Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ling is in the well! Q&A with Ling from lingscars.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Q1: What are your 3 best/worst business qualities?

Q2: What do you think is going to be the next big thing online?

Q3: If I didnt know who you were and came across your website I would probably think on a quick first look that it looks fake or some sort of advertising/spam website and would probably move on. Do you think that without the exposure on Dragons Den your business would have taken off like it has and be doing so well?

Q4: If you could start again tomorrow what would you do differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LINGsCARS

You were very quick to spot the criticism your site was receiving here. I think I remember you reg'd to defend it another time here (maybe a couple of years ago) too.

How are you so quick? I assume you have google keywords alerts or something set up (rather than being a boards.ie lurker) so you can keep abreast of what people are saying about your business, is that right?

What have you learned and how have you improved your business with the information you've received this way?

Well, it is good for Google for people to talk about my business.

I do use Google alerts, BUT - they are after the event things. Useful, but old. The reason I know what is happening is that I monitor my website, live. For instance, currently there are 42 people online, I see all referrers and google searches that bring people, I know the names of pre-ID's visitors (usually customers) and I find out where people come from. For example, someone is on from here: http://clusta.blogspot.com/ scroll down that page to see why, an awful blog but hey, it brought a visitor.

I have a graphical interface (Camp Ling) of my live visitors: watch this, turn up the sound and wait for it to load http://www.lingscars.com/sitemap.php No one else has this in the world. You can make the cat sing and make the visitors dance (click the jam jar in bottom right corner).

As soon as I recognise a referrer, I join in... this is the whole point, live interactivity with people (even Irish ones, hahaha).

I learn loads, keep giving me ideas!

Also, not a question but a statement... this is brilliant: http://www.lingscars.com/werthers.php :D

Currently, Age Concern are complaining about it. I am winding them up to give me a formal letter of complaint. Then, that will make a news story :) I think it is fun, they think it is ageist and patronising/insulting to old people.

If you want a Chinese Werther's fill in the form.

Axwell wrote: »
    Q1: What are your 3 best/worst business qualities?

Q2: What do you think is going to be the next big thing online?

Q3: If I didnt know who you were and came across your website I would probably think on a quick first look that it looks fake or some sort of advertising/spam website and would probably move on. Do you think that without the exposure on Dragons Den your business would have taken off like it has and be doing so well?

Q4: If you could start again tomorrow what would you do differently?

aaaaagh multiple questions!

1. I am quite naive, I open my gob and I don't maximise profit on cars. I treat all customers alike, I don't rip people off. I decide margin and stick to it. I could make more money if I was more opportunistic, but I like being nice to customers and will choose to save them cash instead.

2. Live website visitor interaction - I am building this product :)

3. DD was good, and gives some credibility. Gave me a boost. I thought it was great to get 5,000 visitors a day (day after DD). But now, I often manage to do that midweek, with a bit of tickling. But now, I am past the critical mass. From 100k visitors a month, business cannot fail to happen. Just need to make people react when visiting my site and keep it up the top of Google. Of course the basic service has to be good, and work.

4. Build the website properly in a css framework and a more considered database structure. Doing that at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

More multiple questions - keeping you on your toes :P

Q1: For someone looking to start out in business online right now what would you suggest as a good place to start, and what type of business for example importing from China or offering a service etc. With the recession etc there are loads of threads here every week with people looking for advice that are starting out.

Q2: Have you any other businesses or areas you want to get into down the line outside of the car trade?

Q3: Who is your favourite Dragon from the Den?

Q4: 3 people in business you most admire?

Q5: Whats your favourite flavour of ice cream? :D

• Advertisement

Actually, on my sitemap page http://www.lingscars.com/sitemap.php if you scroll below the sitemap, you can see a list (next to where I am standing with a green ready-brek radioactive glow) of live Google (etc) searches that people used who are currently on my website. (ie, my current visitors from search engines). You can see what they searched to get here. Again, I don't know any other website that knows this stuff live, let alone shows it.

More multiple questions - keeping you on your toes :P

Q1: For someone looking to start out in business online right now what would you suggest as a good place to start, and what type of business for example importing from China or offering a service etc. With the recession etc there are loads of threads here every week with people looking for advice that are starting out.

