Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dance Forum Feedback - How do you want things done around here?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

jtsuited wrote: »

As far as the genres thing, I still maintain that the different interests in different genres really isn't the reason for most of the bickering.

One of the most knowledgeable and valuable posters here (imo), Cm Tyranny, is an expert in genres I wouldn't listen to in a million years but there doesn't seem to be too many 'incidences' with him and me, as it's clear he knows what he's talking about and I respect that.

We really need a blushing smiley here :)

Thing is, there's no real accounting for taste at the end of the day, and because taste is so personal people tend to get prickly when their taste is questioned, all the more so when their taste is questionable.

Mature and experienced internet users tend to possess the "social antennae" to know not to take it personally when someone tells them their favourite tune is raw sewage...

You'll notice, for example, that 99%* of the fights that break out tend to break out over matters of genre taste etc tend to be started by people with less than 100 posts, and the snidest comments will be made by people with no more or less than that.

@Zascar - if you think emireland.com requires a thick skin, you should have been on dancemusicireland.com before they banned all the most interesting posters (which is what led h3lix to set up emireland in the first place.

It's certainly not intrinsic to dance music forums that they descend into fights and bitchiness though - irishdrumandbass.com / irishdubstep.com & their "other styles" board is one of the most pathologically friendly online communities I've ever encountered, although the fact that the vast bulk of the regular posters all know each other means that real drama is pretty damn rare...

*87% of statistics are made up on the spot to make someone look clever, correct, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Ah DanceMusicIreland, good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

jtsuited wrote: »
    yes and the insight and intellectual complexity in that post is overwhelming.

for someone who is fed up with arguments, you have a very confrontational posting style.

:rolleyes:

*slow clap*

It's my opinion, I'm not getting into an argument over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

brianc27 wrote: »
    ..... everyone thinks what they listen too is better then what someone else listens too, so either ignore it or join in, its not as if anyone has ever threathened to kick someones head in, some of the best and most insightful threads ive read on music forums stem from alot of bickering between members, the moderation here is grand in comparison to the rest of boards but is pretty bad in comparison to nearly all the other electronic music forums id post on, but haven said that most of the moderation id say comes from members complaining.
    I'll kick your head in if you use "too" instead of "to" again!

As for the Mods in this Forum, they're all girls but they're good at the aul Modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Jay D wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

*slow clap*

It's my opinion, I'm not getting into an argument over it.

that's ridiculous. you say you're sick of people's petty arguing but you post your point in an argumentative and confrontational style.

• Advertisement

Ha deadly. Fighting in the Feedback thread. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I think its great and I think its also been improving over the last year or so. There seems to be a greater frequency of posting going on and more of a sense of community. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'll kick your head in if you use "too" instead of "to" again!

As for the Mods in this Forum, they're all girls but they're good at the aul Modding.

ive reported you too the mods, i dont have too put up with threats of phsyical violence, this board is getting too aggressive, head over too EMI if you want to be a hard man, we just want to talk about our love for tiesto and bangin sexy electro house on here.

Thread is turning into a Golden Moment tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Lately I have been a little bored with this forum...same 'ol topics over and over again.

I would like to see people introduce more up to date and relevant topics to the forum. New events, artists, releases etc. deserve to be properly discussed, not just some buried post in the "New Tunes" thread...many even without a thanks, never mind a comment or debate. It's much more interesting and stimulating to discuss new content rather than reading people reminiscing over the gigs of the yesteryears and archaic tune preferences.

Last but not least, I do think people need to lighten up and not take things so much to heart. This forum is very well moderated and I have seen very little offensive content worthy of getting worked up over.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

acman wrote: »
    Lately I have been a little bored with this forum...same 'ol topics over and over again.

I would like to see people introduce more up to date and relevant topics to the forum. New events, artists, releases etc. deserve to be properly discussed, not just some buried post in the "New Tunes" thread...many even without a thanks, never mind a comment or debate. It's much more interesting and stimulating to discuss new content rather than reading people reminiscing over the gigs of the yesteryears and archaic tune preferences.

