Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richie Ryan feckin WRECKS my head...discuss

Options
  • 16-01-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I really HAVE to turn off the radio whenever this guy is on.
    If I wanted to hear some Brit talk about soccer all the time I'd feckin turn on Sky Sports. :mad:
    This should NOT be on a Rock Radio station in my opinion.
    And I think his music choice is pretty crap.
    Would like to hear what others think.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Jesus I dunno, I hate soccer yet I'd listen to Richie's stadium rock. He plays good stuff. And talks to his mammy. What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

He's just so feckin.....English...& annoying! Just never shuts up.
    Makes my blood boil.

(Not that I;ve anything against the English, I'm living & working in Liverpool. Just him :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

I'm not a big sports fan, but again, i'd listen to Ritchie on Stadium Rock, and also on the drive home from work, sure, he's quality!

(Hehehe, sorry Richie, couldn't resist)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I like Richie Ryan. I actually find his accent somewhat refreshing on Irish radio. He has a conversational style and is not pretentious and does not fake an accent or possess any airs or graces. In other words, he is himself.

As a matter of fact, I would not fault him particularly on his choice of music. I like his occasional insertion of classic rock, from the likes of Thin Lizzy, into the mix. Richie posesses the interest and enthusiasm for music as well, which is a prerequisite for any decent Phantom deejay.

He is now on weekday drivetime as well as Saturday's Stadium Rock. Happy days! I am not a big sports fan, and only pay scant heed to soccer, but I have no problem with the sports inserts, or indeed his own thoughts on football.

There are many Irish broadcasters who would give me a pain, long before Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 eric the head

first of all stadium rock is one of the better shows on phantom. music and footy .. great combination ! i think richie does a good job on it. i haven't heard his other show on week days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Don't like him, he has an annoying voice. But he does usually play decent tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Laurashmlaura

He has a conversational style and is not pretentious and does not fake an accent or possess any airs or graces. In other words, he is himself.

That's fair enough but when it comes to radio you need to be a bit more accessible, which I feel he's not. He also takes lots of gaps when he's talking.

I've no huge problem with him, but it would be nice to hear lots of different Irish people on Phantom, from different counties, because as a nation you could argue that we're a little bereft of a strong national identity.

As for his music choice, I've no huge problem with it, but it's not my favourite show.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Does my head in in Drivetime, fine for the footie if you like that sorta thing. Tends to drivel on a bit too much IMO.
    Richie-Ryan.jpg
    'Naff Off!'

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

I think Richie is great!!! :D

His accent is a refreshing change, and the tone and pase of Stadium Rock suits my Saturdays perfectly!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

He's a lot better than Jack Highland was.

• Advertisement

He's a lot better than Jack Highland was.

Jack was never gonna set the world on fire either but I liked him on drivetime I have to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭lanyonwhites

I think hes a class dj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Scrunch1

Oh good lord, I've never heard such blantant racist sentiments in my life - based on someones accent or on his lack of "irish-ness"!!! Give me a friggin break here - how can you base someones competancy at being a good DJ (and I might add I think he's a bloody good one like the majority of posters on this topic!) on where they were born or indeed how "Irish" they sound!??! Crazy! Also, I might add, the fact that he's been on Phantom since days of yorn might equate to the fact the man has quite possibly been living over here donkeys years (and has an Irish Mammy to boot which those of us will know that listen to Stadium Rock too)......I think Declan's post sums up Richie style of dj'ing to a Tee - which is exactly what phantom needed on a drivetime show - a mixed bag of top quality tunes (which are diverse - again a massive bonus) aswell as some good ol' banter and conversation....the minority of you that dont like it can switch over to another station (although you'd probably have a problem with the others DJ's on those stations too - they probably sound "too Irish" for you - or leave too "few gaps"!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Scrunch1 wrote: »
    Oh good lord, I've never heard such blantant racist sentiments in my life - based on someones accent or on his lack of "irish-ness"!!! Give me a friggin break here - how can you base someones competancy at being a good DJ (and I might add I think he's a bloody good one like the majority of posters on this topic!) on where they were born or indeed how "Irish" they sound!??

Nothing do to with racism if you had read the post better, just to do with the fact that the OP doens't like Richie and doesn't like his accent for this show.
    rinnin wrote: »
    I really HAVE to turn off the radio whenever this guy is on.
    If I wanted to hear some Brit talk about soccer all the time I'd feckin turn on Sky Sports. :mad:
    This should NOT be on a Rock Radio station in my opinion.
    And I think his music choice is pretty crap.
    Would like to hear what others think.
    Don't like him, he has an annoying voice. But he does usually play decent tunes.

I must admit, I don't like him neither, nor does the BF. I prefer him on Stadium Rock, but I just cannot stand the man on Phantom drive. And yes, he played excellent tunes. Which his programmers compile for him.