Q2: Have you any other businesses or areas you want to get into down the line outside of the car trade?

Q3: Who is your favourite Dragon from the Den?

Q4: 3 people in business you most admire?

Q5: Whats your favourite flavour of ice cream? :D

FFS!

1. Dunno. If I knew I would start it. Data is always a good business.

2. Yep, software.

3. Pshhhhh stupid question. It is a TV programme. All rubbish. I do not know them.

4. O'Leary, Seth Godin, ummm... I like people who hammer away to make stuff work.

5. Stupid question again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

LINGsCARS wrote: »

:eek: that's fukking impressive, well done.

A little tip: you could move your google analytics code to the bottom of the page (just before the closing body tag) and your page will appear to load faster but you'll still get all the benefits of the analytics.

edit- The same applies to any js that you can load after the page has loaded. For example, /includes/js/troll_test.js, and any inline functions that do things like open windows (MM_openBrWindow) all seem like likely candidates. Anything that isn't needed to actually load the page really.

FFS!

3. Pshhhhh stupid question. It is a TV programme. All rubbish. I do not know them.

5. Stupid question again.

You know their business backgrounds etc, surely you have a preference of one of them over the others. I for example find Peter Jones to be very shrewd and great on the show.

The last question was a fun question, not every question in the Q&A sessions has to be serious and revolve around business.

Must be my free stater sense of humour..:rolleyes:

You know their business backgrounds etc, surely you have a preference of one of them over the others. I for example find Peter Jones to be very shrewd and great on the show.

The last question was a fun question, not every question in the Q&A sessions has to be serious and revolve around business.

Must be my free stater sense of humour..:rolleyes:

Hahaha, well, I do not know them as people. All we see is TV personas. So who knows?

Well, my sense of humour is different :) Hahahah, ice cream choice isn't a big thing for me, you know Chinese don't do puddings very well. Have a Werthers!

• Advertisement

A little tip: you could move your google analytics code to the bottom of the page (just before the closing body tag) and your page will appear to load faster but you'll still get all the benefits of the analytics.

edit- The same applies to any js that you can load after the page has loaded. For example, /includes/js/troll_test.js, and any inline functions that do things like open windows (MM_openBrWindow) all seem like likely candidates. Anything that isn't needed to actually load the page really.

Completely correct.

It is simply a matter of not being ar5sed to take the time and laziness. But yes, I should do all this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Did you start lingscars.com through your own financing or through bank loans etc? Did your business plan include your "Wacky" website design, promotional methods etc? Do you employ someone to make changes to the website or have you learned to do all this yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Hi Ling, great that you're offering some answers here.

Q. You mentioned revenue of around £35m/year, which has grown from around £10m/year in 2005 - what was the single biggest factor in this growth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Then, there will be the confusion in having another English text website in Euros with completely different pricing.

Then there are the different model/trim designations (remember I have 300+ database tables to maintain), which is a hell of a lot new stuff to find out. Often there are some significant differences in various models.

Hi Ling,

You mention your database tables for model/trim designations, do you populate & update these yourselves? Would you not just buy in an external database like Jato?

Thanks,

Chris

zAbbo wrote: »
    Hi Ling, great that you're offering some answers here.

Q. You mentioned revenue of around £35m/year, which has grown from around £10m/year in 2005 - what was the single biggest factor in this growth?

No, no, not £35m revenue.

I move £35m of cars per year (cost of the cars). I don't buy or sell the cars (or my revenue would be £35m), I simply allow the finance companies to buy the cars and take a commission on each car. But even so, my cars are still cheaper than others can do, due to lack of overheads

Biggest factor is Google really. Dragon's Den did give me a boost, but for consistent growth in the UK, it's Google.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Hi Ling,

You mention your database tables for model/trim designations, do you populate & update these yourselves? Would you not just buy in an external database like Jato?

Thanks,

Chris

I don't know what Jato is.

I get the model info from loads of different sources. I compile it from many published outlets. I refine it myself. I guess I could buy it from somewhere like CAP, but that is like being addicted to their information and data like hooked on heroin. I do not want to be under the control of others. Plus it would cost maybe £10,000/year. I want to be very independent so no one can control me.

shoutman wrote: »
    Did you start lingscars.com through your own financing or through bank loans etc? Did your business plan include your "Wacky" website design, promotional methods etc? Do you employ someone to make changes to the website or have you learned to do all this yourself?

