Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are your landlords crazy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

InReality wrote: »
    I think a lot of them are a bit weird.
    Then again nobody ever tells you about their totally normal landlords do they ?

Mine are sound. They're a couple who lived there and divorced. When we were signing contracts, it was clear they barely tolerated each other but since then, they've been completely absent and only get involved when we need something repaired. We're blessed really when I remember the fcuking bitch I had before. I still have pretend arguments with her in my head 2 and half years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

In my experience tenants are way worse than any landlord I've known or had. Landlords have very little protection too, I feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

My landlords are a bit weird. They're an Irish couple in their 50s, mostly quite sound, but they've got all these pictures of themselves with me as a kid, and call me 'son' quite a lot. Spooky eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Mine are sound. They're a couple who lived there and divorced. When we were signing contracts, it was clear they barely tolerated each other but since then, they've been completely absent and only get involved when we need something repaired. We're blessed really when I remember the fcuking bitch I had before. I still have pretend arguments with her in my head 2 and half years on.

At least you get to win the arguments now without fear of being evicted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Had one landlord who was fine with us, but was a member of a cult. Sometimes after collecting rent, he would give us leaflets with random stuff such as doomsday coming on an overcast day (could be any day in Ireland). According to a neighbouring landlord, the guy gave every penny he had to said cult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

One of my landladys wouldnt sign a contract with me, because it was Friday the 13th, she insisted on postponing it, weirdo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mopey

i used to have a crazy landlord in sligo who liked to help himself in 'looking for the rent' i was never late, and by no means a nuisance...rent paid by standing order and thus never late, a years lease etc etc, warned him not to be helping himself in, then i started to get serious and began to seek advice on the matter because it was getting out of hand that and the fact it was paid by standing order not cash with a rent book he was being crazy.

then one tuesday i went for pizza and got back just in time as he was arriving with a trailer in tow, and he decided then and there to give me my notice and i was to get out, he had apparently found a couple to move in and mustve reckoned hed get double the rent or w/e, i laughed hard.

i said fine ill just get my deposit off you (400) then in 3 hours ill be gone, he obviously didnt plan this eventuality as he didnt have it, he came back then every day for two weeks trying to hassle me out then at the end of it i got my deposit and a glowing reference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

I had an absolute nightmare or a landlord who lived above us. He told us he didn't want us drinking in the house, which is ridiculous as it wasn't in the lease and he doesn't really have the right to say that. He also complained when anyone came over and came tapping on the window to keep the noise down. During the day he would frequently complain about the volume level of music (which wasn't even that loud).

My brother was washing some of his clothes out the back of our house and he followed him into our house asking who he was. He always let himself into our house without permission. He would come down to 'check things' regularly and just was so annoying. The house was also an absolute dive and he would do nothing to fix it. My friend sometimes had her boyfriend over to stay (fairly normal I would assume?) and he used to comment on this saying 'who's your man?' and 'I heard sounds from your room' absolute creep. Worst year of my renting life.

He also used to watch exactly who came in and out of our house and exaggerate how many people were there, so if we had two friends over (it would be seven etc). NIGHTMARE.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cait87

mopey wrote: »
    i used to have a crazy landlord in sligo who liked to help himself in 'looking for the rent' i was never late, and by no means a nuisance...rent paid by standing order and thus never late, a years lease etc etc, warned him not to be helping himself in, then i started to get serious and began to seek advice on the matter because it was getting out of hand that and the fact it was paid by standing order not cash with a rent book he was being crazy.

then one tuesday i went for pizza and got back just in time as he was arriving with a trailer in tow, and he decided then and there to give me my notice and i was to get out, he had apparently found a couple to move in and mustve reckoned hed get double the rent or w/e, i laughed hard.

i said fine ill just get my deposit off you (400) then in 3 hours ill be gone, he obviously didnt plan this eventuality as he didnt have it, he came back then every day for two weeks trying to hassle me out then at the end of it i got my deposit and a glowing reference :)

The message is landlords are not the average working civil person. thats how they make money off other people who don't even have an option of buying.

This forum is my favourite on boards.ie, loving this topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

my gf and I have just rented an apartment and are having some serious grief having 2 holes fixed in the roof that the agency tried to say was no issue, a gaping hole in the roof she said was there since the storms pre Xmas!! she's also saying the landlady is refusing to buy new beds due to the present beds being mouldy, she tried to say yesterday that only the bed bases were mouldy like the mattresses are going to avoid the mould ffs, since we signed the lease shes been fixated on thefact that if they take away the broken delf, broken microwave, 2 broke TVs, piss/blood stained mattress, mouldy and puke stained bed bases and therefore mouldy mattresses that there will be no delf, microwave, TVs or beds for next tenants when we move out, the gas thing is we only signed the lease last week and have told them we intend staying for a few years, it took us days to convince them to take away all but the beds from room 2 and 3 and the agent had the cheek to ask if we would be leaving the bed base we brought with us when we leave, its a nuts situation as she's well aware we're still in the process of moving in and all they keep talking about is when we're leaving, she offered us our deposit and months rent back yesterday but I told her we're happy to stay once the place is fixed up and we're given our basic rights as tenants, it's a great location, big space, rent is only 850, it took us 3 months to not only find a nice place but its impossible to secure a place these days with the amount of people out looking to rent!! we're staying put now ta very much. rant over phew. same time next week? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Asked my landlady to fix to shelves which had collapsed on my head while I slept! I didn't want money for the GP visit that cost me, just fix the shelves

Got a teary phone call about how her partner left her and what a tough year she had and the medication she took and she was struggling with the responsibilities of getting tradesmen and managing the property.

Weirdo. Maybe she just wanted someone to talk to but she should have friends or a doctor for that

Shelves fixed in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

A management company looks after the property we rent. It's a student rental and the management company are organizing a reburshment for the landlord to take place during the summer. They told us it would start in April but we said no because we have dissertations to work on and exams until mid-June.

Anyway, it hasn't stopped the management company letting themselves in with all sorts of builders, energy consultants, plumbers etc. for the past few months. The worst was when my girlfriend was over visiting, and they walked into my room. I was like "eh do you mind, obviously we're in bed here". And they insisted they only wanted a quick look to point out what was needed doing.. I was so flustered and annoyed I let them, and the girlfriend and I had to sit out in the living room waiting for them to get the fúck out. Learned to lock the door the whole time, and a few other times there's been builders in and they've tried my room door!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Cait87 wrote: »
    The message is landlords are not the average working civil person. thats how they make money off other people who don't even have an option of buying

Are you kidding me?

I work as a property agent - I'm constantly on call and work my arse off in this job (we can compare hours if you like). I regularly get treated like absolute dirt by tenants. I've frequently had my physical security threatened on the job too.

Are there nutjobs and cowboys in the game? Yep, and landlords who don't fall into that category tend to be more annoyed about them than anyone because they give all of us a bad name. But do try not to judge us all with the same preconceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I had one crazy landlord back when I was a naive teenager renting my first place.

Was there two weeks when I developed pneumonia, which the doctors said was because of the mold in the place (hidden by wardrobes and other furniture).

I asked the landlord to fix it, and he told me to fcuk off.

When I got out of hospital, the toilet literally fell off the wall, with nobody on it. I called him and he said I'm too heavy (I was 10 stone at the time). Called threshold and they said he had to fix it, so I relayed that to him. He ignored the text.

Next day, i was lying on the couch in my underwear (still had a huge temperature from the pneumonia and couldn't stand to wear clothes.

He walked in unannounced and when I screamed at him to get out, he told me to cover myself up and leave the house so his workman could look at the loo.

