Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Scene"

Options
  • 06-01-2010 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭

Prompted by the "need to meet decent gays" thread, I got wondering what the term "the Scene" means. Wikipedia has no article on it. Urban Dictionary - nada. So, I guess that it is a subjective concept.

Naturally, the scene includes gay bars. Probably the Pride parade as well. However, I feel that there's more to it. The term "one of them" cropped up too, and seemed to cause a bit of a kerfuffle. I took this phrase to mean "a member of the Scene". I think the reason it may have irritated some people is that "the Scene" means different things to different people. It would appear that, despite the ambiguity in meaning, that most people are black-and-white about their "membership" - i.e. they either do or don't go on the Scene.

I don't think it's confined to age, social status, spending-power, or education. Personal tastes - somewhat. A lover of pop-music is more likely than a metal-head to be on the Scene. However, there's sporty and non-sporty, fashionistas and, uh, non-fashionistas. Etc.

Actually, this post is making even less sense to me now than when I started, but I'm still interested in others' opinions so I'll post it anyway. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think that "the scene" means in a lot of peoples minds - Gay pubs such as The George, The Dragon, Pantibar

I don't think there is much more to it than pubs and possibly pride parades to be honest

In my view - there are a lot of things that are LGBT community but non scene - e.g. Outhouse, A lot of the sports teams etc, social groups (although some of these crossover onto the scene)

I think that in Dublin - gay pubs are quite homogenous in culture (not entirely) and that people associate Dublin gay pubs with a culture of pop/disco music, drag queens, camp gay men and lecherous older men -

In many other countries Gay Pubs are much more heterogenous - there are places for gay rockers, gay indies, fetish, leather, rave, bears, etc

In saying all that - you can find different stuff if you look - for examples bear nights, fetish nights and indie nights even though it is very limited

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    In many other countries Gay Pubs are much more heterogenous - there are places for gay rockers, gay indies, fetish, leather, rave, bears, etc
    Very true. The only gay bars outside of Ireland I've been to are in Paris and Nice. Paris obviously has a lot of different bars, and Nice too has a specific leather/bear bar.
    In saying all that - you can find different stuff if you look - for examples bear nights, fetish nights and indie nights even though it is very limited
    The same way that "straight" bars/clubs had a gay night, which eventually lead to there being gay bars in their own right, I imagine this is how different "themed" bars will begin. Panti atm has a bear-night; sooner or later (probably later) bear-bars will come about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I think that in Dublin - gay pubs are quite homogenous in culture (not entirely) and that people associate Dublin gay pubs with a culture of pop/disco music, drag queens, camp gay men and lecherous older men -
    Wooah! Who are these people and have they actually been to a gay club in Dublin before making such wide sweeping generalisations?

azezil wrote: »
    Wooah! Who are these people and have they actually been to a gay club in Dublin before making such wide sweeping generalisations?

See This thread and here

I wasn't actually stating that these assumptions were true - just that these are assumptions that people have

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

The scene is like marmite, you either love it or you hate it and this will colour your perception of it. For some the scene is all about community whether this is a social club, a sports team or activism. Even the bars and clubs can have a community feel to them, there is only so long that someone can hang out somewhere without becoming a "local" and getting to know people.

For those that hate it, it can isolated and unfriendly which is understandable. When I first came out, I expected a ready made community of people that would help me come to terms with my sexuality. It was more my problem than had anything to do with the scene.

In my opinion, the variety of nights out and events is getting better all the time. And if you are not catered for, do something about it and set something up on your own accord with some like minded people- no perve is an island;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

I love when people complain about "lecherous" old men, as if young men are any better! I'd be offended if I were 20 years older haha.

You're right though, the Dublin gay scene is RATHER homogenous. Sure there's bear night in panti once a month, and "indie" night ait ait there too (it's not really indie... it's barely distinguishable from any other club night but there's great cake!). All the other nights, SPICE, Phromo etc are basically the same as an average saturday night in any of the gay clubs. Although there is Party Monster but I've never been so I don't know what it's like.

Anyway to me, "the scene" just refers to the gay bars/clubs in Dublin really. I wouldn't consider the pride parade related really. I definitely wouldn't include the Boilerhouse, but that's probably because most people in Ireland don't have a very good view of saunas but in other countries saunas/sex clubs/darkrooms are part and parcel of gay life.

All that said though, I do think there's subtle differences in the kind of crowds and atmosphere you get in different places. Panti is more laid back, probably an older crowd, more easy going in general. The Dragon also has a slightly older crowd and the music tends to be longer dance remixes rather than the short club remixes you get elsewhere. The G is full of twinks and guys who like twinks, loads of women (straight and gay). Phromo is also 90% twinks and young women, lots of gays with odd hair etc etc.

So yes it's pretty samey in terms of music etc but I think each venue/night has its own feel to it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

is the "scene" not that place where people prey on the not so enlightened amongst us? where men treat others that they have sex with as conquests and pass them around amongst their friends if deemed to be worthy or walk in the george or other establishments with someone on their arm like a trophy?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    is the "scene" not that place where people prey on the not so enlightened amongst us? where men treat others that they have sex with as conquests and pass them around amongst their friends if deemed to be worthy or walk in the george or other establishments with someone on their arm like a trophy?

No - that's your perception of it

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

No - that's your perception of it
    Perception is reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Perception is reality.

I think you mean "language is constitutive". :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

There is no spoon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The scene. Just thinking about this thing the other night. If I had to rely on the scene for happiness, joy, love, passion and romance, I'd die alone and sad.

I highlighted the I in the above sentence because I realise that the things I listed can be found anywhere if you're in the right place at the right time and you're willing. But I can't ever see the scene being the right place for me. Fair play to you if it is for you.

Advertisement