I did not need financing, it did not need money to start, as I had all the basic stuff (computer, isdn line back in 2000), just needed loads of hard work.

Website just developed, no one planned it. Even now, I added the Werther's on a whim as I saw individual wrapped ones in China and brought 17.5kg back for a laugh.

All just on a whim. That's what makes it such fun. Drives my IT mad.

I do most basic webpage stuff myself or with hubby Jon. I do things like ani gifs and layout. Basically involves filling all white space with flashing stuff :) Hahaha! To pull complicated stuff together and maitain all the massive LINGO CRM you never see, we have 3 part-time ubergeeks from Sunderland Uni who love to be set impossible tasks. Begins: "could we", and "what if" and we end up with a 3 month project.

Have done loads of stuff that has not been used but looked like a good idea at the time, or needs integrating into something else. Visitor trolling is one, with chatty divs. Have spent months of wasted time on stuff. It is like advertising, 50% is wasted, but not sure which 50%.

Some stuff starts as one thing, ends up as totally another. Everything takes 3 times as long as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

do you still have the truck with the big nuke on the back? Did it get you noticed as much as you wanted or was it all complaints about it?

tombull82 wrote: »
    do you still have the truck with the big nuke on the back? Did it get you noticed as much as you wanted or was it all complaints about it?

Of course I have it! That is my pet missile truck.

Lovely V8 7.0 petrol 6x6.

rocket13.jpg

Notice I am sitting on it.

Complaints got loads of press.

d_and_s2.jpg

tom_garner_2.jpg

d_and_s_2.jpg

tele_2.jpg

bus550_2.jpg

journal_5.jpg

necho.jpg

bized.jpg

marketingblog.jpg

ling_cartoon_viz_652.gif

viz-page.jpg

men3.jpg

metronews.jpg

mt_diary.jpg

redant.jpg

jap.jpg

fashionshoot1.jpg

journal10.jpg

ukrally1.jpg

am_wow1.jpg

• Advertisement

I think the truck has paid for itself :)

Cost £3500

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mr Biz

(((1:12))) "Chinese eat Dragons for breakfast!!" BRILLIANT!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Hi Ling,

Are you finding customers expectations changing in the current climate and how are you reacting?

If you were to start for scratch again would you persue the same business logic? (I know your backend could do with reworking)

What would you say to someone interested in starting their own small business. any advise that could give it the Ling touch.

abakan wrote: »
    Hi Ling,

Are you finding customers expectations changing in the current climate and how are you reacting?

If you were to start for scratch again would you persue the same business logic? (I know your backend could do with reworking)

What would you say to someone interested in starting their own small business. any advise that could give it the Ling touch.

Current climate is frankly, hard. I am simply working like hell, pedalling like mad and sweating more. My competition simply does not have this stamina. It is like a long distance race x10. It is relentless.

Competitors mainly have to canvass for business, they work manually, use paper, use phones, I have my website with increasing visitors. Eg Today up to now 18:35 = 2656 visitors. From that many, some business arrives. It is over critical mass.

However, compared to 2 years ago, more than twice as many people now fail finance criteria because the fffffing stupid banks and now they are so tight. However, I have 3 x as many web visitors and 4 x as many proposals as 2 years ago, so the maths work. When the credit situation eases, there is an explosion in biz to come. Also I operate as a tiny % of a mature market, so the numbers are stable. If you see what I mean, it can be predicted. For example yesterday, 20 car proposals. Typical. I get 400/mth - ish.

But, it is LOTS more work for not much more volume. So I constantly make efficiencies in my systems so staff can do more, for less effort. Efficiency means profitability. O'Leary knows that. So, I can bleed less than competitors too. Web is v. efficient. From 9am to 6pm it is a constant stream of communication. Actually this is very nice, but even if you just go for a sh1t, when you come back, people are queueing. Hahhaa.

I would do the same if I started again. On the basis that systems apart, my logic is to multiply my very best efforts to as many customers as possible. It is playing numbers, with real people. This is the Ryanair differentiation, they treat people less well (however, their scale is massive, like the Catholic church, so forgiveness. Frankly the church is worse than Ryanair and that is a good thought for O'Leary). Every one of my customers get some kind of special effort, even if I have to bleed the dealers/suppliers dry. From a set of mats, to sweets, to a favour, to a late night response. I earn goodwill and it pays off.

