Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There goes my hero.....

Options
  • 07-01-2010 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

This is a thread for all the people you admire.

Here's a few of mine:

Laura Marling:simply because she's the same age as me and she has one album out and another on the way
    Tim Burton:Because he's the coolest man on earth. fact.
    Harry Clarke:best artist ever
    Audrey Tautou: she's elegant
    Max Fischer: cool kid :P

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd recommend people explain their choices here, otherwise it could end up seeming like a clone of the Celebrity Crushes thread.

I'll be back tomorrow to explain why Peter Schmeichel was my only childhood hero :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Ferris Bueller. Just..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Matt Tong (Lightning fast fills and precision skills make him a truly great rock/punk drummer.

DJ Shadow (Anyone who can create an album entirely from samples and make it sound that good is great in my book.)

Lee Child (Real name, Jim Grant for creating a memorable action hero in Jack Reacher)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Frank Black / Black Francis. He's gone through a dozen or so periods of utter classness, be it the primal tenacity of Pixies, the poppy ingenuity of his early solo work, the more introspective yet rockin' americana of the Catholics, the country stomp of his Nashville albums, the return to abrasiveness circa 2007/08, or finally the electro-pop (!) loveliness of his new Grand Duchy project. I've also seen him in concert four times, managing to nail two separate autographs in the process. And having completed writing all that, I've just downloaded the Purple Tape and am listening to it for the first time. :DJust get me a room with him, half an hour will be enough time.

Other people: Bob Mould (probably my favourite guitarist of all-time); Andy Cole (never seemed to be appreciated enough); Martin Scorsese.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Ferris Bueller. Just..
    He's everything anyone could ever aspire to be. His outlook on life is something I try to utilise on a day to day basis. I love this line
    Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    I try to remind myself of that when I can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

My mother.
    No need to explain this one, she's a smashing broad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Slash - He is the reason I took up guitar. Has given me endless hours of fun since.

Augusto Odone - Amazing determination

The four horsemen - doing their bit to put religion and pseudo-sciences where they belong; in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

David Gilmour - The voice of Pink Floyd. Roger Waters doesn't have a thing on him when it comes to singing. He's also my favourite guitarist of all time almost purely because of the solo in Comfortably Numb.

Quentin Tarrantino is also a hero of mine. His films are all so fantastically over the top with the storylines and the violence. What a guy.

Nurses. Despite the awful amount of crap they put up with, they still do freakin good jobs.

There are more I can't think of right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I wouldn't call her a hero, but I really admire Taylor Swift. She's just turned 20, has 2 albums. She's won 48 out of 62 awards she was nominated for, including Artist of the year at the American Music Awards and the Billboard music awards. She's also nominated for 8 grammys this year.
    But she hasn't let any of that affect her attitude. I saw her live, she came down to the back of the audience, played a few songs there, then started walking through the crowd to the stage, hugging fans as she went.

Ok, so maybe she is a bit of a hero to me, but how many people can say they've done that at that age. I think it's amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

kateos2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call her a hero, but I really admire Taylor Swift. She's just turned 20, has 2 albums. She's won 48 out of 62 awards she was nominated for, including Artist of the year at the American Music Awards and the Billboard music awards. She's also nominated for 8 grammys this year.
    But she hasn't let any of that affect her attitude. I saw her live, she came down to the back of the audience, played a few songs there, then started walking through the crowd to the stage, hugging fans as she went.

Ok, so maybe she is a bit of a hero to me, but how many people can say they've done that at that age. I think it's amazing.

Yo kateos2, I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish, but Beyoncé is the best hero OF ALL TIME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

kateos2 wrote: »

Ya I love her aswell! She's so nice...and I know her songs aren't ground breaking or whatever but she writes them all herself and they're really really good!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

article-1022460-0156355D00000578-541_468x393.jpg

Ryan Giggs.

Joined Manchester United as a schoolboy, despite offers from Manchester City. Made his first appearance at the age of 18, and almost 20 years later, is still tearing apart defences in the Premier League.

4 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, 2 Champions Leagues, and the astounding feat. of 11 Premier League titles, make him one of the most decorated footballers of all time.

In May 2008 he became Manchester United's all-time leading appearance maker, passing Sir Bobby Charlton's record of 758 appearances. He is now on well over 800.

In April 2009, at the age of 35, he was voted PFA Player of the Year by his fellow professionals.

