Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think having a belief and obeying the rules make you less 'human' and ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Well, if you mean "knowledge" simply as something that can be known, then yes, the knowledge of God's existence, as well as knowledge about anything, is outside of God. I would say God is the source of all knowledge only because He knows all things, but I can forego that claim.
    God is the source of truth though, because He has knowlege of all things.

How does that make him the source of truth though?

If God knows something is true (for example he knows that the statement "God exists" is true because he is aware of his own existence), how does that make him the source of that truth?

The "source" (and I think that is a bad word, to me truth has no source) is the fact that he exists. That is a property of reality. It really has nothing to do with God. You could say reality exists is a true statement as well.

So, atheists don't see prostitution as "immoral" if both parties want the act to occur?
    What about adultery, cheating on a test, or taking a bribe?
    While I think the view on prostitution is an over simplisation (harm can occur to someone through an event they want to happen, and it is an interesting argument as to what role the State has in protecting people from themselves), the next set of examples you give are not the same, since they are examples where there is direct harm to someone who does not wish the act to occur.

For example taking a bribe is taking a bribe precisely because it is not the wish of the people who put you in the role of responsibility you are in.

If they had it wouldn't be taking a bribe, it would be just getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

wolfsbane wrote: »
    Sam Vimes said:

Not without God being real. If He is as He says, then doing good is rational because:
    1. it pleases the One whom we love;
    2. is the right thing to do;
    3. it brings eternal reward.
    It pleases the one whom we love whether god exists or not and can that not be a good thing to do unless god says so? If god didn't exist would you stop doing things to please your loved ones?

Oh and doing something for eternal reward is not moral, it’s selfish.
    True believers will not.
    That’s called a no true Scotsman fallacy. You can keep a 100% success rate for moral behaviour if you just disown members once they break the rules.

Agreed. But one day we will be. :)

But I agree that many religionists have no more morality than the moral secularist. Their religion is in name only.
    So until the day that all religious people actually follow the rules willingly all these arguments about the wonder of objective morality are irrelevant
    My point in this thread has not been the effectiveness of objective morality. It has been to show the irrationality of atheists claiming any action is good or evil in itself.
    Your idea of morality is an objective law that exists independent of humans and that is given to us by a divine being. We of course cannot claim that but we don’t view morality that way. Morality is about how human beings treat each other and I don’t need a god to tell me that every sane person on the planet wants to be alive so it’s better for everyone if we make murder illegal.

Certainly, especially as he does not believe my assertion about it being wrong. If he did, it would give more restraint to him than otherwise.
    I only wish that were true.
    Absolute certainty is not needed. All of us live with taking risks daily - otherwise we would never leave the house. Having an acceptable risk/reward ratio is what counts.
    That’s absolutely true, if it wasn’t no one would ever do anything to harm anyone else. The fact remains that kindness and oppression are not alike in any world because the latter forces you to work out the risk/reward ratio. In any world, hurting others is a risk to yourself.
    Indeed, telling them there will be reprisals is generally more effective than merely telling them it is wrong. But if we can persuade them that being wrong makes the reprisals eternal - then substantial behaviour modification can be expected.
    And this is what it all boils down to. It’s not that atheists have no rational basis for saying something is right or wrong, we can tell someone that something is wrong just as easily as a religious person simply by pointing out that we don’t want it done to us and that the perpetrator wouldn’t want it done to themselves or anyone they love. The only difference is that we don’t have a big muscley guy called god standing behind us forcing him to listen to us. We don’t have a book that threatens eternal torture if they don’t listen to us. You don’t try to convince someone not to do something by appealing to their sense of morality and pointing out that it’s wrong, you try to scare them into not doing it by appealing to their sense of fear and telling them they’ll be punished. Sorry wolfsbane but that’s not morality, that’s toeing the line out of fear.

Most effective of all is for them to fall in love with the Lawgiver - that motivates an earnest desire to keep His laws at all times. We do not always succeed in keeping them, but we pick ourselves up and try again.
    Again, I only wish that were true.
    We have been born again, made new creatures, given a new nature - so we will be marked by marching to a different moral drum. If our conduct is no better than our heathen/atheist neighbours, then we are deluding ourselves.
    Let me tell you wolfsbane that you would have an extremely difficult time behaving any more morally than myself or any atheist I know. The only way you’re deluding yourself is thinking that an atheist is any more prone to immoral behaviour than you. Good people do good things and bad people do bad things completely independent of religion

So, atheists don't see prostitution as "immoral" if both parties want the act to occur?
    What about adultery, cheating on a test, or taking a bribe?

Prostitution is a business deal between two consenting adults. It can involve a woman who is railroaded into it and is essentially being forced and that would be "immoral" but that's not necessarily the case. Anything can cause problems if it's not done right. We have over 300 road deaths a year but we still don't talk about banning cars. If a woman wants to have sex and be paid for it I see no inherent problem with that. Why should I?