It is hard though.

I am not perfect. I make mistakes. Today, a customer got a car without a promised towbar and had to arrange it himself, but I immediately got him discount on a local fitting and raised a cheque to him for £100 as a gift. It happens. The trick is to kill every possible problem dead, immediately, not to drag them out.

A customer last year in NI got a Freelander delivered in the wrong colour. I immediately offered a £500 settlement (as a new car would be a nightmare). He took it.

I always just buy the problem (or fix it). This is my logic.

Advice for starting - I am not a guru. Just do it, but (I hate this bollox) be the best. Just apply more than you should in effort. That is what customers want, love and understanding and care, wrapped in fun.

I quickly give an example of giving the Ling touch:

MY ENVELOPES

I want my customers to like to get my post. No one likes to get franked, plain envelopes, that means : A BILL, BAD NEWS, A LETTER DEMANDING PAYMENT.

So I use very bright envelopes I print myself, these cost a bit in printing (use loads of ink), but never get mislaid. But, in fact these are very cheap, for the effect they have.

I also use real stamps hand licked in small denominations so they end up with 4 or 5 stamps stuck on. Having a franked postmark is cheaper (by pennies), faster (by seconds) but that indicates DONE BY A MACHINE with NO THOUGHT. Licking and sticking stamps higgledy piggedly by hand means A REAL PERSON SENT THIS LETTER, LICKED WITH OWN SPIT and SPENT TIME TO DO IT. Using many stamps means running out of room, the stamps often will not fit well, so get plastered on in the gaps (not many gaps). Hahaha. Everything goes First Class (or Special - £5 if ultra-urgent). I never ever ever EVER use second class. Second class saves a few pence but indicates no one cares about the priority. Second class is used by miserable, spitty, penny-pinchers. I want to give the impression everything is URGENT (it is). If any doubt in the weight/size, envelopes get overstamped.

Also, bulky envelopes are also sellotaped to differentiate them from the rest of someone's morning post, and to indicate thought and care has been taken to ensure the contents are secure. I enclose some sweets (awful Chinese sweets to provoke reaction - customers often reply with goodies for me). This means the letters have some knobbly thing inside. Curiosity means they need to find out what the strange object is.

This is rewarding the customers for opening the letters. Then, my customers look forward to getting my post, open it first, often leaving the rest of the terrible bills and mail till later. I give them a colourful return envelope too, hand stamped, always SAE'd up to make it EASY.

Yes, SAE costs money (about 90p each for document return envelopes) but it avoids the customer having to go out and buy stamps, saves a day in my car cycle. Gives a warm feeling to the customer, also avoids understamping by customers, which is easy in the UK due to the mental confusing postal parameters of size, weight, thickness, class. Who on earth designed a post system with 4 parameters??? Mental. Understamping means about 3 days delay getting it back (plus having to collect plus a surcharge). So, SAE is worth it.

Anyone can do this, very few do. It's a mess, it is brash, but customers LOVE it. It means my envelopes jump out from any other post they get.

Here is my envelope: (Ignore the MS Word Grammar underlines, they do not appear on the envelopes)

envelope.jpg

Below: here is my return envelope, the sorting office does not lose them:

This is quite important, these envelopes make the life of my local postie very easy as he sorts his mail into the postal round frame. I asked him if it helps and he says YES. He does not have to read the address, he simply knows the envelopes are mine. I never get lost/mis-delivered post. How can a postie push these envelopes through the wrong door? Whereas, I frequently get mis-delivered or badly addressed post meant for other people. As Royal Mail pushes "efficiencies" it means posties have more and more work to do and make more mistakes.

envelope2.jpg

Opening my mail means a customer is rewarded for their action. Easy. So simple. But very few people do this stuff. Very few people even consider the feelings of their customers, except to write banal wordy sh1te on the letter inside the envelope. My letters are fun, to the point, contain lots of pics, contain a clear instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Any more questions for Ling?

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to share your knowledge with us.

Nope, everyone is bored, now :)

Advertisement