Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hope no one is planning to go to Derravaragh for pike

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Bit Irresponsible tbh , the ice isnt as thick as you think it is....If you go in you're gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Vartry Resevoir attached

Lough Ramor:
    mik_da_man wrote: »
    You think the lough frozen solid is impressive?
    This a proper lake 3 miles from my parents house in Meath!
    Frozen solid

LoughRamor.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Might be frozen from shore to shore but I'd bet my year's salary that that ice isn't a foot thick yet - hasn't been cold enough for long enough to make it safe for walking on.

Apparently people were on quads out on Vartry!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Bit Irresponsible tbh , the ice isnt as thick as you think it is....If you go in you're gone.
    Yep, some people totally stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Walking on a frozen lake in Ireland where we rarely if ever have had conditions like we had the past few weeks is one thing and if you fall through the ice and drown then so be it and good riddance for your own stupidity but gob****es taking motor vehicles out on the lakes should be arrested and locked up because if they go through the ice in a vehicle the impact from pollution would be a lot worse than a hoooman body! :rolleyes:

There's one born everyday, they say... I reckon this statistic could be rising in the noughties. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 specimenhunter

an idiot deserves to die for blatant stupidity. i just feel for the emergency services who will be called out to assist these clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

loads of stuff on u-tube showing twits on the ice all over the country, i saw one clown cycling a bike on lough Ree at a place i know, and where he was cycling it was 30+ feet deep, if he went in him and bike would never be seen again, the water is so cold even with a life jacket you will die

agreed. hypothermia would have you in bits in minutes. you would either be very lucky or else a hard basterd to get away with falling through the ice

agreed. hypothermia would have you in bits in minutes. you would either be very lucky or else a fat basterd to get away with falling through the ice

Fixed your post :D

• Advertisement

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

To think that this country produced a Shackleton and Crean!!

A life without risk is not worth living

People are so pampered these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Birroc wrote: »

fair enough.. but inevitably some f*ckin eejit will drown themselves because they thought it was alright to drive a quad on a frozen lake... i dont think shakleton and crean took stupid risks just because they were full of drink and on there way home from a nightclub!! i think there risks were much more honourable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

agreed, there is calculated risk, then there is downright carelessness, if those clowns went in who would be expected to come to their aid? when someone more deserving may be in need of such aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Birroc wrote: »

Remind me to laugh when you drown, or weren't you aware that Shackleton and Crean didn't use quads... :rolleyes:

I suppose you find this worth the risk?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1245044/Boy-6-dies-trapped-ice-frozen-lake.html?ITO=1490

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Remind me to laugh when you drown, or weren't you aware that Shackleton and Crean didn't use quads... :rolleyes:

Yeah quad bikes. I am surprised you even leave the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Ryan!

Relax there lads, jesus

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Falling in through ice isn't necessarily fatal .... provided you know how to get back up on the ice again unaided and on your own and within 5 minutes. You don't get hypothermia for 15-30 mins, but your judgment and agility goes after 5 - 10 mins, so you have 5.

Most people haven't thought it through. Fatalities are caused by trying to get back up on the surrounding broken ice which then tilts and unloads the unfortunate back into the water, or by water currents that draw the unfortunate under good intact ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Ryan!

coolwings wrote: »
    Falling in through ice isn't necessarily fatal .... provided you know how to get back up on the ice again unaided and on your own and within 5 minutes. You don't get hypothermia for 15-30 mins, but your judgment and agility goes after 5 - 10 mins, so you have 5.

Most people haven't thought it through. Fatalities are caused by trying to get back up on the surrounding broken ice which then tilts and unloads the unfortunate back into the water, or by water currents that draw the unfortunate under good intact ice.

Hypothermia can kill in as fast as 2 minutes in freezing water.

Advertisement