Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seo improvment

Options
  • 10-01-2010 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

i recently have started my own online shop, but i am having major problems on trying to rank on google.

can anyone help me with tips to rank higher or provide me with some affordable and reliable SEO companies who would help me on ranking higher as this would have a major help on my website.

www.fonezonline.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Dawei

Very nice looking site. I am assuming you are targeting the irish market or european market are you?

Few tips

1. the site title - your site title is fonezonline, you should include your 1st tier/main keywords in it

2. the url - Samsung S8000 Jet , if you want to rank for this keyword, you should have an URL like www.yourdomain.com/Samsung-S8000-Jet instead of http://www.fonezonline.com/product.php?id_product=11.

the above two are the very basic seo techniques. I don't know any seo companies, I am sure there are a lot of them, and I am pretty sure it is not cheap.

My question is though have done any competition research ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've moved this from the development forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 krmwebdesigner

i recently have started my own online shop, but i am having major problems on trying to rank on google.

can anyone help me with tips to rank higher or provide me with some affordable and reliable SEO companies who would help me on ranking higher as this would have a major help on my website.

www.fonezonline.com

I would recommend downloading 'web CEO'. Get it on Google as I can't post links here. You have to understand though that SEO/ Google Rankings is a full time job. Some people get paid 1,000euro per week to do this job. I have more links to SEO tools but I can't post them here or I'll be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

That will just tell you where you rank, not how to rank tho...

Essentially you need to grow your online presence - ultimately, websites and search engines are about connecting people. Search engine brings someone to your site, site connects them to you. So why not broaden your approach - are you on LinkedIn? Do you have a business profile there too (i.e. 2 profiles so) - IGO People, etc?

link8r wrote: »
    That will just tell you where you rank, not how to rank tho...

If you're talking about WebCEO it will also tell you how to rank better, what search engines look for and how to hit the top spot. You can also search for keywords with it although I find Google insights to be better for this, especially for researching the search habits of Irish visitors. I get over 20,000 page hits per month on my site by the way so I'm not just talking out of my rear.

• Advertisement

If you're talking about WebCEO it will also tell you how to rank better, what search engines look for and how to hit the top spot. You can also search for keywords with it although I find Google insights to be better for this, especially for researching the search habits of Irish visitors. I get over 20,000 page hits per month on my site by the way so I'm not just talking out of my rear.

I'm quite familiar with it. The KEI keywords tool is pretty useless for Ireland and on-site SEO is only part of the whole programme.

20,000 page hits - is this Hits or Unique Visits or something between the two? It does sound a bit of an odd metric to me tbh. If you had 5000 visitors in a month with an average of 4 pages per visit that would equal 20,000 page views (is that a page visit?) - which is about 700 visits per day

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

quick look at your site and there could be huge problem on SEO ranking for you site. You have two sites, http://fonezonline.com/ and http://www.fonezonline.com/
    You could be penalised for having duplicate contents by google .... do you know that?
    create .htaccess file in your website's root folder and includ following lines in it:
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^homeez.co.uk [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.homeez.co.uk/$1 [L,R=301]
    </IfModule>
    this will send http://homeez.co.uk to http://www.homeez.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

What do people think of Dawei's second suggestion?
    the url - Samsung S8000 Jet , if you want to rank for this keyword, you should have an URL like www.yourdomain.com/Samsung-S8000-Jet instead of http://www.fonezonline.com/product.php?id_product=11.
    Would google look on this as SEO overkill or will it help rankings?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

jonathan11 wrote: »

Thanks
    it will definitly help

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

leom wrote: »
    it will definitly help

Personally I think you have to be balanced when deciding if pretty URLs will help. they will likely do so at the margins, but any positive effect may be overwhelmed by the negative implications of large-scale redirects required. If you were starting a site I'd say go with pretty URLs, but if you have a large established site changing over may do more damage then good.

Even the marginal improvements gained from pretty URLs might be ambiguous - check out sites like expansys.com who do very nicely without ever touching pretty URLs.

I'd say site architecture is far more important than URL structure.

• Advertisement

Currently my pages are indexed by google as: http://webside.ie/page.php?id=4 etc etc.

If I change to pretty URLs http://webside.ie/page.php?product_model_version will it simply re-index these? How do I get it to drop the "?id=4" pages out of the site index?

Cheers...

Thanks

Keywords in the URL are very important for Google. Google looks at a page from the top down but it also take the URL into consideration. So if you have a domain name like www.Tomsclothes.com and someone searches for 'toms clothes' you would be given more consideration (and considering your website is optimised properly for Google) than joesclothes.com or clothes.com.

If some searches for 'cheap jackets' and your page is located at www.tomsclothes.com/cheap-jackets/ (and considering your website is optimised properly for Google) you'd be given more consideration over www.joesclothes.com/products.asp?pID="24" .

Although as far as I'm aware joes clothes could get a higher ranking than tomsclothes if he had a lot of quality PR link backs as well as a well optimised site. But URLs are very important and could give you that extra boost you need.

