Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40 euro for a scarf?

Options
  • 13-01-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Ouch... just discovered that the official TCD undergraduate scarf (as found in the SU shop) can be had for the princely sum of 40 euro (-10% for those with a current student card).

Not that I think we shouldn't pay a premium for wearing college colours (of course the UCD-ians get a scarf for free) but 40-36 euro compared to 3 euro for a nice Dunnes scarf seems just a tad expensive (the materials used don't feel as nice as the Dunnes one either nor is it cashmere etc. ;) )

I think I'll just stick with my TCD hat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

May I be the first to point out that it's not a scarf, it's a scorf.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

Start standing outside the exam hall during Commencements and ask people can you have their undergraduate scorf when they come out.

Just wear your cloak instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

It's the price you pay to be a winner.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Ouch... just discovered that the official TCD undergraduate scarf (as found in the SU shop) can be had for the princely sum of 40 euro (-10% for those with a current student card).

Not that I think we shouldn't pay a premium for wearing college colours (of course the UCD-ians get a scarf for free) but 40-36 euro compared to 3 euro for a nice Dunnes scarf seems just a tad expensive (the materials used don't feel as nice as the Dunnes one either nor is it cashmere etc. ;) )

I think I'll just stick with my TCD hat.
    Just be a hack. I hear the CSC give them all free scarfs. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I stand corrected on the scorf ;) (actually I don't find them that posh...it does keep your neck nice and warm). Do you prefer Parisian knot or the simple "over the shoulder" look? :P

I suppose that this post was more of one that expresses surprise that the cost of being visibly proud of your university and wanting to wear an item that displays that is so expensive (having spent last year in the US where they breed loyalty into you...in order to drain you of alumni donations in the future). Perhaps not a fair comparison as the US are private uni's that rely on donations and private support.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I wouldn't even know what a Trinity scarf/hat/colours look like. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

you should have gone to UCD where they are given out free at the start of term

Overature wrote: »
    you should have gone to UCD where they are given out free at the start of term

Also have better library facilities. :)

Jonathan wrote: »
    Just be a hack. I hear the CSC give them all free scarfs. :pac:

Hmm, might look into that :P I'm in the DUCAC side of things...surely they get scarves too? :pac:

Larianne wrote: »

http://www.tcd.ie/Library/Shop/product.php?productID=1112

Graduate scarf costs 72 euro! :eek:

Now if a TCD cloak had cost that much... :D

• Advertisement

http://www.tcd.ie/Library/Shop/product.php?productID=1112

Graduate scarf costs 72 euro! :eek:

Now if a TCD cloak had cost that much... :D

Thanks. Don't think it would go with any of my outfits though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Rather manky colours if you ask me.
    Listed under school colours on wiki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Each of the different societies has their own scarf too. All can be found here :)http://acollegemiscellany.com/scarves/dublin/

Each of the different societies has their own scarf too. All can be found here :)http://acollegemiscellany.com/scarves/dublin/

Huh, just noticed that the club that I'm captain of has no official scarf colour... pink, lilac, pink methinks :D
    Jonathan wrote:
    Rather manky colours if you ask me.
    Listed under school colours on wiki.
    +1 - the red and light/dark blue seem to contrast and clash quite badly :/, kinda like purple and yellow ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 do.ob

Even within trinity (well the hamilton end anyway) you cannot wear a trinity scarf without most people thinking you are a tosser and rightly so.

do.ob wrote: »
    Even within trinity (well the hamilton end anyway) you cannot wear a trinity scarf without most people thinking you are a tosser and rightly so.

Ah but would our scientific friends even recognise what colours the Trinity scarf is? (I would guess that most Trinity students don't know the navy/blue/red combo as our official colours).

Unless you mean wearing a scarf in general...luckily I'm based out of the Arts Block where less people are going to judge scarf wearers as tossers ;) (and aren't all men [plus quite a few women] tossers by definition?) Or is that tosser talk? :P

It is not really just for the rugby heads??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

There was an article in Trinity News a couple of years ago (I think by Rorate Caeli?) mentioning that one of the Oxbridge academic wear makers has records of all Trinity scarves and can provide them on request. Might be cheaper.

