Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Dan

Options
  • 16-01-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick note to say that Lough Dan scout site is on the comeback. Having always remained open over the years despite all the BS it really being turned around now by a dedicated group of people.

http://www.loughdan.com/

The assault course is back, house will be reopening shortly, water activties back in place, water systems sorted out, midgy destroying machines in place.

Check out the site, support an absolute jewel of SI campsites!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Gotta agree with you 100%, the place is seriously great recently. So much improvement. Fair play to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

I remember going to Lough Dan a few times several years back and the midges were UNBELIEVABLE!

Swarms and swarms of them - I would never go back for love or money! :D

Even if they had those bug zappers like in restaurants someone would need to be underneath it with a shovel just to keep it clear.

My face is itchy just thinking of the place. aghhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Tails142 wrote: »
    I remember going to Lough Dan a few times several years back and the midges were UNBELIEVABLE!

Even if they had those bug zappers like in restaurants someone would need to be underneath it with a shovel just to keep it clear.

they got two industrial machine now that kill something like a million an hour.

They were only really bad in the summer too, with the swamp being cleared a bit they should be reduced as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jen-

Tails142 wrote: »

If you went for the weekend you were f**ed!! But if it was a weeklong camp you'd get used to it!!
    I was in scouts for 6 years and miss it soooo much! Lough Dan was so much fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hostel is now re-open and taking bookings.

54 beds, split mainly into rooms of 8.
    Leaders room with couches, main dining area, great kitchen.

Stayed there last weekend with cubs, would recommend it to anyone to bring their group, get onto the website to book it. loughdan.ie

Seemingly the campsite is booked right through the summer :) good news all round.

The place is looking great, water systems work properly, showers work, barn is usable, fencing fixed up, hostel open, midges reduced through swamp clearout. Well done all involved in bringing it back, particularly one Donald Harvey (ex Chief Scout SAI) without whom it would not have happened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shoie

Great to hear the hostel is reopen.

A big well done to all those involved in the National Tree Week. I hear the place was heaving for the weekend and hundreds of trees were planted.

Advertisement