I refused to leave, and the workman told him that the loo was so old aand rotten that that's why it fell off. While I was in the kitchen, the landlord went into my bedroom and took a load of my clothes from my press to soak up the leak from the toilet.

He then told me the toilet would take two weeks to fix, so i should go home to my parents until it was fixed. I said I couldn't, so he told me to get myself a potty :pac:

Decided tthen and there to leave. Called my dad over, knowing I'd have a fight on my hands for the deposit. My parents did my packing as I was too sick to, and when my dad demanded the deposit back, the landlord squared up to my dad, shouting abuse at him. My 6'10 boyfriend of the time then squared up to the landlord and got the deposit back.

Two weeks later, he calls, demanding 400 euro for bills. I insisted on seeing the bill. It was 19 euro. In his name.

So I told him to fcuk off and he then called me 10+ times per day for a week until i changed my number :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Nothing compared to stories here really, issue is more with the Mgmt Company than the Landlord. When we viewed the place previously it was an absolute kip, it looked like the guy's marriage had deteriorated and the wife left with the kid. Walls were covered in crayon, minimal living space, pizza boxes everywhere etc. In fairness they cleaned it right up for when we moved in, except for a strang appearance of little bugs (those fat pig things) every few days. Tracked it down to the couch, which was falling apart, we had our own couch so never really sat on it. This couch was falling apart, we had been complaining about it repeatedly to the Mgmt Company who assured us that the land lady thought it was fine. About a week I noticed on an email chain an address that looked like the landladys email, took pictures of the couch and sent them through to her. Couch replaced in 3 days!

Apparently the shower of eejits never bothered contacting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭murray.eoghan

Our landlords are not crazy, but i am a landlord and i am crazy........:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Are you kidding me?

I work as a property agent - I'm constantly on call and work my arse off in this job (we can compare hours if you like). I regularly get treated like absolute dirt by tenants. I've frequently had my physical security threatened on the job too.

Are there nutjobs and cowboys in the game? Yep, and landlords who don't fall into that category tend to be more annoyed about them than anyone because they give all of us a bad name. But do try not to judge us all with the same preconceptions.

I'd say it's a very tough job. I pity you. Most of the time property agents are just doing their job and following orders. Another case of management making the working conditions of their employees difficult. Don't shoot the messenger and all da!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Behind every crazy landlord there's a dozen batsh1t crazy tenants that made them that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Are you kidding me?

The letting agent that manages the property I am renting are useless, they take forever to respond to e-mails / calls (many times they don't reply) and often have to visit them in person to get something done!

I'm glad to see someone in that sector who actually cares (i.e. you!)

I am curious about the hours you work though as the crowd I deal with don't seem to do any!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

kingtut wrote: »
    The letting agent that manages the property I am renting are useless, they take forever to respond to e-mails / calls (many times they don't reply) and often have to visit them in person to get something done!

I'm glad to see someone in that sector who actually cares (i.e. you!)

I am curious about the hours you work though as the crowd I deal with don't seem to do any!!

Any given day is different, abd it really depends what has to be done. Normally I'm looking at standard 8 - 6, other days (like yesterday) there was a lot to do so I was in from 7.30 till 10.30. Then there's emergency calls sometimes which invariably come at incredibly anti-social hours!

Don't get me wrong, there are other days when there's very little to do and therefore few hours involved. Haha, the time fluctuations make it very difficult to make plans outside of work mind you, because you just never know ahead with of time when you're going to be off for certain!

My point is, it's very easy for.people to turn around and say "all landlords/agents are dicks who act unreasonably", and while that does describe some people in the game, I could give you plenty of examples of landlords/agents bending over backwards to help tenants who subsequently treat them and the property like dirt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mopey wrote: »

That smiley almost makes it look like you consider this outcome to be a victory of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Short notice inspections and just popping in to check things seem to be a reoccuring issue. I really dont see how hard it is to give notice.

I had a landlord let himself in and start painting the kitchen on a Saturday afternoon without telling us.

Advertisement