On the other hand adultery is a betrayal of the trust of the person you are supposed to love the most. Whether they find out about it or not you are betraying them.

Cheating on a test unfairly places you above others who are more deserving of the place you have taken.

taking a bribe betrays the trust of the people who placed you in your position, whether they find out or not and it means you're not doing your job to the best of your ability which can negatively effect the lives of others.

The difference between prostitution and and the other things is that with prostitution there isn't necessarily a victim, in all of the other cases you are necessarily harming others for your own benefit. The question to be asked is: if no one is harmed by something, why on earth would you view it as wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Sorry for only replying to this now.
    Wicknight wrote: »
    Most Christians I understand believe that God can only do what is logical, ie he cannot make a rock he can't move or he cannot kill himself, or he cannot act in a way other than his own nature.

This implies that the rules of logic, including the concepts of true or false, are above even God.

It might imply that if you want it to, specifically if you are arguing from a position that God is not God. However, it is far simpler to say that logical consistency is a property of God's nature, and you can't separate God from his nature without getting rid of God. Just like I can't separate you from your mind without destroying you.

Given that you aren't contesting God's existence in this thread, I'm not sure how you can conceive of anything existing without God, be it matter, rules, laws, truths or falsehoods. But if you are still telling me that God is subject to something above him then you are no closer to solving the mystery. The result of remaking God into god is that you are back to informing us that it's turtles all the way down.
    If God is eternal and has always existed then so has the reality he exists in, and so does the logical laws of said reality. They just always were there in the same way God has just always been here, and as such have no source, no creation. They just are.

What's your point? You seem to imply that God's reality and his logical consistency are something apart from him. I don't accept this. Nothing exists above God because there was no before God. Logic and God's reality (what ever that is) never not existed because they are essential properties of God. If God always existed then things like logical consistency, truth and his existence are necessity properties of God. Perhaps you need to familiarise yourself with what it is Christianity teaches about God's nature.
    Both yourself and Soul Winner are defining God in a higher set than "everything". Which doesn't make sense. If God exists he is included in the set of things that exist. The superset of things that exists is everything that exists including God.

While not intending to imply any form of pantheism, I'm saying that God is literally the super-set (and things like truth and existence are necessary properties of his nature, not things that stand over him). What a naturalist like yourself would consider to be everything (this universe) is actually only a sub-set of God.
    That would be God defining himself into existence, which doesn't make sense because to do that he must already exist.

It's not God defining himself into existence because God by definition has always existed. God necessarily exists - that is one of his properties.

• Advertisement

It might imply that if you want it to, specifically if you are arguing from a position that God is not God. However, it is far simpler to say that logical consistency is a property of God's nature, and you can't separate God from his nature without getting rid of God.

And is that not a rule?

Surely the rule "You cannot separate God from his nature without getting rid of God" is a rule above God, a rule he is bound to?

Ultimately God exists in a reality where certain things hold, like what you just said. And they just are, they exist as properties of reality and bind God as much as anything else since he exists in reality.
    Given that you aren't contesting God's existence in this thread, I'm not sure how you can conceive of anything existing without God, be it matter, rules, laws, truths or falsehoods.
    Why?

It is only an assertion on the part of Christians that all these things come from God. That doesn't mean such an assertion logically holds, as pointed out above.
    The result of remaking God into god is that you are back to informing us that it's turtles all the way down.

Possibly, but simply because that conclusion is both inescapable and unsatisfying isn't really may concern.

You should try being an atheist, we have no freaking clue what or where the universe came from :p
    What's your point?
    My point is that logic and truth cannot come from God since God is confined by logic himself (as you point out above).

God exists in a reality where certain truths hold, such as the statement "God exists"

God cannot decide certain truths about reality. For example God cannot decide that "God exists" is a false statement, because to do so he must exist in the first place, thus making the statement true.

God does not control or decide the truth value of the statement "God exists", that is determined by the properties of the reality he finds himself in.

Therefore truth cannot be sourced from God.

If you theists insist in a source for everything then someone must have decided that God exists, thus making the statement true. But as you rightly point out, that is trutles all the way down.

No one said this was going to be easy :)
    While not intending to imply any form of pantheism, I'm saying that God is literally the super-set (and things like truth and existence are necessary properties of his nature, not things that stand over him). What a naturalist like yourself would consider to be everything (this universe) is actually only a sub-set of God.

I'm perfectly happy with the idea of everything including the universe and much more. But that still does not get around the issue highlighted above.

God exists in some reality. You can say that God is that reality, and inhabits every part of is. But the points highlighted above still stand.

There are properties of this reality, properties of God if you consider God to be reality, that are determined independently of God, such as the truth of God's existence.

Therefore the ultimately point is that they cannot be sourced from God.
    It's not God defining himself into existence because God by definition has always existed.
    Er, do you see what you just did there :P

Anyway, my point was that God cannot decide he will exist. To claim he can is just pointless definitions, silly semantics.