Last but not least, I do think people need to lighten up and not take things so much to heart. This forum is very well moderated and I have seen very little offensive content worthy of getting worked up over.

I agree and not unlike what I said earlier in the thread. A vast amount of knowledge here and it would be great to see more input and information about new releases etc from people about their preferred genres.

acman wrote: »

Yeah, I never look in the new tunes thread, and I think it should be locked and seperate threads made for when people talk about releases - you don't see the Rock & Metal forum talking about their devil music in one big gargantuan thread... There's plenty of themed threads that get made that concentrate tunes without clogging the forum up too much anyway, and I'm on a wack computer at the moment that seizes up entirely every time I open a thread with with more than one youtube clip embedded, and it's running ubuntu and i can't add the flashblocker extension because i lost the root password...

Also, a Polish mate of mine who runs a Dublin based free net label was well puzzled someone moved / deleted the thread he made about a free album release... It's hardly "advertising" if you're giving something away for free, surely?

Also, a Polish mate of mine who runs a Dublin based free net label was well puzzled someone moved / deleted the thread he made about a free album release... It's hardly "advertising" if you're giving something away for free, surely?
    It was deleted? Booo-urns!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A note on this. I'm not sure what thread you are referring to, but if it was a brand new poster promoting this then it was likely deleted. We do get a large amount of crap posted from all over the world and is just pretty blatent advertising.. If you tell your mate to drop us a PM we can sort.

In general we will try to differentiate between users of the forum and advertisers but sometimes get it wrong. The best idea for anyone who is new but genuine is to send a PM before posting, this will probably avoid the thread being deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah, I never look in the new tunes thread, and I think it should be locked and seperate threads
    I was thinking this myself. There is too much variation in one thread. I think we should have maybe a few separate threads for each style perhaps, not too many maybe just 3 or 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭francois

Zascar wrote: »
    I was thinking this myself. There is too much variation in one thread. I think we should have maybe a few separate threads for each style perhaps, not too many maybe just 3 or 4?

That will be fine until the genre fascists start arguing over which genre it really is :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Its almost unavoidable but I think I'll put a request that we try to avoid doing this. Maybe start a thread specifically for genre debates even hahaha.

Any suggestions for genre split? I'd say one for tech house & techno - possibly even minimal in there too. One for house/electro etc. We already have a dubstep thread - can we put something else in there like dnb/breaks maybe? Possibly another for trance/hard house etc.

If someone has a good suggestion for the splits please shout

* Queue jokes on threads for Funky Uplifting Piano House / Hardcore Breaks.

Think you're overthinking it really - 99% of tunes that get posted get posted up in themed threads as it is already - "What are your current favourites" that sort of thing, just let people make seperate threads about releases they're into and see how it goes, if that doesn't work out and the board gets swamped you can think of a different strategy then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

francois wrote: »
    That will be fine until the genre fascists start arguing over which genre it really is :)

Techno alone would need about 10 threads, you cant lump wonky in with minimal or schranz with detroit. What about naples style, acid, swedish, post acid, uk, hardcore.... then you have to figure out if tech trance is techno or trance. Might be better just leave it alone and not take up half the page with new threads.

If someone is posting a new track just make sure they put an accurate(ish)genre or style/similarities description with the post. If someone just says "Techno" and i expect 145 upbeat swedish/tribal but get 125 ambient/minimal then i'll be disappointed. If someone is impressed enough with a track to post it then they should do it the service of getting the description half right. If people want to look in the thread then there's nothing stopping them finding what they're looking for by just having a glance at the accompanying comments.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    If someone is posting a new track just make sure they put an accurate(ish)genre or style/similarities description with the post. If someone just says "Techno" and i expect 145 upbeat swedish/tribal but get 125 ambient/minimal then i'll be disappointed. If someone is impressed enough with a track to post it then they should do it the service of getting the description half right.
    That should be the case when every posts a link to any type of track or video. You end up just getting bored clicking on links that of a style that you don't like, and as a result you end up possibly missing some gems.

