Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Market of Japanese imports...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭adigilani

==> RoverJames
    no offense taken. i have opened this thread up to have a fair idea of the game...

==> all others
    again, i do no dispute that it is probably better idea to import from uk or to buy from the auction, however as i previously stated, i wanna establish a sub office of the business in japan. It is kinda family business...

The story with the waiting period and the similar or less profit is a truth however the profit margin is there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

adigilani wrote: »
    ==> c4cat
    thanks for the guide. but again, the car is costing me 2k on the dublin port, 1700 to be precise. That includes all the charges (of japan till dublin port)
    My understand says, that i need to pay VAT on the import TAX and the (car cost + frieght charge)...
    Then comes the VRT which i need to pay on the OMSP.... the revunue.ie's vrt calculator states that the VRT is about 700 euros or less for the each car.
    80 for the NCT and the road tax should not be more than 175euro per year.
    the cost of bring the cars from dublin port to my place is already established with a guy up in dublin. which is 50€.

what you say now...

i do understand the idea of bring the car from UK or buying here in auction

but the topic of this discussion is market of japanese import cars and as all of us know, they have a good market values and not really over rated as well... giving the fact that cars are in very good conditions...

You do what you want, I have given you the benefit of my own experience for free, but just think of how much profit you will be losing while you are waiting for your car to arrive from japan and think of how many cars you could have sold from the UK whilst your car is on the water on the way from Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭adigilani

==>c4cat
    i really really appreciate your help... and not mocking you by saying that...
    i am here to gain knowledge and all the replies have helped me making up my mind...
    Please do not think that i am wasting time of any of you... just trying draining the knowledge and experiance of all of you... :-)

thank you everyone for your help and replies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

It might be a silly question but what way is the market for Japanese import cars...?

Just one thing from a buyers perspective.
    A lot of insurance companies don't like imported cars, most won't give an online quote.

Maybe it's just because I've a 2.0l Toyota Celica, but if your potential buyers are getting stiffed by insurance companies they may steer away from jap imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

@ OP

I looked at some cars on the website, the interior on this looks grubby and you could have fit a gearknob before you posted the pics;);)

media?id=6798050&width=400&height=300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

mullingar wrote: »
    @ OP

I looked at some cars on the website, the interior on this looks grubby and you could have fit a gearknob before you posted the pics;);)

media?id=6798050&width=400&height=300

Seein as the towing eye is sitting in the centre console, Id say it didnt make it under its own power either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Just another comment:

You NEVER get a second chance to make a first impression.

If I was on the market for an Altezza and came across you site, I would look else where for a cleaner looking car as a "picture paints a 1000 words", so to me that picture says that your car may be trouble as it looks neglected (even though it could be 1000% perfect).

However, if it was valeted it would generate an interest, maybe a test drive, maybe a sale.........

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

==> c4cat

the cost of bring the cars from dublin port to my place is already established with a guy up in dublin. which is 50€.

Both NVD and Crosbie's are charging 100+VAT to deliver from Dublin Docks to Limerick, with recovery firms charging double that. The only way I know of getting a car from Dublin to Limerick (similar distance to Galway) for 50 euro is a backhander to a driver to throw it up on a partially filled truck.

Also I can't see you getting over 4000 for a 03 Micra/March. I'd expect to buy a 06 Micra out of Merlin for 4000; maybe not as clean, but Irish and 3 years newer.

You will not survive on 500 euro margin on a deal that goes to plan. 500 less VAT less income tax at the low rate works out at 330. Let's say you bring in 3 of them, but one of them needs a timing chain (for example) two months after you sell it, costing you 500 euro. Then you have 490 euro margin at the end of 3 sales ... there are easier ways to make a bit of cash.

Why do refuse to listen to the advice been given here? If Jap imports were profitable, all the guys that were at it 10 years ago would start at it again, and some newcomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭biblio

Hi OP,
    Take this as an example Around here (North Cork )10-15 years ago there were at least 5 dealers selling jap imports everything from the 1.0 march to the 3.0l supra and all appeared to be doing ok, they were moving a decent volume of cars. At that time the volume seller was the small cars (usually as first cars march, starlet colt etc) and the likes of diesel corollas, coronas etc.

The higher end stuff , Celicas, 20v Corollas, GT/Glanza starlets were selling well too as the local lads into that stuff at the time always wanted to have the newest ,most unusual thing off the boat.

4x4s and people carriers were selling steadily too.

Then there were the oddballs that people who didnt know any better got landed with, 4x4 diesel starlets, colts that had nothing in common with irish cars!

Then with the NCT,owners of the cars were having difficulty getting them through tests after a few years for various reasons, emissions, difficulty obtaining replacement parts, (there were several cases of owners trying to get a replacement windscreen for a car that said it was a nissan sunny but looked like a corolla.When they eventually tracked down the bits.They had to be sent from japan at great expense)
    The word was out that there could be potential problems keeping the cars on the road due to availabilty of parts like glass,lamps, and emissions problems.

So instead of a jap micra or starlet for a first or small car people wanted Polos, Corsas etc.
    Even more recently sales of the high end GT,Celica,Altezza etc stuff crashed too as those who were buying them have less to spend. Probably due in part to the building slowdown and the general industrial decline locally anyway.

Sales of the bread and butter stuff yaris,micras,corollas etc have all but evaporated.Now there are two guys dealing in imports, one in 4x4s which still seem to be selling and the other in the high end stuff but the cars in his yard have been there for a long time.
    Thats just how I see it around here anyway.

Advertisement