Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Jurassic Park Trilogy in the works.

Options
  • 14-01-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Bear in mind it's not a remake, but a follow up.
    http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18702
    Fans of Jurassic Park (that's me!) get ready for a huge piece of news courtesy of Jurassic Park III director Joe Johnston. Apparently, the plan is to kick start the franchise into a brand new trilogy! "Well, there is going to be a 'Jurassic Park IV'," Johnston tells Box Officie. "And it's going to be unlike anything you've seen. It breaks away from the first three—it's essentially the beginning of the second Jurassic Park trilogy. It's going to be done in a completely different way

Suffice to say, after Jurassic Park ///, I'm a bit worried. AS pesimistic as I am, I just know I'll see each movie in teh cinema at least 3 times and buy the BluRays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

There were rumours of the army using genetically smarter dinosaurs as weapons at one stage, terrible idea for a JP movie, would be a pretty cool concept for a different franchise though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

krudler wrote: »
    There were rumours of the army using genetically smarter dinosaurs as weapons at one stage, terrible idea for a JP movie, would be a pretty cool concept for a different franchise though

dino-riders film :eek:

DinoRidersPoster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Galvasean wrote: »
    Bear in mind it's not a remake, but a follow up.
    http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18702

Suffice to say, after Jurassic Park ///, I'm a bit worried. AS pesimistic as I am, I just know I'll see each movie in teh cinema at least 3 times and buy the BluRays.

If it has dinos in it, I will be watching. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Wossack wrote: »
    dino-riders film :eek:

DinoRidersPoster.jpg

Honestly THANK F**KING YOU!!!!
    I have been thinking fo this programme for about 2 years but it kept slipping my mind! Going to put it in the DL list,

Thanks * 1,000,000,000

Oh and JP ill be waiting for it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

Jurassic Park vs. Predator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

krudler wrote: »

Weren't they carrying guns aswell?

I wouldn't mind a scenario with a man trying to control velociraptors sans guns before another "clever girl" type situation like an Aliens comic did. Not that that could carry a film let alone three.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,009 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have no hopes for this movie, but i just know that as soon as the first teaser hits (i'm gonna assume black screen, a thud sound and a water ripple effect...) i'm gonna get all excited.

Love the first one, best summer block buster that I can remember, still love watching it now. the second and third.....mmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh. don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭jeffreylebowski

Ever since Alien Resurrection, I'm dissatisfied by any movie that Doesn't have human hybrids with the creature in question. I want Predator movies where there's human/Predator hybrids, and even though I know it's wrong, I want a human/Veliciraptor hybrid if they make new Jurassic Park movies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I worry that saying "HEY! NEW TRILOGY, LADS!" is pushing it a bit. Make Jurassic Park 4 with the option to two more sequels. Smells a bit of "Eragon" where they tell you it's a trilogy and people (like me) get instantly put off.

I loved JP 1 but not 2 & 3 so much, but I'd definitely go see JP4. I really hope it's not all CGI and they have some awesome expensive animatronics....because CGI ages but an awesome prop always looks like an awesome prop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fans of Jurassic Park (that's me!) get ready for a huge piece of news courtesy of Jurassic Park III director Joe Johnston. Apparently, the plan is to kick start the franchise into a brand new trilogy! "Well, there is going to be a 'Jurassic Park IV'," Johnston tells Box Officie. "And it's going to be unlike anything you've seen. It breaks away from the first three—it's essentially the beginning of the second Jurassic Park trilogy. It's going to be done in a completely different way
    So in other words it's going to be an over the top CGI dependant ball of shyte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I worry that saying "HEY! NEW TRILOGY, LADS!" is pushing it a bit. Make Jurassic Park 4 with the option to two more sequels. Smells a bit of "Eragon" where they tell you it's a trilogy and people (like me) get instantly put off.

I loved JP 1 but not 2 & 3 so much, but I'd definitely go see JP4. I really hope it's not all CGI and they have some awesome expensive animatronics....because CGI ages but an awesome prop always looks like an awesome prop.

