Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is satan good and god evil?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

Before you answer any of the comments regarding the teleological arguments, you might read this quote from George H Smith, Atheism: The Case Against God...

"Consider the idea that nature itself is the product of design. How could this be demonstrated? Nature, as we have seen, provides the basis of comparison by which we distinguish between designed objects and natural objects. We are able to infer the presence of design only to the extent that the characteristics of an object differ from natural characteristics. Therefore, to claim that nature as a whole was designed is to destroy the basis by which we differentiate between artifacts and natural objects. Evidences of design are those characteristics not found in nature, so it is impossible to produce evidence of design within the context of nature itself. Only if we first step beyond nature, and establish the existence of a supernatural designer, can we conclude that nature is the result of conscious planning." (p. 268)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Slattery86 wrote: »
    I'd wish for all to have an open mind on this question, and to put aside christian imagery of satan for a minute and ask ourselves this question, is satan good and god evil?

Now i'm aware of the images which come to people’s minds when they think about these two individuals, or consider their answer to the question i've just posed- but this is not how I want it this debate to go. I'd just like to ask you to think for a minute about the state of the world, and many of the problems it has, and yet the majority of people worship the christian god, whereas only a few worship satan.

Now here’s what i've been thinking, could the world hypothetically be in the state it's in because of the fact that most people worship the wrong god, or that satan is punishing us, or deserting us for not acknowledging him as the true god?

Think about it and keep an open mind. After all looking at the behaviour of the church throughout its history, and with the bible replete with tales of famine/ torture/ murder/ punishment/ war/ plague etc etc, it may not be far off the point. And what would the evil one do to try and turn most people away from the concept of acknowledging the true god- well that’s simple, they'd demonise him, and portray him as an evil, deviant entity. Yet what if its not the case, and we've had it wrong for so long, thus explaining the state of the world.

I think the author Robert Pullman explores this idea in the trilogy "His Dark Materials"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement