Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 3: Goulash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Ate it last night and it was lovely, I added more paprika in the end:D
    Have some left over for today, I reckon it'll be even tastier today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

kerash wrote: »
    Have some left over for today, I reckon it'll be even tastier today :)
    That's the best part! :D
    Not that it's a difficult dish to make but it's nice not having to do much the next day other than heating it up making some rice to go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

People should note that there are many different types of paprika.

Regular Paprika
    Hot Paprika
    Smoked Paprika
    Smoked Hot Paprika
    Sweet Spanish Paprika
    etc etc

Each has a very different flavour and level of hotness.

I'm guessing that for a goulash, it is regular paprika that is required (which doesn't really have any heat) or, preferably, Hungarian Paprika.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made this this evening and it was delish! There's oodles left, so it'll do for tomorrow night for the family too :).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Made this last night for a few friends and it went down very well. Actually I made it Tuesday so it would be nicely matured by last night!

I use sweet paprika, and I would prefer a bit more of a kick, but might make adjustments the next time. Yes, I will be trying it again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

People looking for more of a kick: no reason not to throw a chilli or more into the mix. I know I will when I get around to this recipe. Some bay leafs too, I'd say.

People looking for more of a kick: no reason not to throw a chilli or more into the mix. I know I will when I get around to this recipe. Some bay leafs too, I'd say.

Yeah, I stopped myself adding chilli to this, to see how it was without :D

I would add a bit of red wine vinegar. Gives a nice little depth to beef casseroles I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

People should note that there are many different types of paprika.

Smoked Paprika

Do you know where I could buy this in Dublin city? I've been looking everywhere but no luck so far.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Do you know where I could buy this in Dublin city? I've been looking everywhere but no luck so far.
    Cheers.

You can get it in an Hungarian shop here beside cineworld...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wanted to make this on Thursday :(

But I couldn't get to the recipe!

So, having it Saturday instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭molliesassy

Same happened to me! Had everything ready to make it on Thursday and couldnt get the recipe :( Had to make a plain beef casserole instead.
    Will have a go again early next week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Same as that. Had planned this for yesterday and was gonna guess the recipe but I made my dish for next week instead.

Doing this on Sunday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I'm going to have some goulash this evening :) Looking forward to it already and I'm only after my breakfast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Boyfriend (new to cooking) made this on Thursday and it was gorgeous - and very easy to make... Thanks :) Very impressed!!

Made this this evening. It's delicious.

I was fairly wary about it, I'll admit, because it;s different to my mam's recipe, but yeah, I loved this one. I forgot how much I love the paprika flavour with steak pieces actually.

Had it with boiled baby potatoes, and Dumplings, which are in the pic.

It was my first time making Dumplings, and while they were nice, I'd like a bit more flavour in them.

DSC00060-1.jpg?t=1264277203

The picture doesn't do it justice at all, it's more red than brown in reality, but the light was bad and my cameraphone is crappy.

Anyway, well done OP, love this one a lot.

And we have bloody loads too, I made two lots of the recipe in the first post, because the OH is a veggie (substituted veg stock for beef, and Quorn Beef for real steak pieces)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Made it today and it went down very well. Used rib steak for the first time and it was superb in it. Served it with spuds. Thanks again psycho-hope.

DSC_1803.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭georgem25

I made this today - it was lovely. I didnt have any mushrooms so I used a few other veg instead. My mother thought it was lovely. Photo isnt great but it tasted lovely!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't think I've made a stew or used stewing steak in ages. Won't get around to making this for a week or so, but the posts so far are encouraging!

This is even deliciouser a couple of days after it's been made, had more tonight after freezing my balls off at a football match, proper winter warmer food, with bread and butter.

Heh, Mr Mag, we looked at your photo and went "Why did he make it in OUR kitchen!!".

We have the same pot :D

Yours is a better pic than mine, but the end product in yours looks very similar to mine too.
    Made it today and it went down very well. Used rib steak for the first time and it was superb in it. Served it with spuds. Thanks again psycho-hope.

DSC_1803.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Made this tonight and it turned out great. Thanks for the recipe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This is currently simmering away, will report back later. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

So i've bailed on the last 2 weeks, sorry. The baba is ruling the roost at the moment. My eyes are falling out of my head a bit. Definitely gonna try this though. Still have the steak pieces in the freezer. :)

This is currently simmering away, will report back later. :)

Well? :)

It was pretty good indeed. :) Think it lacked a bit of a kick so it may be missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Ok, 'tis on the hob cooking. Realised half way through that my casserole dish was by no means big enough to deal with the double quantites I decided on doing, so I had to move to the big stock pot! Never cooked this kind of thing in a "normal" pot before so I hope it turns out ok.
    Now is the time I need to know what needs to go in to give it the kick though! Both Faith and TBO said it needed something, any ideas?

Nevermind, I've done ALL of the suggestions already given: 1 and a half capfuls red wine vinegar, two bay leaves, and a teaspoon of some prepared chilli malarky I had sitting in my fridge. We'll see how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I did make this actually, never said it. Was really nice.

I made a few changes.
    • I forgot to put mushrooms in. :p
    • I didn't have cornflour, so I coated the beef in flour before frying (I used rib steak btw) and added a tiny bit more flour closer to the end of cooking. Didn't want to impart a taste of flour, so didn't use too much. Might have been a little bit more runny in the end compared to cornflour: but I was happy with it.
    • I roasted the red pepper before adding to the mix. Did this to give a bit of a deeper flavour. Though I didn't really do it properly (should have charred the skin, was feeling lazy).
    • I added red chilli (for the kick) and bay leafs.
    • I added carrots, parsnips and celery - all go really well with the recipe.

Was really happy with the result, thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

It's done and its yummy. Proper plain and simple comfort food. Thought it was a bit runny at the end so I took all the meat out and boiled the bejaysus out of the sauce for 10 mins and WOW did the flavour intensify. Yum.
    Took a photo, but tbh, just looks the same as everyone elses so not going to bother posting it.
    Attempt one at cookery club: success :D

Forgot to say, I cooked it for 2.5 hours - I wanted the meat to really fall apart.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to adapt this to a slow cooker? I totally adore the falling-apart meat from slow cooking when I do it, but I just can't get my head around the adapting of recipes.

It's done and its yummy. Proper plain and simple comfort food. Thought it was a bit runny at the end so I took all the meet out and boiled the bejaysus out of the sauce for 10 mins and WOW did the flavour intensify. Yum.
    Took a photo, but tbh, just looks the same as everyone elses so not going to bother posting it.
    Attempt one at cookery club: success :D

Ooh, that sounds good. Can't wait to try it again with all the additions. Dishes like this are such a great thing to have mid-week, mid-winter.

Flavour seems to have improved over a day or two. A bit like there's some red wine in it, but there isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Made this for the 3rd time in 2 weeks :) Its defo nicer when made the day before!!! Its fab - have my whole family addicted to it!!!!

Advertisement