By virtue of being able to be around to make such a decision he already exists.

God just exists, if we assert that nothing made God.

That fact, that truth, though does not come from God because God didn't decide it, he couldn't have. And thus truth, ultimate truth, does not come from God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Sam Vimes said:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    Not without God being real. If He is as He says, then doing good is rational because:
    1. it pleases the One whom we love;
    2. is the right thing to do;
    3. it brings eternal reward.

It pleases the one whom we love whether god exists or not
    By One, I meant God.
    and can that not be a good thing to do unless god says so?
    Many things would please others, and yet be evil. Robbing a bank and taking a world cruise on the proceeds might please a lover. Only what is actually moral is good. Subjective morality is no test of that.
    If god didn't exist would you stop doing things to please your loved ones?
    Probably not, for I would find it easier to feed my emotional needs. That does not make it moral/immoral - just me pleasing myself.
    Oh and doing something for eternal reward is not moral, it’s selfish.
    The reward is indeed 'selfish', if a wise regard for one's safety can be so described. But it is not the only motive for moral behaviour, as I explained. Love for God and for His law is above that.
    Quote:
    True believers will not.

That’s called a no true Scotsman fallacy. You can keep a 100% success rate for moral behaviour if you just disown members once they break the rules.
    I did not say Christians had a 100% moral record. I said they are characterised by morality - generally holy, but not perfectly so. They will fall into sins, even big ones sometimes, but sin will not be dominant in their lives.

The tree will be known by its fruit, to use Christ's analogy.
    Quote:
    Agreed. But one day we will be.

But I agree that many religionists have no more morality than the moral secularist. Their religion is in name only.

So until the day that all religious people actually follow the rules willingly all these arguments about the wonder of objective morality are irrelevant
    You mistake the argument (again). It is not about the effectiveness of objective and subjective moralities, but about the irrationality of atheists saying anything is actually immoral (as opposed to it being against someone's morality).
    Quote:
    My point in this thread has not been the effectiveness of objective morality. It has been to show the irrationality of atheists claiming any action is good or evil in itself.

Your idea of morality is an objective law that exists independent of humans and that is given to us by a divine being.
    Correct.
    We of course cannot claim that but we don’t view morality that way. Morality is about how human beings treat each other and I don’t need a god to tell me that every sane person on the planet wants to be alive so it’s better for everyone if we make murder illegal.
    It may or may not be better for everyone (the strong might like to take their chances), but that does not make murder actually evil. If materialism is true, there is no significance to any act. Murder is certainly bad in the opinion of most, but that doesn't make it so.
    Quote:
    Certainly, especially as he does not believe my assertion about it being wrong. If he did, it would give more restraint to him than otherwise.

I only wish that were true.
    I think that can be objectively tested. I'm sure it has been, but I'm not familiar with the science. Do you really think that those who believe an particular act is wicked are in no way restrained from it? It doesn't even have to BE wicked, just as long as the person thinks it is. For example, some think eating pork is wicked. Are they just as likely to eat pork as you or I? I'm happy to eat it every day (but don't, out of respect for my physical health). The person with the ban on pork may well at some time, or even from time to time, fall to the tempting smell of frying bacon and act against his conscience. But the belief is a strong restraint for most of his life.
    Quote:
    Absolute certainty is not needed. All of us live with taking risks daily - otherwise we would never leave the house. Having an acceptable risk/reward ratio is what counts.

That’s absolutely true, if it wasn’t no one would ever do anything to harm anyone else. The fact remains that kindness and oppression are not alike in any world because the latter forces you to work out the risk/reward ratio. In any world, hurting others is a risk to yourself.
    They are the same in moral significance, if materialism is true. Not in practical effect, of course.
    Quote:
    Indeed, telling them there will be reprisals is generally more effective than merely telling them it is wrong. But if we can persuade them that being wrong makes the reprisals eternal - then substantial behaviour modification can be expected.

And this is what it all boils down to. It’s not that atheists have no rational basis for saying something is right or wrong, we can tell someone that something is wrong just as easily as a religious person simply by pointing out that we don’t want it done to us and that the perpetrator wouldn’t want it done to themselves or anyone they love.
    That doesn't prove it is evil. What significance have our feelings in a materialist universe? They are only a perception caused by chemical reactions.
    The only difference is that we don’t have a big muscley guy called god standing behind us forcing him to listen to us. We don’t have a book that threatens eternal torture if they don’t listen to us.
    Yes, that's right. You only have your feelings. But if another happens not to share those feelings, or has stronger ones that set aside his compassion, who is to say he is actually immoral?
    You don’t try to convince someone not to do something by appealing to their sense of morality and pointing out that it’s wrong,
    Actually, we do.
    you try to scare them into not doing it by appealing to their sense of fear and telling them they’ll be punished.
    We do that too.