As in you'd wear your college colours at a game? Distinguish you from the other team supporters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I'd get a DUAFC scarf (if they existed) for the 4 matches Rovers have against UCDD next year for the lulz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 do.ob

(and aren't all men [plus quite a few women] tossers by definition?)

Lol. Re-enforcing the (supposedly true) stereotype that most women don't really do it, or don't do it that often compared to men who all do it regularly without fail :D.

I guess there's a fine balance to be had between "being proud of your university and displaying its colours" and "being an arrogant, smug *tosser* about what university you go to". Of course I am not insinuating that rugby heads fall into the latter category (perhaps some would stereotypically put them there though).

But compared to say the Chinese university I've studied in, and the American university I was in last year. Trinity students tend to have less overt displays of their alma mater (be it in hoody, hat or scarf etc. form). But that's all beside the point of my original post, which is that I think it's pretty steep for Trinity to charge undergraduates 36 euro for a piece of dyed wool of a particular colour.

Of course it could just mean that the only people who want to buy the Trinity scarf are rich rugby heads from private schools to whom 36 euro is just 7 pints :pac:
    Kwekubo wrote: »
    There was an article in Trinity News a couple of years ago (I think by Rorate Caeli?) mentioning that one of the Oxbridge academic wear makers has records of all Trinity scarves and can provide them on request. Might be cheaper.

Thanks for the info - I think I'll just leave it. T'was a bit of a shock (I was expecting 20 euro max for the "privilege" of owning a DU scarf :P ) I think I remember reading that article a few years back actually.
    do.ob wrote: »
    Lol. Re-enforcing the (supposedly true) stereotype that most women don't really do it, or don't do it that often compared to men who all do it regularly without fail :D.

My friends (female and male) reliably inform me that, yes girls do "do it" but on a far less frequent basis (and some don't at all, but she was a hard-core Catholic from the States so quite understandable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

the perfect scorf for the trinity throw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2dQArTuqlo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

€40 for an undergrad scarf and €70 for a graduate one is extremely excessive. One must wonder how many students actually buy them, indeed if any buy them at all.

For fun I may just ask the SU what's the dealio with that...perhaps it's due to so few students buying it that the prices are pushed up? Does anyone know what it costs in other uni's (I do know UCD give it away for free during Christmas(?) ). Is it just Trinity that wants such a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Feck the scarf, if I had the money for this I would be buying it...:D
    I got my UCD scarf about three and a half years ago now, still wear because I'm too cheap to buy one but I saw there on a recent trip to Belfield that there is a scarf for each faculty. Don't know the price but I doubt it's €40 or €70. I'm going for an interview next month, I'm half tempted at buying a TCD tie.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

This conversation makes me feel mortified I actually went to Trinity.....ugh!

El Siglo wrote: »
    Feck the scarf, if I had the money for this I would be buying it...:D
    I got my UCD scarf about three and a half years ago now, still wear because I'm too cheap to buy one but I saw there on a recent trip to Belfield that there is a scarf for each faculty. Don't know the price but I doubt it's €40 or €70. I'm going for an interview next month, I'm half tempted at buying a TCD tie.:pac:

Rolled gold? But the most important question is whether it's an automatic or quartz movement ;) A good watch can be very expensive...just to put it into perspective the gold pocket watch costs less than two graduate scarves :eek:

You can get a dealextreme Waving Chairman Mao pocket watch for 6 euro delivered though ;) - with a 17 jewel automatic movement and all :pac:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21485 - keeps pretty accurate time :P
    sogg wrote: »
    This conversation makes me feel mortified I actually went to Trinity.....ugh!

Mortified because people want to purchase Trinity goods, aren't happy with their prices or the prices that Trinity charges for their branded merchandise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

I just found the old TN article I referred to earlier. It's on page nine.

Advertisement