Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird seed.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Here's a puzzle!

I put up a feeding block cage in the recent cold spell and filled it with a home-made block made up of suet, bird seed & peanuts, it wasn't long before it had been opened and the contents disappeared. After another attempt, the cage and its contents have disappeared and the bird table from which it was hanging have been knocked over. I reckon the culprit must have been a fox or dog as the table was well anchored to prevent it being knocked over by strong winds!

Just occurred to me, have heard some weird screeching recently and wonder whether it was a fox, or maybe could have been a barn owl, but I doubt that would have knocked the bird table over!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Just occurred to me, have heard some weird screeching recently and wonder whether it was a fox, or maybe could have been a barn owl, but I doubt that would have knocked the bird table over!

We heard screeching just before dawn recently and thought it was some sort of owl. It turned out to be a heron - didn't think they were active at night. You haven't been putting fish on your bird table have you ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

My feeding block with suet is getting opened up as well - it's hanging off a hook on the back garden wall, but today after putting it back together I saw a magpie nearly upside down clinging to the wall pecking at the cage to open it. Flew off as soon as I went to knock on the window - didn't know whether to be annoyed or impressed - will have to get a sturdier model.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

It can take a while for the birds to get use to a new feeder, as others have said. If you want to though, you could buy a few blocks of Frytex in the supermarket, melt it in a pot and stir in a load of the seed to make your own bird cakes. Put it into bun tins, yoghurt pots etc to set. If you put a loop of twine into it while soft you'll have something to hang it up with.

My wife made some of these to your recipe, and we had out first ever blackcap snacking on them this morning. You're not so dizzy ! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Oliverdog wrote: »
    My wife made some of these to your recipe, and we had out first ever blackcap snacking on them this morning. You're not so dizzy ! ;)

That's brilliant. The Frytex stinks up the kitchen a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

hi
    i have the opposite problem, the birds in my garden refuse to eat peanuts or fat balls, they will only eat seed, in any form, wild or otherwise. I've bought so many different feeders in the hope they'd eat the peanuts or fat balls but no chance so I'm back to buying seed
    very strange indeed

Orchids wrote: »
    hi
    i have the opposite problem, the birds in my garden refuse to eat peanuts or fat balls, they will only eat seed, in any form, wild or otherwise. I've bought so many different feeders in the hope they'd eat the peanuts or fat balls but no chance so I'm back to buying seed
    very strange indeed

What birds are you getting? What kind of area are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

hi Srameen
    thanks for replying, you'll have to excuse my ignorance but I've no idea what type of birds they are, there are small little ones with yellow tails, some with orange coloured feathers. I'm in Dundrum in Dublin

Cheers

Can I suggest you invest in a small guide to Irish (or British) Garden birds? There are many available, but a simple one would do to get started. If you have Chaffinches in the garden they will nearly always ground feed or use a bird table for seed but rarely use a nut feeder. This is true of many common garden birds. The Blue Tits, Great Tits, Greenfinches etc will go for Peanut feeders before using the ground supplied seeds. I suspect there are more ground feeders in your area than hanging peanut feeders. Leave a few nuts out and something may appear over time and then it will become a regular sight to have birds at your nut feeders. If nuts are out for a period of more than a month, freshen them up. Throw the old nuts on the ground for the other birds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Advertisement