, 8x50m off 50 sec, 8x25 m off 40 sec IM order

Wed - mini brick - the last of the bloody mini bricks, 45 mins bike, 15 mins run

Thursday - 45 mins run, 7 mins z4 after 30 mins, Swim with club, 400 wup, 5 sets of 4x100 with times on 1:50, 1:45, 1:40, 1:35, 100 easy, 2x25 m spint

Friday - nothing - went to the pub:)

Saturday - 2 hours on the bike - two full laps of sutton to the village over the summit and back. 30 mins run

Sunday - open water swim at bull wall, maybe 30 mins, one hour run after

Totals swim 2:40, run 3:15, bike 2:45

Thoughts

That is it basically it. I will have very little time during this final week and will just get the odd session in here and there before travelling on Thursday.

I am slightly concerned that I have overdone the taper - it feels like a long time since I have done any serious distance but it is in there somewhere and hopefully will come back to help me on the day. Looking back i reckon i have done maybe 90-95% of the Fink plan. The totals come to approx. 1300k running, 4400k on the bike and 180k swimming, which should be enough.....

The weather is looking a bit unstable in Copenhagen, very wet yesterday so wet bike gear will now have to be factored in as well

jamesd77 wrote: »

I'm thinking of bitting the bullet and going long next year. Any advice you can give me and what you have learned, much appreciated and good luck, i'll be watching the live times.

Hunger

thanks Hunger, i will hold off on the advice until it is behind me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

metal dog wrote: »
    Looking back i reckon i have done maybe 90-95% of the Fink plan. The totals come to approx. 1300k running, 4400k on the bike and 180k swimming, which should be enough.....
    [/FONT]

You should enter the ART challenge, those distances would have you leading it. So I reckon you have done plenty ;)

180k swimming, which should be enough.....

thats a lot of swimming! damn, what race number are you? if you see 1415 drafting you in the swim then thats me !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

I know what you mean about feeling like you've over done the taper. I;'m feeling the same but reckon that DF must know what he's up to! (wise man that he is)

Cracking training stats btw.

See you in Copenhagen dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

You've got more training done than any other IM logger that I can see so dont be worried. One piece of advice, you only do your first IM once. Relax and enjoy it, the day will pass quicker than you think. Good luck and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Metal dog, after all that training you've turned to steel. You have the hours done, a few more and you'll be an ironman. All the very best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

As the others have said - keep the faith. Just look at the awesome mileage you have clocked in all 3 disciplines. The hard work is done. Go and enjoy the race. No bother to you. All the best! Looking forward to the report.

Thats it - race week.

very little training this week - lots of running around with logisitics, including massage, geting a new bottom bracket, chain, and lots of fun trying to get my pedals off, two quick jogs, a little turbo and a swim . i feel like i have lots of niggles but they will pass i hope

off to copenhagen this afternoon

thanks for the support and advice along the way.. just got to do and do it now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

best of luck metal dog .... I hope you enjoy the day (as much as you can anyway!!)

IE best of luck as well

all of yer hard work will no doubt have paid off

Done and done. 11:13:40 (1:00, 5:46, 4:16). Good course and good conditions. Very relieved :) Full report when i get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Done and done. 11:13:40 (1:00, 5:46, 4:16). Good course and good conditions. Very relieved :) Full report when i get back.

Congrats chief. Never had a doubt and some fantastic splits all the way throughout the course from you. Id say you and the rest of the team travelling have a well earned meal/drink or two planned before the flight home. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Great stuff - well done - great time as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done MD, nice splits too especially the swim. Thats a nice IM time and credit to you and all the hard work. Looking forward to the report. Really liking the IM reports on boards this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Great time, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great time and splits!
    Looks like it might be one to consider for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Excellent time. V well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Savage performance. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

Brilliant result overall and some fantastic splits. Well done.

well done on Sunday. Great splits and a great result. Hope you enjoyed it. Weather was a real wildcard so I think we all did well!

well done on Sunday. Great splits and a great result. Hope you enjoyed it. Weather was a real wildcard so I think we all did well!
    well done yourself - great result. we really enjoyed the welcome and the race in Copenhagen:)

• Advertisement

What swim wave were you in?

Advertisement