I get ye completely. It's where moneymaking (&...3d...yawn) is prioritized before story and characters...it's says to me - The first movie isn't even going to have a proper story...it's setting up the main event, so see it as an epilogue to the main event the THIRD movie (yeah the second will follow the same path as the first but thy're money makers so it's all good for the studios...)

I don't mind it so much when there has been a trilogy or series written already a la Harry Potter.

Jurassic Park 4: Jurassic Parker...heh heh

I agree. I hope each movie can stand on it's own (the end of the second will probably be a cliffhanger to the third a la Pirates 2) but for JP4 it'd have to be a self-contained movie for people to want to be a success. Like pretty much every harry potter movie (except for 6, really) gets wrapped up nice enough at the end. Saying "see you in 6 years for the end of the story" is a real slap in the face.

OK last digression, but I hope it follows the self-contained but overarching plotline like Star Wars IV-VI did. Each movie is pretty much self-contained but follow a massive storyline, each with it's own progression. Sure the end of 5 paves the way for 6 but some plot threads had developments
    (Leia and Han, Luke learning to be a jedi and his confrontation with Vader, plight of the rebellion, the emperor)
    and we're left satisfied at the end of the movie, as I did with Pirates 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭jeffreylebowski

I really hope it's not all CGI and they have some awesome expensive animatronics....because CGI ages but an awesome prop always looks like an awesome prop.

I couldn't agree more. High five.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

I agree. I hope each movie can stand on it's own (the end of the second will probably be a cliffhanger to the third a la Pirates 2) but for JP4 it'd have to be a self-contained movie for people to want to be a success. Like pretty much every harry potter movie (except for 6, really) gets wrapped up nice enough at the end. Saying "see you in 6 years for the end of the story" is a real slap in the face.

OK last digression, but I hope it follows the self-contained but overarching plotline like Star Wars IV-VI did. Each movie is pretty much self-contained but follow a massive storyline, each with it's own progression. Sure the end of 5 paves the way for 6 but some plot threads had developments
    (Leia and Han, Luke learning to be a jedi and his confrontation with Vader, plight of the rebellion, the emperor)
    and we're left satisfied at the end of the movie, as I did with Pirates 2.

Funny 'cos I was thinking of The Empire Strikes Back been a good example of a middle movie working well for the very reasons you pointed out, but Pirates 2 is actually my example (in my mind anyway) of what I had said previously, of it not being a movie (a horrible mess IMO) but a lead in to Pirates 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The first film is still one of my favourite films of all time. I think its the ultimate popcorn movie.

Since its a complete reboot I couldn't care less what they do and who knows they might surprise us all!

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The guy who directed 3 will be directing 4. Thats reason enough for me to wait for the DVD and rent it not buy it!

Michael Chricton(RIP) will not be involved in this obviously. Steven Spielberg will not be involved. This is, like the 3rd movie, a money making exercise.

No thanks.

opr wrote: »
    The first film is still one of my favourite films of all time. I think its the ultimate popcorn movie.

Since its a complete reboot I couldn't care less what they do and who knows they might surprise us all!

Opr

What is this sudden fascination with Reboots?

The first 2 were very successful(Batman and Bond), but like we have heard Spiderman 4 is going to be a reboot - after 3 movies! JP a reboot after 3 movies! It stinks of greed and a lack of imagination.

There are hundreds of movies that have not been made yet, which could be, and instead they just churn remakes and reboots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It would be good if they went for a very dark tone with the series, as in not suitable for kids. Any kids(myself included) who watched the original trilogy will be over 18 now and it makes sense to cater for this audience. If they try and capture a new generation of viewers it will probably fall flat on its ass ala Alien vs Predator, Terminator Salvation etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

It would be good if they went for a very dark tone with the series, as in not suitable for kids. Any kids(myself included) who watched the original trilogy will be over 18 now and it makes sense to cater for this audience. If they try and capture a new generation of viewers it will probably fall flat on its ass ala Alien vs Predator, Terminator Salvation etc

the new AVP went so dark, you could barely see what was going on :pac:

Yeah but over 18's are unlikely to buy millions of toy Dinosaurs, are they? Thats about half the films revenue right there.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    What is this sudden fascination with Reboots?

The first 2 were very successful(Batman and Bond), but like we have heard Spiderman 4 is going to be a reboot - after 3 movies! JP a reboot after 3 movies! It stinks of greed and a lack of imagination.

