Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superstar of the Week - Week 3 - AJ Styles

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

If I didn't before, I certainly will now.

edit: dream of a team of AJs, not discuss his hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

EdK wrote: »
    AJ Styles looks every bit a pro wrestler,are we really discussing haircuts now?,really?

I know the net may try to ignore it but there is a reason that WWE has always gone for a certain look and have limited their developmental to finding people who fit that look, in many ways it's the most important part of wrestling because for most people without a good look there is only so far they can go. AJ could never make it to the top of WWE because of it for example and rightly so. He may look every bit a pro wrestler but he looks nothing like a champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

What does a champion look like? Many worthy champions over the years have had all kinds of looks it's alittle to do with it but it's not a major factor

WWE may as well invest in cloning they just want the same blandly dressed (ring gear) all American over and over again,is that supposed to be a good thing? A roster full of Ted DiBiases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

What does a champion look like? Many worthy champions over the years have had all kinds of looks it's alittle to do with it but it's not a major factor

WWE may as well invest in cloning they just want the same blandly dressed (ring gear) all American over and over again,is that supposed to be a good thing? A roster full of Ted DiBiases?

I can see it now, Survivor Series 2011

A Team of AJ Styles' Vs A Team of Ted Dibiases'. Special hands on guest referee, Tricity Bendix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I know the net may try to ignore it but there is a reason that WWE has always gone for a certain look and have limited their developmental to finding people who fit that look, in many ways it's the most important part of wrestling because for most people without a good look there is only so far they can go. AJ could never make it to the top of WWE because of it for example and rightly so. He may look every bit a pro wrestler but he looks nothing like a champion.

What is it about his look that makes him look nothing like a champion?

I never would have thought he had a "haircut". I always just thought he had "hair".

• Advertisement

Who was the last WWE champion that looked like a clone?

Who was the last WWE champion that looked like a clone?

I wasn't talking about champions you said they go after a certain look, if you look at the FCW roster page many of the guys look generic, I for one like the the variety in wrestling and find it boring when everyone looks and dresses the same eg Orton, Rhodes and DiBiase

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

i.php?a=impact-photos%2F2009-photos%2Fnovember&i=IMG_5585.jpg&s=650&cw=&ch=&q=100
    vs.

i.php?a=impact-photos%2F2009-photos%2Fnovember&i=IMG_5585.jpg&s=650&cw=&ch=&q=100
    vs.

You don't think a shock of gimger hair and having the only body in WWE thats not tanned within an inch of its life is a unique look? I get the overall point you're making about the generic WWE look but Seamus is a very poor example of this.

Without going total mancrush that belt looks like it's made for AJ Styles

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    You don't think a shock of gimger hair and having the only body in WWE thats not tanned within an inch of its life is a unique look? I get the overall point you're making about the generic WWE look but Seamus is a very poor example of this.

My point was the look of a champion rather than the generic point. The WWE cookie cutter debate is one for another day for me. Who looks a better champion?

Not sure he's still on the generic point I think he's moved onto who "looks like a champion" I could be wrong though

My point was the look of a champion rather than the generic point. The WWE cookie cutter debate is one for another day for me. Who looks a better champion?

You ask your run of the mill non smark wrestling fan and see what they say.

They'll look at AJ and unfortunately see a midget, but they'll look at Seamus and see a heavyweight whos got a great build and unique look.

To be honest if we're to judge them both by look alone I'd pick Seamus as well, if I knew nothing else about their wrestling skills.

You ask your run of the mill non smark wrestling fan and see what they say.

They'll look at AJ and unfortunately see a midget, but they'll look at Seamus and see a heavyweight whos got a great build and unique look.

To be honest if we're to judge them both by look alone I'd pick Seamus as well, if I knew nothing else about their wrestling skills.

So your saying the average American would pick Sheamus if they were put side by side?

Personally I'd rather see a guy I can relate with who can go with the best,someone with skills in the 5'10 to 6'1 bracket, I guess that's why my favourite wrestlers are Bret,Shawn,Owen Hart,Jake Roberts,Curt Hennig etc

So your saying the average American would pick Sheamus if they were put side by side?

If you're asking them who looks more like a wrestling champion then yes. Seamus would win for his comparatively large size alone IMO, remember the average wrestling fan in America unfortunately is conditioned into thinking a larger build and muscle mass is a good thing, whereas cruiserweights have rarely if ever been treated as anything other than a joke by WWE (with the obvious exception of Rey).

Personally I'd rather see a guy I can relate with who can go with the best,someone with skills in the 5'10 to 6'1 bracket, I guess that's why my favourite wrestlers are Bret,Shawn,Owen Hart,Jake Roberts,Curt Hennig etc

What you look for as a smart wrestling fan and what the ordinary non smart wrestling fan look for in a wrestler couldn't be further apart though in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yes they would, did you see sheamus eye mike tyson the other night, sheamus actually looked like he could compete with tyson if it came to a street fight, imagine aj next to tyson

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

jakes a legit 6'5 (or at least was at one time), funny thing is he was taller than hulk hogan in the 80s when they billed the hulkster at 6'9 lol

What you look for as a smart wrestling fan and what the ordinary non smart wrestling fan look for in a wrestler couldn't be further apart though in fairness.

I'm just being honest, unfortunately the best looking wrestlers in the sterotyped sense of being 6'6 and having alot of muscle mass often lack the skills to go with the physique, put it this way I don't care relatively what you look like as long as you can actually wrestle, there is a long list of guys in wrestling who cashed alot of cheques off look alone and frankly that's bull****

just my thoughts I think I'll bow out gracefully now

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    jakes a legit 6'5 (or at least was at one time), funny thing is he was taller than hulk hogan in the 80s when they billed the hulkster at 6'9 lol

Yeah and Hennig is 6'3 but you know what I'm getting at lol

I'm just being honest, unfortunately the best looking wrestlers in the sterotyped sense of being 6'6 and having alot of muscle mass often lack the skills to go with the physique, put it this way I don't care relatively what you look like as long as you can actually wrestle, there is a long list of guys in wrestling who cashed alot of cheques off look alone and frankly that's bull****

just my thoughts I think I'll bow out gracefully now

Don't get me wrong EdK bai, I'm in total agreement with yourself as to what I prefer to see in a wrestler.

I just think your average non-smark WWE fan has been conditioned to think differently, sadly.

Yeah it's unfortunate but that's the way it is and I don't see it changing anytime soon, I'll stick to my own criteria though otherwise I'd have stopped watching along time ago

Don't get me wrong EdK bai, I'm in total agreement with yourself as to what I prefer to see in a wrestler.

I just think your average non-smark WWE fan has been conditioned to think differently, sadly.

Ah I know,there's no hassle I'm just forseeing the point going around in circles to be honest,everyone has a different idea,no harm there either though

The thing is that you could have Jamie Noble in the exact same pose and nobody would notice. Fla was right on the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

The best in TNA

Advertisement