Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps3 and small claims court

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Slick50 wrote: »
    What's the story noodler, have you a vested interest in people not insisting on there consumer rights. You seem aghast at yellowledbetter's success, a consistant standpoint running through your posts re: PS3s
    Congratulations yellowledbetter, I'm waiting for a response from the small claims court registrar, regarding my claim, submitted last monday.

Are you actually kidding me? I simply asked him how the retailer caved, was it with legal action or the threat of it?

So watch your mouth there pal, especially when you have been running around the forum for the last few weeks bawling to anybody who will listen about your broken PS3. Don't accuse me of having a vested interest.

Cheers.

EDIT: LOL at the vested interest and theres you starting YLOD "has it happened to you" threads just because it happened to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

noodler wrote: »
    Are you actually kidding me? I simply asked him how the retailer caved, was it with legal action or the threat of it?

So watch your mouth there pal, especially when you have been running around the forum for the last few weeks bawling to anybody who will listen about your broken PS3. Don't accuse me of having a vested interest.

Cheers.

EDIT: LOL at the vested interest and theres you starting YLOD "has it happened to you" threads just because it happened to you.
    Where did you see the accusation? "I simply asked". As for running around the forum, you have been covering a lot of ground yourself, championing the sony case, hence the question. And that is all it was, a question! LOL!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Noodler was asking what was in the letter yellowledbetter sent to give an indication of what it was that made the retailer do a complete 360 on the matter. If you stop jumping down his throat with accusations maybe he might get a response that you would have a vested interest in if you just got a YLOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

I simply downloaded a pretty standard complaints letter off the "Consumer Connect" website and filled in my details as required. I didnt threaten legal action in the letter but I made sure they knew I meant business by it.The manager of my local store faxed my letter to head office and it was brought to the attention of the company CEO who apparrently gave the go ahead for my replacement.Im guessing its not the first letter of this type they recieved and they did act pretty quickly on it.
    I called into the store 2 days ago with the letter I recieved and the manager asked me was I happy enough with the deal which naturally I was.He said when I bring in my broken machine he will take it apart in order to try get my MW2 game out of it,hopefully he will get it out but if not then I will push for a replacement game too which i think is perfectly reasonable.He said it will be a brand new machine as opposed to a refurb too but Il only believe that when I see it TBH.
    Im a bit disappointed that Il loose my game saves but any pictures I had on it are also on my laptop so no great loss there.

If anybody has any more questions/queries feel free to PM as I truly believe that people should push for their rights on this issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I simply downloaded a pretty standard complaints letter off the "Consumer Connect" website and filled in my details as required. I didnt threaten legal action in the letter but I made sure they knew I meant business by it.The manager of my local store faxed my letter to head office and it was brought to the attention of the company CEO who apparrently gave the go ahead for my replacement.Im guessing its not the first letter of this type they recieved and they did act pretty quickly on it.
    I called into the store 2 days ago with the letter I recieved and the manager asked me was I happy enough with the deal which naturally I was.He said when I bring in my broken machine he will take it apart in order to try get my MW2 game out of it,hopefully he will get it out but if not then I will push for a replacement game too which i think is perfectly reasonable.He said it will be a brand new machine as opposed to a refurb too but Il only believe that when I see it TBH.
    Im a bit disappointed that Il loose my game saves but any pictures I had on it are also on my laptop so no great loss there.

If anybody has any more questions/queries feel free to PM as I truly believe that people should push for their rights on this issue

Can you not transfer game saves?
    Honest question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Honest question
    AFAIK you can transfer some, but not all. If you press triangle on any of your game saves, you'll have a 'Copy' option for some, but others won't have it so it can't be copied from one machine to another

(At least I think that's true, I'm open to correction if wrong :))

Honest question

Given the fact that my PS3 only stays on for 2 or 3 seconds it makes copying my saves impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

can you not just remove the hard drive and put it in your new ps3?

Dont think so.My broken one is a launch day phat model whereas the replacement im getting is a slim so it phsyically wouldnt fit it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Given the fact that my PS3 only stays on for 2 or 3 seconds it makes copying my saves impossible.

Its a standard hdd. Buy an enclosure and plug it into your pc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dont think so.My broken one is a launch day phat model whereas the replacement im getting is a slim so it phsyically wouldnt fit it anyway

Don't both systems use the same standard HDD's just different capacities?

Maybe when they have the machine open in the shop, you could ask to keep the hard drive, at least it would give a chance to sort out your game saves later. If you could get it into another 60gb somewhere could you copy your saves etc. to a memory stick for transfer.
    Is there any chance you could post the text from the letter you got from xtravision head office, or perhaps wait till you have your new machine first.

Is there any chance you could post the text from the letter you got from xtravision head office, or perhaps wait till you have your new machine first.

What, like I asked him to do a few posts back when you started crying?

Ironic.

Ok noodler, I'm sorry if my question offended you. Perhaps I miss interprated the "tone" of your post that led to the question. I got this impression from your previous posts on this thread, like when you decided who was least entitled to a refund, or who was taking the piss for even thinking of looking for a refund. And later just stating that they weren't going to get one, or how much rental worth they had got out of their consoles before they packed in. But if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. It did make sense to ask for a look at the wording of the extravision letter. Let's get back on topic.

like when you decided who was least entitled to a refund, or who was taking the piss for even thinking of looking for a refund. And later just stating that they weren't going to get one, or how much rental worth they had got out of their consoles before they packed in.

