Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No TV - the New Cool?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

phasers wrote: »
    I dunno, who?

That lad from the Coronas - he's sh*te at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I dunno, who?

Joe from the X-Factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ha, I can play the guitar! So your first sentence isn't correct.

Your second sentence seems so snide that its hard for me to believe that you're not one of those softly-spoken, matt-haired posers who whips out the guitar at a party and self-indulgently unloads hours of practice onto a group of people who then feel forced to pretend they give a fu'ck.
    Why do you sit and listen like you give a ****? Why not just go to a different room or set them on fire or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

ScumLord wrote: »
    Why do you sit and listen like you give a ****? Why not just go to a different room or set them on fire or something?

I go somewhere else but loads of the women present always sit around the guy playing the songs...play this song...play that song... :rolleyes:
    LOL @ the fact that a generation of spolit Irish kids who aspired to be from the O.C are now going to be subject to the undignified life of long-term unemployment

I go somewhere else but loads of the women present always sit around the guy playing the songs...play this song...play that song... :rolleyes:
    Ah so now we're getting to the bottom of things. It's just plain old jealousy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

loads of the women present always sit around the guy playing the songs...play this song...play that song... :rolleyes:
    60% of the time it works, every time.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

people that brag about not having a television are the same kind of people that take out an acoustic guitar at a party (i.e. ****)

LOL! When I read the title of this thread thats exactly what my first thought was!

I was visiting a buddy that I had not seen in a while before the christmas
    has was having a small bit of a party. Arrived down at his place that he
    was shareing with a few people, and he tells me They delibretly dont have a Telly! ........and instead for entertainment what do they do!! whip out the Acousic guitar and and play a Saw with a violin bow and have an ol sing song.

Seeing a growing trend of people I talk to say nope they dont watch the telly anymore or they listen to the radio instead of watching the TV.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I'm going to intrude here and tell everyone that I don't have a tv. For three reasons: 1. There's rarely anything on I'd like to watch, 2. I can't afford the licence, 3. My attention span is seldom longer than ten minutes. I just can't sit still for longer than that. That's also why I never go to the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Spiralcars

Have a tv, don't use it, more fun to be had here on afterhours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

bullets wrote: »

I was visiting a buddy that I had not seen in a while before the christmas
    has was having a small bit of a party. Arrived down at his place that he
    was shareing with a few people, and he tells me They delibretly dont have a Telly! ........and instead for entertainment what do they do!! whip out the Acousic guitar and and play a Saw with a violin bow and have an ol sing song.

You should have brought a tv along and got all the women watching it with you. See how the guitar players f**king like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

in vancouver, its pretty normal for a house not to have a tv. we have been moving house a bit and have been viewing a good few also and i'd say out of about 10 homes we've looked at since we got here, 4 had nothing, 3 had a tv with cable and the other 3 had tv's with no cable.

the first house we lived in had a 42" on the wall with a hard drive attached. anything they want to watch they just download. match of the day, the daily show, any hit series'...i even downloaded reeling in the years for the other irish lad there.

im not sure about it being the new cool though but its defineitly the way i think il go when i get back to ireland. the only programmes i watch on rte arn't worth more annually then tv licence fee. but theres no need to go shouting it from the rooftops. i will have a tv, i just wont have cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Markroan

Lol what would people do without their TV ? It would mean they wouldent be living in fantasy brainwashing land and we couldent have that. who would buy all the crap we dont need that fills the void of emptiness in our lives. Keep on watching Sheeple its Great Really I swear :)))) Talking with other people is far to much like hard work anyway who needs it , better to be in a trance in front of a box in the corner that tells you what to think lol

I just moved into a house that has no tv by choice.. Like it grand so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I just moved into a house that has no tv by choice.. Like it grand so far.

Well that's because you have an alternative source for your ads.

Here you are if you are serious :))) This is the Science behind what I am talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VabsRwgT-ws&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Markroan wrote: »
    Lol what would people do without their TV ? It would mean they wouldent be living in fantasy brainwashing land and we couldent have that. who would buy all the crap we dont need that fills the void of emptiness in our lives. Keep on watching Sheeple its Great Really I swear :)))) Talking with other people is far to much like hard work anyway who needs it , better to be in a trance in front of a box in the corner that tells you what to think lol

The funny thing is that you actually believe that's true. You think TV is the only source of ..."brainwashing"? Look around EVERYONE and EVERYTHING is essentially a "brainwashing source", from people who say it only feels like Christmas when there's a turkey/ham so you go out and buy one or the crazes of style of clothes/books/morals/ways of speaking/attitude/pretty much everything that we do that people catch onto. Turning off a tv isn't going to stop anything. That's not even to say the influence of society is a bad thing either.

Thanks for that :))
    Dont think I said TV was the only source of brainwashing I am well aware as you are I am sure, it is not, but it is the source that is in your living room to which you and your kids are particularly succeptable without your even knowing it. Think about it most of what you believe to be true about the world you got it from the Church or the media in most cases without ever questioning "The source or their beliefs and biased opinions" Most people mistakenly believe that if its in the media then it must be true. That is a Pity

wolfric wrote: »
    The funny thing is that you actually believe that's true. You think TV is the only source of ..."brainwashing"? Look around EVERYONE and EVERYTHING is essentially a "brainwashing source", from people who say it only feels like Christmas when there's a turkey/ham so you go out and buy one or the crazes of style of clothes/books/morals/ways of speaking/attitude/pretty much everything that we do that people catch onto. Turning off a tv isn't going to stop anything. That's not even to say the influence of society is a bad thing either.
    The difference is your describing peoples opinions which are not the same thing as a media department using news and programming to influence the general public's opinions.

Advertisement