And last I heard, most atheists did likewise. Hence the penal codes in every society I know, atheist and otherwise.
    Sorry wolfsbane but that’s not morality, that’s toeing the line out of fear.
    It is the enforcement of morality by fear.
    Quote:
    Most effective of all is for them to fall in love with the Lawgiver - that motivates an earnest desire to keep His laws at all times. We do not always succeed in keeping them, but we pick ourselves up and try again.

Again, I only wish that were true.
    I have found it so for myself and for many others I know personally.
    Quote:
    We have been born again, made new creatures, given a new nature - so we will be marked by marching to a different moral drum. If our conduct is no better than our heathen/atheist neighbours, then we are deluding ourselves.

Let me tell you wolfsbane that you would have an extremely difficult time behaving any more morally than myself or any atheist I know. The only way you’re deluding yourself is thinking that an atheist is any more prone to immoral behaviour than you. Good people do good things and bad people do bad things completely independent of religion
    I can contrast my post-conversion behaviour with that before I was saved. A big difference. That's true for my Christian friends too. Of course, some lifestyles were pretty moral (at least outwardly) to begin with, and others were very vile. But for both sorts of Christians, their lifestyles have been morally changed.

Yes, 'good' people do good things and bad people bad. But good people who become Christians do even better, and bad people who become Christians stop doing bad things and start doing good things. Not perfectly, but markedly.

Atheists are more prone to immoral behaviour than Christians - for example, they may feel sexual freedom to sleep with other than their spouse. The restraint is missing, so sexual promiscuity is much more likely.

But if we take an act that both agree is immoral, then I also claim that the Christian is more likely to abstain than the atheist. All the atheist has to lose (assuming there is no civil penalty) is his self-respect in having violated his principles. The Christian has not only his self-respect to lose, but is aware of having dishonoured the God he loves and also knows that sin brings God's chastisement.

Sam Vimes said:

By One, I meant God.

So you don't do anything for anyone just because you care about them?
    Many things would please others, and yet be evil. Robbing a bank and taking a world cruise on the proceeds might please a lover. Only what is actually moral is good. Subjective morality is no test of that.

Probably not, for I would find it easier to feed my emotional needs. That does not make it moral/immoral - just me pleasing myself.

The reward is indeed 'selfish', if a wise regard for one's safety can be so described. But it is not the only motive for moral behaviour, as I explained. Love for God and for His law is above that.

You mistake the argument (again). It is not about the effectiveness of objective and subjective moralities, but about the irrationality of atheists saying anything is actually immoral (as opposed to it being against someone's morality).

It may or may not be better for everyone (the strong might like to take their chances), but that does not make murder actually evil. If materialism is true, there is no significance to any act. Murder is certainly bad in the opinion of most, but that doesn't make it so.

They are the same in moral significance, if materialism is true. Not in practical effect, of course.

The problem here is that you view morality as something that exists independently of humans and inherently includes a god. By your definition it is indeed irrational for an atheist to say anything is right or wrong but my definition is not the same as yours. To an atheist, morality is about how people treat each other. There is no such thing as "actually wrong" in the way you mean it but that does not mean that we can't tell anyone that it's not ok to hurt other people and that there will be retaliation if they try. Maybe it would be better to eliminate confusion and call what I follow ethics. You say that if materialism is true right and wrong have the same moral significance but not the same practical effect. Well to an atheist all that matters is the practical effect
    I think that can be objectively tested. I'm sure it has been, but I'm not familiar with the science. Do you really think that those who believe an particular act is wicked are in no way restrained from it? It doesn't even have to BE wicked, just as long as the person thinks it is. For example, some think eating pork is wicked. Are they just as likely to eat pork as you or I? I'm happy to eat it every day (but don't, out of respect for my physical health). The person with the ban on pork may well at some time, or even from time to time, fall to the tempting smell of frying bacon and act against his conscience. But the belief is a strong restraint for most of his life.

We do that too.

And last I heard, most atheists did likewise. Hence the penal codes in every society I know, atheist and otherwise.

It is the enforcement of morality by fear.

I have found it so for myself and for many others I know personally.

I can contrast my post-conversion behaviour with that before I was saved. A big difference. That's true for my Christian friends too. Of course, some lifestyles were pretty moral (at least outwardly) to begin with, and others were very vile. But for both sorts of Christians, their lifestyles have been morally changed.

Yes, 'good' people do good things and bad people bad. But good people who become Christians do even better, and bad people who become Christians stop doing bad things and start doing good things. Not perfectly, but markedly.

Atheists are more prone to immoral behaviour than Christians - for example, they may feel sexual freedom to sleep with other than their spouse. The restraint is missing, so sexual promiscuity is much more likely.

But if we take an act that both agree is immoral, then I also claim that the Christian is more likely to abstain than the atheist. All the atheist has to lose (assuming there is no civil penalty) is his self-respect in having violated his principles. The Christian has not only his self-respect to lose, but is aware of having dishonoured the God he loves and also knows that sin brings God's chastisement.

