Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools Closed (Nationally)

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

RTE dont seem to know there geography very well I can see a few schools in the wrong county list.
    Postal address may vary even if the school is in another county eg Graiguecullen is in Laois but for postal purposes letters may be sent Graiguecullen, Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Wow, that's one real long list...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Cian92 wrote: »
    eh no you don't. Apparently "The board of management should make all reasonable efforts to make up these school days during the remainder of the same school year."

Your school would be crazy to make up these extra days.

Yes a school must be open for a certain number of days each year. Some schools differ and may have days to spare, most will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

close the colleges..cancel the tests!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lauralee28

well they HAVE to find extra days to make up for the snow days, tis in the rules :)

Not the case for secondary schools :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 silverberg

Wish they'd close colleges too, for no other reason than it will be one slippy journey to take a 1 hour exam tomorrow and man am I nervous driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

blogga wrote: »
    No its not. they have to make "reasonable" efforts according to DES website. Which means management asks and is told to f*** off. Teacher unions anyone?
    INTO already came out yesterday and said 'Nuh uh...' to that. Surprise surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

I wonder what the criteria is - looking on the Midlands 103 website,two schools, (I live directly opposite) are closed, and the one that my daughter goes to is literally 2 mins up the road, and is open!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

dragona wrote: »
    I wonder what the criteria is - looking on the Midlands 103 website,two schools, (I live directly opposite) are closed, and the one that my daughter goes to is literally 2 mins up the road, and is open!

Probably if not enough teachers can make it in to look after all the students... I think there needs to be at least 1 teacher for every 30 students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Mark200 wrote: »
    Probably if not enough teachers can make it in to look after all the students... I think there needs to be at least 1 teacher for every 30 students.

Makes absolute sense - though the daughter is mightily annoyed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement