Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFC Championship game: VIKINGS vs SAINTS

Options
  • 18-01-2010 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭

New-Orleans-Saints-Logo.gif

Minnesota-Vikings-Logo.gif

5000 yards in 1 season
    drew-brees-6.jpg

70000+ Career Yards
    viking-favre.jpg
    There are great stories on both sides. Brees the man who was thrown aside by the Chargers who preferred Rivers. The man who went where not many wanted to go after the disaster in New Orleans. The man many believe to be the best Quarterback in the game right now.
    Brett Favre, the legend, the automatic first ballot hall of famer who didn't think he was finished when most people said he was a fool to come back. The man is 40 years old and looks like a young lad, and is throwing better than ever in his career.
    Minnesota has gone Favre crazy, the man who was the most hated man in Viking land for many years is now the undisputed king of the Mall of America Field. Some people are even saying that its destiny, that when the Vikings logo was created it was a futurustic creation and that the picture is of the man that would lead them to the promised, they now believe that their logo bears a huge resemblence to Brett Favre and to be fair it does seem to.

Its going to be a cracker for sure, the much vaunted Saints Offensive line faces the Vikings Defensive line which obliterated the Giants this weekend. Brees has had no problem finding his targets all season in what is a committee of receivers rather than the traditional ranked receiving corp that we are used to seeing. They also possess a running game that has been powerful when needed this year, and that home run threat of Reggie Bush just to add another weapon that to an already incredible offense. On defense they have suffered a lot of injuries but it didn't lower their performance, an incredible feat considering some of the replacements were on the street and had not played this season.
    Favre has been sacked but he hasn't been making the big mistakes, he has found his goto guy in Sidney Rice, they really seem to be in sync with one another. Adrian Peterson, the best running back in the league is almost becoming an afterthought due to the success of Favre. Percy Harvin brings to this team what Reggie Bush does to New Orleans.
    On D Allen and Edwards will test the Saints tackles like never before.

I personally believe it all comes down to that battle on the line between the Saints Offensive line and the Vikings Defensive line. If the Vikings line needs help then they are in trouble, but if they can get to Favre without bring five or six men then this game will be very close. I'm really looking forward to it, I'm finding it hard to pick who I want to win, I'd love to see Favre go all the way but for the people of New Orleans this would be some tonic after all their troubles. I'll pick the Saints to win it and I'm shouting for them to go all the way too.

Who are you shouting for in the NFC Championshop game 56 votes

Vikings
    0%
    Saints
    46%
    FenixSeiferPherekydesJuan PabloInquitusdavetheravecopacetic[Deleted User]antordavyjosetallaghtoutlawscambridge7damozcurry-muffTheShinSproutshelimachoptorIwasfrozengandroidMax Power1 26 votes
    Russian Roulette with a gun
    53%
    de5p0i1erDodgeraven136mikemacevil_seedadrian522LirangeBlack SwanPeyton ManningFrisbeeDr.SlurmNeal_BheyjudeSea DevilsRichTeaMr Trade Ineagle eyeeoinkildareEire-Deargdonmeister 30 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

cant pick right now

i am a huge Brees fan, but i would like to see the old man go to the big show also :(

just hope its a great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Saints
    kryogen wrote: »
    cant pick right now

i am a huge Brees fan, but i would like to see the old man go to the big show also :(

just hope its a great game

Same I want to see Farve go out at the top (if he does retire)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

eagle eye wrote: »
    . Some people are even saying that its destiny, that when the Vikings logo was created it was a futurustic creation and that the picture is of the man that would lead them to the promised, they now believe that their logo bears a huge resemblence to Brett Favre and to be fair it does seem to.

lol wat?

Anyway, I think home advantage is a huge deal here. The Vikings away record is very questionable. New Orleans have been formidable at home the last 2 seasons and with good reason. The crowd were absolutely deafening last night and I think it will count.

Either way I think it's the most exciting NFC championship game in years. I can't wait. It's also fitting that it follows the Jets Colts game which is the warm-up game in every respect imo. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Saints
    I have a strong feeling for Minnesota. Not on the basis of the Dallas game, but just on experience. They have a couple of solid years behind them, NO have come from nowhere this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Saints
    Vikings for me, every since i was a youngster and stayed up to watch Beverly Hills 90210 I've liked the Vikings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Saints
    Vikings for me too. Brees will have more oppertunities to get a ring, I want this to be Favre's year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Saints, cant stand Farve. Attention seeking tosser tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Vikings form on the road has been bad and Brees will handle the pocket a lot better than Romo. Not to mention it is in the dome and it will be hard for the Viks to communicate. Although since they play in one may not be intimidated as much as some other teams. The Saints fans are one of the few home fans that really get behind their team. And i'd love to see NO take home a superbowl.