Wolfsbane, I can say that in theory what you're saying makes perfect sense, this thinking is one of the main reasons why religion was thought up in the first place, but reality begs to differ. Of course since I'm dealing with a denier of evolution I recognise that there is little to be gained in pointing that out. The reality is that believers are just as likely to behave badly as atheists because human beings aren't perfect and as far as I'm concerned someone who needs the promise of reward and the threat of hell to behave like a good person isn't a good person. I think you'd be better off asking yourself why it is that atheists actually don't tend to behave any worse than believers even though your logic makes you think they should and maybe then you'll realise it's because your logic is flawed and that people do good things because they care about other people, not because they're afraid of hell

Sam Vimes said:
    Quote:
    By One, I meant God.

So you don't do anything for anyone just because you care about them?
    Sorry not to have replied till now.

No, not just because I care for them. I will do it because I care for them, but God's will must be the prime motivation.
    The problem here is that you view morality as something that exists independently of humans and inherently includes a god. By your definition it is indeed irrational for an atheist to say anything is right or wrong but my definition is not the same as yours. To an atheist, morality is about how people treat each other. There is no such thing as "actually wrong" in the way you mean it but that does not mean that we can't tell anyone that it's not ok to hurt other people and that there will be retaliation if they try. Maybe it would be better to eliminate confusion and call what I follow ethics. You say that if materialism is true right and wrong have the same moral significance but not the same practical effect. Well to an atheist all that matters is the practical effect
    OK, that seems a helpful perspective. The Atheist likes or dislikes the practical effects, but does not classify it as good or evil, moral or immoral. The Theist likes or dislikes the practical effects and recognises it as good or evil, moral or immoral.
    Wolfsbane, I can say that in theory what you're saying makes perfect sense, this thinking is one of the main reasons why religion was thought up in the first place, but reality begs to differ. Of course since I'm dealing with a denier of evolution I recognise that there is little to be gained in pointing that out. The reality is that believers are just as likely to behave badly as atheists because human beings aren't perfect and as far as I'm concerned someone who needs the promise of reward and the threat of hell to behave like a good person isn't a good person. I think you'd be better off asking yourself why it is that atheists actually don't tend to behave any worse than believers even though your logic makes you think they should and maybe then you'll realise it's because your logic is flawed and that people do good things because they care about other people, not because they're afraid of hell
    We have a problem in agreeing on what is 'behaving badly', so your assertion that atheists and Christians show no difference in behaviour needs to be closely examined.

For example, I'm sure you will agree that it is much more likely that an atheist will get drunk than a Christian; or bed every girl he dates. Why? Because one side holds this behaviour is at least not immoral, whether it is physically and emotionally advisable or not, and the other side holds it is sinful and offends the One they love.

But if we test them on things they both agree are 'behaving badly', the result will indeed be closer. The atheist will have his conscience and principles to overcome. The Christian will have this, but strongly enforced by the Spirit who will impress upon him the gravity of offending God and the consequences of doing so. It will not be a landslide verdict, for both will having self-justifying arguments going on in their minds - but I think I can safely say the Christian is less likely to behave badly in a given situation than an atheist.

Also, if a Christian doesn't care about people, but only fears hell, he is not a Christian.

Sam Vimes said:

Sorry not to have replied till now.

No, not just because I care for them. I will do it because I care for them, but God's will must be the prime motivation.

OK, that seems a helpful perspective. The Atheist likes or dislikes the practical effects, but does not classify it as good or evil, moral or immoral. The Theist likes or dislikes the practical effects and recognises it as good or evil, moral or immoral.

We have a problem in agreeing on what is 'behaving badly', so your assertion that atheists and Christians show no difference in behaviour needs to be closely examined.

For example, I'm sure you will agree that it is much more likely that an atheist will get drunk than a Christian; or bed every girl he dates. Why? Because one side holds this behaviour is at least not immoral, whether it is physically and emotionally advisable or not, and the other side holds it is sinful and offends the One they love.

But if we test them on things they both agree are 'behaving badly', the result will indeed be closer. The atheist will have his conscience and principles to overcome. The Christian will have this, but strongly enforced by the Spirit who will impress upon him the gravity of offending God and the consequences of doing so. It will not be a landslide verdict, for both will having self-justifying arguments going on in their minds - but I think I can safely say the Christian is less likely to behave badly in a given situation than an atheist.

Also, if a Christian doesn't care about people, but only fears hell, he is not a Christian.