If some searches for 'cheap jackets' and your page is located at www.tomsclothes.com/cheap-jackets/ (and considering your website is optimised properly for Google) you'd be given more consideration over www.joesclothes.com/products.asp?pID="24" .
    Sorry, but this is absolutely false.
    Although as far as I'm aware joes clothes could get a higher ranking than tomsclothes if he had a lot of quality PR link backs as well as a well optimised site. But URLs are very important and could give you that extra boost you need.
    This contradicts what you wrote above, but is more accurate. Again, architecture is more likely to get you good rankings than URI structures.

Sorry, but this is absolutely false.

So you're saying that keywords in the URL mean nothing to Google? Most of my success (300 visitors a day) is based on this. Quality link backs add quality to the site but keywords are what people search for. You need keywords for people to find so how could this be false? I'm not having a go by the way just looking for your opinion.
    This contradicts what you wrote above, but is more accurate. Again, architecture is more likely to get you good rankings than URI structures.

I don't think it contradicts what I wrote because I was writing on 2 different areas of SEO, 1. Keyword optimisation and 2. link backs. I was under the impression that low quality link backs (for instance PR1/ PR2 when you're site is a PR4) can lower the quality of your site and therefore lead to a drop in your Search Engine Results. Is this the case? If so, what is the point in getting loads of low quality link backs? when you could get 1 or 2 high quality link backs and get a better listing?

Changed to pretty URLs so time will tell if google like them any better.

Google has indexed some of my pages as http://site.ie/page.php?id=7, which are no longer valid.

Would putting a disallow in robots.txt help this any?
    Disallow: /page.php?id

Or will google just reindex eventually?
    Thanks

The 'pretty' urls (urls with keywords in them) will only work if your site is optimised properly. So if you have a page advertising 'men's jackets' on it. The <title></title> tags, <meta></meta> tags, folders, alt tags, href titles<a href="your-url" title="mens-jackets">men's jackets</a><h1,2,3,4> tags, <strong>tags, links, header text and body text should all be optimised correctly in order to get the most out of your listing. You should spend time optimising and learning about how to optimise the site. It may take some time but if done correctly it will be soo worth it, especially if there is money coming through the site or if you are trying to sell on it.

Google has indexed some of my pages as http://site.ie/page.php?id=7, which are no longer valid.

Thanks

It is up to Google to update their own servers but you can help Google fix it quicker by sorting out your sitemap.xml file with all the URLs you want indexed and submitting it to Google.

Thanks
    You need to set up 301 redirects from old URLs to new pretty URLs.
    Do not block old URLs via robots.txt.

This is a good example of how DIY SEO can damage your site. You're making a change that will likely cause more damage than good. If anyone else reads this and wants to migrate to pretty URLs then do some homework and make sure you learn about the following:
    * 301 redirects
    * duplicate content & and canonical URLs
    * what blocking URLs via robots.txt actually does
    * crawl frequency

Sorry dont mean to be negative on you, but you're making a change that others have told you will make a positive impact, but doing it in such a way that it's far more likely to hurt you in the short to medium term.

So you're saying that keywords in the URL mean nothing to Google?
    It likely has a marginal benefit, but it's only one of many, many signals used, and a quite weak one at that. A page with a query string can be more relevant for any given keyword than the identical page with pretty URL. Simply because other more important signals may be stronger for that page.
    Most of my success (300 visitors a day) is based on this.
    How could you possibly know that this is the case? Think about it for a minute.
    Quality link backs add quality to the site but keywords are what people search for. You need keywords for people to find so how could this be false? I'm not having a go by the way just looking for your opinion.
    Em, no. Links also add relevance to the target page/site. That's why the page with query parameters and relevant links can easily outrank the page with pretty URL.
    I don't think it contradicts what I wrote because I was writing on 2 different areas of SEO, 1. Keyword optimisation and 2. link backs.
    Both can carry relevance signals.
    I was under the impression that low quality link backs (for instance PR1/ PR2 when you're site is a PR4) can lower the quality of your site and therefore lead to a drop in your Search Engine Results. Is this the case? If so, what is the point in getting loads of low quality link backs? when you could get 1 or 2 high quality link backs and get a better listing?
    If this was the case I know lots of people who would spend night and day adding their competitors' sites to the crappiest link farms they could find... Again, have a think about it.

Without being condescending I will just say that you agreed with me on 2 of my points and another 2 were irrelevant to the debate in question (but not the topic of the thread).
    How could you possibly know that this is the case? Think about it for a minute.

I am basing this point on the fact that after researching my stats on Google analytics and other stats packages roughly 95% - 98% of my visitors come from Google under keywords that I have specifically entered and in order to gain visitors from it. I have 4 years SEO experience and I find that my methods work.

Without being condescending I will just say that you agreed with me on 2 of my points and another 2 were irrelevant to the debate in question (but not the topic of the thread).

I am basing this point on the fact that after researching my stats on Google analytics and other stats packages roughly 95% - 98% of my visitors come from Google under keywords that I have specifically entered and in order to gain visitors from it. I have 4 years SEO experience and I find that my methods work.

You're not honestly saying that you know as fact that having pretty URLs accounts for all your traffic? I dont doubt that your methods work, but I question your assertion that pretty URLs are the cause of your success.