I switch on Phantom as soon as I leave work and usually get cheered up straight away, hearing a cracking tune.... untill he starts talking. He just puts me off entirely. Nothing to do with being English or not, do to with being Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 flipperdpriest

Na. I think he is actually quite good. Better than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Scrunch1

sNarah wrote: »
    Nothing do to with racism if you had read the post better, just to do with the fact that the OP doens't like Richie and doesn't like his accent for this show.

No sNarah, no need for me to read the OP "Better" - as he quite blantantly wrote how he didnt wanna hear "some brit" - nothing about it specifically about this show....hmmm....maybe you should read it better yourself! If someone across the water was writing about hating listening to "some paddy" we'd be on the defensive so the same offense is warrented in this case too im my opinion.

Also, just to add, granted there be certain tracks on a playlist (generally current ones) that all DJ's would be asked to play on their shows, but all DJ's would get some scope and input into the style of music they play on their specific shows - (in Richies case, he seems to love the Smiths and New Order so plays them a good bit) so to say that his (or any DJ's music is pre-determined soley by a programmer is a load of codswollop!)

Scrunch1 wrote: »
    No sNarah, no need for me to read the OP "Better" - as he quite blantantly wrote how he didnt wanna hear "some brit" - nothing about it specifically about this show....hmmm....maybe you should read it better yourself! If someone across the water was writing about hating listening to "some paddy" we'd be on the defensive so the same offense is warrented in this case too im my opinion.

Also, just to add, granted there be certain tracks on a playlist (generally current ones) that all DJ's would be asked to play on their shows, but all DJ's would get some scope and input into the style of music they play on their specific shows - (in Richies case, he seems to love the Smiths and New Order so plays them a good bit) so to say that his (or any DJ's music is pre-determined soley by a programmer is a load of codswollop!)

Yes perhaps I was a bit quick, apologies.

Nothing more to add though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mxdave

On my break and I just google'd "Richie Ryan annoying" for the crack and I found this thread :D

Plays good music but He goes through my head, He should ease off talking about football too its head wrecking ha!

Getting a little annoyed with Phantom at the moment though its just like the same stuff every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I like Richie as a DJ. As others have said, his accent is a refreshing change on the radio. I like his choice of music, and enjoy his shows, even though I hate hate hate football..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Good DJ, bit sick of asking his mum questions, it's a cheap trick funny for a while, now just stale, like Soccer AM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I don't mind him but god he is on about sport all fecking day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I'm not a big sports fan, but again, i'd listen to Ritchie on Stadium Rock, and also on the drive home from work, sure, he's quality!

(Hehehe, sorry Richie, couldn't resist)
    Took me awhile to get used to him but he is a very likeable guy. Give him time. Slot he does with mother on the football very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Plays the SAME sh1te songs EVERY DAY. Bit of variety wouldnt go astray. Headwrecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rubyblack

Ah Yeah Richie Ryan is prob my favourite on Phantom, he's a funny enough bloke and his content is real good, first time I ever heard of that total cock Paddy O'Gorman was ol Rich havina go, real funny it was! I do think the stations playlist is a bit repetitive tho but that's all the dj's, not just Rich. This list of Intros is leathal, haven't been this dedicated to a final result since Dave Fannings Fab 50!!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

I absolutely hated him when I first heard him years ago (for the same reasons as the op), but he's grown on me. I quite like him now and really enjoy his daily story around 4.45 about what happened to him that day.

I can't stand the Mammy bit on Stadium Rock. Really have no interest in hearing that at all. Just play the music...

Richie is perfectly suited to Stadium Rock as the content is heavily soccer dependant and his 'Englishness' fits in. The bit with his 'Ma' is quirky but slightly head-wrecking.

Was disappointed when he took over Phantom Drive but I've grown to appreciate him on it.

In general Phantom is a very well coreographed station and well presented for the most part. You want to hear poor presentation tune in to Nova and you will embrace Phatom again with open arms. I like most of the music on Phantom & Nova but the latter is let down so much on presentation that the least favourite listener of Phantom would take Richie over the 'best' presenter on Nova all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    In general Phantom is a very well coreographed station and well presented for the most part. You want to hear poor presentation tune in to Nova and you will embrace Phatom again with open arms. I like most of the music on Phantom & Nova but the latter is let down so much on presentation that the least favourite listener of Phantom would take Richie over the 'best' presenter on Nova all day long.
    Yeah the presenters on Nova are rubbish (except Pat James on Sunday night - he's good). But now that I have two good stations to listen to I don't really listen to the presenters on either anymore. I just flick from one to the other between songs and news breaks etc.

Seosaimh77 wrote: »
    I absolutely hated him when I first heard him years ago (for the same reasons as the op), but he's grown on me. I quite like him now and really enjoy his daily story around 4.45 about what happened to him that day.

I can't stand the Mammy bit on Stadium Rock. Really have no interest in hearing that at all. Just play the music...

Me too - took a while to get used to him but really like him now...
    (sorry Richie :o)

Never thought I would hear myself say this but I'm gonna miss Richie on my drive home this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

glad im not the only one who misses him.

Advertisement