No I wouldn't agree that a christian is less likely to get drunk or bed every girl he dates or that a christian is less likely to behave badly in any given situation. I can see why your beliefs would make you think that should be the case but I have never seen anything to suggest that it actually is the case in practice. I would say that it applies to some christians but equally some atheists. Seriously mate, you need to stop looking at the world the way your religious beliefs tell you it should be, ignoring everything that goes against that idea, and start looking at it the way it actually is. And then maybe ask yourself why the world does not appear as your religious beliefs tell you it should

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    No I wouldn't agree that a christian is less likely to get drunk or bed every girl he dates or that a christian is less likely to behave badly in any given situation. ...... Seriously mate, you need to stop looking at the world the way your religious beliefs tell you it should be, ignoring everything that goes against that idea, and start looking at it the way it actually is. And then maybe ask yourself why the world does not appear as your religious beliefs tell you it should

The irony is terrific.

PDN wrote: »
    The irony is terrific.

Indeed. Also I again feel compelled to comment on the invariably constructive and pleasant nature of your posts

Indeed. Also I again feel compelled to comment on the invariably constructive and pleasant nature of your posts

Yes, pointing stuff out often seems to have that effect on you.

Quite honestly, you do come across on these boards as being extremely dogmatic in your perception of the world. I can't remember you posting anything much that goes against the party line. So it was ironic to see you judging Wolfsbane.

Yes, pointing stuff out often seems to have that effect on you.

Quite honestly, you do come across on these boards as being extremely dogmatic in your perception of the world. I can't remember you posting anything much that goes against the party line. So it was ironic to see you judging Wolfsbane.

As far as I can see your definition of dogmatic, "the party line" and fundamentalist seems to largely mean "putting forward a different world view to PDN that isn't immediately changed when PDN gives his opinion and justifies it by insulting anyone who disagrees" so I wouldn't call it ironic personally. But each to their own.

As far as I can see your definition of dogmatic, "the party line" and fundamentalist seems to largely mean "putting forward a different world view to PDN that isn't immediately changed when PDN gives his opinion and justifies it by insulting anyone who disagrees" so I wouldn't call it ironic personally. But each to their own.
    Not at all. I think a diversity of opinions is actually very healthy.

I have a lot of respect for posters who, while disagreeing with others, are prepared to display some evidence of critical and independent thinking.

For example, when a Christian admits some of the failings in Christian practice, or is prepared to say that certain things in Church history reflect badly on Christians, then it comes across as a breath of fresh air. The same when an atheist admits that an atheist author made a mistake, or says to a theist, "Yes, you might have a point there."

Then you have other posters who invariably present arguments that follow a dogmatic line. That's not necessarily bad, but it does tend to make for rather predictable threads.

So, for example. we have several posters who can be guaranteed to cut or paste whatever the Catholic catechism or an apologetics website says. Wolfsbane will invariably present the Calvinist position. You will invariable follow the same lines of argument. That is why I found it ironic that you would criticise Wolfsbane for doing what you do yourself.

There are certain posters (eg Fanny Cradock or Malty T) where they post something and I find myself saying, "Wow! I never thought they would say that." Even Wicknight has surprised me on occasion. You and Wolsbane have never had that effect on me.

It's a simple, and I believe accurate, observation on posting styles - I don't know why you're trying to turn into a war by talking about insults or misrepresenting me as insulting anyone who disagrees with me. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

There are certain posters (eg Fanny Cradock or Malty T) where they post something and I find myself saying, "Wow! I never thought they would say that." Even Wicknight has surprised me on occasion.

Oh! I'm intrigued now!

Bit of friendly advice, its a trap, don't fall into it. :pac:

Bit of friendly advice, its a trap, don't fall into it. :pac:
    Thanks!

Thanks!

Only you PDN could take Sam shugging and saying "I wouldn't call it ironic personally. But each to their own."

into

"I don't know why you're trying to turn into a war"

A "war", really, that's what Sam is doing is it? :rolleyes:

And that is why we love you. Peace be with you.

[EDIT] oh dear, Sam fell for it [/EDIT]
    trap.jpg

Not at all. I think a diversity of opinions is actually very healthy.

I have a lot of respect for posters who, while disagreeing with others, are prepared to display some evidence of critical and independent thinking.

For example, when a Christian admits some of the failings in Christian practice, or is prepared to say that certain things in Church history reflect badly on Christians, then it comes across as a breath of fresh air. The same when an atheist admits that an atheist author made a mistake, or says to a theist, "Yes, you might have a point there."

Then you have other posters who invariably present arguments that follow a dogmatic line. That's not necessarily bad, but it does tend to make for rather predictable threads.

So, for example. we have several posters who can be guaranteed to cut or paste whatever the Catholic catechism or an apologetics website says. Wolfsbane will invariably present the Calvinist position. You will invariable follow the same lines of argument. That is why I found it ironic that you would criticise Wolfsbane for doing what you do yourself.

There are certain posters (eg Fanny Cradock or Malty T) where they post something and I find myself saying, "Wow! I never thought they would say that." Even Wicknight has surprised me on occasion. You and Wolsbane have never had that effect on me.

