Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EP Mooney liquidation auction

Options
  • 05-01-2010 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

http://www.eauctions.ie/pages/currentsales/ep-mooney-in-liquidation.php

One would have thought the un-registered cars would have been taken by the distributors as title wouldn't have passed to EP Mooney.

A lot of good quality vehicles there unlike some of the liquidation auctions we have seen in the past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mailman wrote: »
    http://www.eauctions.ie/pages/currentsales/ep-mooney-in-liquidation.php

One would have thought the un-registered cars would have been taken by the distributors as title wouldn't have passed to EP Mooney.

I don't think the distributors give the the cars to the dealer. Don't the dealers buy the vehicles from the distributors up front then add their markup and sell them on?

I could be completely wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

If a distributor is owed money for anything including parts they usually jump in and seize their own stock before liquidator shuts up the shop.

By the quality of vehicles in the auction it looks to me that EP Mooney didn't know they were going to be shut down. Usually only muck is left by the time the liquidator has locked the place down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey folks,

EP Mooney are havin a liquidation auction this month

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0106/epmooney.html

My brother is lookin for a car at the moment and asked me to inquire on here about it.

Anyone been to one of these before? Think there was another one for a different company before Christmas. Do ya just turn up on the day? Any more details?

And are there usually good savings to be had at them?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

There can be good savings but most of these liquidation auctions are full of people there for the first time and bid up to more or less sticker price of the car at a dealer and end up with a car with zero warrenty which they would have been better of buying private. My advice would be to look at the auction list and make a shortlist of cars you are interested in and then check carzone and the likes for similar models, if it was my money I wouldn't buy anything at auction unless I was getting atleast a 30% discount on the going rate for a similar car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There was very little value at the Tom Hogan liquidation, in fact most probably sold for more than the sticker price due to gombeens thinking it was a great deal due to auction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

There were some good deals in an auction by the same crowd around april last year.. Orwell motors if I'm not mistaken, a friend got a great deal (great at that time, that is)

But not many knew about that one though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Plenty of very tidy '08 Santa Fe Autos with low mileage. Road tax could be a killer though (think they're over the 200g/Co2...)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭happyeveryday

Auction re-scheduled to 23rd Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

most 08 Santa Fe autos will have been registered before July so will be on old system

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

colm_mcm wrote: »
    most 08 Santa Fe autos will have been registered before July so will be on old system

+1

Any one registered after 1/7/2008 is subject to €1050 tax, on the old rate it is €823.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

I had a look at the catalogue and I'm thinking of going over for a look. Did anyone here buy cars off auctions before?

Looking at the T&Cs there's some really dodgy stuff there.. Like for example, you're not considered a "customer" but a "bidder" and have no consumer protection. Also they basically cover themselves for everything and guarantee nothing, not even that the cars are roadworthy!

The only thing that got me interested in this is that the cars come from EP Mooney, so if they were good enough to be in their showrooms they're probably decent enough cars. Now after reading the T&Cs I'm not so sure! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭webels

crótach wrote: »
    I had a look at the catalogue and I'm thinking of going over for a look. Did anyone here buy cars off auctions before?

Looking at the T&Cs there's some really dodgy stuff there.. Like for example, you're not considered a "customer" but a "bidder" and have no consumer protection. Also they basically cover themselves for everything and guarantee nothing, not even that the cars are roadworthy!

The only thing that got me interested in this is that the cars come from EP Mooney, so if they were good enough to be in their showrooms they're probably decent enough cars. Now after reading the T&Cs I'm not so sure! :)
    I think the auctioned is postponed to next saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Anyone been to one of these before?

It's called an 'unreserved auction' - does this mean there's no minimum price, that if I bid €500 for a car and nobody bids against me I get it?

I'd imagine that as it's a liquidation auction they basically want to get rid of everything, so no matter how low the 'highest' bid is the car will be sold for that price?...

Can anyone who is experienced in these things fill me in please?

Some nice cars on that list. I would happily take a C70 off their hands.

Did EP mooney actually sell volvos? or is it just a strange coincidence that koping motors was owned by the same family?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I heard him on Mooney (Radio 1) I think it was yesterday, he has opened again under another name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

crótach wrote: »
    That's pretty standard for auctions afaik, the idea is that you take on the extra risk of no warranty/guarantee in the hopes of getting a good bargain.