• Advertisement

100% agree with the notes on genre etc etc when posting a track, but a lot of the time people just do not bother. So should we try to enforce a certain coding when posting a track or will that just put some people off?
    daroxtar wrote:
    Techno alone would need about 10 threads
    That's what we want to avoid really. Techno is an incredibly wide genre, we all know this. The kind of techno I'm into is primarily 127-132, but then there is also some more downtempo melodic stuff too. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are not too many people here into 150bpm stuff, I've not seen much of it anyway. But regardless I don't see why we cannot have one techno thread just as long as we put an indication as to the type of bpm or style it is.

I'm suggesting one for house/electrohouse, one for tech house and techno, and I'm looking for suggestions as to how to classify the rest, while tying to minimise the number of threads to try to cover the majority of what people here are into

100% agree with the notes on genre etc etc when posting a track, but a lot of the time people just do not bother. So should we try to enforce a certain coding when posting a track or will that just put some people off?

That's what we want to avoid really. Techno is an incredibly wide genre, we all know this. The kind of techno I'm into is primarily 127-132, but then there is also some more downtempo melodic stuff too. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are not too many people here into 150bpm stuff, I've not seen much of it anyway. But regardless I don't see why we cannot have one techno thread just as long as we put an indication as to the type of bpm or style it is.
    Well I for one ...yaddayaddayadda....127-132 is lullaby music not techno......:D.

Ok, if it was up to me i'd classify like this :
    1/Minimal, Tech house/Deep house/house.
    2/Techno.
    3/Electro, Breaks and dubstep.
    4/DnB, Jungle, Hardcore, breakcore, speed core and other 160+.
    5/Trance,Hard house,Hardstyle & jumpstyle.
    6/Electronica and Ambient.
    7/Dance to Tipperary

Some fans of different genres will be abhorred by that but thats just my take on it and then you have 7 threads taking up a load of space when 1 was doing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Well I for one ...yaddayaddayadda....127-132 is lullaby music not techno......:D.

Ok, if it was up to me i'd classify like this :
    1/Minimal, Tech house/Deep house/house.
    2/Techno.
    3/Electro, Breaks and dubstep.
    4/DnB, Jungle, Hardcore, breakcore, speed core and other 160+.
    5/Trance,Hard house,Hardstyle & jumpstyle.
    6/Electronica and Ambient.
    7/Dance to Tipperary

Some fans of different genres will be abhorred by that but thats just my take on it and then you have 7 threads taking up a load of space when 1 was doing the job.

seems reasonable to me.

I don't claim to be any techno expert but a simple look at the 'Techo' categories on beatport, whatpeopeplay and juno etc, most of it is sub 130 or so - I hear very little 135+ in my searching. Anyway, we digress... :D

What does anyone think as to suggested splits? I think 7 is too many - you'll find 2 will be very popular, another 2 only a little and the rest barely at all...

I don't claim to be any techno expert but a simple look at the 'Techo' categories on beatport, whatpeopeplay and juno etc, most of it is sub 130 or so - I hear very little 135+ in my searching. Anyway, we digress... :D

What does anyone think as to suggested splits? I think 7 is too many - you'll find 2 will be very popular, another 2 only a little and the rest barely at all...

There have already been threads here on about what beatport call techno and imo 90% of it aint what I'd call techno, and in my head my opinion is by far the most important one:):)
    Now we're entering a whole new game of soldiers ... like i said, 1 thread would probably do fine if used right.

Personally I'd rather just keep Jungle, Dubstep, Grime, UK Funky and DnB to one thread and keep anything ending in "-core" to it's own thread.

Breakcore has nothing in common with what i'm into, you might as well have techno and hard house and trance sharing a thread because they share a BPM count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

1/Techno, Minimal, Tech house/Deep house/house.
    2/Trance,Hard house,Hardstyle & jumpstyle.
    3/DnB, Jungle,
    4/Electronica and Ambient.
    5/Tiesto

He has to get his own Thread
    TiestoDJ.jpg

5/Tiesto

He has to get his own Thread
    TiestoDJ.jpg

Deadmau5 is gonna be sooooooooo jealous

Advertisement