What I criticised wolfsbane for was looking at the world through christian coloured spectacles, ignoring things that disconfirmed his positions so that he can make statements like "I think I can safely say the Christian is less likely to behave badly in a given situation than an atheist" and, for example, dismiss evolution. If a position is logically consistent, rational and reasonable it is not dogamtic, fundamentalist or "toeing the party line" to hold it and it should not be particularly surprising or warranting of such derogatory terms being levelled if you happen to find that many people independently arrive at similar positions. If someone correctly points out a flaw in an argument/position of an atheist I will be more than happy to acknowledge it; despite your multiple claims to the contrary I care about what is true, not what confirms my position but the fact that I may not change my position after a theist gives what you personally consider to be a rebuttal of it does not make me dogmatic. I know it's helpful to brand someone as dogmatic for holding what you consider to be a “typical” atheist position in the face of what you consider to be a solid rebuttal but sometimes when a lot of people agree with each other it’s because that’s the position that would tend to be reached by someone approaching the problem rationally and not necessarily because they’re “toeing the party line”. A pertinent example of this is that sometimes when someone “won’t admit” that an atheist author made a mistake it is indeed because they’re a dogmatic fundamentalist but sometimes, just sometimes, it’s because the theist is actually building straw men for the purposes of branding the author as dishonest and the atheist is correctly telling him so.
    It's a simple, and I believe accurate, observation on posting styles - I don't know why you're trying to turn into a war by talking about insults or misrepresenting me as insulting anyone who disagrees with me. :confused:
    Yeah why would I ever interpret being branded as a dogmatic fundamentalist for holding what PDN considers typical atheist positions an insult :rolleyes:

And I’m not starting any wars, it was a simple, and I believe accurate, observation on your posting style. I wouldn’t say you insult everyone who disagrees with you but I did consider this post by MikeC101 a good summary of many interactions I’ve seen you have with people, and so did several others apparently:
    MikeC101 wrote: »
    Ah. I see. So your plan was :
    1. Make your point, giving your reasoning.
    2. Respond to anyone pointing out what they think are the flaws in your reasoning to with a world weary "Here we go again"
    3. Leave, sighing to yourself, with a snide dig about how the atheists really just want to whine to each other about how victimised they are, without you even bothering to attempt to address responses to you.

• Advertisement

[EDIT] oh dear, Sam fell for it [/EDIT]
    trap.jpg

Ah no I've said my piece now and any reply will be met with a suitably flippant dismissal followed by a leisurely exit :pac:

And I’m not starting any wars, it was a simple, and I believe accurate, observation on your posting style. I wouldn’t say you insult everyone who disagrees with you but I did consider this post by MikeC101 a good summary of many interactions I’ve seen you have with people, and so did several others apparently:

While groupthink can be impressive, we don't comment here on what people indulge in on other forums. A&A have their own moderating standards, and that is none of our business here.

I know it's helpful to brand someone as dogmatic for holding what you consider to be a “typical” atheist position in the face of what you consider to be a solid rebuttal but sometimes when a lot of people agree with each other it’s because that’s the position that would tend to be reached by someone approaching the problem rationally and not necessarily because they’re “toeing the party line”
    While groupthink can be impressive

<Suitably flippant dismissal>

<Leisurely exit
    >

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

While groupthink can be impressive, we don't comment here on what people indulge in on other forums. A&A have their own moderating standards, and that is none of our business here.

Except, it would seem from reading this thread, the kind of group think that co-incidentally happens to fall in line with what you already happen to believe.

Oh, and believing in the existence of a supernatural creator as defined by an unverifiable manuscript written hundreds of years ago, constantly revised and driven by partisan political agendas is not groupthink at all.

<Suitably flippant dismissal>

<Leisurely exit
    >

:pac:

I've no wish to get into a tit for tat argument.

I do try to be somebody who thinks outside the box and hopefully confounds people's expectations of how they think a stereotypical Christian thinks and behaves. That's just my opinion, as someone might say in their sig.

I had no wish to be insulting, and indeed many people would think that folks like yourself, Wolfsbane, or Stephentlig are more to be admired for your consistency in holding the line for your position and not deviating from it.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I must admit, though, that it was interesting that, without any conscious sense of irony, you responded by making comments about me and supporting those comments by noting that a good number of other atheists think the same way about me as you do. So, I guess that proves that you are an independent thinker. ;)

No I wouldn't agree that a christian is less likely to get drunk or bed every girl he dates or that a christian is less likely to behave badly in any given situation. I can see why your beliefs would make you think that should be the case but I have never seen anything to suggest that it actually is the case in practice. I would say that it applies to some christians but equally some atheists. Seriously mate, you need to stop looking at the world the way your religious beliefs tell you it should be, ignoring everything that goes against that idea, and start looking at it the way it actually is. And then maybe ask yourself why the world does not appear as your religious beliefs tell you it should
    From my direct observations of my family and friends, my neighbours and work-colleagues, I have obtained the evidence I alluded to. Most of my non-Christian family, friends, colleagues do not think drunkenness or sleeping with their dates is morally wrong. Some think it unwise, but not immoral.

