Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 courses in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Cork is well worth a trip Fix. Played it last summer and really enjoyed it. Has plenty of quirks that you'll like.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

Cork GC is the business, it's very much a thinking golfers course. Not the longest, so you have to plot your way around it. It's my favourite course, (I'm captain of my society this year and I'm having my captains prize there)

Fota is class, but can be very long. The new nine aren't all that bad, the par 3 over water and the short par 4 where the quarry cuts in are very nice holes. The rest are sort of "up and down".

Castlematyr is also very nice and well worth a visit, I passed a sign this evening saying they're offering €30 for green fee and lunch, Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Stevie555

For 45 euro Fota is worth a day out for sure even if it is the Bevelly Course you are playing. I'm a fan of Castlemartyr as well.
    Seems to be in good nick all the time and very good value for the green fee and lunch option!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Not as difficult to get out in Cork as it used to be ( same everywhere ) worth a call to the pro shop to ask for a rate , early bird available too . Get through to the pro shop extension not the office 021 4353451. The office might tend to stick to the rack rate . I'm biased but would rate Cork above Fota . That being said I'd happily play any of the courses in Fota too .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thanks lads.

I'll be playing them all at some stage.

Got enough info there now for the lads.

Have played Lee Valley - and if the other 2 are better then that - I can't wait. I'd highly rate Lee Valley.

I've played Cobh too.

Cork lads are sound "like".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

1 cork
    2 old head
    3 fota
    4 bantry
    5 muskerry
    6 bandon
    7 Macroom
    8 lee valley
    9 castlemartyr
    10 mallow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

1 cork
    2 old head
    3 fota
    4 bantry
    5 muskerry
    6 bandon
    7 Macroom
    8 lee valley
    9 castlemartyr
    10 mallow

Good list. Think I'd leave out Macroom, Mallow, Bantry and put in Douglas Kinsale & Blarney instead.
    Haven't played Bantry so that's why I'd have to leave it out
    Also I rate Fota ahead of Cork for some reason, just a personal preference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

1 Old Head
    2 Fota
    3 Cork
    4 Douglas
    5 Lee Valley
    6 Castlemartyr
    7 Bandon
    8 Muskerry
    9 Mallow
    10 Macroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Having lived In Cork for any year I've played nearly all the courses down there, I'd rate them in order below.

1:Cork gc (best traditional parkland in Ireland IMO)
    2.Fota
    3:Old Head
    4:Douglas
    5:Castlemartyr
    6:Muskerry
    7:monkstown
    8:Cobh
    9:mallow
    10:Bandon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

big_drive wrote: »
    Good list. Think I'd leave out Macroom, Mallow, Bantry and put in Douglas Kinsale & Blarney instead.

Cant abide Blarney or Kinsale myself. Would definitely have Macroom and Mallow before them both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

Seems the top 3 are pretty straightforward for most people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Seems the top 3 are pretty straightforward for most people!

I'll be playing all three this weekend. Really looking forward to seeing the new changes at Cork GC. I'm told the new bunkering (back to a more traditional Alister MacKenzie style) is excellent.

Very difficult to rate Fota over Cork or vice versa - they're very different courses offering very different experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

I'll be playing all three this weekend. Really looking forward to seeing the new changes at Cork GC. I'm told the new bunkering (back to a more traditional Alister MacKenzie style) is excellent.

Very difficult to rate Fota over Cork or vice versa - they're very different courses offering very different experiences.

I was a bit harsh in saying I'd drive past Fota to play Cork. Far Better way to put it. Definitely cork is a bit more forgiving with the big stick as it's a bit shorter than Rota(thinking of 11 here).
    Hadn't realised they've done a bit of work regarding bunkers must play it again now...

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Definitely cork is a bit more forgiving with the big stick .

Are you sure you've played Fota???? You nearly have to hit it into Kerry to lose a ball! Plenty of tough driving holes in Cork - rough and trees either side of 11 with the new bunker......not an easy drive.

1 Cork
    2 Old head
    3 Castlemartyr
    4 Fota
    5 Lee Valley
    6 Mallow
    7 Charleville
    8 Macroom
    9 Cobh

Corkblowin wrote: »
    Are you sure you've played Fota???? You nearly have to hit it into Kerry to lose a ball! Plenty of tough driving holes in Cork - rough and trees either side of 11 with the new bunker......not an easy drive.

You're right. I just woke up there on the 18th after a hard night's boozing once.

I find Cork easier off the box, that 11 is often downwind and no more than 4 or 5 iron for me. How many fellas are stuck under the trees left trying to drive it!

Can never bring a good game to Fota myself just giving my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

They can be both tough on the driver, but in different ways. If you're not straight in Cork you'll find a lot of rough and the last time i played there the rough was very long, but you could easily play the course with a lot of 3w or hybrids off the tee. Fota on the other hand is very long, and while its also very open so you don't really spend a lot of time looking for wayward tee shots, if you're not bombing the driver you're in for a long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did I really see Frankfield mentioned in someone's Top 10, christ I'd barely put it in the top 10 fields next to dual carriageways in Cork. The only good thing it has at the moment is the driving range is the only one on the southside not the one in Carrigaline shut up shop.