Pray tell how you can possibly assert such a thing?

• Advertisement

You're not honestly saying that you know as fact that having pretty URLs accounts for all your traffic? I dont doubt that your methods work, but I question your assertion that pretty URLs are the cause of your success.

Pray tell how you can possibly assert such a thing?

Apologies. It seems we got our wires crossed (or I did). The point I was trying to make was that keywords in the URL coupled with a well optimised website can lead to a higher listing than those without. Keywords that are in the URL, in the title and in the body as well as other tags throughout the page. I didn't mean that 'pretty urls' on their own will get you a greater listing. But I did state a number of times that pretty urls " (and considering your website is optimised properly for Google) " will give you a higher listing. Didn't mean to start an argument there lol.

Apologies. It seems we got our wires crossed (or I did). The point I was trying to make was that keywords in the URL coupled with a well optimised website can lead to a higher listing than those without. Keywords that are in the URL, in the title and in the body as well as other tags throughout the page. I didn't mean that 'pretty urls' on their own will get you a greater listing. But I did state a number of times that pretty urls " (and considering your website is optimised properly for Google) " will give you a higher listing. Didn't mean to start an argument there lol.

I appreciate that, but we have to be careful in what we say. The OP has gone away now and changed his URL structures in a way that may actually harm his site. It's important that folk dont get the impression that using pretty URLs will suddenly make their traffic shoot through the roof, especially when the opposite is quite possible if they implement it wrong (as seems to be the case with the OP).

Thanks guys for your suggestions and opinions. I can see pros and cons of using the pretty URLs. I guess they need to be used properly and in the right context. They just didn't look right on my site.

I'm only getting to grips with this stuff so I'm sticking with regular old ...php?id=3 for the moment. Trying to think up names for each individual page was a pain in the ar@e. Plus I have 100+ pages indexed by google with the regular urls. I've only had the pretty urls up for less than 24 hours, maybe google didn't notice :-)

I think you were intending to give good advice but it was wrong. And RedCardinal's points are all very valid. 300 visitors a day in the larger scheme of things isn't enourmous. And given that much of your advice flies in the face of what Google Web Masters dictates and how lack of knowledge Authority works (which is freely and easily available) means that you need to be careful about giving advice/directions when you seem know not much more than OP.

SERP's can be important to someone's business - giving the wrong advice could harm that.

Overconfidence is a bad substitute for common sense.

link8r wrote: »
    I think you were intending to give good advice but it was wrong. And RedCardinal's points are all very valid. 300 visitors a day in the larger scheme of things isn't enourmous. And given that much of your advice flies in the face of what Google Web Masters dictates and how lack of knowledge Authority works (which is freely and easily available) means that you need to be careful about giving advice/directions when you seem know not much more than OP.

SERP's can be important to someone's business - giving the wrong advice could harm that.

Overconfidence is a bad substitute for common sense.

Spot on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Hi,

Page Titles and Meta Tags are very important for SEO.
    Your product descriptions are equally as important. Be descriptive, and try not to copy and paste descriptions of products from other sites. Google doesn't appreciate text duplication from other sites.

Links to your site from other external sites like forums etc. are also good.
    Affiliation can create alot of traffic to your site. For example, if you have discount codes, advertised on other websites. This market is huge in the UK.
    Page Size, try not to have webpages that take too long to load (large graphics).
    Ensure your site has a proper certificate on it for customers purchasing and logging on.
    Make sure you have a good sitemap.xml that's in the home directory of your website.
    Try to have static URLs for your subdepartments.
    Remeber, you need to have patience with new websites and google, the older your site is, and the more you maintain it, the better your results will be.

Cheers

Alot of views on this thread.... 20000+
    :-o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 parmele

Imagine you have a headache. (If you're having trouble with that, re-read this thread.) So, you go to the store and you want aspirin or something similar for your headache.

Aspirin is SEO.

Headache is low traffic.

So now, you're at the store and then you notice 100 types of aspirin and similar substitutes. Extra strength? Regular? Coated? Uncoated? Your headache is worse thinking about it and to top it off your Mom's in your ear telling you a cold washcloth on your forehead always works best.

The 100 types of aspirin are us. The forum. The 10,000,000 web pages telling you how to do SEO. And that's the real problem! Why are there 100 types of aspirin? Don't any of them work? If someone figured out SEO there wouldn't be 10,000,000 web pages and 50,000 books on it.

I'm not saying anybody in this thread is wrong on SEO. Google says PageRank takes into account 500 million variables. We only listed like 20. Most of the things I do on my site: tags, meta descriptions, pretty URL's, in-bound links, etc. Do they work? I dunno, but I'm leaving a link, heh.

http://www.jasonparmele.com

Google says PageRank takes into account 500 million variables.

Really ? That's astonishing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FonezOnline

after all that has been said, i am still confused as which option to choose. people saying do pretty urls etc and then everyone else disagrees.

would anyone be interested in doing work for us. of course it would be paid.

incase anyone doesnt know the website, its www.fonezonline.com
    m and you can check page info to see what meta things need to be worked on. please get back to us. info@fonezonline.com

Advertisement