In December 2009 he became the first footballer to win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award since David Beckham in 2001.

All through his career he has remained the definitive one-club man. Turning down offers from Inter Milan several years ago, when it looked like his playing career was winding down. He has never wanted to, or even looked like leaving his boyhood club.

And in spite of all of his career achievements, he has remained the same humble, quiet, unassuming man he always has been.

Among other things, he has spent countless hours campaigning for UNICEF in recent years, visiting the poorest areas of Africa and Asia many times.

The word 'legend' is bandied about far too much these days, but none deserve that title more than this man.

Ryan Giggs, will tear you apart, again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Yo kateos2, I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish, but Beyoncé is the best hero OF ALL TIME.

Hey Pygmalion do you like Fishsticks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Ryan Giggs.

Add him to my list as well - before Andy Cole's retirement he was always my second favourite footballer. Absolute legend - how many times has he executed a perfect through ball that then resulted in a goal?
    Joined Manchester United as a schoolboy, despite offers from Manchester City. .

Despite? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Monzo wrote: »
    Despite? :D

Maybe not the right word to use admittedly, but IIRC he had played for City Schoolboys before United offered a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Pioneered industrial metal, helped Marilyn Manson break out (He might be as boring as fúck now, but he released 2 or 3 excellent albums), continues to to write phenomenal music to this day, helped popularise the usage of the creative commons license in music and so on......

trent-reznor.jpg

*salutes Mr Reznor*

• Registered Users Posts: 36 D-K

Lance Armstrong....What a man, if ever you need a bit of inspiration to achieve something look to this man!

D-K wrote: »
    Lance Armstrong....What a man, if ever you need a bit of inspiration to achieve something look to this man!

His cameo in Dodgeball summed up what a legend he is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Lady Gaga- I wish I were cool enough to wear some of the stuff she does.

Lady-GaGa-Kermit-the-Frog.jpg

• Advertisement

George Orwell. One of my favourite writers and a man who devoted much of his life to fighting against tyranny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Bear Grylls. He called one of his kids Marmaduke...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Paramore for me :)

when you consider how young they all are, and the fact that they currently have 3 albums out and are fast becoming one of the most successful, and popular, bands playing at the moment! they are my heroes cause they have done everything i want to and age-wise they're parallel with me which makes it feel a little bit closer to home

Paramore, you just rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

cork*girl wrote: »
    pitty their music is ****e..

that really was a pointless comment with no merit at all

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

kev_s88 wrote: »
    that really was a pointless comment with no merit at all

I've deleted cork*girl's post. I'd appreciate a bit more common sense when it comes to criticising people's choices in this thread. Shite doesn't count as proper criticism. I'm leaving the quote in kev's comment so everyone will know what sort of rubbish not to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

jeesh! Just my opinion!! :eek:

My Hero:

Donal Og - What a man. A true hero! Go read his book ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

cork*girl wrote: »
    jeesh! Just my opinion!! :eek:

Pity your opinion is shíte.

*dont ban meh, I was just giving her a taste of her own medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Johnny Cash. He completely changed country music for life, from crap about unrequited love to hard real life issues. He definitely made country music cool. I also love his lyrics. He also had a sad but, very interesting life. Go watch walk the line.

johnny-cash-in-january-1960.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Terry Gilliam - Fantastic director, does not conform to regular mainstream movie making techniques and if he writes a film he wants the audience to have to think. :)

Jim Henson - He created the muppets. Nuff said.

Walt Disney - Another visionary

Tom Waits - Fantastic lyricist and musician. His experimental style of music (hitting a chest of drawers with a 2x4 on his album raindogs to get the sound he wanted) is fantastic.

James Hetfield - He's awesome. :p

John Williams - Created some of the best movie scores imaginable.

Alex Lifesn/ Geddy Lee/ Neil Peart - Outstanding musicians. Created some of the greatest songs ever.

Steve Howe - One of my favourite guitarists.

I could keep going :p I've had so many over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭msbrightside

Ok some of the people i admire is already here (johnny cash, ferris bueller!)
    but i also really admire Katie Taylor and Stevie Wonder.
    I play alot of sports myself and Katie Taylor is someone i really aspire to be like. She is extremely determined and talented. She has worked so hard to be the best in her field of sport and now her hard work is paying off. i could go on..but i'd just bore everyone!
    and Stevie wonder - what's not to admire about him? so talented and i love his music a lot.

Advertisement