So imho in order to make buying a car at an auction a good idea you need to be getting it at a significant discount under what you would pay in a dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Bear in mind also that some of those cars still have the balance of manufacturers warranty. Many of the bigger engined cars/SUV's seem to have been reg'd in the first half of 08 to avoid the emissions based road tax, so they should still have a few months left of a 2-yr warranty, or even a year and a bit if they're 3-yr warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

I have been to a few auctions, there are bargins to be got but in recent times with more of the public going to actions looking for "bargins" some people can loose the run of things. if the see a car they like can bid it up too high and end up paying over the odds. by the time 5% buyers fee + VAT at 21% on the fees is added onto the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Apparently a certain Person is looking for a franchise from an ex Swedish come American car manufacturer. Apprently there are question marks over his/her customer satisfaction reputation and said company are looking to deny said Person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MMalone

trackcar wrote: »
    I have been to a few auctions, there are bargins to be got but in recent times with more of the public going to actions looking for "bargins" some people can loose the run of things. if the see a car they like can bid it up too high and end up paying over the odds. by the time 5% buyers fee + VAT at 21% on the fees is added onto the price.

I was at a Liquidation auction last Feb and got a jeep for considerably less than it's asking price. Thankfully I still have it, so I would recommend it,. You should have a look on Carzone to get an idea of the cars selling price before you go to the auction and that way you know when to stop bidding...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Cheers MMalone it looks like you got a great deal!

Is it worth me going up to this? I heard the dealers will outbid you all the way to just below the RRP so bergains are few and far between?

On the other hand I'm told dealers don't really want more used stock coz they can't shift their own, hence EP Mooney liquidation!!

Me confused anyone have a clearer picture than this?

Also what will the starting price be on these cars? 50% of Retail Price or higher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

E39MSport wrote: »
    Apparently a certain Person is looking for a franchise from an ex Swedish come American car manufacturer. Apprently there are question marks over his/her customer satisfaction reputation and said company are looking to deny said Person.

I actually think they've re-opened, so they must've got it in the end.

I don't see how there would be any question marks over them. From my understanding they were a very good dealer for customer service, just a little expensive for used cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

I think Koping have reopened as a service and parts agent for Volvo and not a new car dealership, good news for some of the staff laid off in the month before Christmas, hopefully they will do well.

As for the creditors of the previous Koping I really don't understand how all that works out.

Koping are/were a part of the EP Mooney group, and also EP Mooney have reopened as a Hyundai Dealership, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

That is big list of cars. I guess they will not charge for this ;)

Best value?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Mailman wrote: »

A lot of good quality vehicles there unlike some of the liquidation auctions we have seen in the past.

http://www.eauctions.ie/pages/gocart/1991-hyundai-pony-1.0-litre-petrol1350.php?p=210

yep :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Anybody going along to this auction today ? I cant go myself but would be interested in hearing what sort of prices stuff sold for.

I would expect that there will be a big turnout for this and few bargains considering the hype for this over the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

I would be interested to see what the 08 Lancer goes for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I was there this morning and of the 15 or so cars I saw sold not one was anywhere near a bargain, most sold for near retail prices without any warranty. Maybe things got better as the day went on but I didn't hang around to find out. I'd say most of the buyers knew next to nothing of the current prices of the cars they were bidding on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

yeah... friend of mine said that all the cars were going fairly expensive... surely people look up the market price before going to auctions so they would know what a bargain is... suppose not though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭baldric

Went to auction....was there for 3 hours and had my eye on 2 specific vehicles and two other types perhaps a total of 14 vehicles on which I had done my home work...ie forecourt prices, cash prices from retailers and private prices.

In every single case the price achieved or exceeded forecourt prices!!! I would reckon that these people paid in some cases 4,000 or 5,000 euros more than the cash deal they could have done with a sales man on the forecourt and perhaps by 6-8,000 euros deals that could have been done privately......it was nothing short of staggering!!! And this is for cars that may have had either no warranty or a partial warranty at best, cars that they have had no opportunity to test drive, and cars that in the main had no discernible service history.

The auctioneers played the room like a fiddle using all the tricks ( and I should know what these are!!)

If anyone out there is a journalist and wants to do a piece on mass consumer hysteria, I have a lot of the prices recorded !!

Did anyone stay to the bitter end, I left at about lot 130....I assume there was no revelation to the masses before the auctioneers put on their masks and rode out of town.:o

Advertisement