Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday 15th -- flood risk rising, milder

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We are still being cut off at night, but can fill all containers in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

We have no water since circa 10:00am yesterday.

Apparently one leak was fixed and when they put on the pressure a geyser shot up on the next road.

In the meantime, we welcome the rain showers, cover ourselves in soap and dancing in the rain.

Its the only showers we'll see this side of Easter.

:mad:

ONQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

onq wrote: »
    No water in the pipes, the tank, the cisterns after a deluge last night.

Maybe its nature's way of telling us to put out some barrels, pots and pans this evening.

It's a good advertisement for getting a water butt, if you have spac, because there's nothing like it for collecting rainwater. I've had it for about two years now, I think and we get enough rain that I don't think it's ever run dry. I usually use it for the garden in the summer (rather than mains water) and it isn't drinkable, but it's coming in very handy for flushing toilets, etc. at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

RTE News
    In Bray, a number of houses were evacuated early this morning.

Around nine houses off Old Connaught Avenue were flooded at around 4am. The residents of three of the houses, including two men with disabilities in their 70s and a family with two children, had to leave with the assistance of the local fire brigade.

A large walled garden, used by people attending the Festina Lente day care project for adults with intellectual disabilities, was also badly flooded and management have warned it will have to close temporarily as a result.

This morning, it was estimated there was around 2.1m (7') of water trapped inside the walls of the garden.

Meanwhile, the river Vartry has burst its banks between Ashford and Rathnew. As a result, Mount Usher Gardens has been badly flooded.

Head Gardener Sean Heffernan said almost the entire width of the gardens is covered in water. The level of water is almost as bad as the flooding that happened during Hurricane Charlie, he said.

Gardaí are advising motorists to avoid Arklow town until further notice. The main bridge has been closed because of the volume of water passing under it.

Its a bit of a slow news day with the mention of Vartry bursting banks and flooding Mount Usher.

The Vartry bursts its banks there regularly. Certainly it was higher than usual and it'l leave silt, but it was well below Charley levels and I doubt there will be much loss in the gardens.
    The flood plains looked impressive and were doing what nature intended. I saw the Vartry at its peak at 6am, by 11am it was down about 20cm and by 1430 it appeared to be down a further 30cm

It's very unusual for the ferrybank bridge in Arklow to be closed though.
    Last time I remember that happening was hurricane charlie.
    The fetch of snowmelt there would start just above the meetings of the waters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Its good to be back to normal isn't it - balmy winters in Dublin :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

I've you're really stuck for a shower in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, and you don't want to get even friendlier with your friends in South Central than you already are, you could do worse than try the swimming pools.

The Blue Pool in Monkstown has reasonable rates, and you get hot showers and hair dryers [blowers on the wall] thrown in as well as a nice sauna for €15 for three.

Yes, there is a faint smell of Eau de Chlorine afterwards, but its a lot better than the alternative, although the "stuck" hair day will save you money on gel.

Water still not back on at 17:20 from 10:00 yesterday.

:mad::mad:

HTH

ONQ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

down to 4.3c here now dosnt feel cold either thought it would because of yesterdays 10c but dosnt so shows how cold it was and that i am still used to this cold...... max today was 7.4c....... clear now i wonder if i could get a 0c or -1c i would be so happy to get that again to remember what it was like!!!!!!! whats the chances of that are we expected to stay clear all night? i see dew points are dropping too 2.0c or so here i wonder if any precipitation would fall as snow if temps got to near 0c and it rained...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Serious wind and rain last night.

Never seen the garden so flooded this morning.

Drainage a nightmare so i now have more problems than i had when pipes were frozen :(

Unbelieveably calm this morning though, hopefully we have a chance to drain a bit before next tuesday evenings next significant forecast rain.

Just to add a stat to the above as i'm in Waterford City. I measured 42mm of rain from 4pm to 4am. Was really an awful night of wind and rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I took some photos of a turbulant Vartry in Ashford. Not good photos, some in dark and others hastily taken, but it may give you feel of how high the river was
    View photos here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just noticed two lightning strikes here in the last few mins!

EDIT: Hmm maybe not . . . sky seem pretty clear. Any other reports of lightning?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

22248_104852159533044_100000247807217_127386_4057711_s.jpg

22248_104852166199710_100000247807217_127388_4671237_s.jpg

22248_104852162866377_100000247807217_127387_1705184_s.jpg

19271_104911722859933_100000233173590_122921_2863274_s.jpg
    19271_104911289526643_100000233173590_122891_1173165_s.jpg
    19271_104911296193309_100000233173590_122893_7683372_s.jpg

some pics of d flooding in arklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Today should be the last day of the snow being around, most of it is gone except for some in ditches above 240m asl.

Nice to have the warmer air, no worries about slipping and life can return to normal, seems the east and south east worst affected with the flooding this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here too; just a few lumps of ice in the back field and a small scattering on the mountains now.

Thoughts turn delightfully to digging and growing once more.. Watching the hedges for leaf buds etc.
    Min wrote: »
    Today should be the last day of the snow being around, most of it is gone except for some in ditches above 240m asl.

Nice to have the warmer air, no worries about slipping and life can return to normal, seems the east and south east worst affected with the flooding this time.

Advertisement