Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vancouver 2010

Options
  • 05-01-2010 1:25pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just been having a bit of a browse around to check when things kick off. Had a quick look on the RTE website though and their Winter Olympics stories are 4 years old, are there any Irish competitors to watch out for this year?

Found the schedule of events here, the times are 8 hours behind:
    http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-schedule-results/

I'd guess that BBC will be our best bet for watching anything, but cannot find any clue yet as to what kind of coverage they will be showing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

im in vancouver now and i've been doing some research on the net, and apart from the olympic council site there isnt much about the irish at all.

this is actually my first visit to the boards winter section, to se if i could find out more.

there is a very very large amount of irish over here living and working and im sure they would love to go and support them.

imo the irish olympic council should organise some sort of event over here so we could all at least show the few that are competing, we're supporting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I was looking for info on this Skier http://www.kirstenmcgarry.com/default2.asp hope she will be skiing, we got an excellent ski lesson from her sister this year, she mentioned she was hoping to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

I live in Whistler,but like many folk i am being kicked out of my place here so my landlord can cash in for the month of February,i have'nt heard anything of any irish competing,there are a few Irish here in town living and working right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

No Irish competitors !!!!
    I'd have done it - why didn't they tell me they were stuck!!!!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but looks like there might be an Irish bobsleigh team:

http://www.olympicsport.ie/News.aspx?pageId=35&itemId=921

But they still have to qualify yet, which seems a bit late to be leaving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

Shane O' Connor will be competing in the men's slalom for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

robinph wrote: »

I'd guess that BBC will be our best bet for watching anything, but cannot find any clue yet as to what kind of coverage they will be showing.

Eurosport will be showing the whole thing in HD and there will be wall to wall coverage. BBC, I'm sure, will show alot too, but it will be on the red button (for those that have it). BBC actually show alot of live skiing (downhill, slalom etc.) but its not on the main channel.

If rte do cover it, it will be so dumbed down for irish viewers that it will be unwatchable.

I want to compete in the GS
    Think I'm too late ???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

We had a potential figure skater, but she didn't make it through the last round :(

I'm not kidding. I want to compete! How do I go about it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

There was an article in yesterdays Sunday Tribune about the olympic rower Paul Griffin who is trying to qualify in Cross Country sking. He competed for us in this years world championships

He has reached the B standard but is in competition with a guy called PJ Barron, who is a Scot who declared for us under the parentage rule. They will know in the next ten days who will be selected

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

From an article in the times on Monday, it looks like Kirsty McGarry is racing GS too....Eurosport will defo have the best coverage but you'll have to put up with figure skating and curling!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

There was an article in yesterdays Indo about Paul Griffin. It was an interesting read too. He's trying to qualify for VC 2010 in the cross country skiing. He'll only be the 3rd Irish person to go to both Summer & Winter Olympics if he makes it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It looks like there a several potential Irish competitors in a few different events then, just we don't quite know yet due to all this pre qualifying going on.

It looks like there a several potential Irish competitors in a few different events then, just we don't quite know yet due to all this pre qualifying going on.

Is there any site that lists the potential competitors or when the final team will be announced? If I recall correctly the Griffin article stated that he would know if he made the B standard next week. Cheers.

I had a look around the Irish Olympic site the other week and didn't find a while lot of up to date information on the team on there for this years Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

I'm not kidding. I want to compete! How do I go about it ?

First you gotta take up ski racing, apply to the Snowsports Association of Ireland for your Federation International de Ski (FIS) license, compete in some FIS races and do well enough in them to get ranked first in Ireland or in the top 500 in the World (1st Irish is much, much easier), easy!... or maybe not.... at all.....

jimdev wrote: »
    First you gotta take up ski racing, apply to the Snowsports Association of Ireland for your Federation International de Ski (FIS) license, compete in some FIS races and do well enough in them to get ranked first in Ireland or in the top 500 in the World (1st Irish is much, much easier), easy!... or maybe not.... at all.....

Might be easier to get a seat in the middle of a 4 man bob, and you'd need to find another three guys that are very good sprinters.

Screw that running lark...:D

FIS races.....intriging.....how much would all this cost me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

opinion guy More money than you can shake a stick at!! Skiing is not a cheap sport and the standard is incredibly high. Shane is going to race for Ireland and he is really pushing the standard for Irish male skiers

His Blog is here if you are intrested http://shaneskiracing.wordpress.com/

The gap between Shane & one or two others and the rest is huge!

Kirsty is also going and there will be a cross country and skeleton competitors

• Advertisement

Ah yeah no doubt the standards are high....I'm not saying I don't need some training.....and some fitness......and some cash...and some luck.......and to be ten years younger........:D
    But I dunno....I've seen some pro skiiers ski....and I dunno I look at them and just think.....goddammit i could do that :eek::D:P
    What i can't do is the jumping and tricks. or mountian biking.....god damn that just insane....

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Ski racers are insane,the speed the go at on basically a sheet of ice,it's a very hardcore sport

How about Curling, you don't need to be nuts to do that?

gavkm27 wrote: »
    Ski racers are insane,the speed the go at on basically a sheet of ice,it's a very hardcore sport

Yup see thats pretty much what doesn't put me off. i loooovvvveeeee the speed!! Probably more into going fast down an icy piste than carving powder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Yeah they make it look easy but can you imagine trying to force your body across a pair of skis while going down a sheet of ice at 140 KPH while being pushed backwards.!

The guys are nuts and some of the slopes are scary!

I have done the Lake Louise Downhill 5 minutes slower than the races and I did the whole thing in a race tuck at full pelt:eek:

There is an over 30's FIS race scene if you wanted to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

How about Curling, you don't need to be nuts to do that?

you dont need to be anything to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Info on some of the Irish contigent heading to Vancouver next month:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other/2010/0116/winterolympics.html

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Mr Ed wrote: »
    Info on some of the Irish contigent heading to Vancouver next month:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other/2010/0116/winterolympics.html

Fairplay to the bob team, heard one of them on the radio a few weeks back and she was confident they would qualify
    Shane O'Connor qualified a while back
    Not certain what's going on re Ms McGarry, seemed to be a lot more activity from her 4 yrs back. It says she is injured at the moment but seems to have the place if she wants it. Is she training as much as she was 4 yrs back?
    Interesting that we have a skeleton participant again, wonder can he better Clifton's 4th?
    Skelton/Luge and Bob should be events that we target. Team GB have targetted these and look like they will take a medal home with them. They suffer from the same lack of infrastructure as we do. We just need a few ex sprinters to lose their sanity and take these up.

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    We just need a few ex sprinters to lose their sanity and take these up.

Um wouldn't we need some sprinters first in order to have some ex-sprinters?

• Advertisement

Did a quick google and didn't find the Irish team listed anywhere. I'm assuming it has been finalised. Anyone know where it's listed?

15 days to go and then it will be eurosport, eurosport and more eurosport on the TV! :cool:

Advertisement