All of the Christians known to me think drunkenness and sex outside marriage is immoral. Some have fallen into these sins on occasion, but none practice them.

Maybe our difference in observation comes from how we define Christian. If you mean one who has a vague belief in the Christian religion, more out of tradition than conviction, then you would see no difference - for those people are as godless as any atheist.

By Christian I mean the Biblical sense - one committed in heart to love and obey Jesus Christ.

So much for my leisurely exit.
    I've no wish to get into a tit for tat argument.
    Of course not, you just wish to say derogatory things about me
    I do try to be somebody who thinks outside the box and hopefully confounds people's expectations of how they think a stereotypical Christian thinks and behaves. That's just my opinion, as someone might say in their sig.

I had no wish to be insulting, and indeed many people would think that folks like yourself, Wolfsbane, or Stephentlig are more to be admired for your consistency in holding the line for your position and not deviating from it.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I must admit, though, that it was interesting that, without any conscious sense of irony, you responded by making comments about me and supporting those comments by noting that a good number of other atheists think the same way about me as you do. So, I guess that proves that you are an independent thinker. ;)
    An independent thinker is someone who arrives at their own conclusions. The existence of others who independently arrived at the same conclusions does not negate the fact that I arrived at these conclusions myself. I know you love to take the fact that atheists sometimes have similar opinions and dismiss this as fundamentalist, dogmatic, "party line" groupthink but sometimes people just agree with each other and the chances of this are greatly increased if the position in question is logically consistent. If I have a particular opinion then that's my opinion. If other people share it then that's good for them but the fact that they share it is irrelevant to me. I'm not going to change my position to be in line with the "atheist position" as you seem to think but nor am I going to change a position that I support just for the sake of it (or just because PDN has given one of his ever so convincing arguments), lest I be branded as a stereotypical fundamentalist, dogmatic, "party line" groupthinker by someone who doesn't grasp that people can often independently reach many of the same conclusions without being such. We all agree that 1+1=2 as well, typical atheists eh :rolleyes:. If you give a particular opinion and ten atheists all give the same response, maybe instead of dismissing this as fundamentalist groupthink, you should consider the possibility that there is a flaw in your reasoning that everyone has spotted. If you said that 1+1=5 you'd hardly be surprised if you got ten of the same response now would you? I have to say it is kind of amusing that you have managed
    to take the fact that theists tend to use the same few basic arguments in different forms with the same few basic flaws in them and turn this around so that when atheists point out the very obvious flaws in these arguments you can brand them as groupthinkers for all spotting the same flaw and fundamentalists for not changing their opinion despite your ever so convincing argument

I was "trying" to give a certain impression of myself I might occasionally take a position I didn't actually agree with just for the sake of it but I'm just giving my honest opinion that some people may or may not share. This will of course not make a dent in your opinion so I'm off to piss into the wind now to fill my time with something more productive

From my direct observations of my family and friends, my neighbours and work-colleagues, I have obtained the evidence I alluded to. Most of my non-Christian family, friends, colleagues do not think drunkenness or sleeping with their dates is morally wrong. Some think it unwise, but not immoral.

All of the Christians known to me think drunkenness and sex outside marriage is immoral. Some have fallen into these sins on occasion, but none practice them.

Maybe our difference in observation comes from how we define Christian. If you mean one who has a vague belief in the Christian religion, more out of tradition than conviction, then you would see no difference - for those people are as godless as any atheist.

By Christian I mean the Biblical sense - one committed in heart to love and obey Jesus Christ.

Ah, you mean the true scotsman christians. If you mentally exclude everyone who, for example, believes that drunkenness and sex outside marriage are immoral from your definition of christian then you really shouldn't be surprised if you find that christians are more likely to believe these things. That is the case because your definition of christian only includes people who believe these things

Ah, you mean the true scotsman christians. If you mentally exclude everyone who, for example, believes that drunkenness and sex outside marriage are immoral from your definition of christian then you really shouldn't be surprised if you find that christians are more likely to believe these things. That is the case because your definition of christian only includes people who believe these things
    I see. Like atheists who believe in God must be classified as real atheists.

My definition of Christian is the original, authentic version - and the only sort I'm making a case about.

• Advertisement

I see. Like atheists who believe in God must be classified as real atheists.

My definition of Christian is the original, authentic version - and the only sort I'm making a case about.

A christian is someone who believes in Jesus Christ. That covers more than 1/6th of the world's population. If you wish to separate this into "true" christians and "other", which you lump in with atheists then you can do that but it makes the statement that christians are more likely to behave morally than atheists redundant since you only include people who behave morally in your definition of christian. It becomes a tautology, ie you might as well say that moral people are more likely to behave morally than immoral people

Advertisement