There are hundreds of movies that have not been made yet, which could be, and instead they just churn remakes and reboots.

I reckon it's that original (blockbuster) movies are hard to come by. It's much easier to write a new story with a pre-existing backstory. Plus fans of the previous films will check it out. Like films that are made out of popular books, it's a safer bet (to rake in the cash) to build upon solid foundations - films that are proven to have made money before.

Maybe everything has been done really well already, and originality is now just plucking characters, renaming them and repackaging them in a different world. Kinda makes me sad, actually.

I need to watch different genres of films lol.

syklops wrote: »
    The guy who directed 3 will be directing 4. Thats reason enough for me to wait for the DVD and rent it not buy it!

Michael Chricton(RIP) will not be involved in this obviously. Steven Spielberg will not be involved. This is, like the 3rd movie, a money making exercise.

No thanks.

Really? Oh man. That makes me a sad panda (lol) Who knows. Maybe they'll come up with something good. It all starts with a great script. They really should go the route of family-friendly entertainment...it's not necessarily a bad thing (as JP1 was a family film, it was amazing -- even watching it a few months ago it was still AWESOME)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

jaykhunter wrote:
    (as JP1 was a family film, it was amazing -- even watching it a few months ago it was still AWESOME)

It is. I've seen criticism that says it was only successful because of the (then) superior SFX which is nonsense, it just happens to be an example of a movie that knows how to use CGI: sparingly and only when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

*yawn*

Even JP 2 was pushing the idea a bit too far. Top CGI and naff storylines could be the order of the day here. The introduction of the T-Rex in JP 1 still looks brilliant because it was a clever mix of CGI (which still looks great in that scene) and excellent animatronics.

Oh, and they'll be in 3D, too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ridley wrote: »
    It is. I've seen criticism that says it was only successful because of the (then) superior SFX which is nonsense, it just happens to be an example of a movie that knows how to use CGI: sparingly and only when necessary.
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    *yawn*

Even JP 2 was pushing the idea a bit too far. Top CGI and naff storylines could be the order of the day here. The introduction of the T-Rex in JP 1 still looks brilliant because it was a clever mix of CGI (which still looks great in that scene) and excellent animatronics.

Nail on the head gentlemen. That was the great strenght of the first Jurassic Park film (same could be said for the second, perhaps not so much for the third), the seamless blend between CGI and more traditional special effects styles.
    Unfortunately the recent death of Stan Winston suggests taht animatronics, puppetry etc. will not play a big part in these films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Lemme guess.. there's ANOTHER island...

Predictions are, "Return to Jurassic Park" The two kids having now inherited grandfather's billions, finance an expedition to go back to the island. In 3D.

Spielberg gets a royalty on admissions to universal parks due to the existance of the Jurassic Park elements of them (as well as merchandising etc), so it makes sense that they will produce these, it keeps the themepark & merchandise "live" (they closed the incredible BTTF ride because it wasn't relevent anymore).

Still go see it though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Leucifer

Will be interesting to see what they will do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I'm holding out for the Father Jack Directors Cut......with extra dinosaurs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

It dosnt matter what they do, nothing will ever beat the T-Rex standing on that jeep and ripping the tire off.....well maybe the Raptor shadow and the jelly scene.........or maybe the T-Rex Vs the Raptors......or maybe the T-Rex chasing the jeep.......or the T-Rex bursting through the trees and ambushing the Gallopasauresse..(running dinosaurs),

Wheres my dvd copy......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Has anyone been to the Jurassic Park,erm, park in Universal Studios? was there in 2008, twas awesome, the visitors centre is just like the movie, even with the dino skeleton structure and windy stairs, and the ride itself is great, i had no idea the drop was so bloody steep at the end, as if the T-Rex coming out of the wall wasnt enough then you plummet down a bloody hill into water, fun though :D I really wanted to ride the Pteradon flyer thing, its a suspended ride over the park and you just take in the view, its only for kids though, bah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've a feeling it'll be like the Star Wars (new) trilogy. Same idea but will be executed all wrong.

Having said that, I'll still see it though.

Advertisement