Have to mention Waterrock here as a green fees only course it's fantastic, they rent clubs for free too provided you have a HC. That bloody 18th is a killer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

slingerz wrote: »

Mallow is in absolute superb condition at the moment ,as a long time member I've never seen it looking better .
    They have got the greens right after years of trouble.
    Some nice new back marker tee boxes too ,bit of extra length.
    Its a better course than the others now ,its also playable all year round due to the drainage improvements.

I didnt think much of Blarney ,very poorly maintained and short.
    Really looking forward to seeing the new changes at Cork GC. I'm told the new bunkering (back to a more traditional Alister MacKenzie style) is excellent.
    Yeah the new bunkers are the best I have ever played from ,the sand is lovely and soft and they drain perfectly.
    Tee boxes are great too ,very level.

Course is nice but a bit too short ,if you drive the ball well there its quite easy . You could hit a 3 wood off most tees there .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thanks for all the pms and tips.

Boards when it works can be class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pinseeker

hades wrote: »
    They can be both tough on the driver, but in different ways. If you're not straight in Cork you'll find a lot of rough and the last time i played there the rough was very long, but you could easily play the course with a lot of 3w or hybrids off the tee. Fota on the other hand is very long, and while its also very open so you don't really spend a lot of time looking for wayward tee shots, if you're not bombing the driver you're in for a long day.

Fota is very much a grip it and rip it type course, off the whites i wouldn't call it very long to be fair. 8 and 2 are the only long par 4s really and out over the bunkers on both can leave wedge, in right conditions. haven't played cork in long time but you def feel like you need to hit it much straighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

The bunkering in Cork is not a more traditional Alister MacKenzie bunkering. Yes, more sand visible but do not blend in well with the surroundings which he was really good at. Also each bunker is the same, very little variety between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

The bunkering in Cork is not a more traditional Alister MacKenzie bunkering. Yes, more sand visible but do not blend in well with the surroundings which he was really good at. Also each bunker is the same, very little variety between them.

I guess I'll find out soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I haven't played Douglas, but kinsale and blarney are just windswept fields in my book. Very few interesting holes in either, exposed and boring. I agree mallow isn't fantastic, but I'm a former member of Macroom and I think it's a hidden gem. For something like 20 quid greenfee it's a steal. Tough, tight front 9, with a back nine I've shot between 38 and 53 on. If you're on song you'll run in a score, but if not it can kick your ass.

I think muskerry is a cracker too. 6 and 15 are two of the most original par 3s in the country.

Lee valley is wildly overrated in my book. Great greens, but the tees and rough are untidy every time I'm out there. Lots of unmemorable holes.

Cork is very original. Few courses like it anywhere.

I like charleville too actually (well the old 18), and water rock is a cracker for a pay and play. A bit generous off the tee, but I'd love to see it setup tough with long rough and back tees like you would for a captains/presidents.

Lisselan is a quirky little gem too, but I'm bigoted against 9 holers.

Whoever mentioned frankfield needs to report to the men in white coats. I'm surprised you didn't put Ballinamona in there (remember that "gem"?). you needed a lawnmower and a hardhat to play that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Mallow is in absolute superb condition at the moment ,as a long time member I've never seen it looking better .
    They have got the greens right after years of trouble.
    Some nice new back marker tee boxes too ,bit of extra length.
    Its a better course than the others now ,its also playable all year round due to the drainage improvements.

I didnt think much of Blarney ,very poorly maintained and short.

Blarney short? I wouldn't have thought so. I don't think there is many par 70 courses longer than it in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Whoever mentioned frankfield needs to report to the men in white coats. I'm surprised you didn't put Ballinamona in there (remember that "gem"?). you needed a lawnmower and a hardhat to play that place.

I had the misfortune of playing that place a few years ago.:o
    I turned up expecting something decent but boy was I in for a surprise.

Half of the course was overgrown by gorse and high grass at that stage and the owner had rerouted alot of the remaining holes.
    It was basically just a big windswept field with a few pins in it .
    There was gravel in the bunkers instead of sand .
    I played the nine holes and left,I was 2 under it was so easy.

A shame it was neglected as from looking around it the original layout had potential ,there were some nice features but it had gone to rack and ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Cork Golf Club is the finest test of golf in Cork, you have to hit the ball to the right spot or you're doomed!It's a clever,fair and testing course where you are made to think your way around.(Not a member,but have played there many times to Barton Shield level)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

New 13th on Old Head is a treat! A fantastic par 3 and a great addition to the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Dermoth wrote: »
    New 13th on Old Head is a treat! A fantastic par 3 and a great addition to the course.

I like the look of that hole now. The old 13th was a bland and featureless especially coming after the jawdropping 12th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

denisoc16 wrote: »
    I like the look of that hole now. The old 13th was a bland and featureless especially coming after the jawdropping 12th.

IMO the more you played the "old" 13th, the more interesting it is. The green is very tricky. BTW - that hole is still there. The new 13th isn't fully open yet. I get your point about it being nowhere near as dramatic as the 12th. I think the new hole is just as impressive as the 12th in terms of a challenge.

Advertisement