If Peterson can have a big day and Favre and Rice keep their relationship hot the Vikings can do a lot of damage. But the Saints showed last week that they were fresh and rested and didn't show any signs of rust. Reggie Bush should be coming into the game with a lot of confidence too. If the Saints D can keep Peterson quiet the way the Cowboys did i believe Favre will throw some turnovers. And the Saints have been great at forcing them. With both defenses suspect i reckon this will be another high scoring game. Gonna go with the Saints in a close battle. Possibly winning by a field goal.

Saints
    With both defenses suspect i reckon this will be another high scoring game

Eh what?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

I'd prefer the Vikes. Would enjoy seeing Favre getting another ring.
    Then retiring.
    However Darren Sharper used to be a Packer and should be very familiar with Favre. Could make for some interesting fireworks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Saints
    Hope the Vikes take it.......

But the head says homefield will make the difference. Saints by 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Eh what?

What do you mean what? Viks and Saints are ranked 19th and 26th respectively on passing defense. And both have quarterbacks coming off big wins and great regular seasons. Why is it hard to believe that it won't be a high scoring game? Or are you saying that they both have great D's or something? I don't get your comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Saints
    What do you mean what? Viks and Saints are ranked 19th and 26th respectively on passing defense. And both have quarterbacks coming off big wins and great regular seasons. Why is it hard to believe that it won't be a high scoring game? Or are you saying that they both have great D's or something? I don't get your comment.

Vikings are ranked 6th in total defense. Not exactly suspect by any stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Saints
    I thought the Saints' power and hunger was awesome on Saturday against the Cardinals and it will be tough for the Vikings on the road (the noise at the Superdome seemed unreal!) but I would love to see Favre back in a Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

The Saints were awesome on Saturday, and I think they'll take this one. Home advantage, the Dome was an absolute fortress the other night. The Cardinals couldn't communicate. Plus, its the first NFC Championship game there. The fans will be really up for it, and I think Brees and co. will keep the Saints fire burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I have a strong feeling for Minnesota. Not on the basis of the Dallas game, but just on experience. They have a couple of solid years behind them, NO have come from nowhere this year.

Not really, they were at this stage 3 years ago losing to the Bears. I know there is a turnover roster wise and they but guys like Brees, Bush, Colsten, Lance Moore and many others have been there and done it. Then you have experienced guys like Sharper and Shockey. Systematically I think they're both fairly settled. Offensively the Saints have been a machine since 06 but this year can control it with better run + defense. Okay defensively they've mixed it up this year but I still think they're settled enough. They havent made the post season since 06 but they've been dangerous since for everybody, their defence has let them down of course but they're settled and have things together.

Of course the Vikings are set on both offense and defence. The defence under Fraiser has been set for 2+ years now so we've known that. Farve's input means we actually see their offense and how it has supposed to have worked for the previous two years. Both teams are as experienced as each other imo and its the other variables that we have to take account of.

The dome.
    Less attritional game versus the Cardinals imo.
    Better coach, Childers is an okay coach but still makes silly clock management calls. The teams talent covers up a lot of his mistakes at times.

Saints to win by 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

NTMK wrote: »
    Same I want to see Farve go out at the top (if he does retire)

Brett Favre is incapable of retiring.

Both teams obviously have the players to do it and have been consistently good all year, but the Saints' offense is ridiculous. Give Brees the football and they can score with ANYBODY, and add to that the fact that Reggie Bush has been saving up a lot of "league's highest paid decoy" bitterness for this playoff run, and any team in football would be in trouble. Between their rush attack and their screen game they can deal with the Vikes rush.

That said, who's going to be surprised if this ends 28-27 with the last score being a 99 yard Brett Favre bomb that stays in the air for thirty seconds after the clock is dead until it's caught in the endzone for a touchdown.

Saints
    caught by rice of course:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

what time is kick off?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

raven136 wrote: »
    what time is kick off?
    Earlier Stateside Fox was showing it to be aired at roughly 3.40pm PST.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

This is going to be a straight-out shootout. Pity I'm going to miss it!

Incidentally. If New Orleans win then it will be the first time since Superbowl XXVIII that both number 1 seeds contest it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Saints
    Lets go #4

favre_vikes.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm cheering for Reggie Bush and the Saints. Oops, my Trojan bias is showing!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I really do like Brett Favre despite the fact that he lead them Packers in '96. I was sure at the start of the year that I would be rooting for him if he made it this far but I can't, Brees made a great commitment to New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, he deserves it, the people of New Orleans deserve it even more.

I'm shouting for the Saints tonight, but one thing is for certain sure, whoever wins this game better win the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'll be roaring for Brees and the Saints. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Fr Tierney

No matter who wins this game, I think it will be one of the best superbowl final in years. Colts to win thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Peterson storms in. Vikings up 7-0.

• Advertisement

Fantastic opening drive from the vikings.

Advertisement