Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win tickets to see Finbar Furey at Tradfest 2010 with an overnight stay in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Has to be the Furey brothers - When you Were Sweet Sixteen. Mates Dad used to always play this in the car and we used to always associate the song with him, as he'd be crooning away in the front and us in stitches in the back.

Looking back now, good memories:-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

froosh69 wrote: »

In my opinion, the greatest Dominic Behan poem ever. Gets me every time. It means alot to me as I have ancestors who fought in the War of Independance.

Coupled with this- the above performance also highlights the sheer talent of one of our greatest folk/trad musicians ever- Ronnie Drew.

I love the Sean nos style of the verse and the pub-like atmosphere of the chorus when everyone joins in. Its haunting, and I can imagine it being sung at the wake of Brendan Behan or Ronnie Drew.

For any trad lover and Irishman, this should bring a tear, or at least a lump in the throat.

I does for me anyway.

Cheers for listening.

I'd love to see Finbar Furey and I'm sure my Dad would too, but Im afraid Froosh got in before me with what would probably have been my first choice for favourite trad moment.

Instead I shall have to lump in with another one:

Clancy Brothers - Wild Rover
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJ8g9asQnU

very simple and very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

the Seamus Ennis rendition of An Poc Ar Buile simply for the sheer foot stamping factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I love Kid on the Mountain. It has so many memories for me. It was one of the first tunes I performed. When I hear it now it takes me to the magical place of my past where old friends meet. We used to call it Brat on the Hill.

I came across this version recently and I can honestly say it is one of the nicest versions I have ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hey all,

I've picked (at random) and PM'd the winner of this competition and will announce it when they get back to me.

Have to say - some excellent entries, choices and finds in this thread - really glad I started it. Some of the memories were extremely vivid and some of the songs mentioned bring many happy memories or are great finds I never knew about. Thanks for posting them.

I'll be back as soon as the winner is back to me.

Cheers

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Darragh I didn't recieve your PM, could you send it again, there must have been some sort of technical malfunction :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Darragh wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've picked (at random) and PM'd the winner of this competition and will announce it when they get back to me.

Have to say - some excellent entries, choices and finds in this thread - really glad I started it. Some of the memories were extremely vivid and some of the songs mentioned bring many happy memories or are great finds I never knew about. Thanks for posting them.

I'll be back as soon as the winner is back to me.

Cheers

Darragh

Darragh,
    did you get a response from the winner?

Advertisement