Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF - So why have you chosen your main?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

First time I played SF was on the genesis as a wee lad. Oh I can just remember reading the manual and pulling off my first hadoken's and SRKs etc. I remember fior some reason I couldn't do the Tatsu, and when I finally got it I was like :0 Anyway, I dunno, it took off from there really. Just love fighting games. I guess I messed with Shotos in SF2, ST I play Ryu and Guile. In the alpha games I really took to Guy. Thought he was awesome. When A3 came the whole V-Ism thing made me mess around with more characters. Played Gouki and Cody mainly there. I guess the next SF game I got into was CVS2. I didn't have any competition but I still think I am an averageish player, and enjoy the game. In 3s I found Shotos horrible to use, so after some messing about I mained Urien with Yun as a sub

Why I use Ken in SFIV all of a sudden? Well when I first played the game, Urien players said Balrog was a little similar. So naturally I messed around with him, but didn't really like him tbh. Used Ryu for quite a while but got tired of that too. I took a long hiatus from the game then started to play again. To be perfectly honest, I was like "I never really bothered with Ken in most games, lemme see what he's all about(just planned to mess about in training)". So I went into training mode and read SRK up on his game etc. I don't know. I just really took to him. Think his playstyle is great. I thought his toward + mk was awesome. Then I found out he had a kara throw :P And a kara tatsu, and a kara SRK and a Kara hadoken..... nah jk, that isn't really why I play him. I just think he's a great character, stuck with him and really liking him etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Just joined up. Might have seen some of you in Dublin today. 'Twas recommended that I sign on here....

I have two mains: Balrog and Dan. I used Balrog way back on the Megadrive but his weakness to fireball spamming meant I didn't use him much when he eventually showed up in Alpha. Street Fighter 4's EX Specials, however, give him some extra fight against those - nothing beats blasting straight through a Hadoken for the win - so he's back to being my primary dude.

I first used Dan in Gem Fighter, after discovering that his triple-kick could be used in the air and made a nice, near-inpenetrable "Wall of Dan" technique with which to constantly advance on the opponent (Sairus) and pummel them (Sakura) senseless. Thus began my long alliegence to the Master of Saikyo through Alpha and the Vs. series to SF4. Nobody expects to lose to Dan. Very few do, either, but we Saikyo disciples know that it is not the victory that matters, but the ability to gloat even after the most horrific of losses.

Street Fighter III had neither of them, so my mains were Elena and Dudley. Elena because she rocked, and Dudley because he was like a tightarsed Balrog with a dragon punch (a quick-response move that Balrog could really use). Super SFIV should be interesting, then....

The many hours spent playing the Vs series means I normally have a roster of three mains. Akuma's usually third, though I don't use him much because he's, y'know, actually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I first used Dan in Gem Fighter, after discovering that his triple-kick could be used in the air and made a nice, near-inpenetrable "Wall of Dan" technique with which to constantly advance on the opponent (Sairus) and pummel them (Sakura) senseless. Thus began my long alliegence to the Master of Saikyo through Alpha and the Vs. series to SF4. Nobody expects to lose to Dan. Very few do, either, but we Saikyo disciples know that it is not the victory that matters, but the ability to gloat even after the most horrific of losses.

Then, you'll love this ;-)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

SF4 is my first real trip into fighting games. Like a lot of people I picked Ryu to begin with. I hated charge characters. I whizzed through G3 and thought I was great. I was a scrub in every sense of the word.

When I got to G2 I was swiftly raped into the ground. And so began the great character swap. I went through loads of 'em, And I tried a bit of Honda and something just felt right.

I'm more knowledgeable about all the characters now, and I wouldn't say I'm "Bad" with any of them, but Honda is perfect for me. Nice basic stuff, with some some decent mix up, good health, crazy damage from small combos and that headbutt. "Heavy Hitter" is my current title thing online, and that explains my playstyle, hit seldom and hard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Throughout all the games I loved and played guile up to sf4(especially in hdr with the crazy range on his flash kick and the easiest ever input for a super). Guile was always the coolest and still is, amongst the cast but I didn't like how he played in 4. I hate playing against him on live, so doom i need to get some practice in with u man!!!.

Like everyone I used ryu to get a feel for the mechanics of 4. In The right hands he's
    lethal of course but I found myself getting bored easily into G2. After plenty of experimenting I decided I'd try chun's challenge mode combos and that was that.

Started to learn chun and her style felt very right for me. It's been a steep learning curve but I think I've brought her to a decent level now apart from some still terrible matchups for me( bison,guile, patient sagats!!!). Super though will definately make me learn what I hope will be a competent 2nd choice (deejay / Adon).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

animaX wrote: »
    Then, you'll love this ;-)

Hmm. I'm not normally that annoying, but damn, it's getting results.

Advertisement