Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Whiskey?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

I dont normally shop in Lidl, but I was just wondering does anybody know the nicest/cheapest Whiskey in Lidl. What's the best bang for the buck?

I've another post looking for the cheapest milk on another forum :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Aldi are doing a great blend at the moment - I think it's 24.99 - well worth it . Lidl do an Irish too - it's not great in my opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

shanel23 wrote: »
    Aldi are doing a great blend at the moment - I think it's 24.99 - well worth it . Lidl do an Irish too - it's not great in my opinion though.

24.99???

I bought a bottle of Bushmills in Dunnes 2 weeks ago for 16.99. I am sure ldi have one for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

Does seem a little high. But one of their blends is from Cooley Distellery who do make quite a few "premium" whiskeys. The Bushmills price was part of the Christmas price reductions. I've checked at the weekend and the all the regular Irish whiskeys (jameson, paddy, powers, bushmills) seem to be back to around €24. And the 12-year old versions are back to around €36.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Yeah, anyone can call their whiskey "premium" by typing it on the label. That said, there are quite a few cheap whiskeys that are also cheap - and Cooley make good whiskey.

I heard the Aldi ones are supposed to be quite good - the blend and the single malt.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Was in superquinn tonight and if you want cheap whiskey they have Dunphy's for 19.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Usually if it's cheap it's cheap for a reason.

What do you want it for? If you want to mix it you may as well go for something cheap. Aldi's has had 4 different Irish whiskey's in their stores through september so not sure what they are still carrying. They have 2 in their Specially Selected range. A single malt for €28.99 which is not a bad whiskey but was reduced before christmas but if that is still the case I don't know. Then there is a blend for €24.99 which is sweet and toffee. Then Avoca which I think it is 18.99 but I do believe that they have another even cheaper that I cannot remember the name of.

The Dundalgan/Gold Shield from Lidl is rough enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Was in superquinn tonight and if you want cheap whiskey they have Dunphy's for 19.99

The Dunne's one is highly rated by Jim Murray. Cheap enough, I think. I thikn it's quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Midleton :pac:

Recently got a bottle of Aldi's "Avoca" blended Irish whiskey. And its great stuff, I find it very drinkable. Think it was only €16. Nice mellow flavour, not rough. Almost has a woody aged flavour.

I drink Irish and Scotch, single malts and blends, so I was surprised by this one.

donaghs wrote: »
    Recently got a bottle of Aldi's "Avoca" blended Irish whiskey. And its great stuff, I find it very drinkable. Think it was only €16. Nice mellow flavour, not rough. Almost has a woody aged flavour.

I drink Irish and Scotch, single malts and blends, so I was surprised by this one.

I bought a bottle lately too to give it a go ... have not opened it yet but will be interesting to see what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Dunphys is €15.99 in Fine Wines.

Aldi have Avoca Irish Whiskey for €15.99.

Saw an add recently for O'Briens. They're selling Jameson-12 for €26 allegedly. A good price methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

dunnes have dropped the price on redbrest its €38 now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

My local Superquinn has Paddy for 16.99 at the mo.

Not sure if its just my local though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Funkfield wrote: »
    My local Superquinn has Paddy for 16.99 at the mo.

Not sure if its just my local though.
    Paddy's awful harsh on the throat though. A few of the independent offies in Cork (O'Donovans & Fine Wines) have Bushmills back at E16.99 again!

grenache wrote: »
    Paddy's awful harsh on the throat though. A few of the independent offies in Cork (O'Donovans & Fine Wines) have Bushmills back at E16.99 again!

This is a bit of a misnomer and does not really hold true ... Paddy may not be the best of the Powers, Jameson, Paddy trio but it is not as harsh as people make out and has a lot of fans. Can't say I'm a fan but it is actually quite smooth and toffee sweet. However as a cheap alternative (offer price) this whiskey is perfect for mixing.

Whiskey is just like wine in ways ... it can really depend on the form your in or what you have been drinking or eating prior to it. If your in the wrong mood or you've eaten/or drank sweeter foods/drinks before your whiskey it can very easily come across as harsh no matter how good the whiskey is. That is why stout goes very well with whiskey, the bitterness of stout compliments and enhances the natural sweetness of whiskey. However it needs to be remembered that whiskeys can be dry which should not be confused with harsh.

However that is not to say it will not suit a persons palate either. Trial an error is the only way to find a whiskey that suits you. But if you get into whiskey there are very few whiskeys that you will dislike just some you will like much more than others ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

keep an eye out in dunnes, picked up tullamore dew, with 2 glasses for 17 or 18 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭horse7

keep an eye out in dunnes, picked up tullamore dew, with 2 glasses for 17 or 18 euro.

Any good prices for paddy at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

donaghs wrote: »
    Saw an add recently for O'Briens. They're selling Jameson-12 for €26 allegedly. A good price methinks.

Link! Link!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I didn't really like the Lidl cheap blends, but I've found the Clontarf one sold in Aldi to be drinkable - it's fine for making hot whiskeys, and it's okay straight when everything else has run out.

Urrr... zombie thread

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Link! Link!

5 years ago. Good few euro on duty and 2% on VAT since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

ah, didnt realize it was a zombie thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Western Gold in Lidl is around 16 Euro for 70cl and it's decent IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Link! Link!

That post was from over 5 years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

In before the Locke's!
    /top whiskey bantz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

That post was from over 5 years ago.

It does serve as a handy reminder of how much whiskey has gone up in price in that 5 years. One poster mentioned Jameson for 16 euros in Dunnes. In the past 2 years I've not seen it below 24 in Dunnes and that was only a couple of times. And now they want to make alcohol even more expensive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Aldis Clontarf is quite nice at 18.50 a bottle, one of my favourites at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

syklops wrote: »
    It does serve as a handy reminder of how much whiskey has gone up in price in that 5 years. One poster mentioned Jameson for 16 euros in Dunnes. In the past 2 years I've not seen it below 24 in Dunnes and that was only a couple of times. And now they want to make alcohol even more expensive.

It was €18 in eurospar at Christmas, and €20 in supervalu. The deals from the start of this thread were pre Christmas deals also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Whiskey all year round in aldi for 14.99

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

syklops wrote: »

There's maybe €2.50 in duty and another 2% on the whole price since then - the rest of the price inflation is due to currency rates and in some cases supply pressure although that's easing now.

The loss-leader prices (which the €16 was) haven't been hit that badly but unfortunately its the regular prices on medium range stuff that have been hammered. A €30 blended branded Scotch is now over €40 easily, maybe €35 on offer when it was maybe €28 on offer 5 years ago.

Advertisement