Jesus talk about misrepresentation.

When I said asking for 600 euro back after 3 years because of a BC PS3 wasn't an option? I stand by it alright - would be very much up to the judge. Nevermind the figure, 3 years may well be decided as a judge as a reasonably amount of time for electronics to work.

If you have a specific issue in the future, you should use your words and try to forumalte a coherent argument rather than resort to some vague smear of vested interests.

Back on topic indeed.

Jesus talk about misrepresentation.

There is no misrepresentation pal,

Page 6 post 78 "no offence but I think you are the least likely to an entilement if it is a launch console"

Page 6 post 89 " I'm all for consumers rights but lets not start taking the piss"

Page 9 post 122 "I'm all for consumers rights but lets not start taking the piss"

Page 9 post 130 "you are not getting 640e back"

Page 10 post 137 "hell you want to be fair lets deduct 3yrs rent of a ps3 from the 640e that was spent on it"

Don't even bother responding , I'm not interested.

taking the piss for even thinking of looking for a refund.

Jesus, more misrepresentations.

Anyway......

SOMEBODY BROKE MY PLAYSTATION - WAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

baby-crying.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Jesus, more misrepresentations.

Anyway......

SOMEBODY BROKE MY PLAYSTATION - WAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

baby-crying.jpg

Where did you get my mugshot?!

lordlame wrote: »
    Where did you get my mugshot?!

I'd really rather not say..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

thebhoy wrote: »
    can you not just remove the hard drive and put it in your new ps3?

The harddrive is tied to whatever ps3 its installed into. Currently it cannot be accessed by another ps3, if you try, it'll ask to format the drive.

You also can't currently access files by mounting the drive in an external case, everything is stored in a proprietary sony format.

Saves can only be transfered by a system backup, system transfer or manually copying each save to external media, all of which require you to be able to have the system on for more than 2-3 seconds.

• Advertisement

Sorry guys but Id prefere to leave posting the letter i recieved from XtraVision till after I actually get my new machine.
    Hopefully by Thursday afternoon Il have it and Il then post both the letter I sent and the letter I recieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Sorry guys but Id prefere to leave posting the letter i recieved from XtraVision till after I actually get my new machine.
    Hopefully by Thursday afternoon Il have it and Il then post both the letter I sent and the letter I recieved.

Hi Yellow. Did you have a reciept through all this?

Yup I had a receipt through all this and I included a photocopy in my letter to XtraVision

Hi Yellow. Did you have a reciept through all this?
    If you can't find the reciept, a credit/debit card statement is good enough. If you are told it's not, ask them what they took the money for.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Quick update.
    I got a letter from head office of my retailer yesterday stating that their wil be a brand new 160GB Slim waiting for me in store next week,happy days.
    Just shows folks,if you do not ask then you will never recieve

Hi Yellowledbetter,

When you get your machine can you let me know if it is brand new or a refurb please?!

I have also reached an agreement with a retailer as my 40gb died (ylod) 2 days ago @2 yrs old. I too was offered a 160gb but it's not a slim it's a "fat" model. (don't think they make 160 slim)

I rang today to see if it was in, (head office and store manager had assured me it would be a new machine), however the bloke on the phone said "no refurbs had come in, ring on Monday to find out"!! I have emailed head office again to clarify that it is a new machine but have not heard anything back yet.

cheers :D

Got my replacement machine today.
    Its a refurbed 160GB Phat with only 2 USB ports and no card readers at all. Granted its not of equal spec to my one that died but its still a result IMO.Not sure if it has BC but TBH I never used PS2 games so its no biggy for me.
    Chances are Im gonna trade it in off a slim at some stage in the next few months anyway.
    Ive to go to work now so wont get a chance to try it out properly till later but at first power up its a hell of a lot quiter than my old one.The manager is gonna try get MW2 out of it tonight so hopefully he'l ring me tomorrow to tell me he got it out and its there waiting for me.

How's the refurb running for ya Yellowledbetter?? Did you get your game back?

disco girl wrote: »
    How's the refurb running for ya Yellowledbetter?? Did you get your game back?

Refurb running pretty well so far.Im still waiting for the manager to get back to me about my game but if he cant get it out of the machine I will be pushing for a new one.
    All in all the whole process was pretty painless and i have to say im impressed with the speed of Xtravisions response.I reckon theyre used to this kind of thing now and probably dont put up much resistance once they see people arent gonna go away.
    My advice to anyone with any kind of a problem with their machine is to go back to your retailer,knowing your rights and not prepared to take no for an answer. Chances are Il trade in my refurb for a slim in a couple of weeks anyway

Great stuff, hopefully they'll get the game out for you.

Did you get a warranty with the refurb machine??

We've got a delay from the retailer we're dealing with as the person in head office hasn't been in there since last Wednesday! We're holding out for refund/new ps3, as when we asked the shop manager was it a refurb or a new machine she insisted it was a "new" machine, so we are holding them to it!

• Advertisement

Your right to hold them to it.I was also told mine would be new,even when it was being handed to me the bloke said it was new til I pointed out the big pink sticker saying "this is a factory reconditioned unit" and he kinda stuttered a bit!!
    At the end of the day i got what i wanted which was a fully functionng PS3 so im happy enough really

Advertisement